[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to Power Clean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: Power-Clean-e1368126380917.png (152 KB, 630x263) Image search: [Google]
Power-Clean-e1368126380917.png
152 KB, 630x263
How do you powerclean properly? Some people use their arms to help lift the bar, others say keep arms completely straight and all the powers comes for your knees and hips.
>>
>>35376328
the bar is driven by hip extension, initiated by knee extension. the arms for the most part just guide the already moving bar into place.
>>
The power does come from the legs. You use the arms/lats to keep the bar as close to the body as possible. You don't pull with the arms until extension of the legs is complete. You don't lock the arms out straight either, I see crossfitters doing that shit and it's stupid. You use your legs to scoop the bar straight up, you don't bang it away from you. Then you use the upper body to pull the bar to pull your hips straight down, and whip your elbows through to receive the bar on your shoulders.

It's easy to get into the habit of jumping the feet out wide 'starfish' style, which is bad. The heavier you go, the wider you'll jump your feet out which is retarded, and is the result of you not using enough power and not doing it properly.
>>
With supervision from my powerlifting coach instead of asking neckbeards on a Cantonese singing forum.
>>
>>35376376
Odd, Rippletits says to lock arms completely straight. That never felt quite right to me.
>>
>>35376401

I think you may have misunderstood him.
>>
>>35376415
I wasn't very clear. He means to keep arms completely straight, until you shoot your elbows through to catch the bar on your delts. I was never coached, so I always had the urge to also pull the bar up.
>>
>>35376328
Rippetoe recently did a tutorial on the youtubechannel of the art of manliness
>>
>>35376328
>deadlift till the bar hits mid thigh
>jump and shrug your shoulders at the same time
>pull yourself under the bar into the rack position
>???
>profit
>>
>>35376328

You use your arms to pull yourself below the bar. If you watch oly lifters, they fall faster than 1g.
>>
>>35376912
A clean is not a deadlift, the setup is quite different
>>
>>35377737
Please explain how (Im not that guy, I just do power cleans and I'm aware they're different, I'm just curious how exactly?)

Also, you don't really want to jump. It's more like pushing the bar with your body, making yourself tall explosively if that makes sense. Jumping can make you do some weird donkey kick shit. Maybe not tho, idk m8
>>
>>35377759
The clean typically starts with much lower hips and a more vertical back.
If you try and clean from a deadlift position the distance between your hips and the bar is too great for an effective and explosive hip extension.
Also try not to think of it as a "jump" as such, your feet barely leave the floor if at all.
>>
>>35377846
>Also try not to think of it as a "jump" as such, your feet barely leave the floor if at all.
The start is definitely not a jump, but in the second stage with the shrug up you do do a jumping like motion. Most people focus too much on this tho. I've moved 2pl8 without too much difficulty before when I've been lucky enough to hit perfect form on the first stage, pushing through the heels with straight arms is the bit that generates most of the power.
>>
>>35377759

Usually your back more upright and the weight is more on your quads. The 1st pull position can even feel a bit akward at first. It is not the optimal position for maximum pulling power, rather just setting up for the 2nd pull. The 2nd pull is kinda like jumping, but you try to guide the force to the bar instead of actually jumping. The key is speed in the 2nd pull so the "jumping" is done in a very short time/distance. One useful excercise is to do pulls focusing on doing the 2nd pull as fast as possible.
>>
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mPsxlNjv7Aw

Just listen to the bearded man
>>
>>35377966
This is much better than the SS technique. You can only get so far with no arm pull.
>>
>>35376328
You don't. It's a meme lift with no utility. It doesn't take the place of squats or deadlifts and 99.99% of people can't do a significant amount of weight without doing permanent damage to their shoulders and elbows.
>>
>>35377846
>>35377911
When I clean it's the other way around. When I DL I get squatting and use a lot of quad (it feels the most natural for me and let's me pull the most), when I do cleans I set up with the bar over the balls of my feet (unlike DL which I do it over my midfoot, right up on the shins), in the clean I pull my shoulder blades back hard and have my shoulders I think in front of the bar. I get more horizontal in a clean 1st pull (like maybe 35 degrees) and in a conventional deadlift I'm like 45 degree back angle. I do have short femurs.
>>
just don't
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.