[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone else heard about burning calories from being cold?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: cold.gif (17 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
cold.gif
17 KB, 640x480
Has anyone else heard about burning calories from being cold? If you google it theres a bunch of shit saying your body burns calories trying to stay warm when you're cold, and it seems pretty reasonable. My question is, would it be worth while to maybe try sleeping in the cold to burn more calories while cutting?
>>
i'm not sure how much that would really do besides just making sleep shitty. it's probably not worth it, maybe just wear less layers in the day time so you're cold when you go outside
>>
that's legitimately pro-ana anorexia logic that's been circulating since the late 90's.
it doesn't burn a worth while amount of calories.
>>
>>35345242
>>35345263
You don't turn the temp down before you go to sleep? What the fuck? Nothing to do with weight loss, but how do you sleep all sweaty and shit?
>>
Currently 39 degrees freedom units in my house. I have yet to turn on the heat this winter. I don't k ow about caloriea, but it certainly helps beard growth
>>
Just take a bath in freezing water. It won't fuck up your body as much.
>>
if you north, like Alaska north, during the winter, your body can burn over 6000 calories a day.

Just go work a winter in Alaska outside and keep your carb/fat calories down.
>>
>>35345242
There's a chapter about this in Tim ferris 4H body book.(ice bath / cold pack)

i tried it with moderate results,
does not replace a good deficit diet
(minus 500cals to your tdee)+lifting

+cardio (no it does not kill gains if you do it smart)
HIIT is great but hard.
LISS like walking 45min is top tier to do everyday.

cheers anon!
>>
I heard that the reason swimmers eat so many carbs is that their body burns more energy keeping their body heated in addition to the energy spent on swimming. So i bought my self a Tub that i sit in when at the computer. I will keep the windows open so the temperature drops indoors and sit in this cold watered tub and its amazing how my bodyfat percentage has dropped. I also think this has increased by testosterone as it seems my beard has grown a lot as well. I can highly recommend it.
>>
>>35345242
Drinking 2L of ice cold water burns aprox. 400kj.
>almost 2016
>there are people who don't drink ice cold water
>>
If it's 0 degrees today and it's supposed to be twice as cold tomorrow, SS and GOMAD?
>>
>>35347015
is this fact serious?
>>
>>35347041
The temperature of ice water can be estimated at zero degrees Celsius.
Body temperature can be estimated at 37 degrees Celsius.
It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.
There are 2000 grams in 2L of water.

2000 * 37 = 74000
74,000 calories = 74 Calories
74 * 4.2 = 310.8

Drinking 2L of ice water burns aprox 310 KJ
>>
>>35347086
Water at 0°C is ice, anon. You can't drink it.
>>
>>35347151
If it pure h20 at 0 altitude, it would be ice.
But depending on the impurities in it and the altitude you are at, it can be different.
Also he said estimated.
>>
>>35346973
There was a guy who was dyel as shit but also crazy shredded that posted his pic here a while ago. He said it was because he worked I meat freezer all day.

I don't know how much more calories you burn keeping your body warm, seems like it would just make you uncomfortable all the time unless you were actually exercising while chilled.
>>
>>35345242
It's not a scientific answer, but I wouldn't do it.. Sleep is the time for your body to be regenerating, not fighting against a cold environment.

If you're like me you may end up having your sleep interrupted when you wake up shivering, which probably wouldn't be in your best interest.

It's a good question though and worth looking more into, just to know if nothing else.

(bonus sarcastic reply redacted upon fully reading your post, because I thought it was funny):

Better chew gum and bounce your leg(s) as well for maximum burnage!
>>
>>35345242
Yes, it's absolutely true, but it's negligible overall. It makes a lot more sense to just go for a run once a week instead of feeling miserable for the whole week. You might also get a cold (immune system is weakened) and that really doesn't fucking help at all.
>>
>>35347151
Water can exist as 0 deg. C. It would have to be cooled more to turn to ice. /sci/
>>
Im always wearing light clothes when im outside and i noticed that i walk much faster when being cold trying to stay warm. So by walk8ng faster im burning more calories.
>>
>>35345242

Constant exposure to cold increases levels of brown fat. Brown fat is a thermogenic tissue that burns calories to maintain your temperature. I'm not sure how much this can be increased, or how worthwhile it would be pursuing. Consider that it may be too cold for you to get enough quality REM sleep, and your gainz could suffer.
>>
File: sat117002_0507.gif (12 KB, 481x237) Image search: [Google]
sat117002_0507.gif
12 KB, 481x237
>>35347304

This guy knows some shit.
>>
I've heard this too, and there's a few facts behind it.
Yeah, involuntary shivering burns calories. Don't sleep in the fucking cold though, Jesus. Your body recovers better in the warmth. It allows circulation, while the cold obviously doesn't. You can also get sick which'll piss on your gains. Being in the cold for long periods of time also usually makes your body retain fat because it needs the warmth, but that's more dependent on genetics.
I have a mate who works in a freezer too, he's like 7% body fat at most, and only does a few push ups in the mornings. Pretty sure the shivering makes him so cut.

Hell though, could make a new Atkins diet out of sleeping on the lawn to lose weight, could make millions.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.