[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does crossfit get such a bad rep on /fit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9
File: tumblr_m9xmn97RMc1qg1vd7[1].jpg (22 KB, 400x476) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m9xmn97RMc1qg1vd7[1].jpg
22 KB, 400x476
Why does crossfit get such a bad rep on /fit/?
>>
>>35387763
because it's shit
>>
>>35387763
Because they promote bad form and celebrate injuries.
>>
I never understood, until I started talking to my coworker who does cross fit. It's more like p90X with lifting instead of only bodyweight shit. Doing high rep lifting when fatigued is a receipe for injuries and no progression. There is no progressive overload.
>>
>>35387763
Because it represents the essential difference between the type of person who uses the gym to isolate himself from his peers and decompress and the type of person who goes to the gym for a goddamn reaffirming hippie love in disguised as a group work out session.

No-one wants to hear about your work out. No-one wants to work out with you. I go to the gym, I put on my big ass headphones and I don't talk to anyone for an hour. that's my "me time".
>>
>>35387885

autist detected.

I work out with buddy, still get swole lifts in, and have a fun chatting.
>>
>>35387894
>possible crossfitter spotted
Pls go
>>
>performing olympic lifts for reps and time
>kipping "pull ups"
>WODs
>no thought behind exercise selection
>no programming
>crossfitters
>>
>>35387916
>swole lifts
>possible crossfitter

I don't think so
>>
>>35387952
The fact they used a phrase like "swole lifts" implies they are at least retarded enough to be a crossfitter
>>
File: mmm.jpg (74 KB, 718x405) Image search: [Google]
mmm.jpg
74 KB, 718x405
No original crossfit is pretty legit. It's the fact that it has become sort of a cult, and they look down on anyone who dosent do crossfit. And the fact that all you have to do to become a "crossfit trainer" is to go their expensive program for like 3 weeks. Which means alot of the trainers are a bunch of soccer moms and retards who haven't even lifted for a year, and now are promoting their own voodoo shit and exercises. Plus its like 250 dollars a month.

But if you find a reputable gym with a good coach with a background in powerlifting or similar it can be great.
>>
>>35387979
>No original crossfit is pretty legit.
it was never "legit". it has always been about doing a bunch of stupid shit in random programming. the goal of crossfit is pretty good, i.e. being well rounded in terms of strength, cardio, flexibility, balance etc., but the way to achieve that has never been through their programming.
>>
You're doing loaded complex movements on a timer. Usually with shit coaching and against other people too.

So you are at a competitive environment with poor knowledge on how to perform the lifts and you're on a timer. What could possibly go wrong? On top of that you're paying out the ass for the ''box'' membership.
>>
>>35387763

The concept is actually pretty likeable; a training schedule that balances strength, agility, cardiovascular endurance, balance etc. would be pretty decent. It is the way CrossFit thinks these are achieved that is the problem. They put trainees through so much dumb shit and stress, injuries become a part of the CrossFit culture.
>>
File: 1263232606.jpg (48 KB, 350x345) Image search: [Google]
1263232606.jpg
48 KB, 350x345
Because /fit/ is retarded and doesn't want to work on their physical fitness. They want to get "ripped" so they can have sex with clubsluts, so the idea of actually being drenched in sweat, physically fatigued and working hard to achieve something is a huge turn off for them.

Crossfit is literally just cardio+weightlifting, it's a great idea, there's a reason why every single person who does crossfit is in great physical shape + has huge muscles, it's a great program. If you want to get strong and fit, crossfit is the way to go. However the problem that /fit/ has with crossfit is basically

>it's dangerous if done incorrectly

Which is literally an argument that can be applied to ANYTHING and /fit/'s insistance of using it over and over and over again at crossfit is just dumb. They take the worst of the worst of crossfit and act like that's what it is, it isn't. If you actually want to a professional crossfit gym, with great trainers, you'd see people working hard, in great shape, using amazing form and not doing anything retarded. /fit/ is just stuck in it's ways. People here read one article 5 years ago and still parrot it like it's fucking infalible fact and will sooner kill themselves that listen to new theories or ideas. I mean it took like 5 years for it to become socially acceptable on /fit/ to tell someone that they're wrong about brosplits. Crossfit is expensive and that's why most people are so quick to criticise it - I can't afford it, so it sucks. And I'm not justifying their ridiculous prices, I'm just saying that that's how it is.

/fit/ loves and praises Klokov, but in the same breath, they'll say he's retarded because he does crossfit.
>>
>>35388091
>every single person who does crossfit is in great physical shape

Lel you've triggered me with some good bait my friend
>>
>>35388143
of course I'm talking about people who do it properly and not every single retard who does it once.
>>
>>35388143
fat bitches with "crossfit" as their hobbies on dating sites. maximum keks
>>
>>35388091
I only read the end but Klokov doesn't do do cross fit. He trains at cross fit boxes and travels the world hosting seminars, focusing on form for the snatch and clean and jerk. He may do the occasional wall assisted handstand pushup or shit but he doesn't do cross fit. He knows better
>>
>>35388091
Yeah but it's dangerous.
>>
You can't get strong doing crossfit. There's a severe lack of consistent programming. Best case scenario, you get decent cardio and mediocre everything else. You're better off doing compound lifts 3x a week and running. The crossfit competitors don't even do crossfit for their training.

It's really a cult thing for people too stupid/undisciplined to workout on their own and program their own shit.
>>
i hate it simply because it's cultish
>>
>>35388091
>it's a great program
Random WODs and no set rate of progression is NOT a program.

If you read the thread you'd know that your whole post is not why /fit/ hates crossfit but nice strawman, bro.
>>
>>35388091
>huge muscles

Y'all look gross. You have huge thighs and abs and no chest or shoulders. And those are the few that actually are not skinny af.

Bodybuilding+running gives you the same cardio with much better aesthetics.
>>
>>35387763
>crossfit
>bad rep

poetry
>>
>>35387952
I bet you're one of those fucking faggots who wears nothing but meme shirts with his workout partner while doing the shittiest dumbbell exercises possible.
>>
>>35388091
>tirade about crossfit haters
>ends with "hurrurrurr ur poor
Must suck having to defend your purchase from all that cognitive dissonance, i feel for you.
>>
>>35387763
-no progressive programming, WODs are random
-competitive between members instead of focused on personal goals
-often use high volume in workouts
-often shown using poor form
-won't shut up

Cross-fit does incorporate a lot of functional movements in the training, but benefits are outweighed by above
>>
It has put $ in the pockets of USA weightlifters-so props for dat. But seriously, a coach told me long ago, lots of people train harder than gold medalists, gold medalists train smarter.
These hardass crossfit WODS are just like tattoos- you'll regret doing it in 10 years
>>
>>35388091
>Crossfit is literally just cardio+weightlifting
If it is, then I do crossfit.

>lift weights for 50 minutes
>rowing machine for 15 minutes

There, I just did crossfit at my $20/mo gym.
>>
>>35388457
Sadly my gym rules require me to wear pants during my workout ;_;
>>
>>35388612
How did you find out about the rule, senpai?
>>
>>35388091
>Crossfit is literally just cardio+weightlifting
Then why not just do cardio & weightlifting?
Why Crossfit?
>>
>>35389502
Why not just do crossfit?
Why cardio and weightlighting?

Goes both ways, m8
>>
>>35388172
>You're better off doing compound lifts 3x a week and running.
I think this is the bottom line for any discussion on crossfit.
The only thing I would add is that some people want to do oly lifting, but those people should seek out an experienced trainer rather than doing crossfit. You can get seriously hurt doing oly if you aren't careful.
>>
>>35389520
Because crossfit is insanely expensive
>>
>>35389520
Because crossfit doesn't prioritize safety
>>
>>35389520
Because designing your own program & going at your own pace is safer & more effective than following some trendy, inconsistent "program" given to you by inexperienced trainers.
>>
>>35387979
I don't know where you got 3 weeks. But the level 1 class is like 5 or 8 hours to certify. Just one day.
>>
File: 1368714252977.jpg (70 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1368714252977.jpg
70 KB, 960x720
>>35388091
>it's a great program
>>
File: 1368714310096.jpg (48 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1368714310096.jpg
48 KB, 960x720
>>35388091
>it's a great program.
>>
File: 1368725872573.jpg (91 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1368725872573.jpg
91 KB, 640x960
>>35388091
>great program
>>
File: yep yep yep.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
yep yep yep.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>35390099
Hold on

Hold the fuck on

What kind of retard thought this was a good idea?

If you wanted to a close grip push press or OHP like that, why wouldn't they just use dumbbells.

>>35390126
What the fuck is the point of this? What the hell does this improve?

>>35390138
Good way to pinch the nerves in your neck.

Also, humans make shitty weights, they fidget too much, and lifting cute girls should only be reserved for showing off.
>>
File: Not Even Once.jpg (47 KB, 842x463) Image search: [Google]
Not Even Once.jpg
47 KB, 842x463
>>35388091
>crossfit is the way to go
>>
>>35390552
wtf? shovel simulator?
>>
>>35387763
Cross fit has a ton of hot women and fit has a ton of fags
>>
>>35388033

It's called a sport or physical activity. You find one or two or threee you like and do it. Then you lift and target muscle groups and such that are used in doing said sport. You will never build a body that is just good at everything. You will have strengths and weaknesses, and you should accept that you can have a good body regardless.
>>
>>35390099
>>35390126
>>35390138
what are those "exercice" called ?
>>
>>35388091
anon you're such a fucking nigger
>>
It's strongman for people who are scared of actually lifting heavy
>>
File: file.png (13 KB, 513x252) Image search: [Google]
file.png
13 KB, 513x252
>>
>>35387763
I used to think what /fit/ does about crossfit, that is was stupid, bad form, faggot pullups etc. but my gym offered a month of free crossfit for new members, so I went.. At this time I had been lifting for about 2 years, so I knew I wouldn't have bad form anyway.
Now I don't know how it works in the rest of the World (Denmark represent!) since crossfit trainers honestly are fucking retards in the US, but here they are very well educated and has been lifting for years themselves.. One of my coaches front squats 222 kg. (496lbs), one coaches a guy trying to qualify for the Rio Olympics - I was really shocked to see that these alleged fags lifted more than any person I ever saw in my gym!
Other than that our workout is divided into 3:
1: 10-15 min. warmup
2. Olympic lifting (always programmed to increase weight week by week for 1½/month followed by a deload week and always a teaching/checking for good form either with a wooden stick or a barbell before we begin to lift).
3. WOD (never heavy oly lifts, and if you're on the "beginners crossfit" there wont even be any weight included).

An about the pullups - beginners/intermediate crossfitters aren't even taught the kipping pullups.. Actually the coaches at my gym doesn't allow the smallest kip, even a liiittle kip with your feet.. They're like "get strong by doing STRICT pullups, then when you can do a shitload you can progress to learn the kipping pullups for competitions).

I think that I've been lucky with my trainers, where they honestly seem like retards in the US - it sucks because it's really a great way to get in shape if done correctly. But then again I see more bad form at my regular gym than in my crossfit gym .
>>
>>35387885
Perhaps this is a pet peeve of yours, but I like to lift with other people. I think it can be awesome as a social activity. The social aspect of crossfit aside, there are many other problems with it that are far more worthy of criticism.

The biggest issue with crossfit is that quantity of exercise is almost always stressed over quality. Good form is always an after thought and over exertion is celebrated. Almost no thought is put into progression and measured improvement, it's just a constant tornado of dick waving revolving around whether you can complete somebody else's poorly designed workout.
>>
>>35393836
Yeah Crossfit is awesome when you take the fucking Crossfit out of it.
>>
>it's a great program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLrCuwMlfKw
>>
>>35393836

What you described is not Crossfit. Crossfit was started in American by the American retards. Whatever it has become somewhere else is something different entirely. I urge you to go to the Crossfit official website and see Crossfit for what it really is:

www.crossfit.com
>>
>>35393836

so you did proper training for 2 years and threw it all away to do garbage

grats, you are a fucking retard. enjoy your stay in snap city.
>>
>>35393946
I have no idea what kind og crossfit Americans do then.. Isn't it oly lifting then a WOD? And you might have misunderstood me - we do oly lifting in the WOD, but we're talking maybe 60lbs press or 80lbs snatch, nothing heavy that will compromise good form..
>>
http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/Crossfit_White_Papers_--_Timeline.html
>>
>>35393953
I do oly lifting all the time, bro.. Squats, front squats, cleans, deadlifts, (strict) pullups etc. Honestly my lifts and gains have only gone up since I started.
Snap city? I think you failed to read through my post; the trainers are educated and great lifters themselves, and there's always focus on good form - we always do whatever excercise with an empty barbell or a wooden stick before the actual lifting, where the trainer checks every persons form before adding weights
>>
>mixed grip back breaker clean and jerk
>muh functional strength

https://youtu.be/M8up6A4QesU
>>
>>35394059

WHY DO CROSSFIT

it's a fucking cult and terribly inefficient

you are literally paying money to waste your time. you think fucking kip ups are as useful as compound movement weightlifting?
>>
>>35394017

Crossfit in America is literally just random assortments of exercises of circuit training posted online done on a timer. For example:

>100 Box Jumps
>Run one mile
>10 Sumo Deadlifts of 135 lbs
>5 minutes of Rowing
>25 Oly Snatches of 95 lbs
>Repeat as many times as you can in 1 hour
>>
>>35394017
>I have no idea what kind og crossfit Americans do then.
it's not about country, it's about crossfit having no sort of quality control. there are excellent crossfit boxes all over the world, terrible ones and everything in between. the good ones, like possibly yours, don't actually do crossfit, they take out the retarded shit and focus on productive training. the "problem" here is that the retarded shit is what sets crossfit apart from just regular training that people have been doing for decades.
>>
>>35394074
Did you even read my post? It's like 90% Olympic Lifting.. That means squats, front squats, deadlifts, pullups etc. and absolutely zero kipping.. And that's not for time, it's heavy fucking squats like 5x5 or 5x3..
Regarding it being a cult I don't see it here in Danmark - honestly it's really just another one of "those classes offered by the gym" even though it's og course way more than that equiptment-, training- and facility wise..
>>
>>35394133
Arh, okay, good point. So basically Crossfit is a 1-hour WOD of cardio that will exhaust you and then some oly lifts mixed in? I can see how people are prone to injury then..
>>
as an olympic weightlifter, please stop saying oly.

calling it weightlifting. the name of the sport is olympic weightlifting. you can even delete the olympic part if youre felling edgy.

nothing outs you faster as not knowing shit than saying you do "oly" - and then include exercises that aren't related to weightlifting at all.
>>
>>35394082
Well okay, I get it then.. I get the hate - guess I'm lucky my alleged Crossfit is not real retard-Crossfit then..
But why would people exhaust themselves to the point of throwing up and THEN do oly lifts? I guess that proves /fit/s point.
>>
>>35394173

>muh cleans!

you arent doing pulldowns, bench, and so on.

why the fuck are you willingly picking an inferior method of training?
>>
>>35388091
Top quality bait my friend, Its been a long time since I saw such a good bait
>>
>>35394289
I'm doing rows and heavy DL's instead of pulldowns, and yes, I'm doing bench..

"Inferior method of training"? Do you tell that to a runner aswell? Or maybe a soccer player? Bro, not all types of training are inferior just because it doesn't fit your workout.. We all have different goals..
>>
Because recent crossfit is nothing but a label that sounds good to people that are neither impressively strong or impressively fast, impressively conditioned etc. Basically, pussies who can't lift serious shit or place in a triathlon can join one of those gyms and say "I do crossfit" which sounds good to normies. Feel bad for those few actual crossfit athletes.
>>
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/2ab7c2f7000a207_692509_th.jpg
>dat form
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.