[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will weight lifting fuck up your joints in the long run?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: typical_synovial_joint.png (80 KB, 400x304) Image search: [Google]
typical_synovial_joint.png
80 KB, 400x304
Will weight lifting fuck up your joints in the long run?
>>
>>35233938
Not if you don't overdo it, use good form and get adequate rest.
>>
>>35233938
yes eventually it probably will
>>
File: image2.jpg (36 KB, 400x303) Image search: [Google]
image2.jpg
36 KB, 400x303
Does anyone have any anecdotes from old bodybuilders/powerlifters? I've heard that Serge Nubret had healthy joints because he lifted light weights. Ronnie Coleman on the other hand went heavy and he has a hip replacement. Steroids and other PEDs can also make the situation better or worse.
>>
>>35233994
I know a guy that got so big so quick he can no longer reach his wallet out of his back pocket
>>
>>35233938

Strength training in youth makes bones stronger. I'm not sure how much of an impact it'd have on joints though. Generally speaking though if you have more muscle you reduce strain on joints.

You should do cardio, but if you do low intensity shit for a long time it'll wear out the cartilidge.
>>
>>35233938
Surat 76:28
"It is We Who created them, and We have made their joints strong; but, when We will, We can substitute the like of them by a complete change."
Be reasonable, but nothing too bad will happen if you pray.
>>
if go heavy enough, yes

just stay in a safe rep range and you'll be fine
>>
>>35233938
If you use good form and full range of motion, lifting will help strengthen your joints in the long run.
>>
>>35236058
>>35236058
I like that, happy Sunday anon
>>
>>35236079
>just stay in a safe rep range and you'll be fine
just stay in ur safespace u fugin lil boy
>>
>>35233950

What does "overdo" mean?

As in squatting three times a week?
>>
>>35236687

please respond,
>>
>>35236687
Overdoing it means to grind the majority of your reps with significant form breakdown.

If your intensity is low enough for you to recover between the sessions you're fine.
>>
>>35233938
Not if you pace yourself and use good form. It takes longer for your joints/tendons/connective tissues to acclimate to increased loads than it does muscles though. So as long as you avoid the trap of going stupid heavy too quickly and keep a reasonable pace on your progression to allow for your body to adapt you will be fine.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.