[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here have any experience bulking and fighting/martial
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Boxing.jpg (67 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Boxing.jpg
67 KB, 640x360
Does anyone here have any experience bulking and fighting/martial arts training?

I box on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I lift on Wednesday and Saturday. I do full body routines when I lift, since boxing is basically a full body workout anyway. I'm eating above maintenance (500 cals), but I'm starting to get burned out and feeling tired quite a bit (I work 12 hours Mon-Fri). So does anyone here have experience with MMA/Bulking?

Thanks!
>>
File: 1448729685759.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1448729685759.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>35396406
BUmp
>>
That's a very dense schedule to be on, especially if you're trying to gain weight. Eat like a pig or tone down your weekly routine a bit. Depending on what you're working on your lifting days you could be over exerting some of your muscles; try not to kill your shoulders or legs in the gym if you're sparring and doing serious bag work. Muscular exhaustion is a serious concern for any fighter; if you're going to be serious about it putting on weight will be a chore. What does your diet look like and what are you lifting?
>>
>>35396406
bump
>>
File: skdF2bE.jpg (53 KB, 600x898) Image search: [Google]
skdF2bE.jpg
53 KB, 600x898
>>35396725
I'm squatting 275 X 5
Benching 235 X 5
Deadlifting 325 X 5
I weigh 190, but I've got quite a bit of body fat (probably 18-20%)
>>
You're over training. Take some time off or cut back until you feel better. Then, track your morning heart rate when you first wake up. If it's higher than normal, take a slow/rest day.
>>
>>35396784
>overtraining
Get the fuck out you dont know shit
>>
>>35396783
Squatting and deadlifting on both days combined with the sparring will fry you. Stick to one heavy leg day a week and maybe do a combination of back and chest on the other day. Don't fry your shoulders, triceps and legs ok?
>>35396784
I don't know about the heart rate business but basically this.
>>35396853
Please fuck off.
>>
I did the same at the beginning of my lifting journey.

I squatted on one day and on the next day I had a Muay Thai session in which my leg got kicked multiple times for resistance. After that I had to skip my leg day and any sparring session for 8 weeks due to recovery.

I had the same problem with my shoulder. Needed some weeks for recovery.

You need to be really careful.
>>
>>35396877
>>35396870
>>35396784
Thanks for the advice guys
>>
>>35396406
That sounds a lot like my wrestling schedule. Eat more. Do protein 4 times a day one scoop when you wake up, one before you work out, one (or two) after you work out and one before bed. Also creatine is your friend. I have done creatine while in the off season, just lifting weights and stuff and the results were ok. I tried it again later in the middle of wrestling season and the results were great. Way more energy and shorter recovery times. just remember to drink tons of water.
>>
>>35396406
Heres the thing. Martial arts is all about balance. You need to balance out all the hard stuff with some stuff thats easier on the body but still beneficial. Stuff like Yoga, swimming, and chi kung, are great for balancing out all the hard stuff. My routine;
MON- (AM)Kickboxing and yoga (PM)- Pullups, Core, Dips, Sprints. Bagua circle walking.

TUES-(AM) BJJ/Wrestling, lower back, swimming (PM)- Core and vsit to planche to handstand to Russian dips on the parallel bars. Run 38 flights stairs 2x.

WED(AM) Boxing- Heavy bag, mitt work, double end bag, light sparring, drills for footwork, jump rope. Neck exercises. (PM) Yoga and Bagua circle walking

THURS(AM) Forearms and triceps (PM) Kicking training

FRI(AM) BJJ/Wrestling, lowerback, sprints (PM) Difficult Pullups- One arm pull-ups, fingertip pullups, muscle ups. Obliques- human flag, windshield wipers while hanging, V-sit to planche.

SAT- Pretty much work on technique only in the am. Shadow kickboxing and light sparring and drills
(PM) Bagua circle walking and hand stand pushups.

(SUNDAY) Legs- with a weight vest- pistol squats, jumping lunges, jumping squats, lunges with dumbbells, calf raises, jumping exercises. (PM) Circle walking and swimming after shadow boxing and punch training.

I also have other things I do throughout the week depending on which training partner is available. Also do pushups 3x a week but will eliminate those if my arms are tired.
>>
>>35396920
I used to wrestle in HS too, and that's what I used.
>>
Word of advice- Don't keep a full schedule all the time. If you want to really get stronger, take 2-3 months off from sparring and heavy bag training to focus on getting stronger. If you want to get better technique, do the same. Martial arts is not about 7 days a week, its about your whole life. The main thing is to keep evolving in all aspects by doing quality workouts. I went 3 years without sparring or even training with anyone else and I sparred some friends who were Muay Thai guys, Wasn't "rusty" at all and it was exciting to spar someone with all these new "gifts" that I acquired.
>>
Wear a weight vest when doing pull-ups and really diversify the pull-ups you do. Different grips, one armed, finger tips, go as high as you can and hold, work on the negatives. I really focused on pull-ups for 6 months and used creatine as well. I bulked quite a bit and my upper body is now like a small Gorilla because thats essentially what I was going for. Even things like hanging by one arm and holding as long as you can. These workouts all translated very well for grappling because you're training your grip the whole time.
>>
>>35396406
That's a ton of work and only sustainable if you can do nothing but stretch and chill when not training, I.e. are a professional athlete. I found serious lifting incompatible with serious rowing and/or Jiu-Jitsu training. Now I do light but intense circuits when I'm training a sport, and lift heavy when I'm off training.
>>
>>35396870
hell yeah. I only have 1 leg day that incorporates weights. The rest is for kicks, sprints, and running stairs. Its also not a crime to skip leg day for a couple months if you do a lot of kicking. Main thing is you use them.
>>
OP here, thanks for the info guys.
>>
>>35397177
Its all about building a foundation. Ive been training martial arts for 10 years but I have been an athlete for 20 years. Ive done things like run 12 miles with a weight vest 3x a week and 1000 pushups a day for years. I don't do much long distance running now but focus more on sprints and stairs. I created some really difficult pushups as well. When you put your time in, you can eventually "slack" off later and not worry. But you need to develop a solid foundation first.
>>
>>35396784
Damn are you stupid, you have no idea what his boxing training looks like

>>35396870
Did he say how much and how often he was sparring?

>>35396877
What do you mean "got kicked for resistance"? You mean you were injured or?

>>35396933
That is just a terrible way to organize training for athletic performance.
>>
>>35397379
My training revolves around my work.I like how you offer no advice, how long have you been fat?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.