[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is wine really healthy for you or is it mental gymnastics alcoholics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: red_wine1.jpg (13 KB, 525x345) Image search: [Google]
red_wine1.jpg
13 KB, 525x345
Is wine really healthy for you or is it mental gymnastics alcoholics use to convince themselves they don't have a problem?
>>
File: michaelgreger_1338570357_92.jpg (194 KB, 1418x1050) Image search: [Google]
michaelgreger_1338570357_92.jpg
194 KB, 1418x1050
just ask the man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHNDgaWTaSk
>>
one or two glasses a week aren't bad. but every night is pushing the health benes
>>
>>35345147
not only is a glass of wine a day proven to be beneficial to your health....

alcohol in general is beneficial to gains
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23470309
>Eight resistance-trained men completed two identical acute heavy resistance exercise tests (AHRET: six sets of 10 repetitions of Smith machine squats) separated by 1 wk.
>ost-AHRET, participants consumed either 1.09 g of grain ethanol per kilogram lean mass (EtOH condition) or no ethanol (placebo condition).
>Peak blood ethanol concentration (0.088 ± 0.015 g·dL) was achieved 60-90 min postexercise.
>TT and FT were elevated significantly (P ≤ 0.05) at IP for both conditions. At 140-300 min postexercise, TT, FT, and free androgen index were significantly higher for EtOH (TT: 22.5 ± 12.5 nmol·L; FT: 40.5 ± 7.6 pmol·L) than for placebo (TT: 13.9 ± 6.8 nmol·L; FT: 22.7 ± 10.0 pmol·L). No differences between conditions were noted for SHBG, cortisol, or estradiol.

it almost doubles testosterone.

ancient greeks knew this shit too. milo of cronus supposedly drank 8 pints of wine a day, and athletes were discouraged from drinking at all hours of the day, but encouraged to drink lots of wine (it is believable they could have figured out post-exercise booze almost double test levels just from anecdotal evidence.... the guys that drink all day are fat, the guys that drink after working out are swole.. not rocket appliances, really)

i try to avoid wine on rest days, and drink 3-4 glasses post-workout.

if i can't get my hands on booze within an hour after working out, i generally forget about it.

resveratrol is also an amazing molecule
>>
>>35345323
Does this also work with other alcohols like whisky ?
>>
>>35345384
yea, just aim for a BAC of .088 + or - about .015

they used "grain ethanol", which in this case would be closer to whiskey than a low-proof drink like wine.

but assuming a similar metabolic timeframe, there is no reason to assume a distinction between drinks.

excepting the carb/calorie content of beer, which is generally not conducive to gains (it's called "beer gut" for a reason).. plus some of the grains used in beer-making are implicated as a potential cause of inflammation, which is no bueno.

wine is supposedly healthy as fuark because the terpenoid content, and "anti-oxidants"
so.. roughly as useful as a bit of lemon, i would suppose.
>>
>>35345186
Not really. A glass of red wine a night is highly beneficial, and like the other guy said, more alcohol = higher test = more gains.
>>
>>35345485
>A glass of red wine a night is highly beneficial
>HIGHLY BENEFICIAL

did you even watch the video in >>35345173
>>
>>35345323
BUMP
anyone know some good wines? ive tried a few, with none really standing out but have liked them all. theres just so many!
>>
File: 1440051290301.jpg (64 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1440051290301.jpg
64 KB, 960x720
Why do you think russians are so strong, it's cause all the vodka. When you turn on the sink in russia you can either get hot or cold vodka.
>>
Red wine contains too much sugar.
>>
>>35345500

>p-please watch my video
>>
>>35346048

By which you mean almost fucking none?
>>
>>35346068
Nah it's around 2,8% sugar by weight. One glass (300 mL) is close to 10 grams.
>>
>>35346080
Not him. But for comparison's sake, a standard can of Coke has 35g of sugar.
>>
>>35346097
Nobody who is serious about fitness will drink a can of coke.

Okay red wine is fine if you choose the ones with very little sugar. But you can't drink most white wines.
>>
>>35345173

To summarize this video, the people who benefit most from wine are people who are sedentary, eat poorly, and smoke, in which case it offers slight protection against heart disease. For people who aren't already in terrible shape, it's only going to increase your risk of several cancers.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23470309

Yeah it has antioxidants, but if you're relying on red wine for antioxidants, your diet is shit to begin with.
>>
>>35345323
You idiot, that test boost is nothing compared to the consequences of sleeping less soundly, inhibiting muscle growth and draiming your body of micronutrients.

The short-term test boost is real, but alcohol still keeps that test from helping your gains and inhibits gains over the long term.
>>
>>35346110
I'm not saying anything about fitness, I just brought it up to put into perspective how much sugar wine has.
>>
>>35345147
I drink 50 ml of whiskey/cognac a week, is it bad for health and gain?
>>
>>35347032

>50 ml a week

What the fuck is wrong with you, you pussy faggot? That's like 1.6 shot glasses. Any grown person can have that much every day before lunch and not even think about the (non0-existent) effects.

Also,

>measuring your drink in milliliters

Are you fucking 12?

Die in a fire, cunt.
>>
File: Seems legit.png (155 KB, 1366x727) Image search: [Google]
Seems legit.png
155 KB, 1366x727
>>35345173

This guy looks like a trustworty gentleman.
>>
>>35347082
>all these tabs opened for the sole purpose of taking this picture
>>
>>35347091

>Being new
>>
>>35347060
Why so angry m8, was the gun range closed today?
>>
>>35347082
>those tabs
>>
>>35347105

>being this new
>>
>>35347060
How much should a man drink to not to be a pussy faggot?
>>
>>35346080
>One glass
>300mL
What the fuck? A glass of red wine is 150mL. 200mL at most.
>>
>>35345147
if you can drink just one glass, and keep the bottle half-full for the day after, you're not an alcoholic.
it's a more controlled way to drink, less but more often - actually so little that not even rich alcoholics, that usually don't get roaring drunk but drink every day, are drinking more.
>>
>>35346110
>you can't drink most white wines
but nobody would want to drink those anyway, so...
>>
>>35347131
to be a man, you should drink as much as a man drinks.
are you a man? then you're good, just drink as much as you drink anyway.
if you aren't, you're out of luck, you're drinking as much as a pussy faggot anyway, and you're screwed.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PciBRQXoFg
>>
My family has a small vineyard and my dad sends me a bottle of his production every month, usually merlot or muscat.

I always gave it to friends. Looks like I'll start drinking a glass a day.
>>
>>35348228
Not in the country, brother. We drink from mason jars out here. Hahahaha
>>
ALL alcohol exhibits the health effects of red wine. Red wine somehow magically being healthier is just bunk.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/alcohol-full-story/
>>
>>35345954
Cabarnet and Malbac are my favs
>>
So much trolling in this post.

Wine and beers contain antioxidants, flavonoids, reservatrol, all of which while not nutritionally essential, are shown to have health benefits. Only in moderation.

A glass of wine or beer with dinner every now and then can prove to be beneficial to health, however if you drink to the point of intoxication, not only are you limiting protein synthesis, you're killing your test levels as well.

Tl;Dr in moderation beer and wine are beneficial, in excess, detrimental.
>>
>>35348552
This post >>35345460 seems to prove you wrong. Also most of the antioxidants and other "beneficial" compounds like reservatrol do absolutely nothing. The benefits of drinking come from ethanol, not some meme compounds in some beers and wines.

Finally, the American concept of moderation is also entirely false, as is the claim that drinking to intoxication is bad.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/katiebell/2013/09/03/are-you-drinking-too-much-the-myth-of-moderation/

Upwards of six drinks in many countries is still classified as moderate, and the health benefits of drinking still show themselves even at those levels of drinking. If anyone is trolling, it's tryhard straight edge wannabes like you.
>>
>>35347082
Kek
>>
>>35348649
See, now the issue with that is flavonoids are not "meme" compounds, they have practical health benefits.
If you're going to make the claim that the health benefits are strictly from ethanol, cite an article other than Forbes, maybe try a scientific journal?

Also pls take a nutrition course and don't believe everything you read.
>>
>>35348290
I prefer whites over reds tbph
>>
>>35346152

>sleeping less soundly

Speak for yourself family

>draining your body of micro-nutrients

Any body-builder should be consuming way over the recommended amount of nutrients
>>
>>35345954
Can you describe what you're looking for?
Something to just drink for the sole reason of having a glass, or something to go with food?
Red or white, any preference there?
Robust or light?
Red/white, any preferences?
I also pretty much keep to European wines and don't rightly know a lot about the other wines, so if you can't easily get European wine, I'm not sure I can help you.

Also be sure your wine is tempered properly - I find about 14°C works fine, generally speaking.

Just taking a complete shot in the dark, try out a prosecco - It's a type of Italian sparkling wine that's best had cold (Like, store-it-in-the-fridge cold), and is great to have on its own. I find it's a bit easier to drink (and easier to like) than most champagne, and to a lesser extent, cava, that I've had. Oh, and it's not a wine that's meant to be stored long, so you probably won't find too much vintage prosecco if you want to impress someone. Speaking of which, it's always popular with girls (And people in general). Bubbles make everything so much more fun!
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.