[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this an example of "functional strength"? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: bodybuilder vs arm wrestler.webm (2 MB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
bodybuilder vs arm wrestler.webm
2 MB, 720x540
Is this an example of "functional strength"?

What is functional strength to you?
>>
Depends on the context. Lifting weights gets me pretty good at lifting weights.
>>
>>35383277
There's that.

It's worth doing everything.

Lift, and some bodyweight, most notably pull-ups and dips.
>>
>>35383263
This is not "functional strength", the arm wrestler won because he trains only few, very specific, muscles which are used when arm wrestling (subscapularis, latisimus dorsi, teres major and pectoralis major, along with forearm flexorsand and bicep brachii.), the body builder trains his whole body equally
>>
>>35383340
He trains a few very specific muscles for the function of armwrestling. How is that not the definition of functional strength.
>>
>>35383263
"functional strength" is the thing that people with no actual strength still have...
>>
>>35383355
"Functional training is a classification of exercise which involves training the body for the activities performed in daily life."

I guess, that would apply if you dedicate your life to arm wrestling like the dude in the gif, but to anyone else it's not functional strength
>>
>>35383263
Move fast, move long, change direction, press, pull, squat, carry, climb, dig, etc.
And for my line of work I require it all. If one works a nonphysical job, it would be most functional for them to bodybuild, and look good in the first world for respect and girls.
>>
>>35383666
>If one works a nonphysical job, it would be most functional for them to bodybuild, and look good in the first world for respect and girls.
Guys, Satan has a pretty good point here.
>>
carrying pigs home
>>
I suppose you could call it extremely specialized functional strength.

What lift could you do that would improve arm wrestling?
>>
>>35383263
Thats what roids vs. natty combat looks like
>>
>>35383263
Functional strength is going to the gym and lifting some heavy ass weight
>>
>>35383774

How far did he carry it? I've carried two dead pigs just like that for about 200 yards and its not that hard.
>>
no, that's situational strength.

functional strength is strength used to perform activities vital to human survival. we haven't changed biologically, so lifting a log, pushing against a rock, pulling down tree branches, swinging sticks at berry pickers, sprinting after rabbits, carrying heavy loads etc are functional movements and it so happens that one of the best, if not the best way of acquiring this strength is via heavy compound lifts.
>>
>>35383789
One arm chin ups, dumbell rows, the pulldown (with a chin up grip) you do on a cable machine.

There is a gif of an arm wrestling champion doing some workouts
>>
>>35384254
I think those ones are alive.

Carrying an alive pig is really really hard. Those bitches struggle hard.
>>
>>35383355
This is functional strength with a very narrow application. So narrow that it would be misleading to just refer to it simply as "functional strength".
>>
>>35383263

lol the smug look on the arm wrestler's face.
>>
>>35384289
why would anyone carry an alive pig

why not kill it
>>
>>35384297
live pigs dont rot
>>
File: ehh.png (79 KB, 379x366) Image search: [Google]
ehh.png
79 KB, 379x366
>>35383263

bangin ur mum
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.