[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I plan on cycling 1,600 miles from London to Greece. I have no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: 1367373952167.jpg (43 KB, 300x463) Image search: [Google]
1367373952167.jpg
43 KB, 300x463
I plan on cycling 1,600 miles from London to Greece.
I have no bicycle and don't train specifically for biking. But I've been going gym for years and will have every single day off to train until July when I leave.
Any advice?
>>
>>35440162
You're probably going to need a bicycle.
>>
SS+GOMAD
>>
>>35440162
Use the same strategy you'd use for getting stronger: progressive overload. I cycled my fist century (100 miles) over the summer and I got there by adding 5-10 kilometers for every training ride.
>>
>>35440211
this
Also you might want to start training for long distance cycling.
I feel like the answer was right there in your question, OP.
>>
Good luck OP. Take lots of pics and keep us updated throughout your progress.
>>
>>35440211
And a boat.
>>
I was sorta hoping for a routine that I could do adjacent to my bodybuilding (replacing cardio with long distance biking)
Also the different types of bikes since there are loads.
Anyone else done anything similar? It's my version of climbing a mountain
>>
>>35440162
get into the bike community. If you have any friends who like bikes, cycle with them, then cycle with his friends and their friends etc. go up the ladder.
This is so you can learn from the community by participating
>>
>>35440162
you might want to wear a pig-costume to fend of invaders.
>>
>>35440162
Eat right
>>
File: Steve-Prefontaine-Wall-Graphoc.jpg (157 KB, 362x864) Image search: [Google]
Steve-Prefontaine-Wall-Graphoc.jpg
157 KB, 362x864
This is now a Pre thread
RIP you magnificent motherfucker
>>
>>
>>35440162
>Any advice?
Yes.
Stop spending all your time in the gym and ride your goddamned bike.
>>
For those who don't know, Steve Prefontaine was a legendary runner who died young in a car accident.
His philosophy on racing was simply to give it everything you had the entire time; He made people race him.
>Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
>>
File: Stop-Pre.jpg (96 KB, 516x641) Image search: [Google]
Stop-Pre.jpg
96 KB, 516x641
>>
>>35440162
Get a bike now! It took me 5 years to be a competent cyclist. Ride for at least 50 miles every week, preferably a lot more. Fuck the gym, all it does it make you look good. To actually be fit you need to run, cycle, swim and do some circuit training.
>>
>>35440162
you will literally not be ready for that shit
are you 18? you might have a chance in hell of surviving the first 400
but yeah if you're familiar with the kg climb of getting your weights up, it's exactly like that, if you can't bike for a couple hours nonstop atm idk how long you think 1600 miles will take you
>>
>>35440162
>I plan on cycling 1,600 miles from London to Greece.
>I have no bicycle and don't train specifically for biking.
Probably best to drive.
>>
I seriously appreciate any feedback. Even saying that I can't do it helps as it gives me a more realistic approach.

Again: I have literally every day go train for 7 months.
I already go gym and have been for years
I know it'll take me like 2 weeks maybe go make it. Obviously I'll be taking breaks which is why it will take that long. No breaks or sleep can be done jn 8 days.

Should i take a bus to somewhere and then bike? Which places are shit/good to ride in?
Also which countries to atop by in that arent out of the way
>>
>>35441363
You're going to want a very strong core, OP. In addition, I would increase the number of reps you do at a given weight for you leg exercises, since you'll want to get your stamina way, way up
>>
>>35441384
You are talking out of your ass.
>>
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 480x360
>>35441138
>Fuck the gym, all it does it make you look good

wtf am I reading
>>
>>35441301
You don't do it all in one go m8
>>
>>35441404
Please present your argument. Why do we need swollen muscles to be fit? We use/exercise our muscles when we run, swim and cycle. Why do we need them to grow disproportionately large?
>>
Start looking at touring bikes now. You will need to know how to fix your bike if it breaks and how to shift gears especially up/down hills and how the bike handles differently under the load of all your gear. If you are already athletic the physical preparation might take a month max depending on the pace you are trying to set.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.