[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm sure you get questions about this all the time, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1448212500069.jpg (100 KB, 830x830) Image search: [Google]
1448212500069.jpg
100 KB, 830x830
I'm sure you get questions about this all the time, but I want to start running. I have some anxiety issues so I really don't feel comfortable with the idea of running before Midnight or 1 AM. Also, it's cold as fuck in PA right now.

Can you give me some advice for winter/night running or just running in general? What should my form be like? What pace should I be going?
>>
>>35200189
It's a horrible idea, frozen air on the lungs often is bad
>>
>>35200234
What, really. Running in winter in general or running at night in winter?
>>
>>35200189
>I really don't feel comfortable with the idea of running before Midnight or 1 AM

You need to fix your anxiety problems before you start running around the the middle of the fucking night.
>>
>>35200856
I feel like it'd be easier to get rid of my anxiety problems if I exercised, and ran and felt better that way instead of sitting around playing video games all day
>>
>>35200189
Running at night sounds cool in theory but I wouldn't go running in the middle of the night without a buddy. Is your neighbourhood relatively safe do you think?
>>
>>35200921
Yeah, it's pretty safe. It's a small town in rural PA. Never really hear about anything going down in it crime-wise. And it's not because it's cool, it's because I'm anxious at doing shit when people can see me, especially when it's athletic or yard-work related
>>
>>35200947
Do you have a track nearby you could go to? I may be wrong but in my eyes that would be safer than running around the neighbourhood. Also have you considered early morning runs?
>>
>>35200985
A track I could use at 1 AM? I'm not sure. I have considered it, but I'm late to sleep and late to wake up, and people are getting up to go to work from like 6 AM onward and that won't work for me
>>
>>35200985
Don't listen to this guy, night running is the shit. Gear can get expensive, but if you get the right shit you'll be fine. Get a headlamp, some warm running tights, a couple layers up top (some sort of spandex, some sort of long sleeved shirt, and maybe a jacket for when it's extra cold), gloves, a hat, and you're good to go.
>>
>>35201039
also maybe a light to clip on your back somewhere for extra safety
>>
>>35200999
I suppose if you know the risks, then running at night won't be so bad. Keep your phone on you of course. You're right about getting some exercise to make you feel better - works wonders, mentally and physically.

Another option would be to go to a 24 hour gym nearby, they're usually empty at night and you could use the treadmills there for cardio. Would be safer for sure (and warmer) unless you're tight on cash. I would definitely look into that though.

also >check'd
>>
Your local highschool should have a track
>>
>>35201039
I'm looking at running tights right now. They look sort of awkward. Would it be weird to wear some shorts over top of them?
>>
>>35201054
yea if there's lax security i'd just park in their student section and run there. unlikely anyone would notice
>>
>>35201063
Whatever you're the most comfortable with. I will say that more experienced runners might actually think it's weirder to wear shorts over tights.
>>
Buy a machine and run inside
Solved
>>
>>35200189

I run at night all the time, for the same reason actually. (I do live in a relatively nice neighborhood. I probably wouldn't do this otherwise.)

As far as pace, start slow. Just really as slow as you can go and still be technically "jogging". You'll know when you can bump it up.
>>
>>35200189
Don't believe these fatties. Just run. If it's cold and uncomfortable, use a treadmill. Craigslist $60.

>mah joints
Humans were built for running, your joints will adapt from the sofa.
>too much running is bad for your health
If you can't run two continuous miles, you're out of shape
>running kills gains
Shut the fuck up, fatass
>>
Just buy spandex and a running hoodie/pants. Gloves are probably necessary when it's below freezing. People recommend wool socks but I haven't used them personally. Definitely get a headlamp or something.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.