[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /fit/'s opinion on Jim Wendler's 5/3/1? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 531workoutJimWendler.jpg (20 KB, 400x350) Image search: [Google]
531workoutJimWendler.jpg
20 KB, 400x350
What is /fit/'s opinion on Jim Wendler's 5/3/1?

I just decided to move to 5/3/1 following about 6 months of Phrak's GSLP. I'm doing the Big But Boring accessories. Today was my OHP day, and I have to say, it was very different. I was only in the gym for about 30 minutes as opposed to my usual hour, but my shoulders feel absolutely nuked.

Anyone have any experience and seen any results with this method?
>>
I'm on BBB too. Yeah, work out time dropped greatly but my strength has been gradually going up on all big 4. And one doesn't know pain unless they have done 5x10 OHP
>>
this is a solid routine. and you will see gains from BBB if you eat right

make sure to stretch and take care of yourself because that shit will be killer. especially lower back pumps on deadlift day
>>
>>35287129
Yeah. I was only doing 70lbs at 5x10, but holy shit after the warmups and 125x7, the 5x10 absolutely annihilated me. I definitely don't feel like I deprived myself a good workout despite the short duration.
>>
>>35287108
monitoring this thread, i'd like to hop on that in january, do my lifts need to be a certain number to fully benefit from the program?
Strengthstandards says i'm an intermediate lifter
>>
On BBB if 5x10 after your working sets is too much you could try the switch up from Beyond 531 where you do the other lift as your secondary. Like doing Bench for working sets then OHP as the 5x10.
>>
>>35287129
>>35287176
>>35287209
I've personally had good success periodizing the BBB sets in the following manner...

"5 week": 3x10
"3 week": 4x10
"1 week": 5x10
"deload week": none

Rinse repeat. And then on top of that I would always try to add reps to my sets. Once I could comfortably do 5x12, I'd increase the weight and drop down to doing 8s and start working back up. It works better this way, in my humble opinion.
>>
>>35287108

Good if you want to general fitness and a bit of muscle. Don't expect to reach a high level. The frequency of the lifts is simply too low.
>>
>>35287187
The weight you're lifting doesn't determine the stage you're at. A novice will be able to add weight every work out, an intermediate will have to wait from one to two weeks to add weight and advanced will take a month or more. People tell you to wait till you're "advanced" to switch to 531 because it's a monthly advancement but really if you're not in a hurry to get strong fast done right it's a program for consistent gains.
>>
>>35287270
That's pretty smart anon. That pretty much allows you to double up on maximum strength and hypertrophy on your BBB sets. Think I'll do this.

Seems 531 is /fit/ approved so far.
>>
File: 1667151134731.jpg (49 KB, 692x428) Image search: [Google]
1667151134731.jpg
49 KB, 692x428
You will get results if you stick with it. Do BBB and gradually introduce isolations as your endurance builds up.

You will look like a god in due time. Pic related. 5'11 215 doing 5/3/1 + BBB + isolations for a good 3 years. I get burned out CNS wise after a good four to six months on it so I cut down in between for a month or so and deload. My go to routine when I'm bulking. Cutting now though so I'm not on it atm.

Don't forget to hit biceps unless you want lopsided biceps like mine. That's my only complaint - it's easy to skip biceps on 5/3/1 cause you get so burned out after 5/3/1 + BBB.
>>
>>35287297
>The frequency of the lifts is simply too low.
While a higher frequency has been shown to be beneficial, there are countless examples of people who've gotten brutally strong training each exercise only once weekly.

>>35287298
>it's a monthly advancemen
Well not really. Because you always go for AMRAP on the last set, you keep setting PRs every session, even if you only increase the actual weight once a month.
>>
>>35287298
>an intermediate will have to wait from one to two weeks to add weight
having no problems adding weight on squats (and deads i presume, if my grip wasn't absolute shit) but progressing on OHP is becoming tough and bench is a utter bitch
>>
I'm bulking and doing a compressed 5/3/1 at the moment (2 day split and 2 week total cycle time) with first set last and +10% and +20% Joker sets.

It has made my ohp and bench start progressing again after stalling hard on SS.
>>
>>35287108
The beauty of 5/3/1 is that you can modify it a hundred different ways & it gives you a visual goal every single training day. Keep the basic 4 lifts & % of 1rpm. Work in joker sets, skip deload weeks until you need them. I've been running it for over 6 months & it's the easiest program to follow I've done in 20 yrs. The big positive is since you can tweak aspects of it I don't get bored, which used to be a big problem. There are some good apps for it & blackironbeast.com will give you an entire workout ready to print.
>>
>>35287357

Like who? The only people I've seen training with low frequency are elite level guys with a shitload of steroids. Just because they're training like that now, doesn't mean that's how they started as a beginner.
>>
>>35287443
The basic 4 lifts are low rep, accessory lifts between 10-20 reps.
>>
What are your goals? It's an OK strength program. Not my first pick, but not my last either.

It's absolute shit for bodybuilding. Yes, even BBB. Not nearly enough volume, even for natural bodybuilders.
>>
>>35287391
hookgrip + chalk. Worked wonders for me
>>
>>35287391
Eat more food, get a solid 7+ hour a sleep a night and vary your grip widths on the 5x10 portion for the presses. And don't be afraid to drop your 1rm percentage on the worksets when your progress plateaus. I've blasted through my plateaus doing this by dropping my 1rm% on the work sets and hitting above 10+/7+/5+ reps on the final work sets. And make sure you hit all 5 sets for 10 reps at 60-50% afterwards. Otherwise it's too heavy/you're checking out too soon and you need to bring it down. The 5 sets of 10 will nuke your grip for deadlifts so make sure you hit those if you want to get stronger grips.
>>
File: tmp_26695-1449194150045-39146990.jpg (777 KB, 3253x2236) Image search: [Google]
tmp_26695-1449194150045-39146990.jpg
777 KB, 3253x2236
>>35287297
This guy is retarded. You can add as many accessories as you want and believe me I know guys who are not only strong as fuck but look great too. All in all this is a solid powerbuilding routine.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.