[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any vegan brahs here? 18, 172cm, 77kg, 16% bf. I've been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: diet.jpg (283 KB, 1600x949) Image search: [Google]
diet.jpg
283 KB, 1600x949
Any vegan brahs here? 18, 172cm, 77kg, 16% bf. I've been seriously considering becoming vegan but I'm worried I'll lose my gains. How do you go about things?
>>
>>35375580
Also how does it affect strength. My stats are currently:

Bench 100kg x 3

Squat 140kg x 1

Deadlift 140kg x 1
>>
>>35375580
For the supposed "health" benefits you get, have fun trying to substitute all your regular foods. Gonna eat tofu and pea powder for your protein?

If it isn't a problem and you got the time and money to waste on it, by all means go ahead - it won't impact your gains, but it's going to be a shit to try to keep. I've (reluctantly) tried myself.
>>
>>35375628
would you be able to elaborate on that?
>>
File: 1450960035734.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1450960035734.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>35375628

>it won't impact your gains
>>
>>35375580
>I'm worried I'll lose my gains
You will. Don't do it.

Also: 'vegan' is a lifestyle not a diet, you mean 'vegetarian'.
>>
>>35375606
that is a shite squat compared to your bench dude wtf
>>
File: GHAN6851.jpg (747 KB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
GHAN6851.jpg
747 KB, 2048x2048
>>35375956
I've been lifting for 2 years. I shifted my focus away from powerlifting to hypertrophy 8 months ago. I would switch back to powerlifting to increase my strength but I'm just not happy with my physique atm. I feel like my traps and delts aren't developed enough along with my upper chest.
>>
>>35376007
I'm thinking maybe hypertrophy for another year and switch back to powerlifting after that.

>>35375922
Thanks for the input
>>
File: dyingforsinswasamistake.png (166 KB, 500x583) Image search: [Google]
dyingforsinswasamistake.png
166 KB, 500x583
This is who you are, OP.

You're not following a trend, are you?

You are a rational human bean who thinks for himself, right?

You haven't been brainwashed by vegan documentaries or anything, no?

No... YOU JUST FEEL TOO MUCH! YOU'RE TOO GOOD A HUMAN BEING!
>>
>>35376037
Less of a trend and more health reasons. I'm not jumping on some bandwagon "omg so conscious of the planet I'm better than you look at me." I was just genuinely interested and experiencing a vegan lifestyle. I had been shown research about the effects of veganism on health and I honestly wanted to experience it first hand. But I'm not easily swayed, hence why I've spent a month thinking about this yet still haven't become one.
>>
File: 1448593320555.jpg (791 KB, 852x1136) Image search: [Google]
1448593320555.jpg
791 KB, 852x1136
>>35375922

>'vegan' is a lifestyle not a diet, you mean 'vegetarian'.

Actually that's wrong. Vegan lifestyle is as much as a lifestyle as vegetarianism, except the former is more hardcore in its moral absolutes.

Vegan = No animal meat, no animal products like leather and wool, no shampoos and medicine that have been tested on animals, no honey, no eggs, no dairy, nothing. Some of them even get triggered when you refer to your dog as "my dog".

Vegetarian = No dead animal meat but can still eat stuff produced by animals like honey, milk, eggs, etc.

Vegetarians tend to do it for "health reasons" mostly. Some just eggs but don't eat dairy. Others eat dairy but don't eat eggs.

NOW...... Some pieces of shit will call themselves vegetarian but still eat chicken or shrimp or fish or jello once in a while. These people deserve death. They're worse than actual vegans because vegans at least are not hypocrites when it comes to food.
>>
>>35375896
On what exactly?
>>
>>35376095
OP here. Is this the giant buddha in Nanshan, Shandong, China? Is this a photo you took yourself? I've never met another person who has been here.
>>
Illya Illyin is vegetarian and he holds world record in -105kg and is arguably one of the best weightlifters in history.

Plant-based protein is possible. Buckwheat has massive amounts of carbs and protein. If you aren't against it, eggs are also great.
>>
>>35376110
When you tried your vegan diet.

>>35376117
nvm its not
>>
I'm vegan for a year now and quite happy with it. You don't really need to worry about your gains, its more about how much you eat of the right things than whether you eat animal products or not. And of course you will already eat much more (in volume) as a vegan than someone else, even if not lifting. Stick to grains, legumes, potatoes, etc. Keto might be hard on these things but you don't want to do keto, right? I'm at 150kg squat, 120kg bench, 170kg deadlift (5xmax) and did not experience any drawbacks, so if the other guys are right maybe if you get closer to 200kg squat or so? Still don't think so.
>>
>>35376095
>>'vegan' is a lifestyle not a diet, you mean 'vegetarian'.
>>35376095
>Actually that's wrong. Vegan lifestyle is
>>35376095
>>'vegan' is a lifestyle not a diet
>>35376095
>Actually that's wrong
>>35376095
>Vegan lifestyle
>>35376095
>>'vegan' is a lifestyle not a diet
>>35376095
>Actually that's wrong
>>35376095
>Vegan lifestyle is
>>35376095
>Vegan lifestyle is
>>
>>35376150
Holy fuck that was the weirdest fucking webm I've ever seen.

>>35376149
I'm worried about carbs as a vegan. Like, to get adequate protein out of all of these grains, you've got to eat a shit ton which means a shit ton of carbs
>>
>>35376150
Are you Chinese by any chance?
>>
>>35376125
Beginning of my lifting. I found an article that told me all the benefits, so I was like "that's interesting. Why not?"

Eating salad and none of my usual foods got the best of me though. Figures clean bulk was just as healthy and easier to maintain than eating no meat
>>
>>35376164
I don't quite get why you are afraid of carbs. Yes, I eat a lot of carbs, easily 1kg of potatoes for dinner or 350g of rice (dry weight). Why would you think it's bad? You don't get fat from it if that is what you worry about.
>>
>>35376157

>being this retarded

Vegan can be a lifestyle or not. You can follow a vegan diet and still be a bullfighter who produces honey and wears leather.

Just like vegetarianism can be a lifestyle and a diet.
>>
>>35376184
I guess because I've had the "low carb" mentality ingrained into me. I was my leanest when I lowered my carbs as much as possible. Did you shift into a vegan diet in stages or just go HAM from day one?
>>
>>35376198
I went vegan when I moved out from my parent's house. I ate a lot of meat/eggs/dairy there, eg. 500g quark every day. I had already come in touch with vegan dishes before that because my girlfriend was already vegan and I kept on eating non-vegan when eating out for about 2 months.

This low-carb idea is very much promoted these days but I don't think that makes it better than high-carb. You could have a look at "The Starch Solution" by McDougall (however, its promoting veganism at the same time so its not really neutral). There are some high-carb vegans on Youtube I think (apart from banana freelee).
>>
>>35376248
How does your body not turn that excess amount into fat?

PS Sorry for asking so many questions I'm just trying to find answers
>>
>>35376252
I think the theory is that carbs would fill up your glycogen stores and make you more active, burning excess energy through muscle movement and heat production and of course if you are lifting you will burn these stores faster (and because your stores are larger feel fitter/stronger). Fat on the other hand would rather slow you down. For many people (maybe not for you), when they say carbs make them fat its probably rather their (fatty) sauce on the pasta than the pasta. You are not really eating few protein on a high carb diet. You can also supplement with vegan protein powder. If you live in Europe you could order some vegan blend from myprotein for example (its not expensive and they often have special offers they send by email).

I'm not perfectly sure on the theory. If you calculate for 1kg potatoes, its just about 800 calories (20g protein). So its not a lot of energy you take up. But some are convinced you could eat refined sugar and not get fat as long as you keep your fat intake low (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5GHBXk2QEM).

You can gladly keep asking questions but I won't be here for the next hour. I would suggest to just give it a try and after a month or two think about if you feel better. Also noone needs to follow any strict diet all the time. It would be an improvement to do it five days a week, right? Just don't listen to these "you are not actually vegan so kill yourself"-guys.
>>
>>35376393
thanks mate, I really appreciate it
>>
>>35376252
Long-term vegan here (vegetarian atm).
I'd recommend not to concern yourself too much with carbs but with calories in calories out. If you're not eating excessively you won't get fat.

I suggest looking into eating mostly complex carbs and protein, i.e. legumes, whole grains (pasta, rice, oats, corn). Especially legumes. Eat variedly to get all essential aminoacids.

You can eat peanuts and nuts/seeds in general to consume proteins without getting too many carbs. But overall it's practically impossible to be a low carb vegan.
>>
>>35376123
Vegetarian is not same as vegan since you can still get your protein from milks and egg.
>>
>>35376150
Well if killing beings is natural to us, then why do we posses 0 instinct to kill, you place a 2 year old baby into a crib, with an apple and a bunny, the child will always eat the apple and play with the bunny.
Our teeth are designed purely for plants, that little tiny canine that everyone says is for eating meat is to bite into harder fruits such as apples, our jaw moves in a grinding motion from side to side, our intestines are 8x the length of our torso, just like bovines, just like gorillas and sheep, real omnivores, lions, hyena, polar bears, theirs is 3x the length of their torso, so that they can push through the cholesterol, saturated fat and other diseases of rotting flesh. But humans, it absorbs the cholesterol, the saturated fat, the things that cause cancer, thats why it is impossible for a genuine carnivore to block their arteries.

That's why we pay somebody else to do it for us.
That's why the industry lies to you, theyre out to make money.
Double bacon cheeseburger! Cheesy potatoes, triple meat feast pizza with cheese crust got to drink your milk to get big strong bones. Got to have your meat! got to have your protein!

Humans can't even absorb the calcium in cows milk, as soon as animal protein is absorbed in the body it turns the body acidic, because animal protein is so uncommon to us, the body panics, it tries to neutrilise this acidity with phosphate, and where do we get this phosphate from? Our bones, they consist of calcium phosphate, so to neutrilise this acidity, we take the calcium from our bones, and pee it out, Which is why there are vitamin stores everywhere, and osteoporosis is so common in meat eating societies. How about heart attacks, atherosclerosis, kidney disease, alzheimers, dementia, its only recently that old age is associated with loss of memory, in the 1800s, it was associated with wisdom. What happened in those 200 years, milk meat cheese and egg, every single day, every meal.
>>
>>35375580
Just eat high carb/high calorie. Protein will essentially be covered.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.