[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Realistically, how much protein do I need per day? I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: bizarro-vegan-gorilla-comics1.gif (100 KB, 385x458) Image search: [Google]
bizarro-vegan-gorilla-comics1.gif
100 KB, 385x458
Realistically, how much protein do I need per day? I don't count macros, I'm not trying to build muscle, but I am very athletic and compete in submission grappling.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that 1g per pound or kg body weight are both ridiculously unnecessary.

I see vegans on straight fruit only diets who are shredded.
>>
File: 1449455784753.jpg (104 KB, 645x960) Image search: [Google]
1449455784753.jpg
104 KB, 645x960
>>35199850
You need .8 grams per pound of lean body mass. Lazy so im not citing sources but thats the truth.
>>
>>35199891
I don't eat nearly that much protein and I feel fine.
>>
>>35199940
Im must saying thats the optimal amount and limit for noticing results anything over wont help. And thats not that much, how much would you say you get?
>>
>>35199991
Like..30g at best.
>>
>>35199891
>>35199991
This, noone ever in whole human history has needed more than 150g
>>
>>35200011
I eat 250g a day
But I'm 6'9"
>>
>>35200030
Maybe you'd get the same results from 150g?
>>
>>35200007
Post pic to show us you arent dyel
>>35200030
No ones is saying you cant but the limit of results occurs at that limit, anything over that has no effect.
>>
>>35199891
It's actually 0.7g/kg of bodyweight. The fitness industry grossly exaggerates the true necessary value to unattainable levels to encourage people to buy their worthless protein powders.

Don't fall for the bullshit.
>>
>>35200057
>>35200062
Do u not think the limit changes with height tho?
>>
>>35199850

1g per pound is bullshit. IF you are a working out like a bodybuilder you can use up to .82 grams per pound, and some studies say that even less, like .65 or some shit.

>Straight fruit only diets and shredded
Who? How do you know they are eating only fruit? Also there are micronutrients that can't be found in fruit, you'd need at least legumes, grains and some supps
>>
>>35200007
30 grams a day? That's too low

>>35200030
250 grams a day? That's too much.
>>
>>35200079
Your number is under, im not sure where youre getting those numbers from but mine are backed with science and the clear agreement on this site.
>>35200083
No why would it? its based on bodyweight how much you need so how would height affect the limit?
>>
>>35200062
I am DYEL, I don't lift, I train mixed martial arts and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Still athletic though.
>>
>>35199850

Gorillas do actually eat small amounts of meat.

Their huge stomachs give the vegetables time to break down further.

Their labyrinthine and complex intestines, much longer than ours, have gut flora (much different than ours) that breaks down cellulose in a way we just can't (ie derives protein from it)
>>
>>35200158
Oh ok, not attacking you just curious. Since you are not actually trying to build large amounts of muscle as most people here are i honestly dont know what g/lb ratio is best for you. Eating as much protein as we do probably wouldnt hurt you though.
>>
>>35200154
Well it does change with bodyweight right?
I'm about 250 pounds, so would 200g suffice?
>>
i try to get 1g/lb of lean body mass, but i usually eat more because i'm trying to maintain as much muscle mass as possible while cutting. hopefully i'm not fucking up my kidneys. my last bloodwork was largely fine, but my blood urea nitrogen levels were a little elevated
>>
>>35200154

CSCS says .8g/kg bodyweight assuming that caloric intake is at least maintenance.

I could get out the book and find the studies for you but really fuck you.
>>
>>35199850
Are you a top or a bottom anon?

Per kg? You think that is ridiculous? That isn't that much anon. Probably close to what you need if you are very active.

Pic related: A top
>>
>Gorillas do actually eat small amounts of meat.
Not on purpose.
>Their huge stomachs give the vegetables time to break down further.
No.
>Their labyrinthine and complex intestines, much longer than ours
It's the same relative to body size.
>have gut flora (much different than ours) that breaks down cellulose in a way we just can't (ie derives protein from it)
No. It's very similar. Secondly, cellulose is a sugar, not a protein. Thirdly, the only creature with bacteria capable of digesting cellulose for energy are termites.

Biology/Chemistry graduate here.
>>
>>35200007

What the fuck are you doing nigga, cardio athletes are even recommended to be getting like .5 to .7g per kg bodyweight.

You're probably actively hurting your athletic performance.
>>
>>35200228
>Biology/Chemistry graduate

you really dual-majored in bio and chem?
>>
>>35200223
Definitely bottom.
>>
File: FuckYou.png (33 KB, 420x301) Image search: [Google]
FuckYou.png
33 KB, 420x301
>>35200187
Dude figure out your lean body mass and multiply that by .8, pretty simple. But yes it may be around there since you are so heavy.
>>35200212
CSCS? Who or what is that, are you talking about the certification? I quote "The picture below summarizes the literature. As you can see, 1.8g/kg (0.82g/lb) is the point at which additional protein intake ceases to yield any benefits." Pic related faggot.
>>
>>35200228

Welp, I can tell you aren't a bio major, that is for certain. I'd do some research on the digestive system of mainly herbivore primates vs more carnivorous persuasions. I mean, unless you're trying to troll on purpose.
>>
>>35200212
>implying your stupid certification means anything
>>
>>35200245
Worse. I went for a bio degree, and towards the end I realized I hated biology, but it was too late to quit so I finished it. I enjoyed my chemistry classes much more. Then, because I had so many chemistry I decided to spend just 2 more years for a chemistry degree (instead of 4 years.) Either way, I'm happy, managed to find a great job!
>>
>>35200263

That is a great graph. Where is it from and what research supports it?
>>
>>35200265
>2015
>Not realizing that humans are herbivore primates.
kek
>>
>>35200263
This is wrong damm
Endurance athletes actually need more protein than anyother.
Do people believe that, even a 300kg squat makes more muscular damage than cycling for ages?
>>
>>35200279

They can be, if they know how to eat very specifically for it. We're not equipped well to be strict herbivores and you know it, quit trolling.
>>
>>35200270
i read you. i was pre-pharmacy for a year and a half before i realized i fucking hated the biology classes and loved the chemistry (bio seemed like too much pure memorization where chemistry was learning equations and principles then applying them), so i switched to chemical engineering. had to take a victory lap after my 4th year, but i graduate in about 5 months and already have a job lined up for when i'm done.
>>
>>35200276
http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
I literally googled "optimal protein intake" and thats the first result but all the links and research say the same thing, you know why, cause its the truth. That other faggot CSCS bull shitter can go fuck himself.
>>35200289
So you are smarter and know more than the scientists who did these studies? Are you saying that endurance athletes need more than strength athletes?
>>
File: 1.jpg (534 KB, 1263x575) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
534 KB, 1263x575
>>35199850
>see vegans on straight fruit only diets who are shredded

L l A R S

l

A

R

S

>See pic

>Vegikucks are fooIing /fit/

This pIace reaIIy is getting that bad.
>>
>>35200239
Well, shit.

I feel fine, though. I'll try getting more protein. Will return with results of whether it helped my performance or not. Can't hurt.
>>
>>35200267

Study materials from the NSCA are based on pretty good research, probably the only organization that knows really anything about serious athletic training.
>>
>>35200297
That's hilarious, I work at a pharmaceutical company now! Shit is so cash. Good luck chem-brah
>>
>>35200279
>>35200228
Guess you better go back to uni then, I refuse to believe a Bio grad can be this dumb.
Was it a really shitty state school?
>>
File: 1443648839479.png (1 MB, 934x682) Image search: [Google]
1443648839479.png
1 MB, 934x682
>>35200252
Absolutely disgusting. I can't figure out why people prefer bottom.

On top you have more submissions and your weight.
>>
CSCS faggot here. I meant to say 1.8g/KG body-weight for weight training individuals assuming sufficient caloric intake.

I have a fever of 101.5 and I'm delirious.
>>
>>35200315
They are like 15 years behind bro. I've seen their materials, get their journal, and have been to their headquarters for presentations (pretty nice facility).
>>
>>35199850
.5-.6 / lb of bw

so 70-90
>>
>>35200355
Did you cry a little after you realized how wrong you were? Better late than never i suppose.
see >>35200263
>>
>>35200311

by the way that is 1.4-1.7g/kg bodyweight for endurance athletes, i'm near death and unable to think properly.
>>
>>35200349
Do you train at a more traditional school?

Ours is very modern with heavy focus on good leg locks.

That's not to say we don't have incredibly passing and top game, but we seem to go for leg locks a lot more than most schools, and it's a huge advantage.

Do you know Garry Tonon or Edward Cummings?
>>
>>35200369

No I just wondered how the fuck I forgot the 1 in front of all those numbers while wiping the sweat off of my face between chills and smelling how bad my swamp ass in this computer chair smells.
>>
>>35200393
Because youre a disgusting loser who should go take a shower rather than sit in and smell your own ass.
>>35200376
>>35200311
>>35200239
See >>35200263
>>
>>35200263
>the point at which additional protein intake ceases to yield any benefits
>tfw protein has diminishing returns
>tfw cant increase dps this way
>>
>>35200411

Fuck off faggot I'm sick. At least I'm not sitting on the computer being a condescending prick to other random individuals on the internet.

That graph is in arbitrary units based on rough estimates evidently. Still I think the numbers are in the ballpark. Grats on your google skills.
>>
>>35200418
DPS?
>>35200449
You are absolutely right I am being condescending, maybe its because you said this to me "Don't fall for the bullshit" and "I could get out the book and find the studies for you but really fuck you." and i ended up being correct. So excuse me if i like rubbing dogs faces in the piles of shit they leave on my carpet.
>>
If you're just trying to live anywhere between 20-60 grams should be fine. Gaining mass/strength I would say like 90-180 depending on the person, however you get guys like Jesse Norris who aim to eat 300g per day. So take that as you will
>>
>>35200379
I guess you could say it's traditional in that my coach has been doing it for longer than pretty much anyone. And that his training partners were getting booed in competition for doing leg locks.
>>
>>35199850
Actually gorillas do eat meat. Like small mammals and insects.

I actually chuckled because I thought there was going to be another part where the gorilla eats that little weasel looking fucker then goes back to eating his vegetables and insects and what not.
>>
>>35199850

gorillas and chimps eat meat. Its a fairly new discovery.

They are brutal as fuck about it and will eat smaller apes alive
>>
>>35200379
>leglocks modern

Hey, you're like CSCS guy! Decades behind the curve yet you think you're on cutting edge!

Are you guys perhaps the same person? That would be even more amusing for me.
>>
>>35200616
Do...do you think they mutter about apelets and when will they learn as they are eating them?
>>
Ok one no one gives a shit about vegans because there retarded and 2 you dont need alot of protein unless your cutting which is equally as retarded unless your competing. If u wanna build muscle just try to get as much protein as you would carbs. Simple as that f@m
>>
>>35200171
This. Screencap this post and spam it to veganfags pushing their bullshit.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.