[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Conventional vs sumo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: Pulls33.jpg (257 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Pulls33.jpg
257 KB, 1920x1080
Why is conventional deadlift better for functional strength than sumo deadlift? In real life, if you want to pick something up, you want to lift it with a wider stance and in a more upright position, just like in sumo deadlift.

>2015
>Doesn't pull sumo
>>
>>35388048
jesus shut the fuck up its about having strong hammies
>>
>Not doing both
sorry you're not gonna make it
>>
>>35388048
that half rom dl
hahahahah pathetic
>>
>>35388060
>>35388063
>>35388074

First 3 posts are shit posts. Such is the state of current affairs on /fit/ rip tbqhaf pham
>>
>>35388074
Is lowbar squat half rom squat? The ROM can be reduced ~10%, which isn't that much. In fact, you can even pull from a raised platform if that's a problem.
>>
You should do both. Sumo is great because it focuses more on legs and less in your lower back (well the stress is still huge but less compared to conventional). This allows you to do more volume and it doesn't affect your training as much as conventional. And yeah, in everyday life, sumo form is better for picking up things, obviously.
>>
>>35388063
This anon gets it
>>
>>35388048

Sumo has more quad involvement and less back involvement.

Other than that it's the fucking same.

Lifting weights is not about "being functional", it's about building strength.
>>
File: M23.jpg (44 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
M23.jpg
44 KB, 638x479
Yes, they are pretty much the same. But for functional strength, sumo form is better IMO. And still pple keep saying how deadlift is the best exercise becaue lifting things up in everyday life etc.
>>
File: M34.jpg (44 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
M34.jpg
44 KB, 638x479
>>35388299
>>
File: M45.jpg (35 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
M45.jpg
35 KB, 638x479
>>
>>35388048
>Why is conventional deadlift better for functional strength than sumo deadlift
stop you fucking mong, it's not about 'functional strength'. Pulling sumo just changes the dynamics of the lift
>>
File: 1442630664825.jpg (53 KB, 826x738) Image search: [Google]
1442630664825.jpg
53 KB, 826x738
>>35388299

>lateral hamstring
>medial hamstring

>mfw
>>
Conventional is better because it requires more strength so when you gave to lift something crazy you can swap to sumo and do it easily.
>>
>>35389073
That's a retarded and dangerous philosophy on weight training. If you're pulling 405 deads using 90% of your strength you will be equivalent to pulling 425 sumo using 90% of strength. Muscles will be hit harder in certain areas and develop differently according to that stress. Limb ratio and technique also come into play. Just because you pull 405 dead doesn't mean you can pull 405 sumo. I say try both and stick to whatever is yielding the most positive results until you plateau then switch it up for a few weeks.
>>
take a look a your pic. his hips are lower meaning that his legs are working through a larger range of motion and will fatigue first because of this, whereas a conventional pull starts with higher hips meaning that loads heavy enough to challenge the muscles of the back properly can be used.

maybe you could sumo the same as another guy (with the same limb lengths etc as you) can pull conventionally, and while that means that your legs and back are strong, the other guy's back and legs are stronger.

plus, conventional has more real life benefits. if you push your mate's car when it's broken down, do you take a wide stance or a hip-width stance?

finally, yes the sumo dead is great for functional movements but a lot of what it gives you is already taken care of with squats.

squats and deads = god tier combination.

sumo deads = good but an inferior mix of the two.
>>
>>35388048
Either way mixed grip is AIDS
>>
Funnily enough, I watched this last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOcraX2jCWo
>>
>>35389371
>plus, conventional has more real life benefits
I dunno man, have you ever picked up a moderately sized object? Like a chair, couch, dresser, an old TV, boxes, etc. It's almost always sumo.
>>
>>35388048
Do I need to have an alternating grip? Is it okay to deadlift with both palms facing me?
>>
>>35390226
Alternate grip is just when your grip sucks and is interfering with your ability to pick up the weight. Try not to use it.
>>
>>35390226
No.
I, and a few guys I have heard about only ever use double overhand.
Then again, I am into strongman.
If you plan to compete and can't use straps, the point of the mixed grip is to lift more weight in comp.

When grip fails, use straps.
>>
>>35390121
>sub4plate deadlift detected
>>
>>35390226
Use chalk and hook grip once your double overhand starts to fail.
>>
>>35388521

Biceps femoris vs. Semitendinosus/membranosus brah
>>
>>35390336
>needs chalk to lift a weight
might as well use straps. lifting belt while you're at it?
>>
>>35388299
>>35388309
>>35388320
so sumo works your legs more and conventional your core? that's one easy choice.
>>
>>35390387
Its individual how much your hands sweat. Chalk prevents that. How about you put some oil to your hands while you're at it?
>>
File: trole.jpg (76 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
trole.jpg
76 KB, 500x380
>>35390387
epic bait, my good master trole sir
>>
>>35390322
>no hookgrip faggot detected bcuz "hurtz muh fingers ))):"
>>
>>35389371
>plus, conventional has more real life benefits. if you push your mate's car when it's broken down, do you take a wide stance or a hip-width stance?

Squat would be used, not deadlift, if you're pushing
>>
>>35390322
>Small forearms detected
I can pull 4pl8, i got stuck about 3.5pl8 because my grip was a weak spot but I trained it up and now can do 4pl8
>>
>>35390307
There is literally nothig wrong with mixed grip. It carries no greater risk of injury than hook grip and doesn't lead to imbalances.
Regarding strongman, have fun doing axle deadlifts with overhand (not all contests allow straps)
>>
>>35390540
Hook grip or just normal overhand?
>>
>>35390599
>doesn't lead to imbalances
What is torque?
If you don't alternative your mixed grip you will end up with imbalances. This is said almost everywhere that someone recommended mixed grip
>>
>>35390616
Regular double overhand. Its possible to train up it just takes time. I use double over hand untill my grip fails then use hook grip. I have some straps for if hook fails but haven't needed them yet
>>
>>35390540
>now can do 4pl8
how many reps though?
>>
>>35390867
I'm at 3 reps before I have to hook grip
>>35390669
Here is what I do
>>
>>35390643
Horseshit
I never alternate my underhand and don't have an imbalance. When I do farmers I never hit failure with one hand before the other.
>>
>>35390669
3 reps with 4 plate double overhand is pretty decent, well done. I've been focussing on axle deads recently so I'm using mixed and I'm up to 225kg without chalk
>>
>>35390989
The imbalances are not in your grip. Its shoulders, back and legs to a lesser extent

Holding a bar mixed grip develops a torque. This torque is then transferred to your body

Its only a problem if you only ever do it one way everytime you deadlift, switching it for ~half your reps and you should be fine
To add to that if you do other accessories you should be fine too
>>
>>35388048

sumo is a fine,

but it's a different movement IMO and should be treated as such
>>
Sumo deadlift + front squat for maximum gains you mongs. Why is this even a debate

>mfw I suck at front squat ; ;
>>
File: ouiouitimetobringleserveurdown.png (2 MB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
ouiouitimetobringleserveurdown.png
2 MB, 1280x1920
>conventional deadlift
>not a manlet
>ok
>>
>>35391652
what? the heaviest deadlifts are by people who are 6'+ and pulling conventional. Sumo is more of a manlet thing because of leverages
>>
Conventional hurts my knees, and sumo doesn't. So I do sumo.
>>
>>35391803

Manlet and fat guy thing - a lot of big guys are so chunky that they can't get into the optimal starting position for a conventional deadlift. Which leads to either pulling sumo and accepting a less-than-perfect deadlift (because most tall fat guys would have better numbers with conventional if they could actually get into position) or pulling a Shaw and using a wide stance conventional to give their gut room.
>>
Conventional because I'm not a degenerate homosexual.
>>
File: 1440206481848.gif (2 MB, 176x144) Image search: [Google]
1440206481848.gif
2 MB, 176x144
>>35388048
>functional strength
muh buzzwords
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.