[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Halp /fit/. When I squat I feel my hip flexors activating too
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 1450303534452.jpg (58 KB, 500x888) Image search: [Google]
1450303534452.jpg
58 KB, 500x888
Halp /fit/.

When I squat I feel my hip flexors activating too much,I also I cant manage to use my glutes and hamstrings as much as I use my quads and hip flexors

I made my research and tried hip flexor stretches and shit to activate my glutes but nothing works and im desperate as fuck.
>>
>>35285438
Squat low bar
>>
>>35285438
Bump. Having the same prob op, I squat high bar.
>>
>>35285458
I will try to squat low bar butI dont think that it will help

>>35285727
This shit sucks man,I just wanna do SS
>>
>>35285920
Low bar is the official ss squat
>>
>>35285920
Low bar helps activate your hamstrings and glutes more than high bar. Your quads will slack though so make up for that with accessory work
>>
>>35285932
I know but I wanted to do high bar
>>35285933
I think I have tried to do low bar and I feel tight,I cant manage to get below paralel.

It feels like my body is fucking shit from years of sitting
>>
>>35285438
Squeeze your glutes before starting the descent. Try and keep them half contracted through the entire movement. This is will serve as a cue.
>>
>>35286161
Problem is I cant,the only thing that happens is that I feel my hip flexors burning while quads to all the job

But thanks fo the tip
>>
Maybe I'm an idiot but I don't see how the hip flexors are involved in a squat to any significant degree?
>>
>>35286585

Your hip flexors are the muscles that close the angle between your abs and your thighs.
>>
I have this problem too, strained my hip flexors doing high bar squats and they've been aggravating me for a month now. Only advice I could find online is rest and slowly working back into exercise.
>>
>>35286611
Yes they are.

Still waiting for somebody to answer my question though.
>>
>>35286807
Try this. Stand up I'm your squat position. Are your glutes naturally right as fuck rn or do you need to squeeze them? If the latter, point your toes out another 10 degrees and try squatting, see if that doesn't activate your ass.
>had same problem
>pointing toes out more worked
>>
>>35286867
My question was that I would like somebody to explain to me how the hip flexors are involved in the squat to any significant degree. Because I don't think that they are. But a bunch of people in this thread seemingly do, so maybe I'm wrong.
>>
>>35286908
To control descent possibly?
>>
>>35285438
Start doing BOX SQUATS
>>
>>35286867
This is for op
>>
>>35286913
Hardly. That would be your hip extensors working eccentrically.
>>
>>35286807
Well, biomechanics can be kinda complicated.

For instance, if you start a bent-over row, you might think that your spine can't be under compressive stress, only shear stress, because you are not standing straight up and down, but in fact your spine is under much more compressive stress than if you were standing straight up and down with the same weight in your hands, because when you are standing in a bent over row position, your vertebrae and your spinal erectors are interacting with each other like a suspension bridge.

So, it might not be immediately apparent how your ilipsoas/hip flexors are involved in a squat, but trust me, they are quite involved.

Did you know that your hip flexors largely ignore your pelvis? There's like 4 or 5 of them and most of them connect your lower spine straight to your femurs/thighbones. Only one of them actually attaches to your pelvis. Then, because of the geometry, they pull your femurs slightly in towards your center. Now, your body is always slightly quaking under load due to the fact that your muscles have a discrete amount of muscle fibers firing off at different intervals of time, and the muscle as a whole doesn't have even force generation.

It's already more complicated than a simple lever and cable diagram, and it's hard to say what muscles are and aren't used simply by casual analysis. Really the only way to tell for sure is with direct experimentation.
>>
>>35286961
Appreciate the attempt anon, you sound knowledgable.

I still don't see it happening though. Even if you lengthen the iliopsoas when forcing your knees out, you shorten it at the same time as you flex your hips. The result is, theoretically at least that the hip flexors don't become lengthened at all.
Anecdotally I have tight hip flexors but feel nothing during a squat.
>>
>>35286908
they shouldnt be but if your mobility is shit and your glutes are weak they try to compensate when someone with these things falls for the hihg bar atg meme

work on mobility and glute strength op
>>
>>35287039
How though? How can the hip flexors ever take over for the glutes? They're pretty much antagonists, no?
>>
One thing you can try that worked for me was doing regular squats (no weights) on a round balance board. Having to maintain your balance will force you to use your muscles differently. Everyone brain wires up their muscle control groups differently, this will force your brain to create a new one.
>>
>>35285920
Hey bitch tits, how about you take advice when it's given. If you're not going to take good advice, then don't ask for it.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.