[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the consensus on Mark Rippetoe? What about Starting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: king rip.jpg (92 KB, 600x449) Image search: [Google]
king rip.jpg
92 KB, 600x449
What's the consensus on Mark Rippetoe?
What about Starting Strength?
>>
>>35369567
You should start strength if you are not strong.
>>
Saved my life. Not the fat ass bastard I once was and SS got me past novice lifting. I cringe now at lifters doing warm up weight as a workout.
>>
>>35369567
De best
>>
Anyone got that pic of Ripptoe - or a great lookalike - sucking on a dick?

It was posted here years ago, but I've never seen it again or seen reference to his possible cocksucking.
>>
File: 1431324863962.jpg (79 KB, 600x586) Image search: [Google]
1431324863962.jpg
79 KB, 600x586
It is literally the biggest troll in the fitness-community which started early in 2005 ...
I know it because i pushed it.
>>
>>35369567

1. Mark Ripptoe has never trained anyone of note or anyone to an impressive strength level, which should be a huge red flag.
2. While hugely popular, SS has never been the foundation of anyone who has gone on to have impressive strength.
3. There's not enough volume in the program for decent gains of strength or bodysize.
4. Reg Parks beginner program - which RIpptoe obviously lifted heavily from - is better in every way. It's more rounded and within 4 weeks ups the volume hugely before increasing it further again.
5. The milk shit is a fucking joke that - even though the program states it should only be used by underweight individuals - will lead most to fat gain and softness.
6. Worth noting is my opinion that it's a popular beginners program because the volume is low and it's easy. In short, baby weightlifters like it because it's a pussy program - the equiv. of scratching your ass.
>>
>>35370586
SS is for people with no talent looking for a simple program. It's meant to work for everyone.

Reg Parks is great but progress is way slower.
>>
File: image.jpg (151 KB, 750x1125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151 KB, 750x1125
>>35370586
>There's not enough volume in the program for decent gains of strength or bodysize.
This %100

TRAPPY CHAN ACTUALLY BELIEVES IN THIS LOW VOLUME MEME

TRAPPY CHAN BELIEVES THE HAMSTRING IS A KNEE EXTENSOR

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
>pic related is trappy chan
>>
6'2 lanklet with terrible posture and history of back problems here

I really want to start SS or Stronglifts and stick to a simple routine to add some bulk. But I'm totally paranoid about injury and Rippetoe is just a total dick on the subject

"Accumulating injuries is the price we pay for the thrill of not having sat around on our asses"

I just want to gain some fucking size, man. I've looked like a twig my whole life and I can't take anymore of this shit desu senpai
>>
>>35369567
People are insecure and want to be aesthetic

No one wants to do SS because it targets non-aesthetic bodyparts

Many people on the internet are too insecure to admit that they're insecure, and therefore pretend like they dont lift to improve their appearance and ultimately confidence + social/sexual success

As a result, these push SS on others because it allows them to have a false sense of seniority "pfft, just lifting for size? for arms? for aesthetics? no fucitonal strength? lol fag, pussy" etc.

This is why SS completely dominates every single online fitness forum, and yet no one fucking talks about it in the real world

This is why SS survives
>>
>>35370766
Ur dum
>>
>>35369567
It's too hard a program for novices. Yes, I just described it as hard. I doubt this program has ever actually been done perfectly without a coach.

No one who is considering getting into weightlifting is going to read a 400 page book before they start lifting. So right off no novice is actually "doing the program."

Secondly, for diet being such an important part of the program, his dietary advice his very vague. It can be summed up as "eat as much as you can." This runs counter to all other dietary advice in existence, which says to eat at a bulk of up to a 500 calorie surplus. 95% of people who begin weightlifting want to look good first and foremost. They're not going to follow dietary advice that will obviously get them fat.

It's a program that needs to followed to the T, written for the newest people to weightlifting. These people will not have good sleep schedules, perfect diets, discipline, knowledge of how to use a gym. Yet all of this will be crucial to follow the progress curve Rip expects.

He writes a lot about form as if everyone has a coach. But everyone doesn't. Most people probably don't. The book is not written for people who lift alone. People who lift alone have no idea what their squat looks like.

When to stop the program is extremely vague. He says after you unload twice, but that assumes that a novice is even (what Rip describes as) "doing the program" to begin with. If a novice deloads incorrectly, he will no longer stop doing the program at the right time. He'll do it too long or not long enough, making him either fat or not as strong as he could be.

It's a good strength program, but when people prescribe it, it needs to be dumbed down. It's just too smart for pure novices.
>>
>>35369567
id let him fuck my ass no homo
>>
>>35370847
This guy is on to something.
I guess it's easy to convince yourself Rippetoe is just bullshitting when he claims that people rep 3pl8 squats on his program after 12 weeks from untrained.
SS is just really easy to screw up.
>>
>>35369567
Rippetoe is a misogynist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmEgolXQb-o
>>
Test.
>>
>>35370586
Coming from a guy that has never lifted before.
>>
>>35370936
Get aids, retard.
>>
>>35370889
I moseyed into the program, like I'm sure a lot of people did. No newfriend is going to go 0-60, and doing SS perfect really is 60. Most serious lifters don't put the thought required for SS into their own routines.

Really doing Starting Strength... I just can't see someone new to weightlifting doing it correctly without being coached. They won't have the autism to follow through with it. They'll do the squat wrong and not know it, or not know how to fix it. They'll shy away from the power clean. They'll miss workouts and not know how to get back.
>>
>>35370960
it's true that most people do SS wrong. I've met tons of people "doing SS", but I've yet to meet anyone who actually read the book. this isn't unique to SS, though. beginners just train wrong, period. the thing about rippetoe is that he doesn't give a shit if you do it wrong. he expects people to take responsibility for their own training, seek out information and use common sense. if you do that then rip has proven to be quite generous with his help.
>>
>>35369567
I don't think it should be anyone's intro to weightlifting.

The squat, deadlift, and power clean are three of the hardest exercises to do with correct form. I rarely see the squat or deadlift done correctly even by strong people at my gym. And you're going to tell novices to go learn them alone?

I would start people on simpler exercises while they get their diets together and learn how a gym works. Bench press, overhead press, assisted pullups/dips, hyperextensions, situps, leg press, and lunges. And meanwhile they can be reading the book.
>>
>>35371008
the only way to learn the main compounds is to do them. you don't learn them by doing other exercises.
>>
>>35371036
I don't agree exactly. Doing the squat wrong won't teach you how to squat. Maybe if SS came with a long list of squat troubleshooting for things that go wrong and what you can do to fix them, but it doesn't. You just have to read the chapter again.

IMO filming yourself lifting is the most important thing you can do, but I never see it emphasized.
>>
SS is decent if you don't care about how you look. If you enjoy sex do a PPL
>>
>>35371094
Its literally emphasized in the squat chapter of the book to film yourself and check your form regularly.
>>
Do ICF instead of SS.
>>
>>35370754
for tall people make sure pay attention to your back strength, mainly in the thoracic region. that area receives more strain the taller you are so its important to pay more attention to this area. is it easier to snap a 5 inch stick or a 10 inch stick?
>>
A:
Squat 3x5
OHP 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Pull up 3x5-10

B:
Power Clean 5x3
Bench 3x5
Front Squats 3x5
Pendlay Row 3x5

Are these changes Cardinal sins of lifting or nah?
>>
>>35370586

>1. Mark Ripptoe has never trained anyone of note or anyone to an impressive strength level, which should be a huge red flag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-b7QCvnfVA

2. While hugely popular, SS has never been the foundation of anyone who has gone on to have impressive strength.
SS is based off Bill Starr's novice routine, variations of which are hugely popular throughout the NFL and the wider sporting community.

3. There's not enough volume in the program for decent gains of strength or bodysize.
SS volume increases linearly with time. If you are making gains there is enough volume.

4. Reg Parks beginner program - which RIpptoe obviously lifted heavily from - is better in every way. It's more rounded and within 4 weeks ups the volume hugely before increasing it further again.
Again, SS (and Park's) is based off Starr's novice routine.

5. The milk shit is a fucking joke that - even though the program states it should only be used by underweight individuals - will lead most to fat gain and softness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HV-wvNa2GM

Yes I know it's copypasta.
>>
>>35371288
This is kinda like my routine altho i also do dips
>>
>>35371362
In my past experience with lifting extra triceps work always ended up with me developing elbow pain so I tend to avoid it, if anything I might Sneak in some curls or planks if I'm bored on some days
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.