[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Size vs strength training
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: pacquiao.jpg (48 KB, 427x458) Image search: [Google]
pacquiao.jpg
48 KB, 427x458
So, I've been training for about 6 months on SS, and I'm going to switch to something else.
>inb4 Texas Method, I can read the sticky
I want to get into fighting, so I would rather train for strength rather than mass, I don't really want to be big necessarily. What is the difference between training for mass vs strength? I know size training focuses on "hypertrophy" whatever the fuck that is, and everyone here seems to be a bodybuilder so all of the routines I see are for aesthetics/size. What can I do to train for strength? What is the difference?

pic related he's stronger than anyone here
>>
>>35300563
fighting is more about endurance and technique than strength
>>
>>35300563
He's not strong. He's a manlet with decent but not powerlifting tier upper body strength relative to body weight and very little squat or deadlift strength.

He's built to fight and that's it.
>>
You train for strenght doing less reps with higher weight, obviously theres a size-strenght ratio you'd had to follow, because as soon you keep going sooner or later you'd had to gain mass in order to break the strenght plateau
>>
>>35300563
Training for strength normally utilizes compound lifts, where as size usually focuses a lot more on isolation workouts.
I'd say if you're looking to be a fighter, focus on compound lifts, mixed with body weight and interval training.
If you focus only on lifting in relation to fight fitness then you're setting yourself up to fail.
>>
As the previous anon said, low rep and high resistance. The thing that will really make you hit hard is practicing your striking. Hit with the right technique, hit a lot, and hit hard. Gotta develop that muscle memory and fast twitch muscles.
>>
>>35300607
Not just focusing on lifting in relation to fight fitness, I'm going to up my cardio and try to do an hour a day, and I do a little bodyweight, I should probably do more. Thanks for the info about compound lifts, I'll switch up my routine to have more of that and less isolation. Other than close-grip bench, what's a good compound lift that hits the triceps really well? Biceps too, I only work them doing curls.
>>
>>35300563

He's not stronger, he's got perfect punching technique for maximizing what power he has while limiting fatigue.

Paq is probably strong but he's not like... terrifically strong. He's decently strong for a long time, and he gets the maximum strength for the minimum effort with every punch.
>>
>>35300563
Whatever you do is going to be secondary to fight training and conditioning. ideally you train for strength and power (speed). I don't think it honestly matters if you choose powerlifting style over Weightlifting style, but definitely not bodybuilding style. Just do your movements with explosiveness and also focus on prehab and rehab for your weak points and injuries. If you plan to be competitive it's up to you and hopefully your knowledgable trainer to design workouts for you.
>>
>>35300720
I don't plan to be competitive, it's something I want to do as a hobby. I've always wanted to try and I think it would be an excellent way to relieve stress and boost self-confidence, plus meet new people, make new friends, etc. The only other sport I do is skiing and I only get a few months a year to do that.

Plus I think it would be badass to walk into the gym looking fit but not huge, then show up some roider by a wide margin on my lifts
>>
>>35300563
You can't get strong optimally with low reps alone. In fact, I'm willing to bet that your training could consist of 12 rep sets and your one rep maxes would be the same as if you had done 5 rep sets for your training instead. As long as the weights you use for the rep range you use are maximal, they will have the same stimulating effect on your CNS and muscle fibers to adapt to the load.

Always training with only sets of 5 at 82-85% is a mistake.
>>
>he's stronger than anyone here

kek that flip is weak as shit

better cardio than anyone here probably though
>>
>>35300763
Why? Should I be doing heavy/light days? what % range should I be doing?
>>
File: th.jpg (9 KB, 300x213) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
9 KB, 300x213
>>35300563
>So, I've been training for about 6 months on SS
>pic related he's stronger than anyone here
>>
>>35300763

You can bet that, but you'd be wrong. There's a reason even people who do predominately train with higher reps use a low-rep block immediately before testing their max (and, of course it goes both ways - if you never train above five reps, your 20RM is going to blow goats compared to someone who does all their training in the 12-15 range).
>>
>>35300780
he'll beat your ass in a fight nigga

strong probably wasn't the best term to use in hindsight though. he's what I'm going for
>>
>>35300801

Are you literally dumb?

Of course he would beat me in a fight. He's a professional boxer at the highest level. He could probably beat the shit out of anyone on this board in the first round.

He is, however, NOT stronger that several people on this board as you stated. A lot of people are powerlifters and they train purely for strength. They probably warm up with Pacquiaos one rep maxes. Just stop talking shit about things you have no clue about.
>>
If you wanna be strong do squats, deadlifts, bench presses and OHP for three sets of five reps three times a week or something easy like that.
>>
>>35300763
Post sources for that, I've heard and experienced the opposite, training in sets of 10 or 12 only made my 10/12 rep max higher, it did nothing to prepare me for a single max effort lift.
>>
>>35300801
yea but pic related would mop the floor with him no contest.
>>
File: 4b358_ORIG-hypertrophyrippetoe.jpg (84 KB, 898x850) Image search: [Google]
4b358_ORIG-hypertrophyrippetoe.jpg
84 KB, 898x850
>>35300763
Check this out senpai
>>
>>35300874
What's the difference between sarcoplasmic and myofibrilar hypertrophy?
>>
>>35300788
So why not just pick a rep number in the middle like 10s. Wouldnt that be like the goldilocks zone? Not too much strength or endurance and right in the middle of the hypertophy zone.
>>
>>35300874
>implying these kinds of assumptions don't change on a regular basis

Plus, this isn't an actual source, it's just a graph saying something.
>>
>>35300874
Is there a source or this?
And what does it mean by pain tolerance?
>>
>>35300788
This is why I like 10s perfect mix of strength and endurance and perfect hypertrophy which is the most significant contributor to strength judging by this article http://www.strengtheory.com/powerlifters-should-train-more-like-bodybuilders/
>>
>>35300904
>>35300919
>>35300888

Practical Programming by Kilgore and Estep
>>
>>35300904
>Ignorance and cognitive dissonance: the post
>>
>>35300957
the graph doesn't specify any reputable or scholarly origins (or any at all), I might as well draw a graph in ms paint that shows a direct correlation between "running and gainz killing brah"
>>
>>35300976
my bad, just saw the rippertoe & kilgore at the bottom. retracted
>>
>>35300932
Broscience bullshit
>>
>>35300932
i wouldn't build my routine based on what a site called "strengtheory.com" says
>>
>>35300932
Hahahhaha that's funny. Just fucking lift faggot
>>
>>35301020
That article is filled with citations and sources. Its pretty on point. What is wrong with it?
>>
>>35300573
This
>>
>>35300563
strength comes easier when you're gaining size. still possible to gain strength without gaining weight though. ex. every olympic lifter
>>
>>35301280
Olympic lifters aren't 'stronger' than any other strength athletes, they just use drugs to be lean in sub-heavyweight classes because overall mass isn't as helpful in explosive movements
They are as muscular as they can be at their optimum weight
>>
>>35301020

You might not like the name, but strengtheory is run by a fairly well respected guy - world records in powerlifting, degree in exercise science, trained with and under some big names.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.