[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm too shy to go the gym so I've been working out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: dumbbell.jpg (130 KB, 1500x896) Image search: [Google]
dumbbell.jpg
130 KB, 1500x896
I'm too shy to go the gym so I've been working out mostly with dumbbells.

I used to have 2 25lb/11kg and 2 40lb/18kg weights but I had to move and after I did I only bought 2 30lb/14kg weights which I do just about everything with. I'm missing having the heavier weights and was about to buy something like 50lb/23kg dumbbells but then I realized I'm really fucking around on my own and have no idea if that would be the best thing to get.

So my question is what would a relatively small purchase, around the same price as 2 50lb/23kg dumbbells, be that would give me a lot of different exercises to do? Mostly interested in strength/all around fitness. I'm skinny trying to put on muscle mass.
>>
Here is a dumbbell only routine i used before i bought my barbell. As you progress use heavier dumbbells or at least increase sets/reps

day 1 – lower body

dumbbell squat OR sumo deadlift (aka plie squat)
3 x 10 – 15
dumbbell stiff-legged deadlift OR one-legged dumbbell deadlift OR dumbbell step-up
3 x 10 – 15
single-legged calf raise
3 x 10-15
ab crunches or Swiss ball crunches
3 x 8-10

day 2 – upper body

one-arm row
3 x 10-15
lying dumbbell press OR pushups
3 x 10-15 (or as many pushups as you can do per set)
standing overhead dumbbell press
3 x 10-15
lower back exercise of choice
3 x 10-15

A good back exercise for beginners are supermans
>>
>>35336891
what about curls?
>>
oh dear, it's one of these again.

you are limiting yourself by using dumbbells only, in my opinion. get yourself a bench, build yourself a rack or buy if you're lazy, get yourself an olympic bar and weight and then go to town. i have never seen or heard of anyone seeing even the smallest of results from dumbbell squats and deadlifts.

progression using those small number of fixed weights is going to be next to impossible, too. if you want to keep training stupid and use dumbbells for absolutely everything you should have at least bought yourself some adjustable ones.

murrica.
>>
>>35336965
/thread
>>
Fucking man up and go to the gym
>>
>>35336891
yeah, this is fine for literally a few weeks but this routine is absolutely unsustainable. to anyone serious, this will end in tears.
>>
>>35336995

>this will end in tears

Why?
>>
Fucking man up and go to the gym
>>
>I'm too shy to go to the gym

No you're fucking not. Go to the gym, feel like a skinny shit, feel like everyone's watching you, make a bunch of dumb newbie mistakes, then go again and you will get used to it. You're on fucking 4CHAN, you think half the people here didn't get over some dumb self-imposed social anxiety to get things done? You're not special.
>>
>>35337019
its just a bunch of random exercises thrown together without any thought or reasoning. its 2 workouts a week, low as fuck volume, and because of OPs silly purchases, no progression.

i think we all understand that dumbbell squats and deadlifts aren't even in the same ball park as the original barbell exercises.

the rows, presses, bench and crunches will be fine if OP gets himself some adjustable dumbells. the calf raises MIGHT be ok if he has weak as shit calves anyway at those babby weights. but you must realize that, in spite of the meagre gains any lifter perhaps may experience from this routine, OP is going to be very much disappointed.

for fucks sake OP, why are you so nervous. just get yourself to a gym if you want to do it right. i dunno why these threads exist, what is it about gyms that is so utterly terrifying that people can't muster the courage to go? i started going when i was 11. ELEVEN. i was a child. you're a grown ass man.
>>
If you're too poor to go gym, fine. Being too shy to go gym is ridiculous though. You will never succeed in life as a person if you let your self consciousness hold you back from achieving your goals. Do it a few times and you will realise the spotlight isn't on you and you will be comfortable doing it. That doesn't just apply to working out but to life generally.

In any case, you can work out at home but you will need calisthenics as well as dumbells. Get one of those doorframe pullup bars if you don't have anywhere else to do them. Even better if you have parallel bars for dips as well
>>
>I'm too shy to go the gym

I was in this position and literally no one gives a single fuck about you, so there's nothing to be shy of.
>>
>>35336771

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d8wqHADTpA
>>
>>35337140

Allright, so for someone that's not really interested in progress but just wants to stay in shape it's fine?
>>
>>35337306
no, it's not fine. especially not for OP since he wants to build muscle.

someone who wants to stay in shape is much better off doing calisthenics or something. calisthenics can be progressed easily enough and that other workout can't with op's weights.

and, if you really want to just stay in shape, get to a gym and use the equipment there. there is literally nothing useful OP can do that a gym won't do better. no not better, properly. so long as OP chooses to train with that equipment, he is choosing to sacrifice gains and waste time and effort. its like hunting with a bow you made yourself vs hunting with an AK-47. there is a correct choice, and in this case, joining a gym or buying all the necessary equipment is the correct choice.
>>
>>35336771
>those dumbbells
Are those dumbbells the standard or something? 2 gyms have exactly those things, same everything.
>>
>>35337306
>stay in shape

You need to get in shape to stay in shape.

And no
>>
>>35337511
>>35337572

Let me phrase it differently. If you're in shape (OP has nothing to do with this question), you have adjustable dumbbells and you just want to stay in shape it's fine? If you're already in shape and don't feel the need to grow is it fine?
>>
>>35337622
Could you define what exactly 'in shape' means to you? I get the feeling that people on /fit/ would have a different definition.
>>
>>35337831
It's irrelevant to my question, but I guess not being obese and not dying after a 10k bike ride?
>>
>>35338016
It's not irrelevant. You'd be hard pressed to maintain anything decent (physique wise) with adjustable dumbbells.

Generally speaking

>not being obese

can be controlled by diet

>not dying after a 10k bike ride

do regular cardio
>>
1. Find/make a place to do pullups.
2. Go find Scoobys Beginner Workout. scoobysworkshop. com /beginning-workout-plan /
3. Do it EVERY time, like it is the best program on earth (it is)
4. Change it when another program proves to you that it is better.
5. Prof it

If you are doing this for a few months, and someone convinces you that going to a gym is worthwhile, you will be in better shape when you get there. Took me over 20 years to realize that I wasn't going to be a gym person and find something to do at home.

You could also look into 5BX. George Burns, one of the earliest celebrity health icons (sucking down expensive cigars with armfuls of sluts - and that was just in FRONT of the crowds - into his hundredth year) claimed that he did 5BX every day.

A beaurocrat invented it. How bad could it be?
>>
File: ryan-gosling.jpg (61 KB, 594x891) Image search: [Google]
ryan-gosling.jpg
61 KB, 594x891
>>35337511
How about mixing bodyweight exercises with dumbbells? So pull ups, dips, all that good stuff and dumbbell (say, 70kg) squats and calf raises? Maybe curls/deadlifts?

pls no bully, just crs

pic not related
>>
File: Brohatma rutina.png (77 KB, 1179x397) Image search: [Google]
Brohatma rutina.png
77 KB, 1179x397
>>35336771
Dude can't you buy some DB with adjustable weight? so you can actually put more weight weekly or something like that?

Anyway, I'm some anon posted this routine. Feel free to check it out.
>>
>>35338116

I give up.
>>
>>35336974

This.

Also, personally, I find that when I work out at home, I don't work nearly as hard as I do when I go to the gym. I'm not sure why. Seriously like 5x the intensity at the gym...
>>
>>35338265
Thanks, I like this Scooby guy's stuff. I'm a little more adept than OP so I'm gonna start on his intermediate plan, but he seems really sensible and it looks like his plans hit all the right areas.
>>
>>35338277

The only things that are really hard to find a solid replacement for with bodyweight are deadlifts and heavier squats. Squats because even the more advanced bodyweight variations end at a relatively low level. Deadlifts because there's just really no equivalent bodyweight exercise.

Whole upper body you can work fairly well with just calisthenics really, as long as you have a pullup bar and parrallel bars available.
>>
>>35336771
too shy?
You've got to be fucking kidding me...
>>
A bodyweight based routine could help. Try doing it with a bag of rocks/sand/dumbell on your back if things are too easy. The just go find anything around that you can deadlift for lower back
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.