[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's settle this once and for all /fit/: Is SS a meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: Rip.jpg (146 KB, 900x1024) Image search: [Google]
Rip.jpg
146 KB, 900x1024
Let's settle this once and for all /fit/:

Is SS a meme routine?

http://www.strawpoll.me/6242302
>>
The routine itself (squat, ohp/bench, deadlift) isnt a meme.

Those are some good lifts to help new people.

But SS (the name) is a meme
>>
Honestly the problem with SS is autists follow it exactly.

Do some fucking curls.
>>
>>35221096
I don't like curls.
>>
>>35221096

Doubt it.

Most of the people on /fit/ who 'did SS' have never even read the routine, let alone read the book or followed it to the letter.
>>
>>35221096
fuck curls until you can do at least 5 good chins w/ 90lbs
>>
>>35221091
>>35221096
>>35221112

If you're not following the routine you're not following the routine.

It's nonsense to say "I do SS but like to throw in curls, pullups, leg press, leg curl, calf raises, etc". By that line of thinking, anyone doing compounds is doing SS.
>>
>>35221074
SS is a meme is a meme
>>
One each of push/pull/leg per day
3 days per week
Eat big
Sleep well
Progressive overload

That's pretty much SS. There's nothing controversial about it, and it's uncomplicated.

Kudos to Rip for his form videos though, extremely helpful.
>>
>>35221130
The SS book is happy to include extra lifts if you feel like doing more or need to shore up weak points.
>>
It's a meme in that it cares about you getting as strong as possible as fast as possible and doesn't give a fuck about how aesthetic your physique is
>>
>>35221182
It never advertises itself as anything else.
>>
Squatting every single workout is a meme. Rip offers lots of accessories you can add though like pullups and curls to help out. In terms of the absolute base program, Sean's stripped 5x5 > SS/SL.
>>
>>35221091
Why does SS alternate OHP and bench? Wouldn't someone starting out want do both of those 3 times per week?
>>
>>35221285
so u dont guillotine yourself
>>
>>35221285

How long do you think you could sustain hitting PRs in two pressing movements every training session?
>>
>>35221074
Why not greyskull lp?
>>
>>35221096
SS has a short section on barbell curls. Granted, Rip makes a big production about how he is just putting the section in because people are going to curl anyway and he just wants to make sure they do it right, but SS does include curls. The really stupid meme is not SS, it's idiots who have not read the whole book saying you will end up in "T Rex Mode" because you followed SS and only did lower body workouts.

Full disclosure: I have never followed SS, I just read it because it's a great resource for anyone who seriously wants to learn the mechanics of basic lifting. If you sound off on /fit/ about SS being a meme, all you are doing is showing everyone that you aren't a very careful or attentive reader.
>>
>>35221074
Depends what you mean by meme.
Is it a great beginners routine? Absolutely
Is it joked about and used to troll? Yes
>>
>>35221130
The book recommends a bunch of different accessories to do. SS can be done with accessories at the end or and extra accessories day
>>
>>35221074
kek I was the 69th vote
>>
>>35221096
>Do some fucking curls.
even rippetoe does curls
>>
>>35221074
>rippetoe is fucking fat
i need two votes.
he is fat and it is not a meme.
>>
>>35221325
I don't know but you don't need to hit a PR to make progress. What's wrong with doing heavy bench/light press one workout and light bench/heavy press the next?

Almost completely rejecting a muscle group for a workout seems really bad for a beginner.
>>
>>35222179

Have you seen how rip teaches the press?

You're definitely not leaving out the chest on that workout and its fucking impossible to bench without significant shoulder usage.
>>
>>35222179
>What's wrong with doing heavy bench/light press one workout and light bench/heavy press the next?
Literally nothing, Rip was asked this on his Forum by a guy who loves OHP all Rip told him to do was do both OHP and bench but do one at a lighter weight and the other at your working weight.
>>
File: XG1Et.jpg (195 KB, 600x1049) Image search: [Google]
XG1Et.jpg
195 KB, 600x1049
>>35221096

>pic related
>>
>>35221146
SS is a meme is a meme is a meme
>>
>>35223100
>trucrypt

Lol wonder what happened to him
>>
File: guy-160411_640.png (146 KB, 640x634) Image search: [Google]
guy-160411_640.png
146 KB, 640x634
>>35221074
It's a dumb routine for most people here. Kids want to be fit and look good, not become a t-rex and do stupid exercises like low bar squats (great for developing your ass more than your legs) and power cleans (bbers don't do them cause it doesn't make sense)

Meanwhile you completely ignore calves and other bodyparts.

If you want to look like Rippetoe, do SS.

SS doesnt make sense if you want to look good. Do a brosplit instead.
>>
File: Photo on 2015-09-25 at 8.12 PM.jpg (56 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 2015-09-25 at 8.12 PM.jpg
56 KB, 720x480
>>35221074
I did SS

>checkmate, atheists
>>
>>35221421
>SS has a short section on barbell curls
retard. the book is about basic barbell training, not just the SS program. you think you could add stone lifting to SS (the program) just cause its talked about in there?
>>
>>35221506
you too >>35223450

at the programming section it says "chins can be added (after a month or two into the program) as the only really useful assistance exercise at this point" and soon after that
"Any supplemental exercises other than chin-ups should be chosen very carefully so as not to interfere with
progress on these five crucial movements. Remember: if progress is being made on the primary exercises, you
are getting stronger and your objective is being accomplished. If in doubt, leave it out. Ha.
After you progress beyond the novice phase, you can still use this workout, with very few additions. The
variety is introduced into the programming of each lift, and variations are made in the workload. Even for more
advanced trainees, it is unnecessary to add lots of different exercises to the workout, as the purpose is always
served when strength levels increase on the basic lifts. Any assistance exercises that are added must be kept in
their proper perspective; they are there to help you get stronger in the basic lifts, not as an end in themselves.
The press and the bench press, for example, will always be more important than arm work, and if curls and
triceps exercises interfere with your recovery from pressing or benching, instead of adding to your strength in
these lifts, they are being misused."
>>
ss is dumb
>>
>>35223425
nice quads :^)
>>
SS is not a meme but Rip is still fat, honestly don't know what to pick
>>
>>35222202
>Have you seen how rip teaches the press?
i have not, and i don't use my chest when i press, and my clavicular head is under-developed.

i thought i had to switch my bench to incline only, but i can build chest with ohp?
tell me the seekrut.
>>
>>35223425
What..... is this supposed to be impressive?

You look like shit!
>>
SS is a near direct ripoff of one of the templates from the bill starr's the strongest shall survive, a book directed exclusively at football athletes. hence the presence of powerclean, a movement that rippletitcs cant even coach properly and which is redundant for an average gym goer. hence the bare-bones, work-o-phobic structure as the athlets had to fit weight lifting in between their football practice. its overly minimalistic, lacks flexibility, adjustability, and balance. its subpar for aspiring powerlifters due to insufficient deadlift volume and equal emphasis on bench and ohp, its especially terrible for aspiring bodybuilders as it emphasizes lower body work to an uneccessary degree.
>b-b-but SS is better than brosplit
and there are better routines than SS. see : candito's linear, ptw novice, ws4sb, lyle mcdonald generic bulk, any reasonable 2-way split
>b-b-but its a beginner routine, you can switch after a few months
you still wasted months doing a subpar routine
>b-b-but muh book
the book is a compilation of info readily available on the internet nowadays with some 1st year kinesiology mixed in, as a novice youd be better off binge watching candito's vids than reading it

ss is the crossfit of strength programs - overly hyped mediocre program with cult-like following,
>>
>>35223464
Essentially

>add a few accessories if you want, but don't go overboard cause it will fuck up your recovery
>>
>used to think SS was about eating very little and doing cardio until you looked like an Auschwitz survivor

I know right...
>>
>>35221112
This
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.