[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Last thread did well so ask a personal trainer anything fitness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 8
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 281x180) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 281x180
Will answer for about an hour or until 404's. Send me your questions, simple or not, and I'll try my best to help.
>>
Why are most PTs retarded?
>>
Have you ever sucked a clients dick?
>>
>>35289236
What sort of progress will I make if I do 5x5 compunds with 3x10 accessories?
>>
>>35289263 ...you know this isn't fitness related but I'll answer it. Because I have a bone to pick with a lot of PT's. One of the reason I became a PT was because I was tired of seeing the local PT's in the area being piece's of shit. They look like they've never lifted a weight in their lives and most of them are skinny fat and I watch them give their clients retarded exercises and it just really fucking pisses me off. Most PT's aren't even bro's that decided to do it because they love it, (like me), it seems like most of them are just fags who want to cash in on the good paycheck being a trainer can bring. I hate them and go out of my way to tell clients when I think another PT is full of shit.
>>
>>35289236
Best hypertrophy upper/lower routine for intermediate?
>>
i can do 7pl8 5x3 full reps on the plate loaded squat press and would like to transition over to freeform squats, but i'm scared shitless of hurting my knees or back as i have a history of issues there (issues that drove me to using machines instead of free weights in the first place)

what is a good starting place / routine / gear / how do i not kill myself
>>
>>35289282 Google "Powerbuilding", that's essentially what that style of programming is and read up on it. I love it and have used it for most of my bulk. I've seen both gains in strength and size.
>>
>>35289317 As a natural lifter a lot of your size/strength will be correlated. I personally think PHAT is an awesome program that might fit your needs.

Or something like this:
Upper - A
DB Press
Pullups
DB Rows
DB shoulder press
Side Raise
BB Curls
Dips

Lower - A
Front squats
Stiff leg deadlifts
BB Lunge
hamstring curls

Upper - B
DB Incline press
Bent over row
Pulldowns (wide grip)
BB shoulder press
Upright rows
Incline DB curl
DB hammer curl
CG Bench press

Lower - B
Deadlift
Front Squats
GB lunge
Hamstring curls

Upper - C
DB Flye
DB pullover
Seated row
Pulldown (close grip)
Rear delt raise
Preacher curls
O/H extensions
Lying extensions

>>35289326 If you are seeing gains on machines and worry about your injuries that much, you don't HAVE to switch if your goal is bodybuilding. However squats are on the best exercises for a variety of reasons, that's not a meme. For you it's going to be form, form, form. Don't go in heavy, start low and work on your form, if you have good form your knees and back should be in the clear. Google youtube videos for form, ask gym bros to check your form. Immediately quit if your knees or back start to hurt. If your a richfag a physical therapist who has a reputation with lifters may be able to help.
>>
>>35289236
Could you answer this please >>35289317
>>
>>35289391
You answered already. I'm retarded. Thanks bro
>>
>>35289398 Just did the post above yours.
>>
>>35289344
<3 u bb
>>
>>35289391
What do you think of Jonnie Candito's linear strength/hypertrophy routine?
>>
is the CSCS still the gold standard for certs?
>>
>>35289236
Do you flirt with your clients?
Also, any cool stories you want to share?
How do I spot a bad PT?
>>
>>35289414 y-you too

>>35289420 Never heard of it so had to google it. It looks similar to PHAT, 4 days, power, hypertrophy. I think true novices would struggle with this and would advise something simpler. I prefer undulating periodizations too, as studies seem to suggest these are more effective for building strength.

>>35289442 Yes, most people consider CSCS to be just that. It's a very difficult program and they get a lot of respect. Many of the advanced CSCS's train athletes.
>>
Is it possible for someone with ~18%bf to build muscle past noob gains while on a caloric deficit?
>>
>>35289314
Ok I get it. But what is about the education for PT?
>>
How much do you make in a month?
>>
>>35289475 There's def some cuties in my gym but I keep it professional at work. A funny story I have is I told one client who was struggling with weight loss. "If it comes out a box, don't eat it". The client didn't lose weight as planned the next week so I began to grill him. He admitted to eating several bags of chips because "they didn't come in a box". I was laughing too hard to be exasperated. The best way to spot a bad PT is a lot of the bad ones are scared of the weight section and avoid it, they'll have their skinny clients do tons of cardio when they should be lifting weights. I know another trainer who is a genius and doesn't look like he lifts so you can't always judge by appearances. Another way is to ask them simple diet questions. If they seem to be dodgy about them, avoid them, because 90% of it is going to be diet, regardless of your goals.
>>
Recovering anorexic here. How can I get into strength training (bodyweight/calisthenics) without risking injury to tendons and such? Any good programs to recommend to frail sticks?
>>
>>35289236
Which gym do you work for? How many sessions you train a month?

Currently a PT for 24.

You seem like a bro.

I relate a lot to >>35289314.

Most of the trainers here are
DYEL. I've had their clients approach me wanting to be trained by me
Instead and the other PTs get so pissed.

Well maybe if you didn't do a 1 hour cert you'd be i better condition to keep
Your clientele.
>>
>>35289557
>He admitted to eating several bags of chips because "they didn't come in a box"

Almost chocked keked hard
>>
>>35289501 Yes, you can build some muscle while on a caloric deficit. You won't get huge but with a bf% that high you can recomp. I've seen it in clients and I've seen it in myself. However at some point you will need a caloric surplus to build muscle. Where the cut off line is, no one knows.

>>35289511 Depends on the cert. Some have little prereqs beyond a high school diploma and a CPR/AED certification obtained in a live class. Others like the CSCS are a lot more complicated. Prereq's here: http://www.nsca.com/Certification/CSCS/

>>35289554 Depends on clientele. Most of them come and go for various reasons. I can make anywhere from 2.4k to 5k a month. Honestly it has nothing to do with fitness and everything to do with marketing and sales.
>>
>>35289391
thanks man
>>
>>35289564 First off, as I'm sure you've been told, diet will be of the utmost importance. Eat, eat, eat. Start small with bodyweight push ups, pull ups, dips, squats, use the isolation machines, they are safe and easy on the joints. After you feel you've gained some strength google a novice strength program and start making some mad gains.

>>35289567 ha ha, I'm a PT for 24 too. I train 6 times a week. I hear you dude, we are like the same person.
>>
>>35289718
Thanks bro
>>
>>35289236
How often do you fuck clients?
What do you enjoy more — the work, or having high status in the gym, and being able to gainfully flirt with attractive girls?
>>
>>35289718
What other pshysical activities do you recommend other that going to the gym? (crossfit, martial arts, yoga, etc.)
>>
File: Costanza Belittles.jpg (16 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
Costanza Belittles.jpg
16 KB, 375x375
>>35289791
>Crossfit
>>
>>35289788 I keep it professional at work. I like my job too much to risk it over some dumb, over emotional woman.

>>35289791 I enjoy swimming and basketball, I also do yoga whenever possible, I also train jujitsu at least 2-4 times a week. I feel martial arts is best, you are learning humility, discipline, getting a great exercise, and learning self defense in one. Jujitsu in particular, has made me very patient.
>>
>>35289843
> professional
Well, I guess it depends on the country. Where I live, all PTs flirt with girls, touch them, etc. It's a major bonus I guess.
>>
>>35289843
Most retarded things you hear at the job?
>>
Do foam rollers actually help? Any other accessories that help recovery? What are the best stretches, how long should I do them and how many times a day? What is the best BW routine someone could do? What is best, training for pure strength or training for hypertrophy?
>>
>>35289876 A bonus until you lose your job. The number 2 cause of law suits against personal trainers is sexual misconduct.

>>35289884 I've heard some dumb things, nothing comes to mind right now, but I see more often. Just people making up exercises or doing them so incorrectly or dangerously I have to intervene on good conscience.
>>
>>35289236
How many times in the past year have you heard someone say they want to get "toned"?
>>
>>35289932
>The number 2 cause of law suits against personal trainers is sexual misconduct.
I already said it's probably a country-specific thing.
>>
File: 1416328157533.jpg (65 KB, 505x720) Image search: [Google]
1416328157533.jpg
65 KB, 505x720
>>35289236
Please help me mate

How do I squat without feeling only my quads and my hip flexors burning.

I cant manage to activate glutes and hamstrings properly.

When I squat it doesnt feel right at all,its like forcing my body to do something that only hurts me.

I just wanna squat with proper form but O fucking cant and its so frustrating.

High bar btw,low bar doesnt feel right either because I cant manage to go low enough.
>>
>>35289932
>The number 2 cause of law suits against personal trainers is sexual misconduct.
What's number 1?
>>
>>35289918 They help me relax that's for sure. I roll about twice a week and on several occasions my entire spine has cracked. It's basically self massage. I've also used ice baths for recovery while training insane for jujitsu competitions. Proper nutrition and sleep goes a long way. Fish oil and glucosamine for joints. Beyond that only drugs will make you recover faster. I do yoga for lower back, shoulders, and hips. I think the best stretches are those that target those areas. Most people don't realize it but they have weak, inflexible hips from sitting long periods of time. How long and how often depends on your goals. If you want to be a contortionist or yogi, every day. I stretch about 3 times a week personally, not counting the small stretching I do at jujitsu. Best body weight routine, I might catch flack for this but check out /r/bodyweightfitness at reddit, they have some good ones there. What is best depends on your goals.
>>
File: urfucked.jpg (23 KB, 467x330) Image search: [Google]
urfucked.jpg
23 KB, 467x330
>>35289236
Should I help people doing squats in the gym incorrectly or let them be baptized by fire? This tall black guy came in today and nearly killed himself, he was very strong but didn't really practice form and was doing like half squats at 340lb or something ridiculous for a newby. His partner and myself stepped in on 2 sets because we saw him buckling and losing balance. He wouldn't drop the bar behind him either for some reason.
>>
>>35289557
I had a female friend that told me that her personal trainer told her that fat gets "hard" and thats how we build muscle.

Another time my coworker told me that his gym buddy told him that fat people have it easier in the gym because they dont need vitamins.

Clueless.
>>
>>35289938 A lot. An awful lot. I usually explain to them that being "toned" means having definition, which translates to having some muscle and low bf.

>>35289958 I guess so, I live in America, where feminism owns courts so I play it cool at work.

>>35289978 Going lower in a squat will activate more of your posterior muscle groups. However it sounds like your hips may be weak/inflexible. I actually encounter this a lot. I would suggest stretching them a lot with various stretches and doing more barbell lunges, glute bridges, and hamstring curls to address any muscle imbalances/inflexibility. However without being able to see your form close up, I can't help you with form issues. Most of all these things stem from form and lack of flexibility/weak muscle groups. If you can't go low you need to deload and start working on the things I mentioned above. This is my best guess from the information you've given me. Best of luck.
>>
wtf is with these insane rest times between sets? niggas be walking around for 3,4,5 minutes between a set of 8 reps, using timers and shit and basically wasting the equipment.

what happened to catching your breath maybe shaking it out and doing your sets in a timely fashion? This shit s annoying, some dumbo taking 15 minutes to do 5x8
>>
>>35290120
>>35290120
What machines? Are they lifting heavy? If so that's why, because they physically can;t recover fast enough to move on to their next set. I don't like being that guy though so I alternate between legs and upper body to stay out of peoples' way.
>>
>>35290006 That's really up to you man. I feel compelled to because I'm a trainer and I can't stand to see people hurt themselves so even if it bothers them I say something.

>>35290026 See, those are the kind of trainers I would drop a barbell on their neck. They must get some two bit cert because a real cert requires you educate yourself further than that.

>>35290120 Ha ha I understand you want to use the equipment, ask to work in because in a lot of advanced strength programs where they are lifting 90% of their 1RM very often the rest times of 5 minutes are often suggested, and needed. If this is not the case, then sounds like you got some lazy bums at your gym.
>>
>>35289564
not personal trainer, but swimming would do wonders for you. it can be extremely challenging, extremely joint friendly and well, you get to be in a pool. I understand yoy might not want to have other looking at you and talking shit, but hey... life is about you, not others
>>
>>35290120

Random guy here.

ACSM (American college of sports medicine) recommends 3-5 mins rest between sets for strength training.

Not that that means too much. They only have a little research to go off of.

They put out a position statement on all things lifting a little while back. I found it on Medscape. Actually makes sense and isn't retarded.
>>
What basic exercises should I do to get abs? My diet is on point, but I really haven't worked abs ever, so I don't have a very good base. I'm currently at 6'5" 11% body fat, but I have a lot of water retention due to creatine and MK-677
>>
File: MUTE_20151218_020632.webm (2 MB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
MUTE_20151218_020632.webm
2 MB, 720x1280
>>35290075
Thanks man.If you could check my form and give me some more tips.

Webm is my shitty form.

I would appreciate any help,I also felt pain in my right knee,first time this happens wtf
>>
2 plate is my 5 rep max. I used to be able to unrack it and bench it without any problems. Now I'm getting elbow pain when I unrack it and I'm now doing less reps. What should I do to fix it?
>>
>>35290199
>>35290157
>>35290138

no they are not lifting heavy, they're curlbros and gym randos and it is annoying . sounds like theres a little truth to it but it got turned into broscience somewhere thanks for the help
>>
>>35290177
Thanks bro. I'll check it out.
>>
>>35290233
not him, but also a pt, looks like you're extending your lower back before you start the movement.
at the top, before you even start going down squeeze your glutes load the weights onto your hams and glutes as you go down.
can you see how your pelvis is tilted foward? like the other guy said, when you have tight anterior hips they will pull on the top front of your pelvis and tilt it, that could be whats happening
>>
do you have a niche (ex fatties, athletes etc)? regardless if you dont or not, do you think there is any importance of being 'that guy' for a certain need?
>>
>>35290177 While I agree that swimming is amazing and easy on the joints, I think as a recovering anorexic the extra cardio could possibly hinder him gaining weight. Assuming he can eat enough, then by all means full speed ahead.

>>35290212 Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. Assuming your diet is on point you will get abs. Treat them like any other muscle group, hit them 2-3 times a week after your workout, fatigue them and recover. My favorite ab exercises are dragon flags, hanging leg raises, ab wheel, crunches, kneeling resistance crunches, also don't forget your serratus too. I do resistance twists and hanging twists for these.

>>35290233 It's tough to tell from here man. Your form looks mostly great from this side view. Dropping back on your heels and tightening your core is probably the two points I give most. I can't diagnose your knee either, sorry my man. Does your knee hurt every time? Might want to see a doc.

>>35290242 If this came out the blue then sounds like a joint stress issue. Let it heal fully, tendons and ligaments can take a while and watch your form. That's all I can say from here, I can't address injuries too much as I'm not a qualified doctor.
>>
how long did it take to get a large enough client base for a comfortable living?
>>
>>35290340
>I think as a recovering anorexic the extra cardio could possibly hinder him gaining weight
How can I calculate my calorie needs to fit swimming? How much calories does swimming burn? I'm still paranoid about bulking :/
>>
>>35290315 Good eye sniper. I didn't notice his hip tightness initially.

>>35290332 A lot of specified trainers have niches and do well. I have clients with varying goals. My speciality is probably conditioning. I'm skilled at dropping weight and keeping strength and stamina high from training for jujitsu comps.
>>
I'm having a rough time doing pushups. I've been told that you should work your arms first, so I curl dumbbells, but even if I wait 10-20 minutes I don't recover enough to do more than 15-20 pushups. I curl 3x10 and am up to 30 lbs.

Should I do my pushups first, or do them on a separate day?
>>
>>35290363 It depends on your marketing, sales, when you start etc. I started New Years a couple years ago so I got lucky in the regard.

>>35290378 Use an app like myfitnesspal, mynetdiary, use a bulking calculator online to calculate needs and your total daily energy expenditure, (TDEE). Eat at a 500 calorie surplus to your TDEE, adjusting for cardio, how many calories you burn in swimming depends on intensity, duration, etc. From a quick google it seems that on average a 130-pound person swimming freestyle for one hour will burn 590 calories swimming fast, and 413 calories swimming slower. Do a little math and googling and you will figure it out.
>>
>>35290379
Cheers brother. my question to you, any good books you'd recommend? mainly trying to do body transformations but thats basic as fuck, reading "how to become a supple leopard" at the moment, reaaaaal good.
>>
>>35289983
Rape
>>
>>35290340
Is alright to bench light for now or should I lay off for a while?
>>
>>35290340
When you say abs are made in the kitchen, doesn't that mean that you just have to eat right to maintain a low body fat? I alright have a low body fat, is there something else I should be doing "in the kitchen"?
>>
>>35290315
Alright thanks for the explanation man,I will start stretching every day.
>>35290340
First time I feel this sharp pain in the knee.

I just tried to squat again,seems like it happens at the bottom of the squat after a few reps but shit,the bar isnt even loaded

Fuck,its like the universe doesnt want me to squat or do legs,I will end giving up and become a curl bro,shit.
>>
>>35290423 Always do exercises that use more muscle groups first, you don't want to pre fatigue a muscle group you need for a compound movement. I would definitely do pushups first. Do you do tricep extensions with the dumbbell? Strengthening your tris will make push ups easier. If this is all you have access to I would do them both on the same day, as often as possible.
>>
>>35290452
Deadlifts and squats with 4 galons of milk
>>
>>35290424
>>
>>35290433 I mostly read online. My favorite source right now is www.strengththeory.com

>>35290441 Well like I said, I'm not qualified to diagnose your injuries across the net but if you bench light and it doesn't cause any discomfort or pain, then I'd say yes, go for it.

>>35290452 Yes, you can maintain a low bodyfat from diet alone. Many people underestimate their bf so yours may not be as low as you believe. Everyone has abs, you just have to be low enough bf to see them. If your not lean enough add more cardio to get at a deficit. If your abs are that weak they are barely visible start working them more with the exercises I mentioned in my last post.

>>35290455 Don't give up yet. Let it heal. If it's a chronic thing you need to see a doctor. If it isn't it will heal, start low and slow, and make sure you get form checks often, preferably in person from someone who knows what they are doing.
>>
>>35290461
So I was doing it backwards, thanks.

Yeah, I do triceps too. And the dumbbells are the only weights I have, though they're adjustable from 5-50 lbs.
>>
How should I grip the bar during squats so that it doesn't demolish my wrists/elbows? On heavier weights it's the pain in my wrists that's my limiting factor.
>>
>>35290509
I dont think its chronic,first time I feel it,probably fucked up in some way.I will give it some time.

Atleast im going to start stretching for them hip flexors gains.

Thanks for everything man,best thread i've seen here for a while.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>35289718
Lol pic related

My usual schedule.

I do about 70-80 sessions a month. Not bad for a part time college kid. I love the way we can make our schedules.
>>
>>35290574 No problem man. I had similar issues with my hips from anterior pelvic tilt so I'm also on a hip stretching, glute and ham strengthening program. It helps everything, squats, deads, living. Thanks for the compliment too, that was my aim here, I see so much misinformation or broscience and a lot of noob questions so I'm just trying to clear that up and help out. Since the threads have been so well received both times I might make it a weekly thing.
>>
>>35290587
How much money do you make?
>>
>>35290587 heh I recognize that program. I'm glad your enjoying it too man, I wouldn't be doing nothing else, I love it.
>>
>>35290608
Around 25-30 an hour.

I've made up to 67 an hour. If I getting s f get a bunch of resigns in a particular month.

It's rare though so I average 25 an hour.
>>
Hey PT. How can I train to prepare myself for climbing next summer? Plan to climb every day, and need to not be sore during the season.
>>
I've been squatting 3 plate for 5-7 reps for 2 sets for almost a year. I want to move up but I feel like I've forgotten how/scared to. Any advice?
>>
>>35290608 It depends on how many clients I have at the moment, at my lowest 2k a month, at my highest 5k a month. I never bothered checking the average between them.
>>
>>35290587
>Bernardo Costa

Not so subtle there
>>
>>35290637 Best way to prepare for an activity is practice that activity. You can supplement that with either a general health/fitness program like a push/pull/legs or have specific exercises to help you climb like pull ups, grip training, crimping exercises. You may be sore initially from starting a program but if you eat properly and rest properly you will get used to volume and you won't get sore anymore unless you go really hard.

>>35290646 Linear progression? Add 2.5lbs to each side? Then squat that for a week, trying to add as much volume as possible, then move up again. At high levels it gets tougher to move up, and of course, always check to make sure you are eating enough. What have you tried?
>>
>>35290624
>>35290650
Fuck thats nice
>>
File: pepe.jpg (85 KB, 800x788) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
85 KB, 800x788
>>35289391
what's PHAT?
>>
>>35290701
It's a program designed by layne norton.

It puts powerlifting and hypertrophy training together.

It consists of an upper body day and lower body day followed by a day of rest and then 3 days of hypertrophy.
>>
>>35290766

OP here on mobile, you may have to always start weighing on these threads in the future bud
>>
>>35290827
Yeah for sure I'm always glad to help.

I was reading some of
Your answers and I'm genuinely impressed by how you answer them. I'd answer them the same way too.

It's kind of weird feels like I'm talking to my twin.
>>
>>35290572
Do you do low bar or high bar?

Usually that's a problem for people with high bar.

Many times this issue isn't wrist flexibility so much as it is chest flexibility.

If you have a tight chest it'll make it hard to bring your hands back into proper position.
>>
>>35290931
you know imgur is part of reddit familia
>>
>>35289983
probably injury
>>
I just got back from a low back injury, not too bad mostly back muscle tightness.

Can I come back and do SS or should I go with another routine?
>>
Hey, I'm a lifting noob. What DB routine do you recommend me ? I only can work out at home, but I have plenty of weights so I can progress. Also, what do you think about this routine? I got it from BB dot com, I am doing it since a month. Thank you.

Workout A
Split Squat 3x8 (each leg)
Bench 3x8 (If you don’t have a bench do floor press)
DB Rows 3x8 (One arm on bench, back parallel to floor)
Reverse Flies 3x10
Calf raises 2x15/French Press 2x10 Superset

Workout B
Walking Lunge 3x8 (each leg)
Overhead Press 3x8
Romanian Deadlift or Straight Leg Deadlift 3x8
Lat Pulldowns or Pull/Chin ups
Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset
>>
I'm returning to my father's home in two weeks for a month and he has a pool. How much can I swim without fucking up my newbie gains? skinnyfat here.
>>
>>35291407
Shit, I'm retarded.

>>35289843
>>
Just started GVT 3 weeks ago, seems to be working in some lifts for strength some seem to be harder to increase. Been at nice caloric surplus, high protein high fat carbs about equal to protein diet.

Question: anyone done GVT? howd you find it worked?
>>
>>35289236
I weigh little to nothing. (5'7 - hungry skeleton build weighing in around 115 lbs)
What are calorie dense foods / meals that will help me put on weight?
When it comes to protein / whey - what is the best brand to go after?
Cardio? Nay or yay
>>
>>35291342
That doesn't look bad but you can also divide it by push and pull movements.

Work out a (push)
DB split squat
DB floor press
goblet squat
DB OHP
DB lunges
DB tricep extensions
DB lateral raises

Pull:
DB SLDL
DB Rows
DB Deadlifts
Pull ups/chin ups
Reverse flies
Biceps curls.

What you have isn't bad but push and pull makes it easier to organize and also elicits more volume per muscle group while still doing a good job of getting almost your total body.
>>
>>35291407
bump
>>
File: Squat.png (6 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
Squat.png
6 KB, 1152x648
I am having trouble with my lowbar squat. I seem to be pushing with the balls of my feet. Not sure exactly where i am going wrong.

I did up a shitty mspaint of what i look like at the bottom(A). Should it be more like (B)?
>>
>>35291458
I use gvt in lagging body parts.

It works but some of your muscles won't respond to volume the same way. Genetically we all can have different concentrations of certain muscle fiber types.

The muscles that aren't responding most likely have a higher concentration of fast twitch muscle fibers instead of slow twitch muscle fibers that are able to sustain work longer.
>>
>>35291545
Definitely more of B

The trick is for the bar to stay over mid foot.

If your weight is shifting to the balls of your feet your body lacks the flexibility or motor recruitment to keep the bar over the balls of your feet.

The most common problem is how you start the lift. If you start the lift by driving your butt back to far you run out of ROM in your hips and your knees can't compensate.

Here's a few things that you can try:
Calf stretches - thoroughly stretch your calves for at least 30 seconds each.

It will enable greater ankle ROM and compensate for the forward lean.

Queuing your body different- start the movement with your knees coming forward first then bring your hips back.

Overhead squats and back extensions-
Strengthen your spinal electors, and do overhead squats to help recruit those muscles responsible for thoracic extensions.

Conceptually, we're trying to just shift your weight backwards toward your heels.
>>
>>35291607
To keep the bar over your midfoot*
>>
>>35291485
Thank you
>>
>>35291620
Glad to help.
>>
>>35291607
I have noticed in the past that i am quite inflexible around my ankles, I had one PT flat out say that they are fucked. I imagine it can be fixed just not really sure how to go about it.

When you say moving your knees forward, thats where i should be "unlocking" first?
>>
>>35291632
Yeah exactly. Brace at the knees first then sit back into your heels and hips once your knees get to Your toes.

That way after you shift your weight back you keep your torso upright enough for the bar to stay on top of your mid foot.
>>
>>35291485
>>35291620
>>35291628
Hey and if I get a Z bar (some dude is selling me some weights and comes with a Z bar and ... more DB) what should I do? Based on that routine, what should I be doing with the bar and what with DB? Or should I just stick to DBs?
>>
>>35291653
Thanks man. That will be something to look at when i am squatting next. Helps to get some cues to use.
>>
>>35291686
Yeah absolutely. Look up candito how to squat perfectly or powerlifting to win

Starting strength is good to but it's really about finding the right queue that helps you the most.
>>35291667
Z bar? Ez bar? The one that's shaped with a curved grip to be better for your wrists?

You can do both. I love Ez curl bars for bicep curls and skill crushers. You can do arms with that.

You can use it as a makeshift barbell for squats I suppose but it really depends if you can hold it properly lol.

You're probably better off using DBs for most of your routine. Look at the Push/pull one I wrote out its not a bad one.

Probably could be better since I designed it off the top of my head.

But at the very least allows you to understand the concept of a proper program.

1- periodization (progressive overload, etc)
2- proper balance between muscles
3- compound movements.

Those are the 3 biggest rules I follow.
>>
>>35291740
Thank you again. Yeah, I meant that bar haha. I'm screencaping your posts lol.
>>
I assume improving my flexibility will help with achieving the correct form? Have you got any experience with using lacrosse balls or foam rollers?
>>
When I switched from my campus gym to a commercial gym (LA fitness), I had a free fitness assessment. Sat down with a trainer, discussed goals, did a workout, etc. At the time I was doing fully body three days a week (a tweaked version of Ice Cream Fitness/ICF). He said full body workouts are bad routines because any muscle gains made on one day are destroyed by working out the same muscles so frequently. His advice was to group chest/tris, back/bis, and legs/shoulders, thereby hitting every group just once per week (basically a PxPxLxx/PxPxLxx) and allowing a full week's recovery for each group. Am I right to think that's an unnecessarily long cooldown period and that I would progress so slowly on such a routine?

fwiw, my current routine is Chest/Back M and Th and Legs/Shoulders T and F. I've tweaked PHUL (Power Hypertrophy Upper Lower) to better suit me, and I'm liking it so far. I hit everything twice a week, and I still get the heavy compound lifts in there. Making good progress on it too, I feel.
>>
>>35291778
Lol cool do whatever you need to bro.

>>35291780
Yes I personally use both.

Foam roll my legs calves back and the bigger muscles.

I go in with a lacrosse ball after to get the tiny muscles around my scapula and any knots I might have.

So in short use the hell out of both. 10 mins before a session roll out any muscle that's tight. Do some dynamic stretches through any specific movements you'll be making. Feel free to add bands to prime muscle tension and wake up your CNS.
>>
>>35291473
Bumping
>>
>>35291740
And nutrition wise, if I'm skinny fat @1.80m 69kg do you recommend me to keep cutting or bulk first and then cut? I'm not that muscular but would be nice to lose the fat at least once on my life haha (I was overweight at some point but I've lost weight). My original plan was to cut some months and then decide.
>>
>>35291813
Honestly the trainer you spoke to doesn't sound like he knows what he's doing.

Full body is good for beginners because it takes less volume to elicit muscle growth and CNS adaptation.

Noob gains are majority CNS adaptation; your CNS learning to use your muscles better.

The thing with splits is that they allow more volume dedicated to particular body parts. This becomes necessary when you become more advanced and you're actually gaining hypertrophy in your muscles instead of CNS adaptation.

The program you're currently running will yield gains. Just stick to that. Focus on your diet and hitting macros because that's going to be 70% of your gains.
>>
>>35291825
Does it matter what sort of foam roller? I have used a rumble roller before which seemed to work great but they seem to be a little bit overpriced here.
>>
>>35291877
That's what I was thinking too. I didn't bring any of it up though because he's a nice enough guy and I didn't want to sour anyone within a week of stepping into a new gym.

Thanks for the input, bro!
>>
>>35291852
This can be a debated subject. It really depends on who you speak to.

I'm going to go with my personal experience.

I cut first to around 13-14% body fat and then began bulking for a long time.

I however have relatively good genetics and never had a problem losing fat when supplementing with cardio and clean eating.

My recommendation to you is to get to a body fat percentage low enough to see a little bit of your abs. This will put you at around 13%-15% body fat.

From there you can go on a clean bulk and eat at a 250 kcal surplus. Aim for a gain of .5 lb a week.

Keep protein at 1.8g per kg b/w and simply manipulate your carb intake. Since a large chunk of your calories are from carbs, those are the easiest to subtract from.

New studies show low carb is superior to low fat in terms of weightless and LDL decreasing.
>>
What supplement should I use for cutting and staying lean? I'm thinking about getting Athlean-X.

Also, should i go high reps and low weight?
Here's my current upper body workout:
>Start stretching for 15-20 mins
>Run 1 mile on treadmill
>Row Machine for 10 minutes
>Dropsetting Standing Curls 3 sets, drop 5lbs each set through 15 reps i.e.:
30lbs > 25 lbs > 20 lbs = 1 set
>Sitting Curls, 3 sets of 12 medium weight
>Shoulder Barbell Press, 15 reps 3 sets
>Lawnmowers, 3 sets/each arm of 10 amigos
>SWITCH back to those mother fucking shoulder barbell press and pound out 3 more sets of 15 reps
>Your shoulders finna be one fire rn
>Hit the lawn mowers again, just one rep of as much as possible until exhaustion
Take a break, let your body recoup, get ready for the fucking killer:
>Forearm extension 1 rep - 15 sets
>Chest on vertical bench, hit 3 sets of chest flys - 12 reps
>Forearm extension 1 rep - 15 sets
>Chest press - 15 reps
>forearm extension 1 rep - until exhaustion
>chest flys with chest on vertical bench
>back pulldown 12 reps
>lat pull down 12 reps
>back pulldown 10 reps
>lat pull down 10 reps
>back pulldown until exhaustion
>lat pull down until exhaustion

Finish with the killer ab workout:
30 second planks, 3 sets
In one motion:
30 second bicycle kicks > 10 leg crunches > 10 leg raises
Repeat x3
After that, finish the ab killer with:
2 sets of 60 second planks, 2 sets of 20 heel crunches, and 2 reps of 60 second supermans

Legs in reply
>>
>>35291922
Thanks bro, you've helped me a lot.
>>
>>35291930
legs:
>1 mile run
>free squats (no weight) 3 sets - 30 reps
>progress to barbell squats
>5 sets of barbell squats:
1st: no weight, just bar: until warmed up
2nd: 25lbs - 25 reps
3rd: 30lbs - 20 reps
4th 35lbs - 15 reps
5th 35lbs - until exhaustion

>RUSSIAN DEADLIFT
4 sets, 16 reps each

>DEADLIFT
3 sets - 15 reps // medium weight

>LEG PRESS
4 sets - 20 reps // medium-high weight (i do max weight of 350lbs, but OP will have to build up to this obviously) increase weight by 30 lbs each set and decrease reps by 2 each set

>CALF PRESS
3 sets - 30 reps // medium-high reps

>ISOLATED/ALTERNATE CALF PRESS
2 sets - 12 reps // low-medium weight

I can't think of the damn name, but put your leg on the bench BEHIND you and squat with 15lbs or as much as you can..

>LEG EXTENSION
4 sets - medium // high weight - 15 reps each, higher weight and lower reps by 2 each set

>LEG CURLS
3 sets - 10 reps // medium weight

>finish with FREE SQUATS until exhaustion

>run treadmill for mile

>finish with ab cycle explained before
>>
I recently hooked up with a chick and when I fingered her ass it was naturally lubricated somehow.

How can I generate my own natural anal lubrication?
>>
>>35291891
It's whatever you like. All that matters is that your getting some sort of pressure on that tissue and rolling out the fascia.

You can even use a pvc pipe!
>>
I have a bachelor's in biology recently graduated. Interested in becoming a personal trainer and possible PT down the road. Can you give me a brief step by step on getting a job as a trainer and what kind of challenges I'll face in the early goings?
>>
>>35291941
>naturally lubricated somehow
you skipped health class, didn't you? The female natural lubricates her vagina in preparation for sex. It's biology.

>How can I generate my own natural and lubrication
The only natural lube the male produces, ever, is "pre cum". Women produce body fluids that lubricates the vagina so the penis can slide in and out of the vagina with ease and transport the semen to the female without any pain.

if you wanna lube your dick "naturally", use your spit faggot.
>>
>>35291930
>>35291939
Yah brah! That's totally what you gotta do. That's what you do to fucking make sure you're replacing that muscle with fat.

You don't want to get "too big" so gotta make sure you stick to high reps to "tone" that muscle.

Make sure you hit that anabolic window after your work outs to make sure you don't go catabolic. If you don't hit it within 30 mins you might as well
Have not worked out at all.

You might benefit from more lay pull downs.

>not srs m8 oi

>>35291932
No man!

>>35291941
You could probably take something that will cause enough diaherea and use that.
>>
>>35291971
Brohatma, you got downs don't you? When does mom take away the computer? Midnight? You got three mins left if you're on the east coast, but another good 3 hours if you're pacific time. sounds like a fun night!
>>
>>35291961
>The female natural lubricates her vagina in preparation for sex

>>35291941
>her ass was naturally lubricated
>>
>>35291981
the vagoo body fluids dripped from her vagina to asshole, they're pretty close in case you didn't know. There's no way her asshole lubricated itself dumb shit.
>>
>>35291958

Pick your certification (I recommend NASM) it's what most gyms like.

Choose your package. Fork over 500+ bucks.

Study until you feel ready (maximum 6 months to study)

Take the test, get certified.

Apply to gyms, brag about your biology degree but make sure you tell them you're a good salesman.

This is when the challenges come in, getting the job is easy. Keeping it is harder.

At first a lot of work needs to be done. If you don't immediately look like you lift you'll have to work harder to convince people you can get them results.

If you don't like selling to people you won't like training.

Like PT already said, making money training people is more about marketing yourself than actual fitness.
>>
>>35291977
My mommy says that people like you are mean to me because they're just jealous and depressed with their own lives so they feel a need to bring other people down to their level.

My mommy said that all I need to do is love you and show you someone cares so that you won't be so grumpy.

Do you want a hug my dear?
>>
>>35291995
can you actually give me some real advice on:
>>35291930
>>35291939
>inb4 dumb bodybuilder reply
if you gonna be a dumbass meathead, just save it
>>
>>35292010
lol my bad I thought you were trolling.
>>
>>35289236
Hi, I started SS on August 2012 and did it for 2 months before losing motivation. Part of the reason I stopped is that I was not progressing much on my lifts and I was experiencing some pain near the groin area when I try to squat. I think it was the tendon that connects your hips to your groin. After I stopped lifting, the pain went away.

Now I started SS again this Monday. I'm afraid of getting that pain back again, but so far I'm only experiencing DOMS on my quads. I fear that the pain will go back again and I would like to know the things that I should do to prevent or minimize it.
>>
>>35292020
why
>>
>>35291995
Thanks for the response. How much of the sales is convincing people they need training vs convincing them you will be a good trainer? In other words is it it lot of cold approach sales type of stuff or does the gym set up potential clients and you are left to land them?
>>
>>35292063

Depends on the gym.

If it is a gym that does a lot of client direction, be prepared to play office politics if you don't want to get shafted on leads.
>>
>>35292063
>>35292067
This.

You're welcome!

>>35292024
Most likely form is the issue. If you pulled your groin that might suggest your legs are too far apart.

Do you squat with a wide and rotated foot stance?
>>
>>35292125
I've always did it with my feet slightly wider than shoulder width and pointing 20-15 degrees outward.

Do you think going ATG might have contributed to it? It feels easier to go up when my ass is below parallel.
>>
>>35292125
Also it's not the groin itself that hurts, IIRC. It was the area between the groin and the thighs, basically, the area where the two are connected.
>>
>>35290120
have you ever lifted any heavy weights u pussy ass bitch?
either you have some superman-tier recovery skills (which you dont) or you havent ever lifted heavy
>>
>>35290233
Looks like you have a case of the cursed long femurs.

Wider stance with a bit of toe out, oly shoes, and front bar squats are all your friends. Choose one or more of those things and you'll likely improve your lift instantly.

I know the feel bro, though it's a blessing if you're a cyclist.
>>
>>35292595
Pretty sure he mentioned that they were lifting for sets of 8.

If you have horrendous conditioning or are lifting to total failure, 3 mins is not totally out of the question for a recovery time, especially for CNS heavy lifts like diddlys or squats for example or are doing some serious volume failure training and want to pace yourself.
>>
>>35289236
There's a local xshit gym near me. If i pay the $60 for the one on one half hour session, can i just have this guy help my front squat and clean form, or will he waste my time with bullshit evaluations, etc.?

I've been lifting for a year and a half and all lifts (sans squat) are intermediate.
>>
>>35289236
I'm doing a PPL, run twice a week with the intent of gaining as much muscle as possible. Particularly in arms and chest. Right now, my only tri and bi work is close grip bench (push day) and bicep curls (pull day).

What should I add? Hoping for more mass. (Pull ups aren't an option just yet).
>>
>>35294474
Add skullcrushers for tris, hammer curls for biceps.
>>
>>35292024
did you do your warmup sets? you should probably do some additional warmup for hip flexors too, as well as stretching out of gym
>>
I recently got into weight lifting. It's 3 months soon. Going around 5-6 times a week. (I guess it's not too much for a starter, I have a 3~ year road cycling background, my body is familiar with working almost every day).

I've been getting some gains, I've gained around 6-7 kg mass within these almost three months. I know it could've been a lot more, but I don't take gainer (only protein shakes and creatine) and also I learn/change something every day in my eating schedule, so I should "get there" eventually.

My question is cycling related. So basically, as I said, I have a couple years of road cycling experience, riding around 6000 km's every year. The question is - it is possible to get a middle ground between weight lifting and road cycling, so I could see results in both spheres? I know these two doesn't go really well together, but even though I have found a real pleasure of hitting gym, I'm not sure whether I'll be able to drop the road cycling so easily as soon as season will start again (April/March~).
I'm okay with not riding a 40-70km's in my max speed possible everyday as I did up until now. I'm also okay with not getting significantly better at riding, since I'm okay with what I can do at the moment, but I'd like to just maintain what I got and still get gym results.

TL;DR - Is it possible to combine long distance road cycling and weightlifting?
>>
Could you explain how to progressively overload on exercises with fixed reps?

For example what's the difference between progressively overloading on a 5x5 bench than a 3x12 bench?
>>
>>35296631
>I should "get there" eventually.
Round here we call that "makin it" senpai
>>
>>35289236
Hopefully a simple question

Why do the following two things happen:

Stalling:
Where you can bang out 5 reps for 3 sets, but adding even a little more weight results failure pretty quickly

Losing Strength between workouts:
One week you can diddly 4pl8 five times, the next you can only do 170kg twice before you fail. Why?

a few sidenotes about myself: I'm not a beginner, I'm at least intermediate, and i also diet properly etc etc.
>>
>>35296631
Hello anon.

PT here.

Yes it is possible to combine them both.
You're welcome!

I will be closing this ticket now and setting it's status to 'pending confirmation from customer'

Please update the ticket if you feel your question wasn't answered!

Thanks for being a faggot, keep it up!
>>
My dream is to become a PT. Would you recommend it? I just love the idea of supporting people until they meet their goals. I've always liked teaching as well
>>
>>35297051
Okay, what exactly was "faggot" about what I said?
>>
I've been eating clean food and doing low carb and high protein. Not focusing on fat too much but also keeping it pretty low. I take caffeine, green tea extract, and yohimbine hcl every day.

I've lost 36 pounds in a month and a half and I feel fucking fantastic. But I haven't had much progress in adding weight in workouts. In fact I've been having to lower the weight occasionally. I'm afraid that by the time I've dropped down to 13-15% bf I'll be a weak little faggot. I'm pretty high in bf right now. 27.2%. Started at 33% though so I'll get there.
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.