[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Loose skin. How do I avoid this when I lose weight? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: ew.jpg (16 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
ew.jpg
16 KB, 500x375
Loose skin.
How do I avoid this when I lose weight?
I've heard that rapid weight loss will make it worse, so what is considered rapid?
Is 2 lbs a week safe?

Also, if any anons have ended up with loose skin, did it ever tighten up? I've heard that weight training helps it tighten up but I don't know if this is broscience or not.
>>
>>35217803
Don't know if weight training tightens the actual skin, but adding muscle underneath the skin will make it look tighter.
>>
>>35217803
You need to drink an excessive amount of water, and you can only take cold showers.
This will keep the skin tight
>>
>>35217807
This guy is correct. Lift Heavy, Lift Right, eat lots of healthy Protein, Sleep.
>>
>>35217803
Depending on how big you are, it my be unavoidable.
>>
If you're even 20 lbs. overweight you will always have loose skin
>>
File: 1449436776191.jpg (24 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
1449436776191.jpg
24 KB, 500x359
>>35218178
>>
>>35217803
>I've heard that rapid weight loss will make it worse, so what is considered rapid?
Fuck no, this is a meme that won't die.

The longer you are overweight for, the more your skin stays stretched out. If you can lose the weight quickly at a young age, it has more elasticity and may not be too loose. The older you are, the less elasticity your skin has. Just lose it ASAP without doing anything super dangerous. 2 lb a week is fine.

Think about stretching a t-shirt out by putting it on a mannequin that's too large for the shirt. Think about doing it for 30 seconds vs 30 hours. That's a very imperfect analogy because your skin is nothing like a fabric but you get the point.
>>
You can't prevent it. If speed of weight loss mattered your skin would just go back to normal eventually wouldn't it? Say two guys lose 100 lbs - one in a year, then he has 6 months at his new weight - and another loses it in 6 months then has a year at his new weight. They've both had the same overall chance for skin contraction.

Weight training will do jack shit for loose skin on the stomach, because if you got fat enough to get loose skin there, you won't build enough ab mass to even come within miles of buffing the skin back out. Probably the same goes for your chest realistically. Legs/butt/biceps might be another matter, since they have great growth potential.
>>
>>35218344
What counts as a young age? We talking teens here or what?
Would there be much loose skin if your 60-70lbs overweight and 22?
>>
I'm 24, female, 5'7", highest was 225lbs before I kicked myself up the arse and am currently 181lbs and going down but I still have a FUPA and I can already see that my stomach is starting to look saggy.

225lbs is massive on a woman, but I never thought it could affect me this badly because I'm 5'7", so I thought I'd be okay. It got me in the end anyway.

Overwhelmingly OP it's a case of genetics, how long you stayed at your highest weight and how long it takes you to burn it off.
Sometimes it's inescapable, but you can minimise the damage by staying hydrated, working your core/abdominal muscles and ensuring you have the necessary nutrients avaliable to your system at all times such as vit. C, hydrolysed gelatin is a good un', vit. E etc.

Good luck OP.
>>
>>35218420

I'm not the guy you replied to, but I've read age 35-40 is when the skin starts to lose its elasticity. It's a highly individual thing. I've seen guys with severe loose skin who were only mildly obese. There was a guy at 6' 220 who went down to 150 who posted the other day and his loose skin was pretty bad. But some guys lose 100+ and have minimal. Losing 60 or 70 you're actually in the realm where you might not get any loose skin at all.
>>
>>35218344
>Think about doing it for 30 seconds vs 30 hours.

There would be no difference whatsoever
>>
>>35218456
Thanks, it's nice to know. While I'd like to avoid the loose skin, I want to lose the weight more.
>>
>>35218428

I'm 6', 20 male. I was 310 or 315. I didn't notice anything til around 235. What started happening was when I breathed in my gut it looked mildly wrinkled. Then at 200 lbs still the only place I had loose skin was my gut, but it looked quite wrinkled when I breathed in now. At 180 I noticed it on my neck a bit when my double chin finally went away. Now at 160 there is a bit on my chest around my armpit too and on my butt/below my butt, plus on my lower bicep a bit. And when i sit down the skin on my legs/butt just looks fucking gross. it kind of spills out. Hard to describe. The butt loose skin bothers me the most.

It's funny cause when I was 200 lbs I thought I had been lucky only to have it on my stomach considering I'd lost 110+ lbs. But it's that threshold thing. Just losing another 40 lbs and it's apparent I have it everywhere.
>>
File: File Dec 11, 4 41 34 PM.jpg (215 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
File Dec 11, 4 41 34 PM.jpg
215 KB, 1280x960
>>35218456
I'm that guy, I lost a few more pounds and it seems to be getting better, I think I just have a lot of fat there.
>>
>>35218474
It definitely makes a difference depending on the fabric. I knew a kid from a poor family whose mother used to stretch his wet cotton t-shirts on a picture frame overnight to make them larger so that he would outgrow them slower.
>>
>>35218576
But the difference there is that it dries into the new shape as the time passes
If you force the cotton into a new shape it'll remain that way no matter how long you take
The method your buddy's mother used is just easier because when wet cotton expands and is more malleable
>>
>>35218537
dem hips
>>
File: IMG_20150305_202949943.jpg (3 MB, 2952x5248) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150305_202949943.jpg
3 MB, 2952x5248
>>35217803
Guy who used to weigh 280lbs here.
It will be there, and there isn't anything that you can do about it other than surgery.
The amount you keep will depend on your genetics.
I don't have too much of it after losing 120lbs, but it's still visible to a degree.

The only thing that will help you is just focusing on getting stronger.
>>
If I was around 255lbs and I lose weight how much extra skin can I expect?
I've got down to 235lbs so far so I can't tell anything

I'm 19 (born in July) and 6'3"
>>
>>35219193
Lots. You will probably lean out at 180-190 with a lot of extra skin. Almost better to just stay at 235 at your height
>>
>>35219217
Ignore this man
I think he's one of the newfag skeletons who hate fat people and don't want them to make it
>>
>>35219151
Can you post a pic where you're not grabbing your skin? I'm wondering how noticeable it is if you don't call attention to it.
>>
>>35219227
What? No, I'm 6'2" 228 lbs. myself. I'd rather have a few extra pounds than ugly excess skin
>>
5'6" jesterlet here

SW: 220 burgers
CW: 170
GW: 160ish; this is my current estimate for goal bf% of 12-14%

220 was the heaviest I was, waist line was probably 37-38 inches. Currently I'm at like 33-34 inch waist.
Still have a belly, but it doesn't seem saggy at all. Some stretch marks here and there though.
I have Caribbean-brown skin, hispanic islander ancestry. Don't know if genetics are influencing the elasticity greatly, but it feels like it.

Keep in mind, I've been somewhat athletic through my youth despite always being overweight. I was fat due to overeating, but I wasn't sedentary.
>>
File: IMG_20150321_115836006.jpg (4 MB, 2952x5248) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150321_115836006.jpg
4 MB, 2952x5248
>>35219151
Thankfully I'm just left with a little skin pouch just below my bellybutton.
>>35219193
You might have some loose skin left, it depends on your genetics. You most likely won't have a noticeable amount.
>>35219233
pic related.
>>
>>35219244
Oh right
Ignore this man
He's one of those faggots who would rather not try for fear of failure
>>
>>35219247
Forgot to mention that I'm 23 years old.
>>
>>35219251
That clavicle bone popping out is triggering me
>>
>>35217803
I'm 6'5 and was 300 lbs, I'm now around 215 and got no loose skin. I might stop if I see too much loose skin appear and start building muscle.
>>
wow. this thread is motivation to never become a fatass. got a bit of gyno but skin sag, that's too much.
>>
>>35219251
>>35219263
Straight out of DBZ bone structure. I like it dude, my collar bones are very similar, and I've gotten compliments and mires.
>>
File: thermage tummy 2.jpg (1 MB, 2811x1375) Image search: [Google]
thermage tummy 2.jpg
1 MB, 2811x1375
>>35219251
These tiny amounts of loose skin you guys fear so much are nothing to worry about imo
There are lots of non invasive treatments for improving the appearence of that type of shit when it's that minimal
>>
>>35219263
They've always been like that, even when I was a tubby tub.
>>35219289
Some people like it. Too bad I don't have the hip and chest genetics to consider training for aesthetics.
>Pic related, ignore the stomach sucking pls.
>>
File: IMG_20150310_103920062fgg.jpg (4 MB, 2952x5248) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150310_103920062fgg.jpg
4 MB, 2952x5248
>>35219350
forgot the image.
>>
>>35219308
Is it painful? I heard they have to cut that shit out
>>
>>35219563
Thermage is a radiofrequency thing, there aren't cuts
Carboxytherapy are little injections

Those only help minor loose skin tho
When it's a lot they cut it out with surgery
>>
>>35218428
Yeah no shit. You'll look at at 115.
>>
File: ss.jpg (2 MB, 2744x1558) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
2 MB, 2744x1558
I got kind of lucky, I've lost over 100lbs and have absolutely fuck all loose skin. I guess the main reason is that I'm fairly young, but it probably helps that I exclusively drink water (and fucktons at that), don't smoke, eat lots of fruit, vegetables, lean meats and take a fish oil supplement. I'm not sure what else you can do really.

At the end of the day if you're older chances are your going to have SOME loose skin. Realistically though wouldn't you feel better having loose skin as opposed to being a hamplanet?
>>
>>35219251
You give me hope for myself. Childhood obesity +Excessive cardio + anorexia really fucked my shit up when I was a teen. My skin is not quite as loose anymore but damn do I still have work to do.
>>
>>35217803
You're talking about people who were morbidly obese to the point that their gut (the gut by itself) was bigger than the entire skeletal frame of the human.
At this point it takes year to tighten the skin as layers and layers of skin need to grow/develop/decay and will eventually tighten around your new frame.
For people within 50-100lbs overweight.
You will probably have minimal loose skin (maybe lunch lady arms at most).
Good diet+plenty of water+minimal amount of free radicals= only way to keep from having loose skin.
Everything else is genetic, as your free radical count will increase with age as the cells aren't as well protected and your nutritional intake shrinks.

Lifting does not make the skin tighter, you're just replacing the fat with muscle.
It doesn't change the fact that your skin is shit tier.
Only good diet+water can repair skin.
>>
I have stretch marks all along the sides of my gut and it's been hanging over my pants for about 5 years so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have pretty loose skin when it starts coming off. Makes me sad but at the same time I only have myself to blame for getting so fat in the first place.
>>
>>35218178
This isn't true, I lost over 100lbs and I have barely noticeable loose skin on my stomach

It all comes down to drinking a ton of water, losing weight steadily and not too fast, and genetics
>>
>>35217803
you could always eat big and do a metric fuckton of ab workouts and grow hyper abs, they'll push up against your skin and tighten it up or something

I'm not sure because I'm infi-cutting so I'll never know
>>
So here's a long shot question based on the clientele of this board but what about loose skin and pregnancy? Any femanons that had kids or anons married to women that had kids and got fit.
I see any random variation of before and after pictures where the skin is loose as fuck and others where it bounces back. Is that more of a genetics thing or the water/exercise/weight lifting/diet/supplement routines paying off?
>>
>>35220044

Depends on how much the woman bought into the "eating for two" meme when she was pregnant.
>>
>>35220044
Genetics.
Woman's fitness is full of lies and garbage.
If the skin will shrink back all the way, it will. If it won't, it wont. Anyone saying anything else is a nut or trying to make money off of you.
>>
>>35220075
>just use cocoa butter femanon!!!!!
>>
>>35220109
>cocoa butter

That's good for stretch marks if you actually use it 1-2x daily.
>>
>>35220044
My mom's pregnancy with me was awful, high risk and she gained about 30kg
But still left with no loose skin or any stretch marks
She said her secret was massaging with almond oil
>>
>>35219692
Mirin the shit out of this desu
>>
>>35218344
How young are we talking? My sister is 29, and has been on lots of birth control medicine that made her heavy, and some anti depression meds, along with SSRIs. She's been overweight, like 250 lbs since she was 14. Now she's 333 lbs. Will she have loose skin, even though she's youngish?
>>
>>35220305
>250 lbs, 333 lbs
from birth control and meds

Sorry man, but your sister is fat because she can't stop eating.
>>
>>35220349
Well, yeah, I figured that was a given. But it is proven that certain medicines and birth control make it harder to lose weight because they fuck the endocrine system up, can cause hormonal imbalances like PCOS, etc. It's a combination thing, and she does emotionally eat, but that doesn't answer my question.

She wants to lose weight, and is afraid of loose skin. She's also scared she'll hurt herself starting out. I don't want anything to happen to her, so how can I help her?
>>
>>35220366
Remind her that she'll look 5 times better when/if she loses the weight, even with loose skin and she won't hurt herself at all, even on a 1,000cal deficit.
>>
>>35220305
She has to lose 200 pounds
of course she'll have loose skin

100 MAYBE she could have gone away unscathed
but 200? come on
>>
>>35217803
I've heard some people theorize that the reason the skin hangs down like that is because your bodyfat % is still too high so the skin is attached to pockets of fat that droop down. If you lose some more fat then the skin should cling to muscle instead
>>
I am absolutely riddled with stretch marks.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.