[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ketogenic diet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 461x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 461x319
Both my mum and my gf are going ketogenic. They both reckon they're getting loads more energy and losing weight.
I've just started to give it a go. I can't find anything online dissing it.
Please redpill me on ketogenics
>>
I tried low carb 3 years ago and lost but gained back weight. Lost a lot of weight just tracking calories and burn more then I eat.

Gonna give keto another go because I have acanthosis nigricans and want it to clear up.
>>
>>35264601
It's just a way to get you to think about food and what you eat, same as those who go vegetarian/paleo for health reasons.

A balanced "normal" diet is still the best way to go. If they're losing weight then that's fine, but that'll be because they're intaking less calories than they're expending.
>>
>>35264601
Supposedly to much ketone production can lead to ketosis, meaning too much acetone production and so potentially dangerous. However this most likely eont happen unless you are diabetic. Otherwise, if u wanna optimize ketogenic diet then u should do interval fasting. Finally, make sure u try it longer than 3 days so youre brain can adjust.
>>
>>35264750

Ketosis is what characterizes the ketogenic diet. It wouldn't be a ketogenic diet if you didn't enter a ketogenic state. Otherwise it's just a low carb diet.

>>35264601

OP, you should try to convince them to learn to eat a normal healthy diet like the mediterranean diet. They can lose weight in the short term with any crazy diet but if they don't learn how to create a sustainable, healthy eating pattern, they aren't going to keep the weight off in the long term or avoid health problems as they get older
>>
it's pretty good, nothing magical as it's pretty much making you eat satiating foods so you'll feel sated with less calories. Probably not as good as eating a normal diet and avoiding cakes and sugar but if you feel good go for it.
One thing, you'll look flat as a pancake with no glycogen
>>
>>35264871
Ketosis and the production of ketones are not the same thing. Ketosis and ketoacidosis is an over production, which at high levels os toxic for the body.
>>
>>35264931
How does glycogen make you look flat?
>>
>>35264601
Good for breaking the habit of eating too much sugar ane overeating bad carby food like potato chips.

Once you've weaned off of these types of things, eating healthy carbs from vegetables and fruits (and watching your overall calorie consumption) is probably more effective than eating platefuls of bacon.
>>
>>35264601
Most weight lost in the first month will be excess water. Once you reach a desired weight need to gradually introduce the right carbs back in and eat a healthy amount and healthy types. Moderation of meats, dairy, fruits, vegetables, legumes & nuts.
>>
Ketosis is the cure for diabetes.
>>
>>35266807
Ketoacidosis can cause coma and death. It is not the cure.
>>
>>35266807

this is literally the most retarded statement i've ever read on this board
>>
>>35265613
carbs are stored as glycogen. glycogen is pretty much "water weight" that is stored to give you instant energy. when you don't consume carbs you don't have as much. have too much and you can bloat and look fat.
>>
>>35264601

keto diet is a meme created for lazy people that can't lose weight.

wanna lose weight ?
>only drink water
>LOTS of vegetables
>lean meats
>fruits and oats
>cardio

OR

you could fall for the keto meme and eat tons of bacon, steaks and eggs.
>>
>>35266832
What the fuck gives you the license to say things like this? Any 12th grade biology student knows that glycogen is stored in the liver. Where do you come up with this shit?
>>
>>35266874
you don't know what you're talking about bro. i bet you aren't even slamming a protein shake within 30 sec of finishing your final state or you go into starvation mode and lose 45% of potential gains.
>>
>>35266874
>In humans, glycogen is made and stored primarily in the cells of the liver and the muscles hydrated with three or four parts of water.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogen
is wiki wrong?
>>
>>35266832
Its not really a long term thing. It wont really make u flat or smth. Carbs are not retained, they are instead made triaglycerides, aka fats that are stored in adipose tissue.
>>
>>35264601
been trying to do keto but my family keeps making holiday treats and i dont want to be a buzzkill and turn them all down
>>
I did keto a few years back and went from 100kg to 70kg over 4 months or so.
After I stopped I shot back up to around 76.

It's a pretty good diet, and if I wasn't concerned about retaining muscle mass I'd do it again.

I'm paranoid about losing my gains now, so I'd probably opt for something less extreme.

But it was a good way to shed off heaps of fat before beginning my weight lifting journey to be sure.
>>
>>35266861
A keto diet doesnt really work like that. To achieve proper effects you still have to eat healthy, just reduced carbs and starches.

The ketone diet was developed as a treatment for a type of epilepsy.

Also ketone are produced at any point durng which youre body has no carbohydrates to burn.
>>
>>35266820
Which is why it's a good thing dietary ketosis has nothing to do with ketoacidosis.
>>35266827
Facts are retarded.
>>
>>35266957
Okay ill give u that. However prolonged ketosis can cause acidosis. I am in no way saying a ketogenic diet is bad, just mentionjng a potential side effect for people who go to extreme or already have something like diabetes melitus
>>
>>35266951
This post had the knowledge bomb
>>
>>35266820

Type one diabetic and I've been on and off keto all my lifting career its a great cut.

ketoacidosis only happens when there is no insulin present.

So just clear something up for everybody. For some reason diabetes and ketosis causes some confusion every time a ketogenic diet is brought up.

The fact that you have ketones is not the problem. It's why they are there.

So in short. If you have ketones because there is no insulin present that = bad

If you are intentionally doing it I.e on a specific diet then you are ok.
>>
>>35266928
This why you're fat. Learn2selfcontrol and just have one. Most people can eat like 50 grams net carbs and stay in ketosis
>>
>>35268800
Ive lost 110 lbs so far, just wanted to try keto for the last bit because im curious about how the body reacts and adapts to different stimuli, plus i like the idea of not eating so much sugar and bread and shit
>>
>>35266807
Ketosis worsens insulin resistance. Avoiding the issue by avoiding insulinogenic foods is the exact opposite of a cure.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.