[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
High Elevation Mask
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (219 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
219 KB, 500x500
>Do these actually improve run time?
>Has anyone used one?

I'm from Colorado, in the Army. We run a lot. On leave right now in Kansas, and we have a PT test as soon as we get back and I'm wondering if I just wasted 80$
>>
File: vibram fivefingers.jpg (38 KB, 600x442) Image search: [Google]
vibram fivefingers.jpg
38 KB, 600x442
I think they work pretty darn well.
I picked one up yesterday as I was buying some new vibrams
>>
>>35345571
Oh very funny
>>
>>35345560
God that thing makes me want to shave my head and carve in some league of shadows markings on my scalp
>>
>>35345560
i think you'd have to be a pretty big guy to pull that off, the embarrassment from running in public with one of these would be extremely painful
>>
>>35345560
They're fantastic for letting everyone within visual know that you're retarded
>>
>>35345600
Tell me about OP, why does he wear the mask?
>>
I work in the town where these are made. It just happens to be the same town that the gas masks for the military are made. Dude just stole an idea and made millions off of it. Use a straw if you want to restrict your breathing and save 100 dollars and some dignity.
>>
>>35345560
I think they look very cool anon, I always wanted to be a mortal kombat ninja.
>>
Read a post a while back explaining why these are bullshit. Can't recall specifics, but essentially they don't work because you take off the mask at the end of your workout. Training for 1 hour != living at high altitudes. Your body isn't adapting to shit.
>>
File: 41MFnP3UTJL._SY400_.jpg (20 KB, 466x400) Image search: [Google]
41MFnP3UTJL._SY400_.jpg
20 KB, 466x400
>>35345571
Don't forget speed chute
>>
I had a doctor call me a dumbass for wearing one and explain to me that it'll cause hypertrophy of the heart and fuck me up permanently if used long term. He said literally to just run hill sprints
>>
>>35345560
Yeah we were made to wear them in the Army for PT.
Wasn't nearly as bad as full faced gas masks.
Still shitty though.
>>
>>35345687
Was it Dr. Pavel?
>>
>>35345684
That actually serves a purpose. Elevation masks are nearly meme tier. 5 fingers are memes.
>>
>>35345560
It will improve your oxygen intake efficiency. but it also comes down to how well the equipments function.

They do the same type of training for mountain climbing because of low oxygen on higher alt.

If you are using it for Running or endurance training then its a plus, but for strength work out, not so effective because oxygen was never the problem in lifting.
>>
>>35345738
Yeah I'm just using it because I know how hard it is from going to sea level altitude to going back to Colorado at 6,000 and running fucking 7 miles. So I got the mask to not necessarily improve, but to keep my run time the same ya know?
>>
>Coloradobro worrying about running
Nigga unless you've been in Kansas for a fucking month, you still have super lungs.
>>
>>35345684
>2015
>not running so fast you need a parachute to slow down

never gonna make it
>>
>>35345687
A bigger heart will fuck you up permanently?
doubt it.
>>
>>35345761
You're right.
It won't fuck up your life.
It'll just drastically shorten it.
>>
>>35345761

Ventricular hypertrophy (which is what most people mean by heart enlargement or similar) does have a marked tendency to kill people in more extreme cases.

Its sadly rather common in both elite strength athletes and elite distance athletes.
>>
File: 3221507-2307282-55860.jpg (11 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
3221507-2307282-55860.jpg
11 KB, 240x160
Jason "autist" blaha made few videos just recently on the subject presenting a good case why anyone using one is a dumb fuck.

The supposed purpose of elevation masks is to increase the hemoglobin in your blood, but as it only decreases the amount of air you can breathe in instead of lowering the O2 percentage in you breathing air, it just ends up hurting your lungs instead

you dun goofed OP
>>
>>35345758
I'll be in Kansas for 23 days
>>
>>35345560
How long have you been in Carson? If you already acclimated to the altitude it shouldn't be a problem, being on leave for the holidays isn't enough time to bring you back down to lower elevation.

>wondering if I just wasted $80

Yeah sorry dude, you did. They've been proven to be ineffective. You can't train in high altitude and live in low altitude. You need to train and live in high altitude.

Also I could have sworn those were banned in Fort Carson. Maybe the newest Commanding General allowed them back in.

Just keep training even while on leave. I've seen soldiers come from sea level and run a sub 13 minute within the first week of being here. Being a good runner comes first, acclimating to the altitude comes second.
>>
>>35345761
hypertrophy isnt exactly just the heart getting bigger. Its more blood being pumped into the chambers eventually causing them to lose elasticity and become less efficient, especially at lower volumes/pressures. Look up frank starlings law and look up a bit how the heart works to find out more.
>>
>>35345823
I've been at Carson for like a year now
>>
>>35345823
Idk I've heard mixed things. I guess all it really does is like...help you sustain the suck of running. Idk. I'm gonna keep using it till I get to Colorado and see for myself
>>
Unless you wear this 24/7 it is NOWHERE NEAR like being in "high elevation."

People who purchase these are retarded. Just go live on an elevated area and skip the mask entirely.
>>
>>35345738
They don't work genious.
Haemoglobin carries oxygen in the blood. Real life elevation training will increase the amount of haemoglobin present in the blood but these masks do not do that. So, they are meme-tier shit-garbage.
>>
>>35345729
Obviously not. He says nothing.
>>
>>35345560
Breathing through a straw would be cheaper and lighter. And, it's infinitely adjustable cut it shorter to make it easier, keep it long for added difficulty. Plus clean up is easy just throw it in the trash when you realize what a dunce you have been.
>>
>>35345855
>>35345860
The decisions all on you. But the way I see it is like this.

>Colorado: Run 7 miles at a 7:00 mile pace, while acclimated to altitude.
>Kansas: Run 7 miles at 6:30 mile pace, god bless the altitude gains.
>Kansas with mask: Run 7 miles at 8:00 mile pace

Regardless if you do or don't wear the mask, just give 100% of yourself to the run. In Kansas, don't run the same pace you did while in Colorado, go even harder and make sure you punish your body. If you give 100%, for every single run, and it's only 23 days. You won't lose out too much. If you're running a 6:30 mile pace in Kansas, and you acclimate to the lower altitude, but you continue to train a 6:30 mile. When you go back to Colorado, and the altitude beats you, it'll just beat you back to a 7:00 mile pace. you're back where you started.

There's a reason why soccer and hockey teams from out of state can still come here and beat our teams. As you become a better athlete, you get diminishing returns from the altitude. Just make sure you keep running and it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>35345812
Kansas isn't that much lower than Denver iirc, it's definitely not sea level. You probably wasted $80, but now just wear it when you're back up here and you can pretend you're training in Kathmandu.
>>
>>35345560
It will make your diaphragm stronger. I don't even know if that's a good thing, but that's all it will do.

You have to live at high altitude to get the benefits. Might as well train balls-out instead of trying to pretend you're training at elevation for the first time and not getting the oxygen you need to work hard.
>>
>>35345925
>Kansas isn't that much lower than Denver.

Depends on what part of Kansas, but rule of thumb is West to East Kansas shifts from 3K to 1K elevation. And most people live in the 1K side. Meanwhile, most people in Colorado live in the 5-6K elevation. So it's still pretty significant.

>Kathmandu

Kathmandu is only at 4K
>>
>>35345925
denver is actually higher than kathmandu
>>
>>35345812
There are three types of sun in Kansas.

Sunshine.
Sunflowers
& sons of bitches.
>>
>>35346063
dubs get
>>
>>35345560
this guy in op pic thinks he is soooo cool... i think he would look funny getting tossed in the air like a ragdoll after i hit him with my maserati going 90 mph. this guy looks like scrawny marathon-runner bane from tdk2. laaaame
>>
>>35345560
If you train in Colorado, you don't need it, you already get the higher elevation benefit.
>>
>>35345970
>>35345990
Fug, I had no idea I was so high
>implying this isn't a weed joke
>>
>>35345560

You could probably accomplish the same thing by running with your pro mask on, couldn't you?
>>
>>35345872
>being a fucking retard
That's not the reason why they don't work kid.
The problem is to create long term changes in your body you have to live it.
The mask work fine, if you were wearing them all day every day.
You also can't just go to a mountain and do high elevation training, you have to stay in the mountain and live there.
>reasons the olympic training center is in the rocky mountains.
It takes weeks of living daily activities in high altitude or oxygen deprived environments.

There has been evidence to show the mask work for SS distance running if used regularly.
This is more for forced breathing control, but is incredibly dangerous if you're inexperienced with asphyxiation training or fetishes.
>>
It's a gimmick that hipsters use to hide their actual fitness level, which is shit.
>>
>>35345683
so you need to do like Jojo does and wear it for a month?
>>
>>35345560
In a word, no. All they do is make it harder to breathe, they don't decrease the amount of oxygen in the air you're breathing. If you are trying to strengthen your diaphragm this might work (just speculating), but if you are trying to improve your cardio this is not a good idea. The only thing you need to get better at running is to run.
>>
>>35346113
That's a computer generated image anon
>>
>>35345761
Tell that to all the athletes it kills all of the time.
>>
>>35345888
Were those trips part of your master plan?
>>
File: Bill_Wilson-0.jpg (79 KB, 716x768) Image search: [Google]
Bill_Wilson-0.jpg
79 KB, 716x768
>>35345560

If I take that off will you die?
>>
>>35345729
Ironically enough it was a pilot during desert storm who got out and now was a doctor. He saw me training in one and came over to tell me all the negatives about it and regular gas mask wear for exercise in the military

Then he told me a personal story about some guy called "pig" whos team he used to fly in and out of missions in the Gulf war. Apparently pig was some hot shit elite operator and would routinely run and lift in a gas mask but he passed out a bunch of times from over doing it. His brain developed a conditioned response a la Pavlovs dogs to automatically black out whenever he put a gas mask on after that. This when saddam was rumored to be using chemical weapons and gas masks were absolutely crucial. Pig would black out instantly upon donning a gas mask so he was no longer fit for duty and subsequently denied re enlistment. The Marine corps lost a top tier operator, and pig lost his job - all because of le epic elevation Maymay
>>
>>35345560
I actually saw a black dude with this mask on in my gym and laughed.

These things are such jokes
>>
>>35345784
Pretty much this. They don't change the percentage of oxygen. They just make it hard to breath, in other words, you're an idiot.
>>
>>35345628
>because running around with a straw in your mouth will make you look less silly
>>
File: Bane_TDKR3.jpg (49 KB, 470x706) Image search: [Google]
Bane_TDKR3.jpg
49 KB, 470x706
>>35345600
for you
>>
File: 1441568410308.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1441568410308.gif
3 MB, 320x240
>>35345560
Have fun with you collapsed lung bitch boy.
>>
>>35345591
I'm 80% sure they have a bane one.
>>
>>35345560

You only gain the benefits of high altitude if you live there forever. Strapping on a suffocation sack doesn't do jack shit.
>>
>>35346721
Collapsed boypucci as well.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.