[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Military PT ideas?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: pt.jpg (89 KB, 900x598) Image search: [Google]
pt.jpg
89 KB, 900x598
So my boss just voluntold me to lead PT for our entire fucking squadron tomorrow morning. I need to have a workout plan made up by tonight and I have no fucking idea what I'm going to have 80 people do.

We don't have access to enough weights for me to make a lifting circuit, everything has to be body weight exercises. We do have access to an indoor track.

Also we only PT for about 45 minutes. Any help /fit/?
>>
10 mile run.
every NCO and officer loves fucking running marathons
>>
>>35352151
The fatties will pass the fuck out and I'll have to give them CPR
>>
File: WP_20150910_19_34_10_Pro.jpg (919 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150910_19_34_10_Pro.jpg
919 KB, 1456x2592
>>35352089
Do p90x style 1 minute intervals. Bodyweight squats, pushups, crunches, planks, side planks. Then make them run. Then make them do the bodyweight routine again. When they slow down or sag whisper "faggot" gently in their ear to motivate them
>>
>>35352310
I don't think I can fit all 80 people on the track at once though
>>
>>35352089
Maybe search for some tae-bo style routine.
>>
File: 1448678074440.jpg (18 KB, 317x428) Image search: [Google]
1448678074440.jpg
18 KB, 317x428
zonk
>>
Im in the military and this is what we did one time when we had a large number of people and no equipment.
If there is a soccer oval, or large enough ground, get them to split into 4 groups, and start at each corner. On the whistle blast, they sprint/run to each corner and conduct a number of bodyweight exercises (we did 20 off memory.) (such as a squat/pushup/etc) before running to the next corner and so on.
>>
Have everyone run 2 miles on the track then make everyone run a lap and the top 5 people get to go home and keep going until everyone is done

Easy
>>
PT on Xmas eve? What are you OP? Run for 45 or do some bullshit like Frisbee, duck, duck goose or some shit.
>>
>>35353363
He's probably russian or something

Everyone has the day off for Christmas eve in the military tomorrow
>>
>>35353373
Maybe, that or his unit fucked up.
>>
>>35353373
Most shore commands have half days.
>>
>>35353406
I'm in the dumb 101st tryhard division and even we have the day off for the entire post, OP is getting cucked hard
>>
>>35352089
Circuit train for your physical tests bro. Don't try to come up with some new age shit. Here is a good workout that shouldn't really take more than 15-20 minutes for everybody to be piss tired if they give at least %85. Do a group circuit training like this, Have group 1 do pushups, group 2 do sit ups, have the 3rd group run a sprint for a quarter mile (one lap on olympic size tracks). So get everybody into their groups and get into position for their current exersice. When you yell "GO", or start, or whatever you wanna yell, The running group will take off as the rest of the guys start doing push ups/sit ups. When the last person running crosses the line you yell "switch!". That's when everybody rotates to the next group. So the cycle will go like this,

Push up group rotates to sit ups.
Sit up group toes the line to start their sprint.
Runners get ready for push ups.

When everybody is in position you yell "start" again. Just do this cycle until your workout time is up. I always found that it motivated them to workout harder/faster if you set a certain number of cycles. For example, just tell them, "Alright, so we have to complete 15 cycles and that's our pt today, so how long we stay here is up to you guys."

I always hated the mentality of "If I make them run 8 miles then their 2 mile time will improve." It's fucking dumb and takes a ton of time to do compared to better workouts that will help your guys advance. You make these guys to this cyclic workout twice a week and do a 2 mile run or full pt test once a week and their pt scores will skyrocket and they will all be in MUCH better shape than if you half assed a long run.

Also, don't make your guys "hold the push up position" before everybody else is ready. It's fucking dumb when they are about to do a core workout and do sprints. It really just makes them half ass everything a little more when you do this.
>>
>>35352089
Just 45 minutes of lunges and CD 3.
>>
How about you quit being a piece of shit and read 7-22?
>>
>>35353363
LMFAO believe it or not I'm Air Force

faggy commander is padding his EPR by making us work half days. It's fucking stupid.

I should go there and make everyone play duck duck goose. I mean fuck, it's Christmas eve, and technically that's still PT.

I'd get an LOC quick AF though lmao
>>
>>35353491
He can't.
He is Air Force.

In all seriousness though, FM 7-22 will help. You don't have to invent something the military has already created.

OP what is your rank?
Are you an NCO? Because if you are this should be shit to be aware of already.
E5 here.
>>
File: 51a23f3366edb.jpg (166 KB, 737x960) Image search: [Google]
51a23f3366edb.jpg
166 KB, 737x960
>>35353454
I'm gonna do this though. Thanks bro, it's a really good idea. Should break up with monotony of the b/s circuits we've been doing.

I think your thinking.
>>
>>35353770
I'm a brand new E-3 and they put me in charge of this shit, get a load of that, eh?
>>
>>35353774
No problem. Sprints twice a week (mon and wed) coupled with the physical test of your branch on that friday is basically the best time friendly and stat improving workout routine that you can set up for group pt.

I hated retarded long workouts while I was in the Navy. Mother fuckers would make us run like 6-8 miles along with retarded little "exercises" along the way and it would take for fucking ever. Who the fuck wants to shit, shower, shave, and eat in a 10 minute window because you took forever at PT and have to be at work soon. Fuck that retarded military bullshit. This way you knock out a solid ass workout for military standards and have plenty of your own time as well to recoup from your workout and get ready for the day ahead.
>>
Indian run for a couple kliks then finish off with 10 minute burpee, pullup circuit.
>>
>>35353787
This will be a good experience for you then.
It's bullshit that there is no NCO around to help you out other than here.

>>35353454
You already saw it but I like this guy's ideas.

Since you're in a pinch I still say just run a basic PT session.

When you form them up, speak loudly and clearly. If you forget something try not to get flustered just take a deep breath and continue on. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. The fact that you're an E3 running a company PT means someone thinks that you can handle it.
>>
>>35354050
There's plenty on NCO's and SNCO's who are PTLs but I think they're testing me or something, whatevs I can handle being in front of people and that shit so yeah. Thanks for the tips though bro.
>>
>>35354080
Even if they are testing you, there should be an NCO giving you some kind of assistance at your rank. Otherwise it verges on being set up to fail and that would make me rage.

Who gave you this duty? Your first line leader?
>>
>>35352089
JUST DO PRT YOU FUCKING SCRUB!!!
>>
>>35354178
Very little assistance was given. I mean, I've been to enough PT sessions that I know how it works.
>>
Two stations. One on one side of the track, one on the other, each a different exercise. Do your sit ups, sprint to the other station, then do your push ups. Do for however many laps.

Plus warm up and cool down.
>>
>>35352089
Everyone partner up. Have a run course (100-800m long, your choice) and a space to do exercises. Choose an exercise (let's say pushups.)

You say "GO" and partner 1 runs the course and partner 2 does push-ups. When partner 1 tags 2 he stops, and tells him how many he did. Now reverse roles and try to beat score. Rest 1-3 mins and do the same for chin ups, burpees, whatever else. I call it blue falcon PT.
>>
>>35353476
Yesss
>>
>>35352089
>PT on christmas eve
Good joke
>>
play lil jon and zumba
>>
You could do something fun. Line drills (break em into equal lines, and have them sprint, lunge, do buddy carries, crab walk, whatever...) down their line. Make it a race.

You could run relays. Break into 4 squads, spread those squads out along however many pass-offs/tag-offs you need. Race around track.

Play a sport. DODGEBALL!
>>
How is this even a question?

100 push ups
100 sit ups
100 squats
10 km running
>>
>>35352089
do you have any access to gear?
What kind of unit are you in?

If you have access to dumbells, kettlebells or a litter then good.

if not just tell them to go run.

A workout I loved to do with my platoon was have the 4 sqauds break up

each squad was given 125 lbs in different weighted kettlebells (couple 10, 15's, 25, 30/35).

Each squad was instructed to run 1 mile carrying the weight, they have to stay together the whole time or be "punished".

After one mile they must each complete 50 push ups 50 situps.

Next they must run another mile with the same rules.

Repeat as necessary

This workout is physical challenging but not only that.

1. It forces each member to contribute an equal amount. Girls or weaker soldiers may only carry the 10's or 15's but they will still be expected to push themselves. The studs can carry the heavier weights but will have to hand them off sometimes.

2. Forces the squad leader to plan, a successful squad will be one that best manages how the weight is being distributed.

3. forces squads to work togethers

4. creates a competitive incentive

5. Squads must follow the rules. If a kettlebell touches the ground at any time. a penalty is induced in the form of 30 seconds of planking.

6. this is also true during the time when push ups and sit ups are being completed meaning more planning is necessary.

You guys probably get the general gist of things but it has always gone very well when I've done it in the past. Can obviously be tweaked.
>>
>>35352089
Dude
IT'S THE MILITARY
All we fucking do is circuit training.

Start out with terminators
half set 10-1(no 1-10)
switch to pushups
switch to situps
finish the half set 1-10.
jog in place between each item.
>????
profit

I mean jesus christ Anon, do you want to be an NCO or not?
>>
>>35355417
That's a very interesting idea. What branch are you and what kind of unit? AR and engineer
>>
>>35353433
Any tips for an 11B fresh out of OSUT in getting into the 101st? I've got airborne in my contract and I'm probably not going to get selected (18X) and I want to join the 101st. Any advice would help
>>
>>35352089
do scoobys beginning workout plan, should take a little more than an hour if you include cardio

http://scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/
>>
>>35355435
also
>indoor track
have them bring their rucks(45lb minimum weights) and get some 60/120s on.
>>
>>35355417
Running while holding weights doesn't do shit for your PT scores and doesn't build any decent muscle or condition you for things you will actually be doing. Most people in the military aren't fucking grunts or corpsmen that would have to carry stupid ass amounts of weight, especially not while running. Not to mention that he's AF, there's probably 400 guys in the AF total that would benefit from something like that. That whole team building shit is stupid too, these aren't guys who just met, they work together for 8-14 hours a day every single day.

This is how you get the whole group to go back to the squadron and talk about how that one or two lazy bitches in the group always carry the 15lb weights. Unless you're in something that will be in combat, that's a dumb ass way to work out.

There are much better ways to work out that builds teamwork better than that.
>>
Squadron in formation.

Burpees, on cadence. All together now, BEGIN.

...and keep going til ~20% of the squadron falls out.
>>
>>35355531
>People in my unit are all shit bags so I shouldn't do anything that remotely challenges them.

This is why people make fun of the air force.

>>35355448
I'm RA 67J. Have done this workout with a number of different units/ages/MOS's etc.
>>
>>35355502
Squat twice a week and deadlift twice a week. Do pullups to failure for as many sets as you feel you can 3 times a week. Do core strengthening exercises as well, you can choose whatever you like. Practice push ups and sit ups. Those will build most all of the muscles that you need.

>>35355553
>>35355511
>>35355435

All of these fucking guys are just throwing shit out that they've seen people do before or they've done it and felt exhausted at the end of it. There is a difference in wearing yourself out and doing something beneficial.

>>35353454
This guy had the best plan.

>>35354235
Second best

>>35354237
3rd

>>35355312
4th but with a 5k, not 10.

>>35354283
none of that sounds fun except dodgeball.

>>35355598
Not in the AF, but I agree with that guy. Running while holding weights is fucking stupid and if you're one of those retards that has to be "tougher" than the other guy, or other branch, instead of training for your job and physical expectations then you're the pt guy that everybody hates for making them do dumb shit instead of an actual workout. "hur hur, I did stupid shit to exhaust myself while those pussies are doing something that benefits them." "Why can't everybody want to do dumb shit and feel cool like me."

Do you think that MLB players play football to train?
>>
>>35355689
I don't understand, running while carrying weight is EXACTLY what you do in combat. Sometimes I switch it w a litter which is also LITERALLY what you do in combat.

>hurr durr but what about non combat MOS.
by that logic why have them pt at all? that logic makes no sense at all.

What is a better example of practical PT?

Holepunchs x15
Memo writing x10
Car driving x20
>>
>>35355689
>All of these fucking guys are just throwing shit out that they've seen people do before or they've done it and felt exhausted at the end of it. There is a difference in wearing yourself out and doing something beneficial.

This guy apparently has never been in the military or understand the basic concept of group pt.

Military PT is circuit training, it has been for the last 10 years.
>>
>>35355759
You rarely run while carrying weight in combat. You walk all god damned day with a bunch of weight on your back, then get attacked and do a few short sprints to maneuver on your target. Even if you have to pull a wide flank you are still bounding, so at most you are running for less than a minute at a time (dependent on terrain and cover).
>>
Barbell flies
>>
Take all eighty guys, pair them up in groups of two and make them do buddy carry runs and pullups with their buddy hanging on and end it with pushups with one guy sitting on their back and switching off on failure.
>>
>>35355759
see
>>35353454
By that logic, you would train for what you do, and train for a better prt score so that you can advance in rank. You are dumb as fuck to tell a mechanic to train for combat when he should be training for his physical test.

>>35355789
Different kind of circuit training would help a shit load more than that stuff though. see
>>35353454
>>
>>35355689
If you're in the Army (irrespective of AA, AR, or NG), training for your job and physical expectations should be training as a Soldier first. Fuck what the other branches are doing. Fuck what your MOS is. You never know what will be expected of you when you are down range.
>Do you think that MLB players play football to train?
That's a shit analogy. Do you think your enemy is is going to say "hey let's leave those truck drivers alone, a foot patrol of infantry will be a fairer fight."
If you aren't physically conditioned to fight, then the chances that you getting killed, and some of your battle buddies as well, will increase.
Preparedness wins in the long run.

>>35355814
Not all combat is going to come at you while you're wearing battle rattle.

These types of thinking is what irks me about many people in the reserves.
>>
have everyone bring their ruck and have it weigh at least 30 pounds.

Ruck March in PTs in a single file line for 40 minutes.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.