[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i into calves?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: 9uMNVwP.jpg (123 KB, 660x990) Image search: [Google]
9uMNVwP.jpg
123 KB, 660x990
how do i into calves?
>>
>>35380712
Weighted calf raises
Also, always do your cardio at an incline
>>
>>35380712
literally by training them.

make sure you are doing your calf raises on as tall an object as you can manage, for a full ROM.

make sure you keep your spine straight and knees locked (i.e. don't cheat the weight up there using momentum from your legs and back).

if you are still having trouble feeling it in your calves, try playing around with supination/pronation of the foot.

outside of that, bodyweight single-leg calf raises are a good follow-up to weighted calf raises.

i also like to do calf-based plyometric work after i train calves
>>
>>35380712
Calves are 75% genetics, you got em or you don't
>>
>>35380797
also, seated calf raises target the soleus.

standing calf raises are primarily the gastrocnemius, which is also primarily fast-twitch fibers, so try and keep your standing calf raises relatively explosive.
your seated calf raises can be done slowly..
>>
>>35380807
>no i don't train calves, why would I? it's genetic
you are literally like those people who don't train forearm and then claim it is all genetics.

no muscle is immune to hypertrophy.
you just have to train smarter
>>
>>35380712
Skipping and sprinting
Pistol squats and lunges and other unilateral knee bend shit
Calf raises both standing and seated

Cycle through these three things and your calves will eventually convert to Sikhism. Gaining mass in general also helps so lift and eat.
>>
>>35380712
Jump rope as a warm up
>>
>>35380809
Bingo

Standing Calf (or straight legged calf, I do mine on a leg press, less awkward) 5x5 OR 3-4x6-8, 3 to 5 minute rest between sets, do them paused at the bottom. 2 second pause at the bottom, do an explosive concentric, a 1 second squeeze at the top and a 2-3 second concentric. GO HEAVY and focus on pushing more weights.

Then follow it up with...:

Seated Calf 2-3x10-12, Do 2 minutes of rest between sets, do a 1 second pause at the bottom, 2 seconds up, 1 second squeeze at the top, 2 seconds down, repeat. If you have to, drop the weight with each set to maintain volume. If you do these right you should be begging the Lord for mercy and probably won't be able to walk right.

If you start heavy you will get crazy DOMS.

Do it twice a week.

Also, start off with a deload/runup from 80% of your max (your max for THAT specific rep range, not 1RM..), then the next week do 90%, then 3rd week 100%, then either at the 6th, 7th or 8th week, repeat with your new maxes.
>>
File: ponderer[1].jpg (18 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
ponderer[1].jpg
18 KB, 320x240
>>35380712
Can calves be TOO big?

That guy has fuck-massive calves they still don't look stupid or anything. Interesting.
>>
>>35381312
They do look stupid imo. Anyone IRL would look twice and be like wut

They're overdeveloped
>>
Grab some dumbbells and walk back and forth on your tip toes as high as you can till they start to burn and hurt
>>
>>35381312
they look pretty stupid desu
>>
>>35380817
Nah, if that was true we would all be huge. Genes matter, no way around it.
>>
>>35381331
are you kidding me?? those calves make him look extremely proportioned dumbass
>>
File: bc1161[1].jpg (58 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
bc1161[1].jpg
58 KB, 600x900
>>35381331
>>35381340
This is what looks stupid imo
>>
Playing any sport that involves running and jumping will give you nice calves and legs overall. Also incline walking and running as well as climbing stairs.
In the gym just calf raises as everyone says.
>>
>>35380807
You don't run do you faggot....

"My calves and forearms don't grow after doing halfassed 3x10 calf raises and wrist curls once a week so it's genetics."

You're no better than the fatties
>>
try the 100 bodyweight calf raises a day thing

works for some people, google it
>>
>>35381255

what is a concentric?
>>
>>35381312
He would look better if his other lower leg muscles were proportional imo.
>>
>>35380807
>>35380817
>>35381561

There’s overwhelming evidence suggesting that calfgrowthis at least 90% genetic and long tendons tend to kill all hypertrophy plans.
>>
>>35383267
lmao at this entire post

citation needed

badly needed bro
>>
File: calves.jpg (29 KB, 280x258) Image search: [Google]
calves.jpg
29 KB, 280x258
Muscle-to-Tendon Ratio:The potential for a muscle to increase in size is related to the length of its belly and tendon. Everything else being equal, those who have long bellies and short tendons have a greater potential for achieving muscular size than those who have short bellies and long tendons.

The dramatic impact of muscle-to-tendon ratios can be seen in the photograph of two individuals who are contracting their calves. Note that the lengths of their lower legs are roughly the same, but the lengths of their muscle bellies and tendons are very different. The individual on the right has a much longer muscle belly and shorter tendon than the individual on the left.

At the time of the photograph, both individuals - female collegiate gymnasts in their freshman year - were training partners who'd been doing the same strength program for nearly eight months, performing the same exercises and set/rep scheme.
>>
i think hiking is pretty good. always burns when i do it. sadly i only hike once or twice a year.
>>
>>35381144
yeah great idea! cos I don't need knee's and ankles at all!!
>>
>>35383309
not him but most people with good calves were already blessd with big legs from the getgo. u cant increase the mass through training in ur calves u dipshit. u can only make them look better by getting rid of the fat around them.

post ur calves (not flexing_
>>
>>35380712
I only ever saw calf gains once I started doing calf raises in the smith machine. literally just load up 4 plates x failure, and keep dropping weight x failure down to 1 pl8. fucking gnarly, but it works.
>>
>>35384251
>>35381255
oh and this. once i get down to about 50% max I switch to bent-knee raises, which are brutal and I guess hit the other part of the calves.
pretty brutal m80
>>
>>35383381
same weight? what about diet?
>>
My (non competitive) long distance runner friends have proportionally big calves. I've even got big (ish) calves considering I haven't trained them other than running in the last almost year.

I hold that running, especially street/trail running, is the best calf exercise for mass. If you're interested in more, read up on Lyle McDonald's calf program, seems like some good shit.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.