[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Front bar squats vs back bar squats I never see many people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 10
File: mastering-front-squat-main.jpg (52 KB, 594x514) Image search: [Google]
mastering-front-squat-main.jpg
52 KB, 594x514
Front bar squats vs back bar squats

I never see many people doing front bar squats, but whenever I do, they have much more elite looking bodies and more defined muscles.

Is front bar better?
>>
Bunp for intrest
>>
i've never tried front bar either
bump
>>
>>35385889
I tried doing Front Squats (because no squat rack OP), and they are hell on the core if your form is right. Can recommendo
>>
One isn't better than the other.
They just emphasize different muscle groups.
If you want to work them into your program, go for it.
It might be a good idea to do both front and back each week for variety.
>>
I think front squats are just more difficult. So your PR for front squats will be lower than back squats. I dunno much else though
>>
I do a fair amount of front squats and honestly the only difference I notice is that it's way harder on my upper back. However, I don't get as good of a leg workout because my back squat >>> front squat. Front squats are also good if you do a lot of cleans and olympic lifts
>>
>>35385914
Is your front squat load heavier or lighter than back?
>>
they fucked up my wrists senpai
>>
>>35385889
Front squats are the most quad-dominant variant of squats and work your core pretty hard. They're good if you what more quad work or have a hurt back but can still get the form right.
>>
>>35385939
Does front squat induce more tension/injury next day on back or legs/glutes?
>>
>>35385946
This. Its a great way to blast your quads, but its harder to perform heavy. Learn how do them, and they will be rewarding
>>
>>35385944
From what i've read, it's suggested that majority of weight should rest on your shoulders rather than gripping the bar. So, even if the bar rests mainly on shoulders, does it still fuck wrisits from supporting the weight?
>>
>>35385965
Do they work the glutes at all?
>>
>>35385943
Lighter
>>
>>35385983
Yes, just like squats it hits lower body, just more weight on your quads.
>>
I've been doing it for years. Front hits quads and core and back squat hits glutes and lower back more. Weight wise I do my front squats 50lbs less than back squat.

The reason you see more elite people do front is that it's an extremely painful and uncomfortable lift for the first 6 months or so that you do it, and takes a lot of mobility. So people who do it comfortably were probably forced by a good coach to it and have been lifting for a while
>>
>>35385889
>is front squat better*
Not necessarily. There is something to be said for lifting heavy, and there is no better way to do that than a heavy back squat.

Front squats are fun, but some people don't quite do them right when they're starting out. IMO just pick a squat and learn it first instead of using training economy on different squat types. High bar is generally pretty pleb, low bar is my recommendation.

No, one type of squat does not make someone have "more defined muscles", chances are they have been lifting for a while and are comfortable working those in to their program.

Also the form in the picture is beyond garbage.
>>
>>35386191
>High bar is generally pretty pleb, low bar is my recommendation.
your a fucking clown if you honestly think that
>>
>>35386245
Huhuhu
High bar is shit unless you're training snatch or something. Low bar is the most stimulus because you're using the most muscle mass
>>
>I never see many people doing front bar squats, but whenever I do, they have much more elite looking bodies and more defined muscles.
thats kinda like saying "all the people i see doing board presses bench 4plate". it doesnt mean board pressing will get you a4plate bench (or front squats will give you more definition), but that it's a more reasonable exercise to do when you are stronger.
>>
>>35386191
sorry senpai gonna have to disagree people who do lowbar squats tend to have bigger outter quads than those who do highbar with a narrow foot stance. Also lowbar works your posterior where highbar works anterior
>>
>>35386191
>High bar is generally pretty pleb
wtf is this shit
>>
>>35385889
Holy fuck when are you dyel fucks going to touch a bar
>>
>>35386267
You are fucking retarded and probably can't squat shit
>>
File: 20151227_005824-1.jpg (2 MB, 1700x2137) Image search: [Google]
20151227_005824-1.jpg
2 MB, 1700x2137
>>35386272
Go ahead tell me why you think it's better

If you say "more quads" I'm going to just laugh and ignore the rest of your post

>>35386267
Nah senpai as you can see my vmo is considerably bigger than my VL. Sorry I had to crop it away from my balls

Also, high bar and low bar work similar muscles, high bar is just a little less efficient (or simply uses less muscle mass)

There are two reasons to squat high bar:
You want to emulate a catch position of a snatch or you want to train with so much squat volume, you'd over train with low bar

>>35386266
Yeah, this.
>>
>>35386263
i think your just saying that because you have a shit squat and you try to justify it by doing a retarded good morning.
>High bar is shit unless you're training snatch or something
high bar transfers over well to snatch but to say its shit its absolutely ridiculous almost as dumb to say fuck squats and just do leg press instead
>>
>>35385889
I do a lot of front squats and believe me, I don't look elite at all
>>
>>35386298
If you say "vmo" I'm going to just laugh and ignore the rest of your post

(not anyone you responded to btw)
>>
>>35386302
Squat is my weakest lift and it's 460, which is literally top 95 percentile of this board according to the /fit/ census. Is it wrong to assume I squat more than you?
>>
>>35386298
>transfers to snatch
>snatch
You mean clean and jerk bud. Snatch works a similar position to the front squat, but the front squat emulates the clean recovery position of the c&j
>>
>>35386298
Fucking ew
>>
>>35386298
Mirin tumor gains
>>
>>35386312
No I mean snatch. The squat that emulates clean is obviously a front squat.

I said high bar, not front squat though

>>35386315
Really? This website is brimming with disgusting images and you decided to comment on this one?
>>
>>35385889
>front squats
Aka the only exercise that's worse for your knees than back squats. Enjoy your aches and pains when you're 40 I'm sure that "VMO" was worth it
>>
>>35386294
i think he was trying to refer to stance width when doing lowbar and if he was hes actually right. Rip explains this on his yt channel cant be bothered to find it right now.
>>
>>35386329
High bar doesn't emulate the snatch as I said before, the variations with most specificity are overhead squats and front squats, in that order.
>>
>>35386341
Rippetoe is the same retarded fuck that says accessories are useless and tells people to do gomad and 'hit their fahves'
>>
>>35386350

If rip genuinely thought accessories were useless, the book wouldn't have a whole chapter on them and he wouldn't have done so many videos on what he thinks are great accessories (dude has the largest possible Texan hardon for lying tricep extensions, to name one).
>>
>>35386350
He's just obsessed about his own methods. Then again, how many succesful lifters you know, that rippletits coached?
>>
>>35386361
Holy fuck it's obvious you fell for the rippletits meme frendo ;-)
>>
>>35386310
actually our squat is pretty close I'm at 440 for a triple as of 2 weeks ago. wow I geuss /fit/ really doesnt lift anymore havn't posted in a few years thats why i dont recognize your trip. I dont know I geuss its about preference Highbar seems more natural fo me where as lowbar seems like im about to snap my shit up and this is coming from a guy who was taught how to squat lowbar back in Highschool. After years of judo and fucking my joints up highbar just feels right and being bowlegged doesnt help much either.
>>
>>3538636
A fucking monkey could teach people how to pick up a bar, what would you call successful?
>>
>>35386331
true but back squats are perfectly safe your your knees if you do a proper lowbar
>>35386362
nice authority fallacy
rippetoe only coaches novices
>>
>>35386377
>being this new
>>
>>35386400
>squats 500lbs
>new
You remind me of supermang, except more retarded
>>
>>35386329
High bar is great for volume training and for leg development in general. Low bar is probably better, because for most pple its the stronger version of a squat. But then again, you can't do as much volume because its heavier for your lower back and CNS. I find it much better to use HB on my workouts when i do more heavy deadlifts.

But the most important thing is, that lifting should be fun. I don't enjoy LB as much as HB. And my progress with HB is good enough (and if it were not, i'd blame recovery before blaming my squat style).

I'd link the video about oly squat vs powerlifting squat but...
>>
>>35385944
>i don't know how to rack weight, because i am a dumbass
you fucking deserve more than just fucked up wrist.

hope you die, faggot.
>>
File: rainbow pl8.gif (2 MB, 272x239) Image search: [Google]
rainbow pl8.gif
2 MB, 272x239
>>35386191
>high bar
>pleb
yea, the more technical and efficacious of the two back squats is for plebeians...

you fucking faggot
>>
>>35386438
Highbar master-race
>>
>>35386414
>estatting this much
yeah bro we believe you
>>
>>35386438
how do you think highbar is more efficacious? or even more technical?
>>
>>35386447
because he saw someone else meme it and has no ability to think for himself.
>>
>>35386447
efficacious as in developing leg strength and mass

technicality is obvious to the point where i am confused as to how to elaborate on it.

that is like asking how a snatch is more technical than a barbell shrug.

it just fucking is.
>>
>>35386454
the only meme i have seen is that shit-tier comic showing that some guy low bar like 5pl8 and some ATG high bar guy doing less than one pl8

in reality oly lifters and fatfucks (read: powerlifters) can both squat 4pl8, it is just normies and educated lifters alike are less impressed by half-reppers
>>
File: powerlifting general.jpg (606 KB, 2260x1728) Image search: [Google]
powerlifting general.jpg
606 KB, 2260x1728
>>35386454
hi there /plg/
>>
>>35386455
>efficacious as in developing leg strength and mass
not really, lowbar involves more muscle mass and more ROM for the hip musculature
>it just fucking is.
no, it really isn't. i agree it can be more difficult cause you might need some more ankle flexibility but that doesnt really make it more technical
>>
>>35386462
>being this mad you squat babby weight
keep being dyel as fuck bro
>>
>>35386471
even outside of mobility the lift is far more technical.

it is at least as technical as a half rep, and then more so because it completes the ROM

also it hits hip flexors and extensors more than lowbar
>more ROM for the hip musculature
is a crock of shit
>>
>>35386477
>tfw i squat more than you and i don't even half-rep it

literally had to stop squatting because was t-rexing it.

just do plyometrics for thighs, and train glutes/calves nowadays
>>
>>35386483
>it is at least as technical as a half rep, and then more so because it completes the ROM
oh youre one of those guys who think the hip crease - knee joint for depth equals ROM.

lowbar has more hip ROM, highbar has more knee ROM.

>also it hits hip flexors and extensors more than lowbar
how the hell does a squat hit your hip flexors? it's not like you need to actively pull yourself into the squat faster than what the gravity can pull you.
>is a crock of shit
go look at people squatting.
>>
>>35386477
see
>>35385084

then realize how BTFO you just got

>no belt
>twice the range of motion
>significantly more weight
>>
>>35386500
>lowbar has more hip ROM, highbar has more knee ROM.
that is quite possibly the stupidest thing i have ever seen.

highbar has more hip rom

if your knees are tucked up to your chest, your hips are flexed further than if your knees are to your waist.

>how the hell does a squat hit your hip flexors?
isometrically., same way a bench can hit your biceps.
>>
>>35386501
>the one Chinese guy who is a genetic freak among genetic freaks means weightlifters are generally stronger than powerlifters
He is literally the product of years of the Chinese selecting from millions of people filtered down to the actually number one possible person in terms of leverages, discipline, genetics and pumped full of top of the line drugs.

Also your "muh atg" isn't actually much lower than any reputable feds depth, his hip crease is just barely past parallel. Always funny watching elitist dyels on fit talk about how great their type of squat is when they squat fucking babby weight and say shit like "muh legs got to big to squat".
>>
>>35385889
Any person doing more variations of a lift will have a better body than a cookie-cutter fatso who only does 8 movements.

Every time you see a guy doing 2pl8 incline presses and actually using machines right, you know he'll have a better chest than the guy who boasts a 275lbs paused bench.

A guy who also does bodybuilding-style deadlifts will have a better back and hamstrings than somebody who doesn't.
>>
>>35386263
Huhuhu
Curls are only good when you train for chinups
Bench press activates more muscle mass
>>
>>35386519
>the strongest oly lifter blows the fuck out of the strongest powerlifter
even though the oly lifter is doing an exercise that is more difficult with the same amount of objective weight.

so the strongest power lifter is still too weak to do a proper squat with an impressive amount of weight

plus, the average oly lifter is also much more impressive physically than the average powerlifter.
>>35386470
pic related
>>
>>35386513
>highbar has more hip rom
go actually look at people squatting and come back. just fucking google search lowbar vs highbar and youll notice 99% of the pics show lowbar having the knees closer to the chest
>isometrically., same way a bench can hit your biceps.
the amount they are used is practically irrelevant and elbow joint =/= hip joint. they have different needs for stabilisation.
>>
>>35386533
i actually unironically agree with this, and i am a highbar fag.
>>
>>35386519

To be fair, I'd bet that the elite weightlifters coming out of, say, china or Russia (or any other country that really cares about oly lifting) probably do blow out equivalent powerlifters on average. For the same reason professional football players in America or rugby players in the commonwealth etc tend to have better genetics than powerlifters - when you've got more money and a much bigger talent pool, you damn well should be getting an advantage from it.
>>
>>35386537
>youll notice 99% of the pics show lowbar having the knees closer to the chest
literally the opposite.

i just googled to double check.

that was 100% the opposite of truth.

also i didn't say squats are a good way to target hip flexors, i said highbar hits flexors and extensors more than lowbar, which is true
>>
Meme lift and terrible for your wrists
>>
>>35386519
>glutes touching heels
>isn't actually much lower than powerlifting depth
fucking kill yourself
>>
>>35386562
>terrible for your wrists
confirmed for knowing less than nothing about front squats or how to properly rack weight.

0/10
>>
>>35386550
That's pretty much my point, the amount of money nations like China and Russia put into WL compared to most powerlifters just being armatures, it's no fucking wonder that WL have people better at squatting. Still doesn't change that all the people who post about "muh atg" are dyel fucks who squat <2 plate and look like shit.

>>35386566
pros of having short femurs and being built for squatting.
>>
>>35386571
yea fuck that guy, he should have squatted deeper until his glutes went through his feet.

no but seriously, fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>35386571

Agreed. A better (but still by no means perfect) comparison would be US weightlifters or equivalent to that countries IPF powerlifters.

Both small sports, largely amateur and subjected to decent (but not perfect) drug testing. The results end up suggesting fairly similar levels of proficiency overall.
>>
File: asd.png (2 MB, 1650x837) Image search: [Google]
asd.png
2 MB, 1650x837
>>35386551
>literally the opposite.
you wot m8
>>
>>35385889
Front: Back and core is limiting factor
High: Balanced
Low: Legs and Hips are limiting factor
>>
>>35386613
>high bar squatting to parallel
0/10
nice try fag
>>
>>35386613
look at alan thrall.
knees WAAAY closer to chest on highbar.
>>
>>35386648
limiting factors:
Front: quads and back
High: quads and glutes
Low: quads, hammies, glutes, back

fixed that for you
>>35386669
not everyone is lu xiaojun
>>35386675
hes not even close to his bottom position for the lowbar squat
>>
>>35386682
>not everyone is lu xiaojun
but literally everyone can squat to full depth, instead of to parallel.....
>>
>>35386727
depends of your definition of full depth. and squatting two inches below parallel won't change the fact that most people have more hip rom in a low bar squat
>>
>>35386738
>implying the definition of full depth is subjective or up for debate

are your glutes resting on your heels?
no?
not at full depth.

and high bar is maximum hip rom.

low bar might maybe come close to approaching that if you're lucky
>>
>>35386765
>are your glutes resting on your heels?
not nearly everyone can reach that kind of depth, no matter how much they stretch. and squatting also consists of hip ROM. youre only judging knee ROM there.
>and high bar is maximum hip rom
what makes you think so?
>>
>>35386783
>not nearly everyone can reach that kind of depth, no matter how much they stretch
buuuuuullshit

took me like a week to stretch enough to do that without weightlifting shoes, and i am incredibly inflexible.

also knee rom only becomes a factor once hip rom is maximized.

you go to your full range of motion with hips, then only your knees can continue to the movement, because hip ROM is maxed out.

>what makes you think so?
a literal tenuous understanding of anatomy is all that is required
>>
>>35386798
>i can do it
>therefore everyone can do it
impeccable logic

>also knee rom only becomes a factor once hip rom is maximized.
no shit, but highbar squats do not reach full hip rom for most people
>a literal tenuous understanding of anatomy is all that is required
oh the irony
>>
Fucking love front squats, they're so comfy.
>>
>>35386809
>i am highly inflexible, and did it with minimal training
>it is also a position you have evolved to rest in

sounds impossible tbhfam.

>no shit, but highbar squats do not reach full hip rom for most people

it reaches full hip rom for 100% of people squatting to proper depth

>oh the irony
you having a literally less-than-tenuous understanding of human anatomy is not ironic in any way.
>>
>>35386836

The bottom position of a third-world squat is significantly different to a weighted squat, unless you enjoy blowing out your spine or knees.
>>
>>35386841
not really.
as long as your spine is straight, there is no knee-cave, and you are on mid-foot.... you are pretty much golden.

you don't want forward knee travel to be too excessive, but if you are on midfoot, that shouldn't be an issue anyways.
>>
>>35386836
>i am highly inflexible
how would you for example know if your ankles are inflexible? what would make you think so?

you having a literally less-than-tenuous understanding of human anatomy is ironic.

this >>35386841
and babies squatting in a good squat is different than adult people squatting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPo5gpVrA9E

>>35386850
>as long as your spine is straight, there is no knee-cave, and you are on mid-foot.... you are pretty much golden.
we were not evolved to rest in such a position
>>
>>35386841
how so?
>>
>>35386850

Two of those three things are notably not the case with the standard form of the third-world squat.
>>
>>35386855

If you watch someone just sitting in the bottomed out position of a slav squat or similar they've almost always got a rounded back and/or raised heels.

That's fine as a replacement to sitting around but its a remarkably bad idea under load.
>>
>>35386854
>how would you for example know if your ankles are inflexible? what would make you think so?
my everything was inflexible, and it was obvious,

couldnt even touch my toes...

>we were not evolved to rest in a resting squat

10/10 you got me.
nice troll.
i am going to bed now
>>
>>35386861
my resting squat is with a straight spine and midfoot.

just like ido portal says a resting squat should be
>>
File: 1.jpg (645 KB, 3072x1728) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
645 KB, 3072x1728
I squat only on front, I still have ass tho :) good overall leg, core & upper back exercise.
>>
>>35386861
>almost always
maybe a slight majority of the time.

but what about the other times?
>>
>>35386884
touching your toes is a poor test of anything and you might still well had good ankle flexibility and favourable proportions

you were not evolved to rest in a perfect squat
>>35386895
well i guess if ido portal says so then it must be so!
>>
>>35386913
>you shouldn't trust an expert in movement
>trust some rando shitposter on 4chan instead!
awesome advice, guy!

>tfw in a resting squat with straight spine as i am typing this right now

look at mcgregor's resting squat in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnOGyqhhpZs

granted he is not ass to grass, but that is only so he can lean his elbows on his knees.

that spine is straight as fuck.
>>
>M-muh ayy tee gee highbar that other people than me do!
>M-muh 300 kg lowbar that other people than me do!
You're literally arguing about what kind of 300 kg squat is more impressive when neither of you can squat ATG or over 4pl8
>>
>>35386935
>expert in movement
lol

>tfw in a resting squat with straight spine as i am typing this right now
never said you couldnt be in such, but MOST people wont be able to achieve that. just basing that on going outside and seeing people squat in third world countries.
cant see your shitty video which wouldnt prove anything anyway
>>
Front squat vs lunges. Which one?
>>
>>35386971

Depends on your goals.

I prefer front squats, but that's largely related to how much they help both my deadlift and my stone loading.
>>
>>35386682
Core is limiting factor before back for FSQ. It's why you see people cave forward
>>
>>35387218

Quite often they cave because the upper back folds first and there's no way the abs have the leverage to keep you up straight once that goes.
>>
>>35386191
>High bar is generally pretty pleb, low bar is my recommendation.
fat fuck detected
>>
>>35387218
your core has nothing to do with "caving forward". your core only affects your back extension, not its angle.
>>
How does one do front squat without tearing your wrists open? That's 100+kg resting on them. Surely that's the most painful and dangerous exercise possible?
>>
>>35387319

The weight never rests on your wrists.
>>
>>35387324
Looking at the OP that guy's wrists are the only thing stopping the bar from rolling forward. That's also my experience doing them with the empty bar.
>>
>>35387336

OP pic has worse form on front squats than I do, and mine is so bad the local oly coach literally shook his head and walked away.
>>
I do both, squat twice a week and frontS' once a week. They kill my core and i can barely put up 120kg frontsquat although i can do 200 highbar
>>
>>35386533
But bench press doesn't activate more muscle mass. Look at how small the kinetic chain is compared to the press

>>35386438
High bar is inherently less technical

>>35387286
What does this have to do with anything though? Besides from your lack of ability to counter argue?

>>35386380
Yeah I've been tripping for the last year, been lifting for just over 2 years

>bow legged
Klolov and several good lifters are bow legged. I thought having that varus collapse could actually be a good thing for squatting.

Of course it's all about preference though, high bar, low bar, whatever. If you're squatting as a staple, you're doing fine. This is the minutiae of training we're talking about now
>>
>>35387486
>But bench press doesn't activate more muscle mass. Look at how small the kinetic chain is compared to the press
Would you mind elaborating on this for me please.
>>
>>35387336
It's supposed to be racked on your shoulders, you hands only keep the bar in position but don't in fact take the weight
>>
>>35386302
>retarded good morning
yeah let's just disregard maintaining neutral spine position throughout the movement so the weight stays centered over midfoot
>>
>>35387506
In a nutshell what I'm saying is that press uses more muscle mass than bench (pretty much your whole body) where bench uses little more than pecs, delts, triceps, and whatever muscles stabilize the aforementioned.
>>
>>35385977
You just need the wrist flexability to keep the bar in place in your delts. It took me like 2 sessions to get the wrist flexability to do it Olympic style.
>>
>recovering from back injury
I did one set of 240 for 5 last week on front squat.

Am I making it yet, guys?
>>
>>35389288
yes
>>
>>35385954
If anything you'll feel it more in your abs and quads, but you may feel a burn in your upper-mid back too.
>>
>>35387486
low bar squats are a fucking joke.
the only ones who benefits from low bar are 6'8 lanky faggots and powerlifters.
fighters, field athletes, bodybuilders and anyone who trains for general health shouldnt be doing them.
an high bar atg squat is far superior for basically any pourpose
>>
>>35386310
low bar is inferior for averall development. you dont use more muscle mass, the kinetic chain used is exactly the same, dont come up with the shit that it uses more the hamstings because you have a pull in your routine for that.
it stimulate the exact amount of muscle mass for a greater range of motion, high bar also allows you to use a myotatic relfex and many, many other benefits.
the only thing low bar does is cheating on range of motion and tighten you up.
>>
I love front bar. My core and quads feel more worked. Not to mention upper back. Front bar form takes more mobility and is harder to master.
>>
>>35389965
Wew lad that was some convincing bullshit.

2/10 I replied
>>
>>35390117
tell me why someone who is not a powerlifter whould squat low bar.
i cant think of any pros low bar may have, only cons.
>>
>>35390151
>>35389965
low bar really isn't that big of a deal. the whole "highbar vs lowbar" thing is pretty much a wash m8.

highbar can work your quads a little bit more I think, but its not substantial enough to matter for most people.

depending on the person, lowbar might be easier (or vice versa)

basically, there's nothing wrong with lowbar.
>>
>>35390151
The difference is a few inches of bar placement. Some people can more comfortably hit depth low-bar, some people get their hips beat up low-bar, some people hurt their knees squatting high-bar, some people get buttwink high-bar. Mixed bag, not a ton of difference in terms of performance.
>>
>>35390257
i know that as long as you do your back squats it doesnt really matter, but low bar is more technical and feels really awkward for most people.
desu i also feel like it's more prone to injury because you cant drop it behind in case you snap something, feel like fainting or something like that.
>>
>>35389965
0/10
>>
>>35390302
good points. I agree lowbar takes more time to learn and feels akward at first

I agree with injury, but for a different reason.

Lowbar can be soooo fucking hard on your shoulders and elbows if you don't keep up on the mobility. it took me a long time to get into a rythm with it that wasn't painful.
>>
>>35386836
Going full atg is limited by proportions as much as flexibility in a lot of people.
>>
>>35390370
pretty much everyone can go atg if they work on mobility, nobody has a shins/femurs ratio so fucked that they cant go atg.
>>35390369
>I agree with injury, but for a different reason.
what reason? genuinely curious
>>
>>35390302
You can drop lowbar easily.

>>35390281
>>35390257
>>35390257
>>35390151
>>35389965
They're literally just squats man. Nobody cares about squats anymore, everybody and their grandmother has a 6pl8 squat nowadays, the one true lift has been forgotten and the crown has been taken by 2 rivals.

Kiril sarychec and Sporo press.
Long ago powerlifters understand the importantancof of the bench press, good coaches would build strong proportionate lifters with mighty benches and big squats. All was well, even average curl bros could appreciate the power of the bench press and even though they'd plateau around 2-3plates for the rest of their life's, that was still respectable for a gym peasant.

Then came the Internet, and in came the infamous internet program era, where unknowing little jimmy would first stumble across these 5x5 programs with squats as a primary focus.
Jimmy was a good boy and always did as he was told, he ran the program for a year and discovered one thing; no matter how much he tried he couldn't increase his bench press, he had plateud before he even reached 1pl8 on the bar, while his squat was strong and had already surpassed his deadlift by far. Little jimmy was saddened by his bench press and assumed he just wasn't a genetically good lifter for bench, so he focused extra hard on sweats because that's what he was good at. He would compete in many competitions across the globe, winning ALL TIME IPF gold medals for his squat, but whenever it came to bench he would always scrape the bottom of the barrel...

Poor little Jimmy is you, and everyone who was unfortunate enough to seek the Internet for programming.

The bench press is a delicate and beautiful lift that requires specialised attention and care, unfortunately we live in an era of T-Rex lifters that forgot about the ways of our great strong ancestors.

Squats are for women, bench is for men.
>>
>>35390425
I mentioned it right after, the wear and tear on shoulders and elbows lol

>>35390445
except I still bench 4 plates :D

but for real, the deadlift is the manliest lift.

desu
b
h
>>
>>35390477
>but for real, the deadlift is the manliest lift.
cue jon pall clip
>>
>>35390445
yeah whatever, every girl at the gym mire my ass and compliment me, not a single one talk to the faggot who benches 7xweek and won nationals.
>>
>>35390511
T-Rex lifter detected
How does it feel to be a woman? Women have big asses and small upperbodies.
>>
>>35390477
You weigh 4pl8 mate. Your bench is incrediblely weak.

4pl8 isn't even an impressive weight. I'd say OVER 200kg is where is starts to become impressive, near 300kg is where I'd say you're a drugaroo
>>
>>35390548
>norse
>weighing 4pl8
nah
>>
>>35390567
He lacks the willpower to get up there
>>
>>35390548
>you weight 4pl8

no m8. i'm 125ish (depending on time of year). 4 plate is 180.

>over 200 kg
over 200 kg is worlds teir 105 / 120 / 120+ bench weight.

Or you're on drugs. But i do agree that 4 plate benches are relatively common, at least in merica.

I'm just saying my bench isn't that bad :: ^ )
>>
>>35390587
I'd say your bench is so average it is bad.
But that's because you don't train bench as your primary lift, which is fair enough if you're a total or wilks fag, but if you just accept that squats are for women and drop them entirely you can
work in extra room for bench press focus.
There's a reason there's bench and deadlift only meets...
You also bench 180kg for like a single last time I saw. That's pathetic.
>>
>>35390614
>so average its bad

thats not how that works.

>don't train your bench as your primary lift
Only just started really. If i didn't fuck up my fatigue - recovery then I'll put up maybe 187.5 at peaking.

>bench and deadlift only meets
yeah, for complete fucking pussies lel

>180 for a single, thats pathetic
no. it really isn't. and you won't get a rise out of me you 130kg benching crotch jockey : ^ )
>>
>>35390533
i have a pretty big upper body too, my bench is shit because i dont do it as main pressing movement
>>
>>35390548
>OVER 200kg
>natty

Have fun obtaining your eminently reasonable goals.
>>
>>35390667
Aaron even I know that's a troll
>>
>>35390614
>>35390548
>>35390445
shit bait, still replied. 2/10
>>
>>35390667
That's entirely how it works, you don't decide these things. This is the way of life.

>Only just started really. If i didn't fuck up my fatigue - recovery then I'll put up maybe 187.5 at peaking.
ah yeah me too bro, I did that 1RM calculator on bodybuilding.com and if I had a goods night rest and car bed up before hand I should definitely be able to hit 250kg on the bench for reps bro, I've only bench 60kg for 5 before but I'm sure on a good day I could hit 250kg bro, take my word for it.

187.5kg isn't even impressive.

There's just some random dude at my gym who isn't even fat that benches 180kg for 5, he doesn't even compete, he just lifts. This is some shit tier gym in the middle of nowhere.

>yeah, for complete fucking pussies lel
Nah, it's a competition for real men, not pyjama men with quads bigger than their core.

>no. it really isn't. and you won't get a rise out of me you 130kg benching crotch jockey : ^ )
It really is, you can bench that in 2-3 years if you make bench a primary focus. Hell, you wouldn't even need to weigh 3pl8 like you.

You on the other hand have been training how long again? ;^))))
>>
>>35390747
How dyel are you?

>>35390729
How stupid are you?

>>35390749
How tall are you?
>>
>>35386263
you're an idiot boardie. Low bar is just an excuse to lift more weight. It's essentially a deadlift. If you can proper form high-bar squats for reps at a good weight, you're a better athlete. If you can low bar squat just to parallel, congrats, you're a powerlifter and not an athlete.
>>
>>35390775
Pretty dyel t.b.h.
>>
>>35387336
you have a weak core. Your back should be more upright and the weight will stay on your shoulders
>>
>>35386298
lol those baby calfs. Must be trolling.
>>
>>35390786
That's right man, but you can bench 200kg one day, don't under shoot your goals.

Reach them or kill yourself, it's the only way.
>>
>>35390775
pretty stupid, i dont know why i just dont stick to owg and plg.
>>
>>35390775
Pretty tall t.b.h

>>35390776
N-no

Please refrain from calling me boardie unless you're being endearing. Otherwise you're abusing the nickname.
>>
>>35390822
Shut the fuck up boardie boo boo
>>
>>35386430
holy shit dude he is a just a random guy on the internet calm the fuck down
>>
>>35385944
I was watching this video and found the solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzVCqLyGVd0

Skip to 3:25
>>
>>35390815
Couple things for you here, baby girl
>I don't give a fuck about what I look like. Calves don't contribute to my total
>17"+ calves aren't particularly small
>>
>>35390776
>a powerlifter
>not an athlete
I disagree with the tripfag too, but you're an idiot.
>>
>>35390976
a dropout sport, but still a sport.
>>
>>35390425
I'm pretty flexible, I can overhead squat 70kg and do klokov presses from a deep squat with 40 but I still can't sit on my heels with a bar on my back
>>
ITT: a bunch of people that know fuck all.

low bar is gay, just like powerlifting. the ole "if you get 3 whites in a PL comp youre doing it wrong " attitude fucking sucks

fs as adapted from weightlifting is a position based exercise, mimicking the clean receive position requiring stability, balance, and tension in the diaphragm and upper back. chest up, knees forward, hips in between the ankles, elbows high. they require more front rack, wrist, and shoulder mobility to do them properly with a full grip.

bs are more a general strength/reserve tank exercise, focusing on power output from the legs with a neutral, upright back. heavy bs are what allows you to stand up cleans and recover jerks that feel super heavy - an overload adaptation that helps you compensate in other lifts. if you have to lean over to utilize more lower back and hip to huck the weight up rearwards then unfolding yourself, you're doing it wrong.

source: 185kg FS / 220kg BS / 119 snatch / 147 CJ @ 83kg bw
>>
>>35391180
>the lifts that benefit my sport are good and natural and others are obviously foolish egolifting that accomplish nothing
>t. /owg/ shitposter
>>
i do front squats after my back squats.
>>
>>35390117
Shut up and post cock faggit
>>
>>35391786
Fine anon only this once though
>>
>>35391786

This is gross but man must it be satisfying to take a dump using something like this. Just doing it in the early autumn morning, dew on grass but still quite warm, nice breeze. Damn.
>>
>>35391233

tbqh familia, i dont post in owg, theres only like 2 people in there that actually know what theyre talking about....aaaaand theyre trip fags.

>others are obviously foolish egolifting that accomplish nothing

do you even read breh? never said the lifts that benefit just my sport are good & everything else is shit - youre missing the point here. tried to shed some light on OPs question on ranking the types of squat. There is no good better best, was merely trying to show the different n historical uses of such positions n progressions.

if i hit a nerve about pl and low bar then top kek, bc lowbar squatting/squat morning heavy weights to questionable depth in order to make 2/3 whites is fucking stupid. way too many people use that shit as a crutch to half ass their way to bigger #s instead of doing the exercise correctly and actually getting stronger.
>>
>>35392254
>way too many people use that shit as a crutch to half ass their way to bigger #s instead of doing the exercise correctly and actually getting stronger.
I know, foolish weightlifters try to press out their jerks and oscillate the bar. They should train more instead of cheating and not getting all whites.
>>
>>35392254
>squatting big #'s
>getting stronger
pick two buddy
>>
>>35385889
Front squats hit the quads and core alot more.
They're a great exercise.
>>
>>35386267
>highbar works anterior
>>
>>35389122
>In a nutshell what I'm saying is that press uses more muscle mass than bench
but it doesn't, why are trips so stupid
>>
>>35393094
*tips legion*
You're wrong and dumb for disagreeing with me
>>
>>35392462

u wot m8? im not sure you understand what you're on about - bar oscillation helps you make jerks.

>>35392491

> high bar squatting 150kg high bar ass to grass, full ROM
>wides stance low bar squatting 200kg 5" deep, partial ROM

what do you think makes you stronger, im curious?
>>
>>35393324
I think they both make you stronger provided your definition of 5" ROM is still below parallel.
>>
>>35393324
>>u wot m8? im not sure you understand what you're on about - bar oscillation helps you make jerks.
INCORRECT MOVEMENTS FOR THE JERK
"Any deliberate oscillation of the barbell to gain advantage. The athlete and
the barbell have to become motionless before starting the jerk."

From the IWF rulebook
>>
>>35393352

this has been covered ad naseum.

load and ROM go together in hypertrophy and developing strength.

if your body doesnt allow you to hit certain positions, half assing heavy loads thru shit movement patterns nets you nothing. heavy partials serve a purpose as assistance work given the lifter navigate a full rom.

http://www.personaltraineroxford.com/blog/full-range-of-motion-vs-partial-range-of-motion-which-is-better-when-it-comes-to-muscle-size-and-str/

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/does-range-of-motion-matter-when-building-strength

http://suppversity.blogspot.de/2013/05/you-want-maximal-performance-size-gains.html
>>
>>35393368
the least enforced rule in weightlifting brotha...

watch liao hui/tian tao and lu micro bounce the bar before the jerk. watch ilya ilyn rush the jerk so the bar doesnt stop moving when he dips. watch aramnau do the same thing...the judges just want to see a pause between clean and jerk...irrelevant really

ironic that you call that out as "cheating" a jerk because EVERY lifter in the world will make the bar oscillate for the jerk when they dip and drive to send it over head...its physics m8

not sure what point you're trying to make
>>
>>35393493

Its basically the same thing as cutting depth and relying on the judges not calling you on it - using what is technically an illegal movement in order to get a bit more weight up.
>>
>>35393493
So it's ok to bend rules and hope to only get away with 2/3 white lights. But only for weightlifters, am I understanding this right?
>>
Though I'm a hungry skelly I like front squats because they feel a lot more natural and they don't hurt my rotator cuff
>>
>>35386841
>I don't know how to squat properly and think that my spine and knees will collapse the moment I squat heavy weight because I'm a retarded faggot.
Ftfy
>>
>>35386957
Most people can absolutely achieve maximum depth squats. It's literally just about building up mobility through stretching, you pathetic excuse making faggot.
Stay weak.
>>
>>35393433
This is interesting, but both powerlifters and weightlifters go full ROM, it's only that the leverages change the ROM for different structures. These studies compared the same movement, but with one group doing only half of the ROM possible. It's not really comparable.

>>35393626
Do you also do 5' deficit deadlifts and shoulder grip width cambered bar bench presses? Not to say that going full ATG is bad, but you really shouldn't ego-lift in the bench and deadlift.
>>
>>35385920
this
>>
This niggers form is obscene.
>>
File: squat rack is now mine.jpg (65 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
squat rack is now mine.jpg
65 KB, 640x640
>>35386191
I tried doing low bar yesterday and I felt like it wouldn't stay on my back so I went back to high bar. Any recommendations on how to do low bar? Are you essentially just hold the bar with only your hands?
>>
>>35385977
Yeah, if you don't have wrist wraps. Did 295 for 6 today and my wrap came off halfway through, didn't feel too good.
Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.