[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>have a fucked up knee >I messed it up when I was a teenager
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: gaaay.png (73 KB, 300x185) Image search: [Google]
gaaay.png
73 KB, 300x185
>have a fucked up knee
>I messed it up when I was a teenager
>Everything is just fine, I can even put a good amount of weight on it

>do leg day every week because I'm not a moron

>fucking squats
>every time I do squats, my knee hurts.
>do a lmao1pl8=knee pain

what should I do?

do light weight squats only?

try a knee brace?

substitute squats for something else?
>>
>>35427092
Get a form check because it's most likely not great.
>>
>>35427144
my toes naturally point outward, like the pic in my OP.

I've tried to do as proper form as possible, but no matter what there is knee pain.
>>
>>35427179
>knee pain in squats
What part of your foot are you placing pressure. I think I remember knee pain being a symptom of excess weight on the front of your foot. This could be caused by several thing. The first suggested one is just not planting your heels. Rippltits says that the major case of that is not spreading your knees properly, remember your knees should track over the angle of the feet.
Or you could be placing the bar too high on your back , not having a neutral gaze or just poor ankle mobility.
>>
>>35427286
Or if you read my original post, you would see that the knee pain comes from an injury that happened to me years ago.

I am placing most of the weight on my heel, but the pain persists.
>>
>>35427092
Replace squats with some thing else like snatch grip deadlifts or trap bar deadlifts or leg press or something
>>
>>35427367
I like the sound of this, could definitely work
>>
>>35427310
Do a form check video you fucker.
>>
>>35427092
make sure the weight is on your heels, not your toes. also try to look up a few PT exercises. they're always weak as shit and you'll feel stupid doing them, but they can REALLY help. also make sure you're stretching your leg properly for flexibility.

another thing you can try doing is start your workouts with 10 minutes on the bike, just to warm up your knee. I've been dealing with knee issues for years as well, and i'm finally getting shit fixed. i really hope the best for you.

oh, also try taking fish oil every day. i've heard that helps but I don't know why. and ice after workouts.
>>
>>35427092
>>35427310
I have lingering pain for knee injuries too. Throughout high school, college, and the military I have either sprained, strained, or torn everything I've got in both knees. I have poor knee stability, a tear in the medial posterior part of my right meniscus, and scar tissue all up in my shit. Basically, heavy load on my knees are a no-go.

What I've been doing instead is doing lower weight, more reps, a trying to focus on exercises that don't make me bend my knees to deeply. I do lightly weighted lunges, straight-leg deadlifts, and leg extensions. I also do some bullshit p90x, Jane Fonda shit. Light weight on hip thrusts, mule kicks, lateral leg raises, etc.

tl;dr If your knees are fucked up then, depending on the nature of the injury, trying to push a lot of weight to use too much range of motion will only cause more pain and possibly further injury. Sorry bruh, that 5pl8 deadlift just isn't in the cards. Look up some light weight and body weight type routines for your lower body. You can keep your legs strong and cut, but you aren't going to get massive beefcake legs and everybody will accuse you of skipping leg day.

But hey, on the bright side, you'll be able to find jeans that fit.
>>
>>35427525
thanks for the insight dude. happily, my knee doesn't sound as fucked up as yours...but I think I'm gonna replace squats with deadlifts, like you and another anon said. I really don't want knee surgery.
>>
>>35427092
>do leg day every week because I'm not a moron

well you are if you have knee pain and still continue doing squats
>>
>>35427666
It comes and goes, Satan.
>>
>>35427578
Straight-leg deadlifts have been awesome for me now that squats hurt too much. I like to compound them by finishing with a hip thrust and calf raise. So I stand on a small box or something so that I can go down without the plates hitting the floor, keep my legs straight without locking my knees, and bend at the waist while I keep my back straight. Only go down as far as you can before your back starts to curl, then straighten back up. Once you reach the standing position again thrust your hips forward into the bar and come up onto your toes, then hold for a few second. That is one rep, and I typically do 3-4 sets of 10-12. If you do it right then you'll feel it in your glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors, and calves.

As a warning though: start with pretty low weight. I'm 6'0" and 200 lbs and I only do like 160 right now. Go too heavy, too fast and you will fuck up your back.
>>
>>35427092
Go to a fucking doctor. "It's messed up, yo" is not a proper diagnosis.
>>
File: STRAIGHT-LEG2.jpg (69 KB, 544x600) Image search: [Google]
STRAIGHT-LEG2.jpg
69 KB, 544x600
>>35427740
Also, here is some Arnie doing straight leg deadlifts.
>>
>>35427740
Point taken, very much. I've never done straight leg, and I don't want to visit snap city.

>>35427775
It's not debilitating, I only notice it when lifting.

I don't want to pay money for something that is a slight inconvenience :^)
>>
>>35427476
This.

https://youtu.be/bs_Ej32IYgo
https://youtu.be/cNs8swRZL48

Both Alan and Omar have multiple videos on squats.
>>
>>35427847
he meant to post a video of him squatting so we could look at his form dipshit, not watching youtube videos
>>
>>35427092
I used to think my squat form was good after watching all those youtube videos but one day knee pain arrived.

I solved it by using more my glutes (i was doing most of the work with the quads) andalso by not bouncing at the bottom.

hope it helps you as it did to me.
>>
hey guys are knee sleeves worth it?
>>
>>35428723
Yes, they help, but they are not a substitute for good form, if you knees keep hurting with sleeves you are prety fucked.
>>
>>35428723
I like them, but they won't magically fix your form
>>35427092
>Fat fuck kid, knee problems because of it
>Lose weight, strengthen knees
>Almost squatting body weight
We're all going to make it
>>
>>35427740
Prowlers or sled drags are also pretty good depending on your injury. I like them because they limit the ROM but still build a ton of mass. I can push a pretty heavy sled without any pain and get a nice quad, hamstring, and glute activation.

Talk to a sport med doc before doing sled pushes because sometimes the reduced ROM is worse for certain ligament injuries.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.