[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking of building my own rack. This is the design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 15
File: PR1.png (243 KB, 1066x931) Image search: [Google]
PR1.png
243 KB, 1066x931
I'm thinking of building my own rack.
This is the design I came up with so far.

First of all, if you could build your own power rack, what features would it certainly have? What would you change on your current rack?

Does the rack look structurally sound?
Will the bench support my weight?
Is there enough room in front of the rack (+/-85cm) for deadlifts?
Is 1 layer of osb(18mm) + 1 layer of rubber (15mm) enough padding to protect my floor while deadlifting?

I have not decided yet how I will make the J-hooks, simple bolts with a washer welded on, or a real j-hook.

Dimensions of the rack are roughly 2m x 0.65m x 1.2m. All steel tubing is 60mm X 60mm with a wall thickness of 4mm everything that isn't welded will be bolted together with 15mm(diameter) bolts, including the rack to the platform The platform is 2.4m x 1.8m (rubber on the sides not pictured)
>>
File: PR2.png (92 KB, 943x827) Image search: [Google]
PR2.png
92 KB, 943x827
Different view of the setup
All comments welcome.
>>
File: PR7.png (25 KB, 1008x748) Image search: [Google]
PR7.png
25 KB, 1008x748
Bench

Bottom horizontal pieces are 40cm long, height is aprox. 42cm (excluding the board and cushioning).
>>
File: handmade guillottine.jpg (53 KB, 700x396) Image search: [Google]
handmade guillottine.jpg
53 KB, 700x396
>>35306093
>I've no clue if what I'm building will be solid enough and I've come to /fit/ for advices
What could possibly go wrong
>>
File: PR5.png (34 KB, 577x804) Image search: [Google]
PR5.png
34 KB, 577x804
Parts
These will be bolted together.
>>
File: PR4.png (18 KB, 319x887) Image search: [Google]
PR4.png
18 KB, 319x887
Closeup of a single upright.
Holes for safeties are 30mm (diamter)

>>35306129
I'm certain the rack will hold up the weight.
I was more enquiring about wobble and nice features I might have missed. Features only someone with experience would know.
>>
File: PR6.png (638 KB, 1500x593) Image search: [Google]
PR6.png
638 KB, 1500x593
Platform (rubber mats not pictured)
>>
Do you have the CAD files op? I might also be interested in getting a rack made.
I'm not entirely sure about those gussets being big enough though
>>
>>35306093
Looks good OP
Keep us posted
>>
If I was building one, it would have a bar holder thing to do tbar rows. Also a pullup bar at the top. Oh and a couple bars sticking out to load and unload a bar for deadlifts.
>>
Do you have the proper tools to build one? If not it's better if you buy one or even pay for a gym membership.
>>
>>35306093
Looks plenty strong. I would buy a pair of j-hooks that fit. Floor should be fine if concrete and you don't really drop the bar.
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 733x462) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 733x462
Mechanical engineer here.

You will at least want two more members along the bottom to improve stability and leg alignment.

See pic related for your reference.

Steel sections should be sufficient. Are you welding this thing yourself? You will definitely want a quality weld job done in this thing.
>>
File: PR8.png (54 KB, 1248x915) Image search: [Google]
PR8.png
54 KB, 1248x915
I changed out the gussets on both the rack and bench, made them bigger.
Also went ahead and designed J-hooks, but it might be simpler to just weld a washer on a cilindrical piece of steel.
I'm not much concerned about lateral movement, so it seems like stability is taken care of.

I might still look into pins for attaching bands, however, I do not use bands in my current routine, so I will see.

Also thinking of plate storage. Not really sure where to put it on a rack like this one, so I will probably make it seperate.
Still have to decide If I will make a tree or just a wooden box with slots.

Anyone have any ideas on dips? seperate dipstand or the horn-thingies you can hang off the safety-holes?

>>35307031
I currently have a gym membership, but I don't like to be restricted by opening hours and traffic.
I take welding classes after uni in eveningschool once a week, So material is taken care of, I will ofcourse have to supply my own steel.
>>
Engineer again.

The bolted flanges look terribly thin and need to be beefed up to at least 10-12mm (whatever flats they sell on your side of the pond).

I need more close-ups of the bolted connections, welds, braces, and anything that's a sort of joint.
>>
File: PR9.png (1 MB, 1238x825) Image search: [Google]
PR9.png
1 MB, 1238x825
>>35307046
Tolerances on the J-hooks is the reason why I'm still undecided how I will handle this.

>>35307060
I considered this, but assumed bolting the uprights to the platform does the same job.

>>35307091
Will make them thicker.
>>
>>35307113
>pic
Make the flange wider so that you don't have to do a bevel weld. You'll prefer a fillet weld (look these things up).

Like I said, at least 10-12 mm thick. Maybe even 8mm would work... This is just paper thin and asking for trouble
>>
>>35307153
Thx m8.
Will do
>>
>>35307113
>I assumed...
You should prefer that the steel frame be internally aligned prior to bolting down, such as with additional low members. Consider adding the members anyways.
>>
>>35306093
Just literally copy rogues dimensions or any style you like and then if you can weld then cool if not then use grade 8 bolts. Your biggest cost factor will be what guage steel you want use. After I spent a lot of money on a cage I felt kind of dumb because its really a no nonsence design that I could've easily built.
>>
>>35307220
He designed it in metric. Methinks he'll have an easier time finding metric specification bolts.
>>
make sure you buy the wrong material and use incorrect lengths that'll cause breaks when too much force is applied and you end up crushing your head because you failed to take into account force and pressures because you're a 1st year ME student or something

just buy one that's been tested you faggot
>>
>>35307060
>You will at least want two more members along the bottom to improve stability and leg alignment.
This, also an engineer if it makes any
difference
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dy5eyMDt3c
check this
>>
>>35307210
>>35307153
Did what you suggested, thank you.

>>35307220
Around where I live, I have never seen a rack made out of simple square tubing. NEver seen one in real life, and I've been around.
So I have based the basics of my rack on the one in the equipment section of SS, only I want to be able to dissasemble it.

http://startingstrength.com/files/starting_strength_rack.pdf

>>35307318
Already seen this, but proper wood is very expensive around my area. So why not build something more permanent and more modular?
>>
>>35306093
why do you need to buy a giant lady tho?
>>
File: rack.png (203 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
rack.png
203 KB, 700x525
why dont you build a sumo rack? looks a lot easier and its the same shit desu. just gonna need a pullup bar which is cheap.
>>
File: manlet.png (6 KB, 268x681) Image search: [Google]
manlet.png
6 KB, 268x681
>>35307512
>giant lady
She's 170cm, you fucking manlet.

>>35307571
You might be onto something, would be much less work, and way cheaper. But I'm not sure how much you can trust loading a heavy bar high on a single upright. Could one of the engineer guys chime in?
>>
File: greg chin up.png (725 KB, 708x730) Image search: [Google]
greg chin up.png
725 KB, 708x730
>>35306129
>thinking it is hard to build a sturdy structure.
even engineers will tell you any child can make a building that is strong.

as long as you don't care about weight, you can just keep adding reinforcment.

plus if you are dealing with welded steel, shit is pretty fucking sturdy to begin with....

OP never said he isn't sure what he is building will be solid enough.
any jackass who dropped out of high school can easily figure that shit out.

as to the OP, get a bar that lets you do hammer chin-ups and wide pull ups. like pic related
>>
You need bars on the bottom, otherwise racking weights is going to tear those bolts/screws/fasteners up from the floors. Also don't worry about the space in front for deadlifts, you can DL between the bars
>>
>>35307678
Engineer here.

The sumo rack you see here >>35307571
has some good low structure capable of taking moment loads from racking. Without the low structure, it's a guillotine.
>>
>>35307941
Machinist here, fuck you
>>
File: jb_rack3_lg.jpg (2 MB, 2992x2992) Image search: [Google]
jb_rack3_lg.jpg
2 MB, 2992x2992
OP here
Seems like I have been wasting a lot of time.
In hindsight, it would be a lot cheaper (amount of steel needed) easier and less time consuming to build the rack featured on the SS website
http://startingstrength.com/site/equipment

At least I learned something today.
>>
>>35308119
Machinists work for me. I tell them what to do. They get paid.

You're welcome.
>>
>>35306118
that's retarded. it should be one piece

>>35306093
enjoy your decapitation machine OP
>>
>>35307113
>I considered this, but assumed bolting the uprights to the platform does the same job.

floor bolts won't keep the frame from flexing
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1136x640
>http://youtu.be/6dy5eyMDt3c

They did the same thing
>>
>>35308268
It is 1 piece m8

At least I wil lift the rest of my life, til the day I die
>>
>>35307318
Oh hey I built this so I could work out at home. Only cost me about $250 total for enough materials for a full cage and a bench
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.