[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me why sheer height/weight is considered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Legend_Fighting_Championship_3.jpg (410 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
Legend_Fighting_Championship_3.jpg
410 KB, 1000x562
Can someone explain to me why sheer height/weight is considered the most determinant factor in a fight? Is this strictly a leverage thing?

I'm trying to figure otu why many people think a 5'10" lean, strong dude is considered no opposition to a 6'3 tub of pudding.
>>
>>35206089
Athletes are expected to be in good shape; the extra weight is assumed to be muscle
>>
People who think a tall tub of pudding could beat the shit out of an average height shredded guy are retarded, and i say that as a lanklet
>>
>>35206139
People do think this with surpising frequency, it seem. I'm hoenstly confused by it and figured I must have something all wrong.
>>
>>35206089
It varies. Mass is more important than height, a tall guy obv has longer reach but a shorter guy can get in close and can do well that way. More mass makes the punches harder on the other guy, plus most of the force comes from shifting your weight with your legs. So also both through stronger legs and more mass behind the punch.
>>
>>35206159

What are we talking about here?

Actual trained fighters or just average joe's?

Street fights look nothing like UFC and 9 times out of 10 a fat turd could manhandle a shredded manlet if neither of them can "fight"
>>
>>35206207
since trained fighters would likely involve agreed upon and trained-for movements, let's make this about yoru average joes, excepto one of them is average height but has been lifting for two years and the other dude is 6'3 or something and pretty fat.
>>
>>35206250
Lifter wins almost certainly.
>>
People who dont know how to fight usually just end up wrestling. In these scenarios the bigger guy will tpylically end up on top (in mount or side control). It dosnt really matert what your body fat level is in a street fight because they are usually a 20 sec shutout beatdown. However if the shredded guy was a little skilled in grappling, he could most like tire the fat fuck out a little bit then destroy him.

Basically big guys (even fat ones) punch harder because v = m a.
And they are typically harder to take down.
>>
File: 15MMA3-articleLarge.jpg (92 KB, 600x370) Image search: [Google]
15MMA3-articleLarge.jpg
92 KB, 600x370
>>35206089
>Length
Allows more mechanical transfer of power and longer reach.

>Weight
Increase the power, when shifting /. mechanically transferring power into strikes. All your power comes from your weight and technical skill into transferring that power into a strike.

>Grappling
Its more leverage, and weight/muscular/power you have to fight against or use for subs, throws or take downs. Good luck getting them off of you...

>Technical skill is the equal thing at the end of the day.
But if they are both equally skilled it goes to muscle, and height.

Body builder vs martial artist = martial artist wins.
>>
>be 6'4 lanklet (80kg)
>roll with 6'2 fat strong (120kg + dad strength)
>he gets a top position and lies down
> have to tap because there's no way I'm moving him
After getting better at grappling
>now competent enough to usually avoid him getting position and I can sub him

I'm a miles better striker than him but I'm still more defensive than usual because he hits like a fucking truck.
>>
>>35206250
>lifting for two years

that could mean anything but your average guy who has been lifting for two years is functionally not that much stronger than he would be if he didn't lift. the 6'3 fat guy, assuming it's just a brawl and not something involving running about will chuck the other guy all over the place. he's not going to be significantly slower than the smaller guy, and every action the fat guy does will involve a lot more momentum than the average guy. his punches will have more force behind them and he will be able to push the other guy around easily. plus padding counts for a lot if only fists are involved.

fat, taller guy will win 9/10 times if it's just your typical street fight
>>
>>35206089
Because fighters are assumed to already be skilled. The first few UFCs were without weightclasses and a lot of the time did come down to a big guy fucking up a smaller guy.

A fight between two randos of differing size will come down to their mentality (reluctance to engage, aggression, intelligent enough to develop a decent strategy) more than any of characteristics.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.