[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have sciatica and I'm wondering which lifts are the worst
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
I have sciatica and I'm wondering which lifts are the worst for your lower back? From what I've read so far it's ohp, bent over rows, deadlift, and squats.

What other lifts qualify for being awful for lower back?
>>
>>35329950
Those lifts aren't bad for your lower back as long as you don't round your back.

Maintain proper form and don't go full retard with the weight you're doing.
>>
>>35329950
I've has a little of this and agree on all the lifts toy mentioned, it's kind of left me with only bench press, shit sucks pham
>>
>>35329974
>maintain proper form
God I am sick of this meme... Ofcourse form is important but most of us are doing this shit by ourselves and can't fuxking tell if our form is good or not till our backs are fucked up..

isnt this fucking obvious?
>>
>>35329996
Literally put a camera next to you and let it record. Then see how you can improve your form if needed.

Isn't it fucking obvious?
>>
>>35329974
>>35329974
They put an immense amount of pressure on your spine even with perfect form you idiot.
>>
>>35330029
Then don't do them? If they cause pain you're doing them wrong anyway.
>>
>>35330025
That's assuming you don't snap your shit up before you can watch the video. All it takes is one time.
>>
>>35329974
You're fucking retarded, I have a herniated disk and anything above 220 pretty much demolishes my lower back during deadlifting, even with perfect form. The fact that the spine is under increased pressure is enough to fuck you up, you don't have to have bad form.
>>
>>35329950
9 months ago i herniated a disc
i aggressively rehabbed it with stretches decompression and osteo work, i never stopped squatting and deadlifting and basically had to deload to bar

despite all this, i have had lingering sciatica the whole time, it comes and goes

9 months ago i could barely lift my legs up lying down, last sunday at a powerlifting comp i deadlifted 310kg

its not a death sentence, just need to train and rehab smart
>>
>>35330055
Then don't snap your shit up.
>>
>>35330100
not everyone is interested in competitive lifting

those who are solely interested in bodybuilding should be advised to avoid the riskier heavy compound lifts when safer isolation exercises warrant identical results
>>
>>35330162
But his advice is solid as fuck and him being a comp lifter doesn't change that at all
>>
>>35330162
>>35330223
i dropped full rom deadlifts in favour of block pulls from two inches to avoid the most stressful part of the movement
>>
>>35329950
How do I avoid back pain with OHP? Just deload?
>>
>>35330100
>stretches decompression and osteo work

can you go into more detail on this? what kind of stuff did you do?
>>
>>35330025
This. I lift at my parent's house and my parents know literally nothing about lifting so they can't give me form advice. My squat form was snap-city tier and all it took was like 3 squat sessions recording each set for me to perfect my form (by perfect I don't mean literally flawless, but my form is no longer dangerous and I go much deeper than parallel now).
>>
>>35329974
don't listen to this piece of shyt.

Same problem as you.

Lifts you mentioned: bent over rows, diddy, squat, overhead press when it's standing or with bb. Seated ohp doesn't give me issues. I also can't do hyperextentions for more than a couple of weeks, even with body weight only.

So no issues at all when doing leg presses, db split squats and I suspect that hack squats with back support could also work for me.
>>
>>35330322
Yeah I had low back problems with OHP and I delayed about 40 pounds and did low sets/high reps for awhile to practice getting the form down. Main things that will help you in OHP:
>stack under the bar. Your feet should be under your body, no leaning forward or backward
>before unracking, make sure your elbows point toward the ground, nowhere else
>use a close grip, OHP uses a closer grip than almost any other lift
>bend your UPPER back before unracking and keep it bent. This will help stabilize and use your chest much more effectively, as well as keep strain off your lower back
>the bar should go straight up, don't let the bar go a bit in front of you on the way up, to avoid hitting your face you can move your head back as the bar rises

Just study some youtube videos of buff guys doing OHP, deload, and practice at easier weights you'll be fine. OHP is a lift that many people don't do right so there's absolutely no shame in using babby weights for the sake of better form. I used babby weights for maybe 4 months before trying to progress again and now I'm doing 120 for sets of 5 fairly easily with very good form, whereas before I had to really strain and put my low back at risk to barely get a set of 5 at 115.
>>
>>35330322
Don't overextend your back. Flex your glutes as hard as you can.
>>
>>35330058
Then how do you explain me deadlifting 5 plate without a problem?
You are the retarded one here.
>>
>>35330322
Deload, don't extend back, tighten core and wear a belt.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.