[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Insulin - how does it work? Insulin general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (886 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
886 KB, 3264x2448
So I've read high school biology like everyone else and learned about how insulin regulates blood sugar levels. I know about that diabetes fucks up how your insulin works. Apart from that, I don't know much.

How does insulin affect my training? Insulin seems to be anabolic to its nature, does that mean I can stuff my face with sugars during the entirety of the bulking season? Is insulin = gains? Help me out bros.

Insulin general
>>
>>35215006
Are you diabetic
>>
>>35215006
Insulin is gains baby
>4 cupcakes CMON
>>
>>35215006
That's Swedish candy, isn't it?
>>
>>35215006

The crystal structure of insulin in the solid state was determined by Dorothy Hodgkin; she was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1964
>>
>>35215006

I know that insulin causes an increase in the secretion of hydrochloric acid by parietal cells in the stomach
>>
>>35215013
no
>>35215038
damn right

I have 2,2k kcal to down before heading out with a couple of friends and I got desperate, bought OP pic related b/c 1000 kcal. When I was sitting on the bus I figured I should read up on it, but I didn't find any source comfy enough to read on my phone.

>>35215068
do you know anything about how it affects strength training, muscle growth and accumulating fat?
>>
I'm diabetic

Type 1 diabetes means your body produces no insulin so you have to take it yourself. Type 2 diabetes is when your body makes insulin but can't do anything with it so you need to take pills that improve your body's insulin response.

I'm pretty sure that the reason insulin essentially works as a steroid is you are adding another degree of control to when your body processes all the sugars going into it. If you take insulin before working out, the timing will make it so your body processes all the sugars while you're working out so it gets used more efficiently.

In general, yes, not taking insulin as a diabetic will make you lose weight (weight loss is one of the 4 classical symptoms of T1 diabetes), while taking more insulin makes you gain more weight.
>>
>>35215014
actual laugh
>>
>>35215102
how does diabetes affect the way you eat and lift etc? Does the shots make your body work like clockwork if you just take em or does the illness screw up anything else about your days?
>>
>>35215118

Basically, whenever I eat anything with carbs in it I have to take insulin. So diet drinks, water, meat etc. are ok for me to eat without taking insulin, but pasta, rice, sugars, anything with carbs means I have to take insulin after I eat it. It doesn't really screw anything up; checking blood sugar and taking insulin becomes second nature when you've done it for 5 years. The only thing with lifting I have to be careful about is to make sure my blood sugar is at a normal level before I lift, because low blood sugar could make me pass out during a lift (or just generally make it hard to react to my surroundings; extremely low blood sugar causes a worse mental state than any psychoactive drug I've ever been on) and high blood sugar would put a lot of strain on my body.

It's pretty alright though, like I said everything eventually just becomes second nature. I'm off to class tho so I won't be able to tell you anything else for like 2 hours
>>
>>35215006
Basically, insulin causes a switch to flip in each and every cell it can bind to, causing an an increase in the uptake of glucose to be held inside the cell, through the swapping of a cation to allow transport.

It's used/abused in conjunction with steroids for mass gain, which make slight tweaks in 'nutrient packaging', allowing for more efficient protein synthesis, and requires more energy for use.

>Eat a bucket of ice cream and chicken wings on tren and test e, inject your insulin, and go to town on a workout.
>>
>>35215178
have you looked up if you could utilize it to your advantage in regards to training? I mean pro bb:ers are shooting insulin even though they're not diabetic. You already have diabetes, can it get worse?
>>
>>35215231
so eating sugary stuff after/before a workout is beneficial to my nutrient uptake, due to it spiking the insulin?
>>
>>35215337
Not necessarily, you don't want to blast yourself with insulin every time you go to work out, you'll get the beetus.
>>
More Insulin = more fat storage and more glycogen sent to muscles from eating carbs

Less insulin = Fat burning, carbs do not get sent to muscles as glycogen as efficiently
>>
>>35215495
how much is fat loss and accumulation affected by this and how much is affected by caloric restriction and surplus?
>>
bumping

I'm interested as well

come on /fit/, why do only shit tier threads rack up the answers here
>>
>>35215006

Insulin relaxes cell walls, which allows cellular uptake of serum glucose.

Type 1 diabetes happens when your pancreas stops producing insulin.

Type 2 diabetes happens when your cells become desensitised to insulin.

Tl;dr - Don't take insulin if you don't need to.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.