[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello /fit/ i'd like to know how i train my punching strength.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: power punch.jpg (264 KB, 580x358) Image search: [Google]
power punch.jpg
264 KB, 580x358
hello /fit/

i'd like to know how i train my punching strength.
what are some good workout methods for building it up?
i want to be able to lay down that power punch
>>
Heavy bag workout you tard
>>
>>35404399
for starters, can you punch properly?
>>
>>35404861
yeah, i started boxing 4 months ago
>>
>>35404399
Go to a boxing gym. Box
>>
What's the point? You're better off learning how and when to hit rather than going for one super punch. If you're at least a little /fit/, you should be able to throw a strong punch. Any "strength" you add will be minuscule to the amount of force you're already putting out.
>>
>>35404889
i've been doing muay thai some time ago. We used to do shitton of pushups with some explosive variations like clapping your hands when you throw yourself upward, etc. Also, you need a strong grip
>>
>>35404399
First off technique you will hit harder with proper technique than without
Second plyometrics
Thirdly lift for strength not size the more mass you have the slower your punch and power is more about speed than weight
Also what the other guy said about the heavy bag
>>
pls don't listen to half the shit in here. punching, like any other strike is all about body mechanics, so with saying that work some core and focus on technique.
>>
File: rocky.jpg (31 KB, 720x340) Image search: [Google]
rocky.jpg
31 KB, 720x340
thanks for the answer
i have another question for you
is it unhealthy to drink raw eggs everyday?
>>
>>35404997
What this guy said if you're doing traditional western boxing.

Do some olympic lifts and train endurance.
>>
File: madmemestopmeme2.jpg (56 KB, 960x815) Image search: [Google]
madmemestopmeme2.jpg
56 KB, 960x815
>>35404399
just bench fggt dyel
>>
>>35404399

Go train at a boxing gym. Technique is more important than anything.

If you're looking for just one big punch to lay out a drunk faggot at the bar, and not actually looking to learn how to fight, listen to what others have said. Train strength more than size, you want to stay as light as possible while being a strong as possible.
>>
>>35404912
This. Conor Mcgregor confirmed it and is now champion.
>>
File: rare.jpg (10 KB, 196x257) Image search: [Google]
rare.jpg
10 KB, 196x257
deadlifts, explosive core exercises, form. get a heavy bag and a training partner
>>
Good technique and natural power will be a majority of your punching power, most heavy hitters are born with heavy hands and have "just been" that way. Also don't try to hit harder and get in a habit of loading your punches too much as its a good way to get knocked the fucked out.
>>
Punching power is counter-intuitive. It is not as dependent on arm strength as you'd imagine... Outside of the jab, which requires the arm to turn-over and "snap," the other power punches rely more on form and transfer of motion throughout the body.

Hooks, crosses, and upper-cuts are all about form -- pivoting on the ball of your foot while pulling the knee in, and transferring that through the midsection by rotating the hips. Think of major-leauger swinging a baseball bat; it is a full body motion. In fact, I would go as far to say the most important part of the arm for punching power is not the bicep or tricep, but the forearm that can stabilize the wrist to allow for maximum transfer of force originating in the transfer of motion from the lower body.

Ultimately, it is less about strength and more about muscle memory and being able to piece together all the tiny movements and motions into one fluid transfer of kinetic energy. Some people are born with natural punching power -- heavy hands -- but with very few exceptions the rote repetition of throwing a lot of punches on a heavy bag (strength), speed bag (coordination, fluidity, awareness of exact fist/wrist placement) and Mexican bag (hand/eye coordination, fully-body adjusted movements), will always lead someone to become a better puncher than someone born with power. Of course, to reach to honest, word-class echelon (Frazier, Shavers, Foreman etc), you have to be born to do it.
>>
100 PUSH-UPS, 100 SIT-UPS, 100 SQUATS, 10 KM RUNNING, NO AIR CONDITIONING

EVERYDAY FOR 3 YEARS
>>
>>35408492
xDD
>>
>>35404399
Start boxing.
>>
Adding power to your jab is more about technique. You can look at things like the hammer principle or even some of Bruce Lee's ideas on the straight lead, which is very similar to Jack Dempseys vertical fist jabs that would knock people out.

For hooks, Ive surprisingly found pull-ups to really help, especially to the body, I don't know why but that might be what works for me.

Power in punches is a balance of shifting as much of your weight without telegraphing. Work more on your footwork and focus on being balanced so you can use your weight as best as possible while moving. Start off slow and focus on the fundamentals.
>>
Do lots of research too and test it all out. Ive found Brandon Krause on youtube to be pretty good. All boxers have their little tricks. Like throwing a jab cross. After you throw a jab, think of bringing your jabbing shoulder back quickly while also throwing your cross shoulder forward quickly. Combining that thought with your basic weight transfer is a little trick that works. Just try it out on the heavy bag. Do tons of research. I read Teri Toms book on Bruce Lee's Straight Lead and found lots of cool tricks. I don't know what your opinion on Bruce Lee is but he did a lot of research on the subject of power so it wouldn't hurt to look at his ideas. Stuff like keeping your lead hand in a way where if you extend your index finger, it should point straight to your opponents nose. Stuff like that gives you more speed, and speed kills.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.