[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Time under tension
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: horse stance.jpg (115 KB, 533x400) Image search: [Google]
horse stance.jpg
115 KB, 533x400
What sort of training will time under tension actually give you? for instance, in martial arts they get you to stand in pic related for ages, what does it actually do? will it make your legs stronger? i can squat 3pl8 and still find it tricky to do this for more than 1 minute
>>
>>35403437
That's more for flexibility of imagine, but it will also make your legs a bit stronger too I'd imagine. It's an isometric hold so it should do something and will increase your endurance to hold that position. But it's not an excercise in terms of progressive overload or anything like that. Put it this way, if you started from untrained just holding that position wouldn't give you a 3pl8 squat.
>>
>>35403437
>in martial arts they get you to stand in pic related for ages, what does it actually do?

Endurance mainly. There is some strength benefit, but it's kind of similar to doing a lot of reps.
>>
>>35403437
>>35403867

Forgot to add something in. After I do my normal sets of squats, I redo my warm up weight and try to do as many 2 minute squats as possible. 45 seconds up and down, and holding at the bottom for 30 seconds. I have noticed my endurance, but it hasn't made me stronger. It also helps with proprioception, and dexterity.
>>
>>35403437
Time Under Tension x volume = hypertrophy
>>
>>35403923
u need some intensity too bro
>>
File: Rep-Ranges.png (42 KB, 1008x1008) Image search: [Google]
Rep-Ranges.png
42 KB, 1008x1008
>>35403946
If I understand this right it says intensity makes no difference.
>>
>>35403984
Not him but I'm ASSUMING he refers to weight as intensity.

Volume = repsXsetsXweight
The higher the weight the higher the volume obviously. So higher intensity = higher volume I assume is what he means?
>>
>>35404023
yeah i meant weight as intensity

cause you can get high volume with low intensity but you wont grow shit curling 1kg dumbbells for 100 reps
>>
>>35403984
> Weiss: Hypertrophy the same for people who did 3-5 reps, 13-15reps, and 23-25 reps
> Schoenfeld: Hypertrophy the same for people who did 8-12 reps as did 25-35 reps

bullshit
>>
>>35404038
Of course
3x8x60 = 1440 (volume in arbitrary units)
However if you up the intensity by doing less reps in a set and a higher weight you can gain far more volume with the same overal reps.
8x3x100 = 2400 (volume in arbitrary units)
>>
>>35404080
I wonder whether it would be easier to hit higher levels of volume if you lowered the intensity.
>>
Jeff Cavalier has always said that building muscle is not about moving an object from point A to point B, but rather putting the muscles under tension.

This is why a lot of people recommend going slow on the eccentric portions of exercises.
>>
>>35403437
You, and a lot of others ITT, dont really understand time under tension.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMIWsOBF2ik
learn stuff.
>>
>>35403437
Speaking of martial arts, what fighin' does /fit/ do? I wrestled in highschool and do a bit in college personally. Was good for endurance
>>
>>35404989
systema is the perfect system for big guys; too bad all the plebs can't figure out how to make it work for them....
>>
If you act like a bird you can be one, don't know about other animals.
>>
>>35405498

Systema is almost total bullshit for fat dudes and sperger nerds. It's almost as bad as that invisible chi power telekenesis shit.

Fucking wave energy bullshit. A punch is a punch and the way a heavyweight boxer throws one is the most physiologically powerful way to dump energy into another person.

Systema tries to reinvent the wheel and sell it to people.
>>
>>35404493
pretty good video, thanks breh.
>>
>>35403437
its mostly for discipline and meditations. monks have nothing to do all day so they do martial arts and instead of meditating sitting down they work the body a little at the same time

there is barely any physical benefit over an actual modern program
>>
kung fu training is just a martial arts meme
>>
>>35406173
I know, but they also do it in karate, and kyokushin is pretty legit
>>
>>35404073
>scientific studies disagree with muh broscience a bloo bloo bloo
>>
File: gspcleared.jpg (260 KB, 669x376) Image search: [Google]
gspcleared.jpg
260 KB, 669x376
>>35407584
oh yeah true that
>>
>>35403437
No functional martial art does horse stance faggotry, champ.
>>
>>35405498
>made up vodka magic
Good cyka
>>
>>35407658
>blyat
>>
TUT and Resting time make no difference in hypertrophy, it's all volume and frequency
>>
>>35404989
bjj and muay thai are the non troll answer
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.