[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I sprain my right shoulder while heavy benching. I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: ACJointSeperation-pic2.png (573 KB, 1264x793) Image search: [Google]
ACJointSeperation-pic2.png
573 KB, 1264x793
>I sprain my right shoulder while heavy benching. I've always been careful to set up properly. I always stretch prior and post workout, still this happened.

>Reading about Jim Wendler shoulder rehab. He went to shoulder surgery. Long story short: I wonder if this is avoidable as long time profesional lifters with great form also get injured.

>Good form prevents injury, but in the long run, we get injured nonetheless?

>Discuss.
>>
Shameless self bump.
>>
>>35247231
Have you gone through the shoulder's range of motion, standing and lying down? Where does it hurt?
>>
>>35247231
Talking about shoulder, when doing OHP i hear a cracking sound coming from my right should. I do proper form and even just with the bar my shoulder cracks. Should i stop doing OPH? Why does my shoulder crack?
>>
>>35247231
>I wonder if this is avoidable as long time profesional lifters with great form also get injured.
It isn't. Every big bencher has shoulder troubles.

>Good form prevents injury
It doesn't. Good form isn't healthy, it's not designed to be. Good form means you weaken your skeletal structure so the muscles take the brunt of the load for training purposes.

Healthy form would be cheating. That's why every newbie cheats, they instinctively use the ROM where ligaments and bone structure are strongest so they can lift the most weight without injury.

For example, strict bench press form destabilizes the shoulder girdle. This leads to the muscles being trained better, but also to shoulder problems.
>>
>>35247575
Previous injury/injuries, and/or excess joint fluid.
Does it crack when you go through the motion without any weight?
>>
>>35247601
That's not true at all.

Pinching the shoulder blades back and rotating your scapula to be flushed up against the bench press STABILIZES the shoulder girdle and allows a more strict rotation around the Glenohumeral.

The reason you see newbies using poor
Form isn't instinct it's lack of global and local stabilization systems and overall shitty CNS control.
>>
>>35247231
>long time profesional lifters with great form also get injured.

this is why I only bench once a week now. And I'm considering droping it out definately for the pushpress and only bench at higuer rep range for hypertrophy and frivolous reasons. IMO an injury don't worth the gains unless you're completely into PL.

I'm 35 now and been benching for almost 16 years now. Two years ago I almost fuck up my right shoulder for good.
>>
>>35247601
Oh I bench 315 lbs for working sets of 12 with 0 shoulder problems.

It's all about securing your shoulder joint and using control.
>>
>>35247601
Please stop talking shit you moron, good form IS healthier.
Newbies cheat for a variety of reasons whether it's for ego, ease or lack of knowledge.
Bench done with good form is better for your shoulders just as squat to below parallel is much more healthier for your knees.
>>
>>35247637
>>35247601
Do you morons really compare your gym training to a person trying to break a record and doesn't care about how sloppy or much of a grind his form is?
>>
>>35247643
You seem like one of those actually knowledgeable folk. Any good references on how to bench safely?

I'm getting back into working out after a 2 year hiatus after shoulder surgery, rotator cuff, scar tissue removal and ligaments shortened . I can dumbell bench 45s for reps, but I'm taking it nice and slow. Can't do barbell as my wrists are right fucked.
>>
>>35247699
Well stay light obviously.

Look up powerlifting to win. He does a good job of explaining the biomechanics of most lifts. Although I can't remember if I've watched his bench video.

The best exercises would be rotational stuff that you can do with a band or dumb bell (internal external rotation)

Just google it if you need images.

You might benefit from doing stability oriented exercises that focus on control.

Foam rolling will also be key in helping that scar tissue not form again or even breaking some left overs down.

Focus on doing things that stretch both your chest and your back shoulder muscles.

Look up snow angels with a foam roller.

You can also get a hard ball like a baseball or whatever and focus on rolling out the smaller muscles like your teres minor/major and pec minor/anterior deltoid.
>>
Its all about bench depth. Dont go so low that you're stressing your shoulders, you want your upper arms to be parallel with the floor.

>oohh my ROM tho

Fuck off cunt
>>
>>35247607
No injuries, and I dont know about the joint fluid.
When I move my hands in the air without any weight it does not make cracking noises.
>>
>>35247542
Right on the acromion
>>
>>35247752
It's not a real rep unless the bar hits your chest. That lower half of the full ROM is where most of the muscle action happens
>>
>>35247746
Beauty. Thanks bro
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-08-27-06-03-58.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-08-27-06-03-58.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
OP this is me no surgery, works fine
>>
>>35250075
Please get surgery.
>>
>>35248088
Pls respond
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.