[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much do you think willpower and mental strength come in to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: BenFranklinDuplessis.jpg (137 KB, 728x900) Image search: [Google]
BenFranklinDuplessis.jpg
137 KB, 728x900
How much do you think willpower and mental strength come in to lifting? When your running and your mind tells you to stop, you almost definitely can keep going. What about lifting heavy weights?
>>
>>35213340
Not much. More related to staying motivated and not quitting than completing a single workout.
Still, my willpower is absolute shit tier (no steady job or career prospects, unfinished uni, basically I start 10 things and finish none), but I've been lifting non stop for 2 years now.
>>
There's a point where you can't budge the weight an inch. It's annoying. Not much willpower is needed for lifting.
>>
When you're lifting heavy and your mind just tells you to stop, willpower has nothing to do with whether you keep going or not.
>>
>>35213340
>ow much do you think willpower and mental strength come in to lifting?
To an extent pushing hard can help.But doesn't your body use atp or some shit and when you run out of you fail sets?
>>
>>35213356
lol try high rep squats faggot
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 233x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 233x200
Yeah cos when I bench alone I'm always afraid of going for pr's due to killing myself if I drop the bar on my neck but if I go with my mate we get really angry before each set to pump ourselves up and I know he'll be there to spot me if I can't lift it. If you believe you can't lift the weight then you won't be able to
>>
Every session if you push yourself to the absolute limit (on sets where that is the aim at least), lets assume for arguments sake this yields a 5% increase in performance.

This isn't a leap, you could get one more rep on a set of 10 if you really really tried, couldn't you? If your family's life depended on it, you could get one more. That would be an increase of 10%, but since sets of 10 aren't that common here (5x5 meme etc) lets just say 5%.

Now, if you do that every session for a month ,you're on average hitting 16 (for a given exercise of 4x10, just for arguments sake) that someone who wasn't pushing themselves would not hit.You're hitting 128 reps more across all movements you mush yourself for if you only do one lift per day and train 4 days a week.

That's only a month, imagine years? It matters. A lot.
>>
>>35213356
>>35213363
>>35213726

I don't think its the same willpower per se as running, but there are definitely times where you can mentally pump yourself up enough that you can pump out an extra rep.
>>
>>35213356
Ever heard of high reps, newfag?
>>
>>35213340
>How much do you think willpower and mental strength come in to lifting?

>>35213349
>Not much. More related to staying motivated and not quitting

wtf am I reading?
>>
Willpower in running/cycling/swimming/cany ardio is needed to go through the pain.

Willpower in lifting is needed to overcome fear of failure and death.
>>
>>35213340
It sure is important but not in the same way. Doing doubles or singles is more about willpower and mental strength it takes to go from resting to getting under that fucking bar again, which isn't the same as the willpower it takes to keep going.
>>
Willpower is huge. For example: deadlifting in an empty gym vs deadlifting in a gym full of the womans soccer team. The weight feels about 20 percent heavier when lifting alone.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.