[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard is it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Tough-Mudder-hi-res.jpg (373 KB, 1019x658) Image search: [Google]
Tough-Mudder-hi-res.jpg
373 KB, 1019x658
How hard is a tough mudder? Is it just for runners that are not totally weak? I just saw that the hall of fame has no one doing more than a 100 miles in 24 hours (which is far from what a good ultra runner would do).
Has anyone on /fit/ competed in it? Are the obstacles hard?
>>
>>35387019
if you are fit its easy if you are a fat fuck its hard
>>
>>35387019

They're not that hard. Unless you're a damn fast runner - those guys get a clear run at all the obstacles, everyone else gets stuck in the cluster because there's more people in the pack than can attempt the obstacle at any one time.

You wouldn't get any serious ultradistancers doing it, so I dunno why you'd expect to see many of them in the hall of fame.
>>
>>35387034
Top price for the World Championship is $10,000 nothing great but but it is not like ultrarunning is paying loads anyway.
>>
>>35387034
I heard of that too, I wonder how they do it at the worlds, it is for 24 hours so it probably matters less.
>>
>>35387139

No idea. If they're smart, they'll stagger the start times according to expected performance but since they're allowing signups with no previous TM results that probably isn't possible.

On the other hand, the length ought to trim down the signup list pretty significantly so it might not even be an issue.
>>
>>35387019
If you're in decent shape it's not too hard. Some obstacles are a pain because of cold water, electricity etc. But physically everyone can do it, given enough time.

All in all it's just great fun with like minded people, and the overall atmosphere is great.
>>
I did one when i was a 15 year old skelly, they're easy.
>>
>>35387019
It's not challenging if you can run middle distance to any competent level.

It's literally so white collar workers can feel they've achieved something outside of their lives of drudgery.
>>
If it's at a ski resort it'll suck. The obstacles aren't hard, it's the cold and the black diamond hill climbs that get to you
>>
>>35387386
>>35387591

These two pretty much sum it up. I keep going back because it's fun to do with friends, but I don't feel like it's a particularly noteworthy achievement. Also fun to hear people screaming in the electricity obstacles.

Word of advice: Be careful of who you invite to join up. I've had friends go who have almost no cardio conditioning, and those are the ones who cramp once you hit the ice water obstacles or early on just from running. I've done 3, and every time there's someone who wasn't in shape that locked up in the first half and we wound up walking most of the second half.
>>
It isn't hard. I just did my first one this September for the company team and I hard fun. Work on cardio mainly. The obstacles are a joke. Just get used to being groped in every possible way.
>>
>>35387019
It's very manageable after a few months of training. The "hardcore" facebook posts you see are meant to make people feel like badasses and promote the social circle jerk which brings TM the big $. That said, I enjoyed it and will be doing another next year.

The obstacles are not hard per se. The tougher ones are more about making you feel uncomfortable--scared of heights? Can you handle intense cold? That kind of thing. Only a couple obstacles proved tough strength-wise, and thats because we tried to be cocky (log carry and warrior carry).

The running is not hard per se. Because of the obstacles, the mud, and the steep inclines, you are not running the entire thing. Depending on the course, you might jog half and walk half, and you can walk whenever you need to rest.
>>
>>35389071
london?
>>
>>35387922

This. Go with reasonably fit friends. It's more fun for the social hanging out before and after.

Did Tahoe the last 2 years, rented a house, was fun.
>>
I'm more interested in their World Championships which is 24hours race.
>>
If you're concerned, try one of the off brand ones like Warrior Dash. I'm a fat fuck and I was able to get through it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.