[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How far can i go with calisthenics alone? I also have 5kg dumbbells,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: 1314742467504.jpg (185 KB, 902x600) Image search: [Google]
1314742467504.jpg
185 KB, 902x600
How far can i go with calisthenics alone?
I also have 5kg dumbbells, is gym even necessary?
>>
pretty far, but nowhere that lifting won't get you in 1/3 of the time.
>>
Calisthenics will make you much more in tune with your body than weight lifting, but you're going to be weak as shit compared to a bodybuilder and have way less mass on you.
>>
unanswerable question. we have no idea what you want out of training because you haven't told us.
>>
You will have improved balance and endurance.

You will have lesser mass and weight caps.

Calisthenics/plyometrics/cardio: warrior workout.

Lifting: bodybuilder workout.

Decide if you want fitness or aesthetics more.

If your aesthetics aren't related to massively overgrown tumor muscles, you're perfectly set.
>>
File: tumblr_m6jqjvAakI1qeaj38o4_1280.jpg (156 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6jqjvAakI1qeaj38o4_1280.jpg
156 KB, 1024x576
>>35298001
>>35297999
I want bear mode, currently skinny fat.
>>
File: 1449987348671.jpg (16 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1449987348671.jpg
16 KB, 256x256
>>35298062

>calisthenics
>i want bear mode

>>
>>35297951
>much more in tune with your body
anon, pls
>>
>>35298062
you need steroids for that
>>
>>35298062
lol you have no chance lad
>>
>>35298062
If you want bearmode, do lifting and forget calisthenics/cardio.
>>
>>35298081
How is bench press different from pushups for the body?
How can you hit your biceps harder than lifting yourself by doing pullups?
>>
>>35298144

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_hypertrophy
>>
Calisthenics
>cool tricks
>great for martial arts, gymnastics, climbing, footwork sports
>spatial awareness and coordination
>better upper body aesthetics (subjective, but I find dips and pushup variations superior to most weighted exercises for this and much easier on the joints
>leg endurance
>more functional output for body torsion core movements (a punch or kick)

Weightlifting
>general strength for moving objects around you
>better leg aesthetics
>better leg power
>better high end loading for core strength
>fine tuning aesthetics

Ideally your routine incorporates both.
>>
>>35298144
if you are fat shit/weak enough that you can manage only a few push ups, there's not a lot of difference. the difference is that progressiong with bench presses is as easy as putting more weight on a bar whereas progressing with push ups is awkward.
>>
>>35298144
I can almost do a one arm chin up and do no accessory work for biceps. Even with this much strength bicep hypertrophy is very limited compared to people I know using weights.

They do work one muscle right beside your tricep next to your upper elbow if you do hammer grip (the brachialis as opposed to just the biceps brachii heads)

Chins really aren't good for bicep hypertrophy unless you're hitting something like 2x20 (I was at 35-40 per workout before I saw even a small amount) or multiple one arm chins a workout. I agree.
>>
>>35298223
I don't think pushups is awkward for weak build body type.
When i started out i could only do 4, now i can do 25.

Told myself that if i get to 100 and still look like a scarecrow , i'll join a gym.
>>
>>35298275
pointless. what a waste of time that must have been.

after about 15 reps of an exercise, you aren't challenging your muscles in such a way that they will respond by growing. if you think 100 push ups is going to make your pecs look any more than a tiny bit different, you are mistaken and need to either start weighting your push ups or join a gym and bench press.
>>
>>35298310
>pointless

For mass, maybe.

Endurance is another story.
>>
>>35298321
>25 reps
the word endurance doesn't quite cut it. my mum can do more push ups than that,
>>
>>35298062
>I want bear mode
You do realize what bear mode is right? Bear mode is being fat but also having a lot of muscle like a lot of the power lifters you see.
>>
>>35298408
Guy in the pic is lean enough to have his abs visible.
Huge traps, delts and triceps are the leading cause for bear mode.
>>
>>35297898
As someone who did bodyweight stuff for several months and just recently picked up a barbell. I would say do the barbell weighted stuff. I got decently strong with bodyweight, but you are limiting yourself.

However I would still do some bodyweight exercises along with lifting weights.
>>
>>35298144
Pushup is to bench press as a pullup is to lat pulldown

Only thing is it's easier to progress with benchpress than pushup.

Do both, but focus on bench.
>>
>>35298321
The guy says he wants bear mode, you dingus. He isn't taking about endurance. He wants to build mass. Weights are objectively better for the purpose OP stated.
>>
File: klokov-5.jpg (2 MB, 4368x2912) Image search: [Google]
klokov-5.jpg
2 MB, 4368x2912
>>35297898
If you want strength and size do weights.
Body weight exercises quickly plateau and are incredibly hard to add progressive overload.
>>
If ur a babe with good genes then yeah just do fagesthetics and cardio. If you wanna be an alpha food then you better start lifting
>>
>>35298214
You have no idea what you are talking about. By your post fighters and soccer players should do calistenics instead of lifting weights
>>
>>35299659
He mentiones that you should do both. Read the post.
>>
Lifting weight is basically idiot proof because you just need a routine and then incrementally add weight.

Calisthenics is not that easy because you can't add weight. You have to change exercises a lot so it stays difficult.

Many people try calisthenics but keep doing the same exercises (like a lifting routine). This will not give you good results.
>>
>>35298321
>Endurance is another story.
why do you want to do cardio with your ethiopian pecs? you can just go run instead.
>>
>>35297898
you can go pretty far, but progression is alot harder and it takes alot longer. also calisthenics tend to focus on shoulders and upper back
>>
>>35297898
all the way but you wont get a bulky chest
>>
>>35297898
there are fewer people that can do a successful full planche than can lift Olympic level weights
>>
>>35300656
any athlete can do it on the those special athlete bars

just on the floor only those that have the lower part of their body atrophied or amputated, because center mass
>>
>>35299659
Running is calisthenics?

Obviously, weights can aid in that too.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.