[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is SS a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: 1442772224846.jpg (38 KB, 362x346) Image search: [Google]
1442772224846.jpg
38 KB, 362x346
Is SS a meme?
>>
it's a troll routine
>>
Are you lifting because you want to eventually lift higher weights (i.e. you have autism)? Then do SS.

Are you lifting because you want to look good? Don't do SS.
>>
Yes and no.
No and yes.

It depends on your goals.

If you're a beginner and want to get good at the powerlifts and generally get strong, it's a good option (barring any of Rippetoe's diet advice, just eat reasonably...)

If you only care about general strength, it's not the only option but it's not a bad one either. If you care about strength + aesthetics, with some accesories it's not a bad choice either really. If you just care about aesthetics and don't want to lift heavy shit, I'd go with a beginner program based around higher reps.

And regardless of anything, I would include accesories to SS. There's no good reason to not to do accesories on SS too, rows, chinups/pulldowns, arm work (curls/tricep extensions), ab work, calf work. No reason not to if you care (and doing overhead and horizontal pulls are a really good idea for general muscular balance too).

Whatever...
>>
>>35377886
This is the correct answer
>>
>>35377861
What routine do we do for looking good?
>>
>>35377886
I just asked other guy, but what are some good beginner routines based around higher reps? Not op, but want to get in better shape.
>>
>>35377886

yeah SS seems outdated as fuck without accessories

ICF 5x5 or so seems way better

or SL 5x5 + accessories
>>
>>35377980
It doesn't matter what routine you do. The only thing that matters is that you simulate every muscle group evenly, which some people can't do through low volume strength routines.
If rows or power cleans don't make your biceps grow, do some bicep isolation to make your arms work harder and grow
>>
>>35377980
>>35377994
I'm not really familiar with a lot of beginner routines.

Lyle McDonald has a basic barbell beginner routine that uses sets of 8-10 or some shit.

It's like:
Squat 3x8-10
Deadlift/Shrug (Alternating) 3x8-10
Overhead Press 3x8-10
Pulldown/Chin
Bench press/dips 2 sets
Rows 2 sets
Calves
abs
arms

or something.. Why don't I actually Just fucking look it up??? I don't know.

Lyle McDonald has an article series that's like 5 parts on beginner programs and the pros and cons of different rep ranges (and why it really doesn't matter for a beginner...). He presents 3 routines, starting strength, the routine I puked out above and then a routine like that that's all machines for even higher reps that he just uses with old people.

Casey Butt has a good beginners routine that's 100% bodybuilding focused. It starts with ramped sets of 10 I believe, and after some weeks the upper body lifts get dropped down to sets of 8. It's a solid routine that's very well outlined. I don't know it in depth and never did it tho. Look it up.

I'll look some shit up too. I have nothing better to do. Well I do, but I'm just not gonna do it.
>>
>>35377837

How many threads do we need on this subject? Ugh.
>>
>>35378048
Thanks man, will look into the routine a bit.
>>
>>35378048
>I have nothing better to do. Well I do, but I'm just not gonna do it.

anon nooooo
>>
>>35377999
I'll mention IMO ICF 5x5 and SL 5x5 sucks.

My main caveat is the 5x5 sets across for a beginner. Doing 5 sets of 5 all at the same weight is pretty intense and is better suited for intermediate/advanced lifters IMO. I do prefer the ramped sets 5x5 (bill starr, where each set you add weight and you 5th set is the heaviest for 5 reps, the first set is so light it's trivial weight, and IMO thus is better for learning form the than 5x5 sets across also.) Or the SS-ish style 5x5 (or reg park 5x5) which is 2 Warmup sets + 3 working sets at the same weight. If you want to accumulate volume, especially as a beginner, do some higher rep sets. It's like doing 7 sets of 3 for volume. It's just fucking ridiculous. Do 3x3 and some high rep sets or something. I'm getting ahead of myself though.

Here: Lyle McDonald's babby barbel routine (it's actually not his, and it's a bit imbalanced, but it's better than SS...)

Squat 3x10-12
Overhead Press 3x8-10
Deadlift/Shrugs (Alternating) 3x8-10
Chin-ups, Pulldowns or Rows 3x8-10
Dips or Bench Press 2x8-10
Crunches 2x8-10

2-3 times a week non consecutive days.

Look up Casey Butt's routine, it's too complex to write out here. It just has semi-planned progression and periodization.

But I think that routine is solid for a beginner. Feel free to add in curlz or calf raises if you want at the end, I'd also personally do rows after dips/bench (and choose pulldowns/chins) after overhead press because I'm obsessive about balancing pushes/pulls.

Another good idea too is to alternate between overhead pressing/pulldowns and bench/rows

so first workout is:
OHP 3x8-10
Pulldown 3x8-10
Bench 2x8-10
Row 2x8-10

next workout you do

Bench 3x8-10
Row 3x8-10
OHP 2x8-10
Pulldown 2x8-10

Just for some more balance/variety. whatever. You can also replace deadlifts/Shrugs with Romanian Deadlifts or Leg curls (which IMO may be wise, many object to high rep conventional deadlifts saying they're dangerous, I don't fully agree, but deadlifts
>>
>>35378167
hit character limit

Deadlifts aren't essential for bodybuilding, maybe even detrimental as they can exhaust your low back and limit performance on other excercises. Squatting isn't either. You can become a big guy doing nothing but machines. leg press, leg curl, chest press, row machine, overhead press machine, pulldown machine. BAM... You've hit almost every muscle in the body that matters.. So feel free to sub in leg press for squats if you really don't give a fuck about being strong at squats and etc.

Ignore the no machine dogma here, some machines suck, yes.. a lot suck, really. Many don't suck though too. You just need to find ones that feel natural and can be adjusted to feel natural and work right. I don't do machine much, but I'm not objected to them because muh free weights macho bro.
>>
>>35378048
>3*8-10 deadlift

I want to die just reading this
>>
>>35378218
Yeah, sets of 10 on squats are bad enough desu

IME my form is better doing higher reps though, so I think it's generally wiser for a beginner. I think programs like SS *can* (not saying they do if you do things right) lead to shit form. Form usually goes to shit under heavier weights. The thing is, form goes to shit as you get exhausted (e.g. as you do more reps in high reps). But you shouldn't really be doing truely maximal sets anyway as a beginner. The sets of 10, you shouldn't be grinding out the last rep or two.
>>
>>35378244
Form can go into shit on a 20 rep range if the weight is too heavy.
The real problem is with beginners progressing too fast just to hit 3 plates; only to realize that by the time they get there they are only squatting halfway down and haven't gained any strength in 2 months.
>>
>>35378273
Yes, I agree.

And Rippetoe only makes this more likely by pounding beginners to add weight to the bar every workout no matter what and eat 5000 calories a day so they can adapt. He encourages being aggressive with adding weight to the bar.
>>
G S L P
S
L
P
With accessories is the best routine parivaar
>>
Even though greskull LP is listed as a novice routine, I think it's really still the best beginner/novice routine out there. Do it with arm accessories
>>
File: 1423711948832.jpg (31 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1423711948832.jpg
31 KB, 480x640
SS is leg day for fat lazy cunts
>>
File: 1450818598726.png (1 MB, 1376x1582) Image search: [Google]
1450818598726.png
1 MB, 1376x1582
>>35377837

Yes, it's a meme and will turn you into a t-rex.

Do a bodybuilding routine like pic related instead.
>>
File: 1448142344324-2-b.png (391 KB, 498x502) Image search: [Google]
1448142344324-2-b.png
391 KB, 498x502
>>35379609
>Crunches to reduce belly fat
>>
>>35379609
I pray for humanity that the person who made this did it as a joke and nobody takes this seriously.
>>
>>35377994
>>
>>35379609
lost it at bicep leg curl
>>
>>35379713

I bet you do SS

get out
>>
>>35379609
>Tone up
>that activity level
>1000 calories below maintenance

This is some high=quality b8 here. I was almost mad.
>>
>>35378244
>The thing is, form goes to shit as you get exhausted
good advice. nobody ever got anywhere by working hard and fatiguing themselves.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.