[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How quickly can you improve flexibility?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: Astavakrasana.jpg (1 MB, 3243x2093) Image search: [Google]
Astavakrasana.jpg
1 MB, 3243x2093
How quickly can you improve flexibility?
>>
It's genetic m8. You can improve a LITTLE.

Stretching is only to prevent injury.
>>
>>35389109
Nigga, u wat? As for OP look at the start of /fit/ at the mobility WOD post
>>
>>35388920
Read the sticky
>>
>>35388920
>>35389109
This meme again. OP, try yoga. It'll get you there, but it won't be quickly.
>>
It can take a while. But it probably varies from person to person tho. I'm a fat fuck, but I did fencing for 3 years basically, so I can lunge extremely far
>>
>>35389109
please tell me how stretching prevents injury
>>
>>35390416
it increases your range of motion.
Basically a person that can move from 0 to 50 degrees will get injured if he moves to 70.
a dude who can move from 0 to 90 will have no problem moving to 95 in a pinch
>>
>>35389109
bullshit, if you stretch enough you can get the splits even at age 70.
just stretch everyday and you'll get there eventually.
>>
>>35390452
this.i couldnt even bend-touch my toes and since i started running i've turned into a hindu yoga guru
>>
>>35390438
and where would u possibly be in a situation that had you accidentally in such a dangerous position?
>>
>>35390416
well your muscles can stretch a lot more than your mind knows.

But your mind presses the brakes if they stretch for let's say 10 cm. Just because it never did stretch farther and it doesn't know it's safe so here comes the stretch reflex and bam full on brakes. If you have an accident stretching your muscles to let say 15 cm your mind will brake at 10 but the forces will still go to 15 and that will injure you.

But if you train your mind to stretch to 20 cm then if an accident stretches to 15 cm your mind will have no problem handling that.

Stretching is more of a mental exercise than physical
>>
>>35388920
Quickly, if you use PNF (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation) stretching. It's basically a fancy term for stretching while performing voluntary isometric contractions at the limits of your ROM in any given movement. A lot of flexibility is dictated by tendon and faschia state, yes. So static stretching is important too. A good portion of it is acquiring strength in those ranges though. It really all comes back to the mind/muscle connection, like any other skill or feat.
>>
>>35390489
slipping on a wet pavement or tripping while running.
>>
>>35390507
and where would you possibly encounter these accidents? are you saying stretching would save your muscles in a car accident?
>>35390524
learning to fall and being strong prevents falling injuries way better than stretching
>>
>>35390537
>are you saying stretching would save your muscles in a car accident?
yes,because they will be more flexible and you wont get as much damage from whiplash type movement
>>
>>35390522
Also, I might add, Yoga was originally intended to be done in such a fashion, and also with dynamic isometric tension, and calisthenics as a side activity. DDP Yoga uses these elements quite well.
>>
File: stest.jpg (5 KB, 267x281) Image search: [Google]
stest.jpg
5 KB, 267x281
>>35390507
>>35390416
also you would be surprised how flexible unconscious people are. Most people, if not hindered by hip structure can do a split when knocked out. You can a simple test like pic related to see if you can do a split. There is no connection between legs when splitting so nothing is holding you back, just your mind.

>>35390537
Want an accident? How about a bench press falling too hard? Or a squat? Or falling? There is no situation that an inflexible person is safer. .
>>
>>35390553
lol
>>35390564
i know the mechanism behind stretching
that pic is stupid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNWDwE7-cS0&t=3m48s
>How about a bench press falling too hard? Or a squat? Or falling?
the injuries from those things have very little to do with flexibility
strength on the other hand does
>>
>>35390635
at this point you are just trolling. Just go.
>>
>>35390564
>>35390635
that pic and the pic in the video is nothing alike
>>
>>35390646
at this point you are just retarded. just go
>>35390694
did you see the part at 3m48s? if so, are you retarded too?
>>
>>35390707
yea and they are nothing alike. The guy in the video has a slouched possition, can't even extend his leg. And I specified that if hip structure is not a problem anyone can do the split. The guy in my pic has a much straighter posture, torso is up and both leg are fully extented. If video guy was at 120 degrees, my guy is more like at 160
>>
>>35390737
doesnt change the actual point. that kind of test isnt enough to prove u can do a split.
>>
>>35390522
do you know some legit pnf routine?
a link should be nice anon^^
>>
>>35390785
you dense motherfucker either contribute or stop trolling and gtfo
>>
>>35391073
There are routines, yes; but it is a technique that can be used with any flexibility routine. Flexing hard into a stretch and attempting to relax antagonist muscles is all it is in a nutshell. That is the essence of what Yoga was originally. If more men viewed the practice as isometric strength training, and not just an "easy" health a flexibility routine, classes would not be mostly women.
>>
>>35391073
careful to not over do it. You can get hurt if you do that too much
>>
>>35390522
I don't understand what you just said. Can you just post a video or something?
>>
>>35390452

Yeah, >>35389109 is full of shit.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.