[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Calisthenics vs Weight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: 2015-12-30-00-28-26-1.png (852 KB, 2375x1330) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-30-00-28-26-1.png
852 KB, 2375x1330
Is Calisthenics just an unwinnable battle for gains?

>Sticky

Yea ok but I've heard complete opposite answers on various threads.

I'm a beginner will it at least help me with gains there?
>>
>>35419969
>Is Calisthenics just an unwinnable battle for gains?

Nope,but is really hard to progres (Reach a good strength and muscular developmen)

You'll get faster and better gains on SS,they are basically the same movements.

push up=bench press

squat=low bar squat

hand stand push ups:militar press

pull up= weighted pull up

And various accessories such as dips-skullcrushes,rows,hyperextensions etc.

>I'm a beginner will it at least help me with gains there?

If you are a skelly you'll see gains even with the worst routines.

If you can't lift the bar you should bulk and do calisthenics for a month or two.
>>
>>35420163
Thanks

Not a skellie though but I dont have a lot of muscle.

For the most part though im feeling sore the day after. That means I'm making some progress right?
>>
>>35420205
No. It means DOMS.
Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.
It's totally normal when you start and don't be afraid to lift if you're still a little sore from your last workou.t you are not doing any damage.
It will go away within a couple weeks if you are consistently working out. You will only feel it again if you start a new exercise or take a long break from lifting. No pain no gain is the biggest exercising meme out there.
>>
>>35420205
>That means I'm making some progress right?

It doesn't always mean that there is "microtraumas" in your muscles, which is tiny damage to the fibers produced by training, and play a significant role in muscle growth.

But if you're following a good routine there shouldn't be any problem.

>>35420322
>It's totally normal when you start and don't be afraid to lift if you're still a little sore from your last workou.t you are not doing any damage.
>It will go away within a couple weeks if you are consistently working out. You will only feel it again if you start a new exercise or take a long break from lifting

Good advice m8.
>>
>>35420322
I hope I didn't come across as an asshole.

When you stop feeling sore and tight after workouts that's when you'll understand why some people describe lifting as thereputic/meditative/stress relieving.

Good luck OP. Stick with it and never be afraid to leave a little gas in the tank for your next workout. Consistency, progression, and recovery builds muscle not how much you can exhaust/push yourself everyday.
>>
>>35420322
>>35420459
Mah man. These replies in this thread are actually legitimate.

I guess my next question is if soreness isnt really a good indicator of a productive work out then what is?
>>
File: 1451458838985s.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1451458838985s.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
can calisthenics every day lead to over training/joint damage?
>>
>>35420503
I'm talking crunches and pullups mostly
>>
>>35420503
Body needs rest to grow brah, if you pushed yourself (which you should be), take a rest day.
>>
>>35420548
I meant they are legit. Like informative and without memes
>>
>>35420581
And actually all the replies were great thanks!
>>
My brother is a member of the strongest street workout tem here in France. See : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLQttaYN9cA He competes (weighted dips/pull ups or muscle ups competitions) and even placed second at a national human flag competition. However he is slowly starting to realise that he has to develop his legs (so squats 3 times a week and that his performances are suffering from the weight he is gaining in his legs

I think he is going to quit to only do powerlifting tho, tired of the monley stuff on the bars
>>
>>35420503
If you train everyday don't do too much volume, like greasing the groove style. If you do 100 crunches i think you should rest.
>>
>>>/asp/848098
>>
>>35420833
Did he never do pistol/shrimp squat?
>>
File: 1339972656533.jpg (20 KB, 222x251) Image search: [Google]
1339972656533.jpg
20 KB, 222x251
>>35419969
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpLvtKtanlY
>>
>>35421535
Ramano plowed through those squats but that was his only strong point really. Makes me wonder if he would have given enough attention to upper body he would probably be more balanced in terms of upper and lower body strength
>>
Sticking to either one is retarded. You lift shit to grow new muscles, you train with bodyweight to get functional strength and control, how hard is that
>>
>>35419969
As a behinner anything is better than nothing.

I suggest doing both though unless you're really tight on money and gyms are too expensive or you'll be unable to make them because your schedule won't allow it..

Read overcoming gravity and starting strength. Don't get caight up that one is better than the other. This is working out. Make them work out for you in harmony and you'll build a better body.
>>
>>35421535
>calisthenic guy rekts lifter in a challenge all about lifting
Top kek
Imagine if one exercises was holding front lever for several minutes, there wouldn't even be a competetion
>>
>>35422074
the first two challenges were calisthenic exercises tho
>>
>>35422168
Technically yes, but is it really calisthenics if you hang 60 kilos on your dick?
>>
>>35422200

Far more than it is powerlifting.

Especially if you're making it a challenge about strength.
>>
>>35419969
If you wanna try progressively increasing weight you can wear a backpack and put heavy shit in it.
Not ideal but better than just doing pressups at the same weight.
>>
A total newbie will have better progress with calisthenics, but will plateau faster (less than one year of dedicated training). After that point, it is better to switch to weights.
Keep in mind that he will still look better than most of fit.
>>
>>35422245
It's important to note here that with good diet (and assuming you didn't start out fat as fuckk) you will be firmly ottermode. If you're going to lift for girls, it's easy to build and maintain ottermode with body weight dips, pull-ups, inverse rows, and push-ups.
>>
>>35420205
imo, you should do barbell training first. On /fit/ it is generally accepted that you should do aesthetics routines after doing strength training because strength training teaches your body how to use your Central Nervous System efficiently, and therefore allows you to hypertrophy more efficiently. The same attitude should be applied to calisthenics, you should do it when your CNS can be properly recruited and moved in order to get the most out of it. Otherwise you wont make much progress
>>
>>35422521
You can build CNS through body weight progressions just like barbell training. Like wtf, do you think your nervous system doesn't grow and develop if it can tell there's no barbell?
Also strength=aesthetics. The idea that you have to do anything at all before working on aesthetics is a meme. If you want to look good and be cut and that's all, there are many more options than powerlifting. If you want to be super strong and impress /fit/, then powerlifting is he only option.
>>
>>35422545
>Like wtf, do you think your nervous system doesn't grow and develop if it can tell there's no barbell?
it does, but not very efficiently because there's not as much progressive overload. Strength and aesthetics aren't 100% the same for a complete beginner, because strength training is about the CNS and aesthetics training is about muscular hypertrophy. Obviously training for strength will still give you aesthetics but it isnt the same sort of training. Im not shitting on calisthenics, i prefer calisthenics to barbell stuff, I just think a beginner should build up their strength first before trying calisthenics
>>
>>35422413
This.
Also, it is more practical. You can cheaply get a pull-up bar, and lift at home every day doing a ABABABR routine - no time wasted moving to the gym, money saved can go to better nutrition, and calisthenics injuries are VERY rare.
>>
>>35422545

>ok muscles he overloaded us
>let's start growing
>come on guys 4scoops
>hnnnnnnnng
>STOP HE DIDNT USE WEIGHTS HE ONLY LIFTED HIS BODY
>DONT GROW, ABORT
>peew that was close
>we almost grew even though he only did bodyweight
>>
>>35422596
What you meant by
>not very efficiently
Was
>not as efficiently as barbell training by a small margin.
Again, nobody is saying you can be as strong as a power lifter from body weight, somebody said that you should do barbell before bw for CNS development, which is blatantly untrue.
You can look great from BW, but you are autistically correct in your opinion that BW won't make you as strong as powerlifting (which nobody disputed)
>>
>>35419969
Efficiency in
building muscle
weights>calisthenics

functional strength
Weights>calisthenics

waving your cock around
>>
>>35421535
Adam's judge on the pull up challenge was much more leniant I think than Romano's when it came to accepting reps. Both of them stretched their chin to get over the bar but only Romano's judge called it a no rep.
>>
>>35420481
Getting your lifts up
>>
I'm vegan and going for bear mode with calisthenics, i'm liking the progress so far.
>>
File: Oh anon.png (477 KB, 560x500) Image search: [Google]
Oh anon.png
477 KB, 560x500
>>35425672
>>
>>35421535
Adam Raw does a mixture of both cali and weight training which will lead to some impressive feats of strength.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.