[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I cant squat for shit /fit/. Every time I try to squat only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1449713384182.jpg (264 KB, 794x1200) Image search: [Google]
1449713384182.jpg
264 KB, 794x1200
I cant squat for shit /fit/.

Every time I try to squat only my quads and hip flexors fire,no glute and no hamstring activation at all.

How could I fix this?

Also I feel like bodyweight squats are easier to perform,with my arms in front of me.
>>
File: APhMorF.jpg (160 KB, 800x1208) Image search: [Google]
APhMorF.jpg
160 KB, 800x1208
>>
Am i still banned?
>>
>>35270358
but... your quads... are your hip flexors...
>>
Are you squatting in a hospital with EMG on your muscles if you know some muscles aren't firing?
>>
that's physically impossible, quads and hams work together and glutes are always involved too especially at depth
>>
>>35270369
would still bang
>>
>>35270369
This one is hotter
>>
File: 1332458283609.jpg (127 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1332458283609.jpg
127 KB, 960x720
>>35270358
I have almost the same issue. Do roman chairs and romanian deadlifts, to strengthen and learn how to activly engaging the glutes / hamstrings.
Next do bodyweight squats with really trying to load the hamstrings while going down and activating the glutes when going up.
>>
>>35270379
Quads
>quadriceps
Hip flexors
>iliopsoas AKA psoas

OP, are you lifting barefoot or in flat-soled shoes?
May seem basic and a no-brainer,
But I worked as a PT for 5 years and it was the most common basic mistake I saw made.

Also, I'm guessing tight hip flexors (tightest and/or most dominant muscles activate first)
And weak glutes (loosest, weakest or least dominant muscles activate last, or not at all 'switched off')
>>
>>35270445
Do you have a desk-bound job or are you chair-bound upright, say, as a student and/or lazy fuck?
Or are you just like me and 90% of clients I saw -
Your average Westerner?

Either way, Google 'Alexander Technique for Dummies' or similar and 'semi-supine position' and 'cat stretch',
Then 'Third World squat' and read top 3 search engine results...(the articles)
Also try elevated goblet squats with a dumbell between your legs,
Or 'sumo squats' with a slightly wider stance.
Many Olympic lifters struggle with activating their glutes, so adopt a wider stance.
>>
>>35270383
No,but I only have had doms in my quads and never felt my glutes or hamstrings activating enough.

I also started to feel pain in my hip flexors after weeks of using only my quads and hip felxors,because it seems that they were compensating for the glutes and hamstrings,so I stopped squatting.

>>35270422
Thanks.

But as I said bodyweight squats are easy,problems come when I put my arms in position to hold the bar.

>>35270445
Flat soled shoes

>>35270489
Yes Im sitting a little bit too much,thanks for the info I will check it
>>
are you dum

just because you dont feel your glutes doesnt mean you dont use them, besides that if you want to just focus on the glutes there are better exercises like hip thrusts
>>
>>35270395
no its not
>>
>Every time I try to squat only my quads and hip flexors fire,no glute and no hamstring activation at all.

Try working on your hamstring flexibility with hamstring stretches everyday for like 3 weeks for 20 minutes. And do hipflexor stretches, and when you do them keep your back and hips aligned and only bend your leg below the hip.

Then try getting squatting shoes (with the raised rears). Then if you do a low bar squat there's literally no way you won't use your hamstrings and glutes.

>Also I feel like bodyweight squats are easier to perform,with my arms in front of me.
That's normal. Putting your arms out adjusts your center of gravity. It will differ between people, because everyone has different torso lengths, flexibility, and arm/leg length.

bigfatvaginas
>>
>>35270588
I gave enough proofs to show that I dont activate glutes and hams enough.

>>35270634
Thanks man
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.