[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ketogenic Diet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: 1447342293023.jpg (212 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447342293023.jpg
212 KB, 1280x720
Yeah, another keto thread.

What to discuss:
>food
>macros, micros
>supplements
>effects on performance at the gym
>effects on cognitive performance

I hope this thread won't turn into another keto vs. non-keto thread. I couldn't give less of a shit which one is superior.
I'm starting a keto cut because I went too far with my bulk and got addicted to sugar.
I have gained 15 kgs of weight, mostly fat, within 15 months. I eat sugary shit worth 1000 kcals nearly every day, in addition to my regular diet. One day not too long ago I ate 8000 kcals worth of food. I'm beginning to look like a fat ass.
This has to end now.
>>
>>35225410
A shot of Apple cider vinegar should suppress any sugar or junk food cravings.
>>
>>35225468
Don't listen to this hippie

>>35225410
Just be strong friend. Also don't do keto
>>
File: 1444249213906-3.jpg (192 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1444249213906-3.jpg
192 KB, 1280x960
>>35225592
Why not?
I'm curious to see if it'll improve my studying performance.
>>
>>35225410
>>35225592
>>35225827
not sameanon but op, it's difficult and expensive to test if you're actually in ketosis and the range of time it takes for people is like 1-6 weeks which means 99% of the information you're going to get on /fit/ will be purely anecdotal.

the only good science on keto at the moment is to treat a variety of diseases that cause seizures.
>>
>>35227476
So what to do about my sugar addiction?
I could break at any moment and I thought keto would be a great way to restrict carb income 'artificially', if you get what I mean.
I'm probably developing type II diabetes.
>>
>>35225410
I wouldnt say im doing Keto but more Highfat Lowcarb thing, it has worked before and ive dropped about 18 pounds in a few weeks.

In all foods I eat I check the carb (low) and the sat fats(high), I also take into account the poly and mono fats but rarely since I dont think it mattters at the moment ( though it might for you )

normal ~60g protein shake after workouts is what i do now, other protons are gained in the meat that is a large part of my diet

I feel fine at the gym I cant really measure the difference since it has been over 3 months since Ive gone, being in ketosis actually gives me more drive to do more things and going to the gym is one of them. Once I get back into my heavy squats i suspect ill figure out a way to get some more carbs but that wont be for a while since my lazy ass has lost all of my lean muscle over the couse of a year.

as for mental , more drive and I feel like I think more realistically actually getting some self learning going in preparation for my attempt at a military career, time passes more slowly.

obligatory
>tfw haven't spoke to gf of one year for a week and only time im actually losing weight and getting fit again is when we've grown apart

>feelsbadman
>>
>>35227517
try getting into the diet and see how you feel, replace normal suger adds with zero cal artificial sweeteners, I find at the beginning of the diet is the hardest as the carb cravings kick in but as you go on ( ithink a few weeks ) you will no longer feel as much a need for the sweets or alcohol or whatever carb you consume, I think the biggest step for you will be making it past the first few weeks of it and after that it will be smooth sailing
>>
>>35225592
>Also don't do keto
shoo shoo gains goblin
>>
>>35225410

>I'm starting a keto cut because I went too far with my bulk and got addicted to sugar.
>I eat sugary shit worth 1000 kcals nearly every day, in addition to my regular die
>This has to end now.

You didn't think "I should just stop eating all this sugary junk food"? Your mind went straight to "I should eat a diet devoid of all carbohydrate and force my body into a state of pseudo-starvation"?
>>
>>35227765
>keto /= zero carbs
why do so many retards here think this?
>>
>>35227788

Technically there's room for a spoonful of oatmeal among all the bacon but you know what I mean
>>
>>35227801
>hurr le keto only eat bacon
fuck off dyel vegan faggot
>>
the keto debate is just like the vegan debate. Everyone is entitled to do what they want for their own reasons, but people who avoid entire categories of food generally tend to look like shit. In the sticky it does emphasize the importance of diverse food sources.
>>
>>35227854
>avoid
there's that word again, you don't need to go zero carbs to enter ketosis
>>
>>35227854
>referencing the sticky like a formal source
u wot?
>>
>>35227822

>pretending keto isn't a reddit bacon meme diet
>>
>>35227936
don't worry fatty, you can still eat all the carbs you want. nobody's going to take away your pizza and ice cream.
>>
>>35227959

>associates carbs with pizza and ice cream
>calls other people fatty

What was it like growing up in a trailer park?
>>
File: 1399607446803.png (117 KB, 320x263) Image search: [Google]
1399607446803.png
117 KB, 320x263
>>35227992
>excuse me my good man but i believe you are mistaken, i associate carbs with healthy foods like carrots and peas
>>
File: 6248446416_4d5b0f4ff0_b[1].jpg (613 KB, 1024x792) Image search: [Google]
6248446416_4d5b0f4ff0_b[1].jpg
613 KB, 1024x792
>>35228017

Like anyone that didn't grow up in a family where every meal came fresh out of a microwave or a greasy cardboard box
>>
Dietetic student here.
I don't have a vast array of knowledge yet but I can tell you that your body fundamentally needs carbohydrates, much more than you get on Keto
>inb4 your body utilizes fat instead
It is much more inneficient and much harsher on your body.
What I can say is that I eat at least 3000cal a day usually, and when I did Keto I went to struggling to eat more than 1500. It sounds impossible (your just a pussy, a real man eats more) but take it from a former fatass who's idea of a snack was a triple Decker pb and j, you won't get literally any hunger cravings. I lost the same amount of weight as when I normally cut at approx the same deficit. I didn't have MORE energy on keto, but amazingly I didn't have less either. If you start gradual, you will skip the "keto hangover" unless you regularly eat mostly carbs.
>Tl;dr
>no increase or decrease in energy if you gradually decrease carbs until ketogenesis
>no magic fat/weight loss, just normal weight Ioss
>incredible bad for the body long term (more than a month or two)
>expensive (proteins usually are)
>requires much more time as far as preparing meals
>>
http://www.healthline.com/health-news/keto-diet-is-gaining-popularity-but-is-it-safe-121914

Not even once
>>
>>35228086
>healthline.com

>>35228068
>i lost weight eating nothing but a bag of potato chips everyday! suck it ketofags!
>>
Keto has been around forever. It's an old fashion remedy for type 2 diabetes.
>>
>>35227878
> that word
Its a colloquialism. There's a difference between 20g of fiber, and 300g of whole grains. The former is avoiding carbs the latter is embracing them.

Anyways good luck with your cholesterol goals anon. Captcha = select all pasta
>>
>>35227476
Expensive? Just get some Ketostix from a pharmacy, they're fairly cheap. If it turns purple you're in ketosis
>>
>>35227517

>So what to do about my sugar addiction?

Stop eating refined sugar and eat good carbs
>>
>>35225410
I've done keto before. After the inital water weight loss, I wasn't losing much more weight than I would on a normal cutting diet. Supressed my appetite, had to remind myself to eat, but I felt like utter shit the whole time. Never again
>>
>>35228193

And like most old-fashioned remedies, it doesn't work.
>>
>>35228143
Work on your reading comprehension, buddy.
>>
>>35227476
>improve study performance
literally depraving your brain of glycogen and expecting to see improved brain function
>>
gotta love keto threads on /fit/. it turns out to be a bunch of fat autist arguing against it
>>
>>35228086
You do realize ketosis is literally the cure for diabetes right?
>>
>>35228068
>I don't have a vast array of knowledge yet but I can tell you that your body fundamentally needs carbohydrates, much more than you get on Keto

Which is why you keep your carbs under 50 grams from green vegetables such as broccoli and spinach.

Dietetic student. What a joke.
>>
>>35228055
That looks pretty gross T B H m80
>>
>>35229047

it's more likely to make diabetes worse since high fat diets worsen insulin sensitivity

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11679437
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.