[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/SMG/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: familycomputer.jpg (60 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
familycomputer.jpg
60 KB, 720x720
Strongman General, aka. better version of /PLG/

Post everything related to SMG

New PR:s, Articles, Videos

Babbys first time trying out circus dumbbell. Getting that dumbbell to good rack position was hard as fuck, next time I will rep that thing easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwxRYoBENQo

Sorry for shitty lighting
>>
File: image.jpg (685 KB, 1339x1263) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
685 KB, 1339x1263
Is there anything better than this program?
I doubt it
>>
>>35403127
Oh boy an /smg/

Just ordered a pair of farmer's handles from MDUSA yesterday, can't wait to get to train them more often. Hopefully I can get to 250/hand soon
>>
What do you guys think about Fat Gripz?
I´m really thinking about ordering them, because I don´t always have access for thick bars/dumbells.
>>
>>35403493
My gym literally has a piece of pipe that we use for a fat bar. Might be worth a look.

Never used fat grips.
>>
Whats a decent sttongman exercise I can do in a regular gym. Except farmers carries and pl and oly lifts.
>>
>>35403819
Rack pulls?
Pin squats?
Strongman is usually about implements
>>
>>35403819
You can stack bumper plates together and do half-assed atlas stones. Obviously without dropping them from chest height after
>>
>>35403819
Its tough man. Equipment is an unfortunately difficult thing to get around not having.
>>
>>35403819

Variation, variation, variation. The point of gym lifting for Strongman is to build up all the stuff that'll make you good at the events, not to actually match the events.

You can mimic them for practice (I think it was Norsie who used to walk back and forth in the cage zercher style to practice the conans wheel) but the bulk of success is just from getting strong across the board and doing enough conditioning to not die.
>>
>>35405292
this. All of it too, that was me lol.

But yea, squats and deadlifts and rows and presses and some BB on the side is what you want man. Get some higher intensity cardio in to if you can, AMRAP squat and dead sets are cool, doing some almost crossfit like barbell complexes can be useful if you're doing lower duration higher weight.

basically GPP in a nutshell. light / duration cardio isn't a bad idea either, power walking or swimming or something thats low impact and good for your heart is always beneficial
>>
>>35403819
Zercher squats and front squats are good.
bar holds for time.

Honestly strongman is just getting big and strong then learning form, don't make a big deal about simulating the exercises.

For the exercise you really need to learn them 100% the simulations kinda mess you up.
>>
>>35405361

I'd also add that, anecdotally, a greater amount of 'main' exercises seems to be beneficial than you'd see for powerlifting or oly lifting. Its not enough to be phenomenal at, say, lowbar squatting and mediocre at everything else with a bar on your back. It helps way more to be a good lowbar squatter and a good front squatter and a good box squatter etc. Likewise with pressing and pulling because you just get so many different implements from different positions.
>>
>>35405425
agreed. I would actually argue that front squatting is more important for strongman, but yeah the point stands and I agree.
>>
>>35403127
Also make the full sticky.

Find a strongman gym.
http://startingstrongman.com/resources/find/strongman-gyms/

Training without implements
http://startingstrongman.com/2014/07/03/a-guide-to-training-strongman-without-implements/

There are a few others but i will just post on request, honestly starting strongman is the best to find anything.
>>
is strongman even a thing for natties? I mean obviously on world level it isnt but for "normal" meets/competitions?

or do you have to hand in your natty card for strongman?
>>
>>35405476

At the lower level, you can do ok drug-free. You'll still have to deal with going up against enhanced lifters, because most places don't have a separate tested division, but its generally achievable to do OK.

Some places do have a split tested/untested division (I know Australia and I think NZ use the amateur/pro distinction like GPC does in powerlifting) and there is a drug-tested Worlds but it tends to be badly organised and far less notable than WSM.
>>
>>35405476
i have gotten 2nd to a guy who was obviously on at every meet i have done(besides my first meet)

So yes and no, i am normally right behind them and they are normally 3-6 years older then me so there is still hope.

So you can be competitive and have a good time without trading in your natty card but it can be frustrating
>>
Can I be a strongman? I'm 6'1 170 lbs ottermode, I have shit-to-decent range in my lifts (deadlift 3pl8, bench 1.5)

I do lots of cardio in form of BJJ which takes a lot of calories. Does this make it impossible to get big and strong as an ox?

I'm 20 y old if that matters
>>
>>35405601

Its possible, but I don't envy your dietary requirements to do it. Tremendous amounts of food would be required.

At 6'1, you'd be looking at competing at either 205 or 231 to do well. Its a lot of weight to gain, but there's no need to rush it.
>>
>>35405627
To cleafify; I don't want to compete in strongman stuff, I just want to be a strong man. I want to be able to pick stuff and people up with ease and be big.
>>
>>35403493
I have a pair, they work fine but are overpriced
>>
>>35403399
no thank you
>>
>>35405696

Give it time and food, yeah. Its never as easy as it looks though.
>>
Its the end of the year. I know at least some of you have an eye towards what you want to accomplish I the coming 12 months. Lets hear it.

For me:
140kg continental and press
260 deadlift
220 squat
Decent yoke weight.

Big goals considering how much I suck right now, but I've got room to put on some weight so that'll make it easier.
>>
Actually did cardio today sort of. Fucking awful.

Also made some homemade hard candy today. Expected them to not turn out great, but they actually tasted much better than most store-bought candy.
>>
>>35405476
IIRC some Finnish tested fed is gaining traction.
>>
>>35406738
ewww just kidding i have been slowly adding "cardio" passed training to mine, like a few AMRAP with light weight, adding in medleys and more/longer carries.
>>
>>35406437
In American units
280 axle press (232 is current PR)
350 bench (285)
535 squat (440)
550 deadlift (465)
Not sure what to do with my weight. Currently at about 210, so I can still compete at under 200 or under 205, will eventually have to move up to 105kg though
>>
>>35403399
Cant even deal with this b8
>>
File: 463 kg deadlift eddy hall.webm (1 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
463 kg deadlift eddy hall.webm
1 MB, 720x404
>>35405476
yes and no. if you go to the lower level events you're golden and can enjoy not getting BTFO

if you go to level 1's, you're going to see roidmonkeys that have been doing it for 10 years and were born with wrists as thick as your legs....

the low levels are still lots of fun

>>35405538
same lol. nigga is like 5'11" 275 lbs and has abs you could fucking rock climb on. its stupid how much insulin he uses

>>35405601
of couse. you're going to have to train and eat pretty hard but it can be done.

>>35406437
>end of 2014
I gave myself the goals of
>650 raw squat
>425 raw bench
>730+ raw deadlift
>350 lb push press or log press

guess how many of those i've even come close to...

Whats worse, 50% of those are even farther away now than they were then. man, life sucks lol

as for 2016, i think the only realistic goals i should try for are

>650 raw squat OR 700 with wraps if i get back into knee wraps
>425 bench raw
>anything over 700 lbs raw deadlift
>maybe get back to a 300 push press if i'm lucky
>stay @ or around 120 kg body weight

>>35407387
that would be pretty damn cool. Not sure if tested strongman could stand a chance though. half the appeal to strongman is that its cool for fat americans sitting at home flipping through ESPN to watch once in a while. tested would reduce that drastically i think.
>>
>>35409001
>300 push press
Seems p low. What's wrong with your press?
>>
>>35409025

I'm guessing he just hasn't practiced it too much, at least relative to his bench.
>>
File: Log press.webm (2 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
Log press.webm
2 MB, 1440x1080
>>35409025
because it is pretty low. I can't press.

Period. its literally my biggest flaw for strong man. I am not design to press, and will never be good at it.

signing up for comps, if i go to ones where i would be the same level as others, i will almost always bomb out on the OHP. I was training for one (never did it) and knew for a fact that I could slaughter every one in the car squat AND the rising bar deadlift, and place very well in the yoke walk and the stone run, but i was literally worried that the "clean and press away for reps" i wouldn't be able to get a single one lol .Its pathetic, but its what i have to deal with.

webm related was only like, 245 and was considerably difficult
>>
>>35409063

Going based off that webm it looks more of a technical issue than a strength issue.
>>
File: barbell continental clean.webm (2 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
barbell continental clean.webm
2 MB, 1440x1080
>>35409070
maybe, maybe not.

My best bench is only 405. that kinda seems about right to me, albeit on the low side.

I'm sure it is a technical thing, but I'm not certain it can be corrected. by that i mean, i highly doubt ill get the combination of
>time and stress free living to train it how I please
>the actual desire to fix it
>finding someone who knows exactly what i'm doing wrong
>having that same person be able to explain to me what needs to be changed
>having me actually understand what needs to be changed and how to fix it

its literally like the perfect storm, and i don't see it happening any time soon unfortunately.

same weight
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.