[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit/, professional trucker here. Need serious advice on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: 20151209_212408.jpg (68 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
20151209_212408.jpg
68 KB, 640x480
Hey /fit/, professional trucker here. Need serious advice on losing weight while on the road. Days are long, usually work 14-16 hours daily. So finding time is difficult. Money is also an issue, so joining a gym would cause more of an issue. For those interested, my stats are
32 years, 6 feet, 353 lbs.
At the very least i want to get down to around 300. Physically I'm pretty strong (i haul flatbed trailers, so constantly throwing chains). I just cant get the weight down. Picture related, its me.
>>
>>35199270

In your case, proper dieting is the only way to go.
What do you eat on a typical day and do you sleep home every night ?
>>
snack healthy while driving,
dont let yourself get super hungry and binge,
count calories religiously,
start your mornings with a run
>>
>>35199295
Food is definitely one of my problems, truck stops tend to cater to the burgers and shit like that. The average cost for a salad bar is around 12 dollars, where a burger and fries is half that. Im not home nightly. Gone for most/all week. Home late friday very early saturday and gone sunday evening or first thing monday.
>>
>>35199320
Im incredibly out of shape, how far (distance or time) should i start with?
>>
>>35199335
15 min at a healthy jog should do good. Eat something healthy afterwards, like nuts or a banana
>>
What about meals throughout the day? (Breakfast l, lunch, dinner?) What do i steer towards or away from? Obviously the burgers and fries have to stop, but what about places like subway?
>>
>>35199438
>>35199438
Subway ain't a bad place to start. Just make sure you're counting calories religiously. Keep a tiny notebook with you at all times and jot down how many calories you're eating. After awhile you'll get a better handle on how much to eat. As a fat fuck, I guarantee you're eating more than you think. Good on you for wanting to improve yourself!
Personally I eat nuts since they're awful and it's hard for me to eat too many. I feel full after a small handful.
>>
>>35199322
Can't you go to fast food joints that serve decent food like Chipotle or something instead of diners? I know you're up at odd hours but I feel like the food will last. Don't they sell in-truck mini fridges too?
>>
>>35199504
Ok, how about caloric intake? Where should i be?
>>
>>35199504
What he said.Count calories. If you have a smart phone, there are tonnes of free apps.

You can also try keeping some shake powder with you. Vega is really good quality. You can buy small tubs and most places will have samples that you can have too. (Do note that it's kind of an acquired taste.)

Best of luck!
>>
>>35199523
They do sell mini friges, but they're expensive. I stay away from the diners, the cost sky rockets in there. Cost of meal + tip + time spent there = way more than i can afford.
>>
>>35199270
my dad is a trucker op. i've been on the road with him many times. honestly, i don't care how many chains you sling, the reality is you're sitting in a chair, holding a steering wheel virtually all the time. that means your caloric needs are very very low. that of a person sitting in a chair all day long.

basically you need to go on a severe caloric restriction. don't use any of that weight loss shit they sell at the truck stops either, it's only going to hurt you, and you could pick up bad habits. i'm talking about Stackers and the like.

basically you should probably go keto. and drink metamucil to keep your fiber intake up. make sure you're having one good poop every morning.

maybe run around the truck and trailer 50 times or so every evening once you get your energy back up during keto.
>>
>>35199533
There's a million calculators online that come with meal tracker apps. I used the Livestrong Myplate for a long time. MyFitnessPal is pretty popular too.
>>
>>35199270
Dear OP. I cut 40 pounds in a month (260 now). Drink water. Eat about 1000 calories per day. These faggots are gonna hate, but results are results.
>>
>>35199539
Thanks, i appreciate the advice and help. Notes have been taken tonight, and i will be following them.
>>
File: asspress.webm (1 MB, 450x234) Image search: [Google]
asspress.webm
1 MB, 450x234
>>35199322

Alright well if I were you and money was tight, this is what I would put in my truck cabin before leaving for a week:

>about 3 gallons of water (only drink water or coffee. zero cal soda would be acceptable in your case since you're 350 lbs)
>a 24-pack of tuna cans (low sodium/low fat sardines are also ok)
>a shitload of fruits that won't go bad quickly (apples for example)
>a 2-3 kg of nuts (almonds preferably, no bbq peanuts or that kind of stuff)
>vegetables that can last a while (you could buy a 5lb bag of carrots and some sweet potatoes, eat them raw)
>vegetables that don't last a while that shall be eaten the 1st 2 days of your trip (tomatoes, cucumbers)
>you could also buy some cheap protein and/or meal replacement bars. They're not idea, but then again you're 350lbs so that's fine

If you smoke (like most truckers), keep on smoking. Drink as much water as possible (perhaps get some sort of pissing empty protein container in case you can't stop and need to take a piss). Your biggest challenge will obviously be to stay away from the truck stop restaurants and vending machines. You may reward yourself daily with a single SMALL chocolate bar or bag of chips, considering they're only 300kcals which isn't that whole lot for a 350 pound man).

This whole thing will definately challenge your willpower if you're used to junk food and burgers, because the diet I proposed is indeed very ''boring''. Just remember to take it one day at a time. Weight yourself every time you come home and use this as a motivation.
Good luck
>>
>>35199322
doesn't matter what you eat.
only how many calories you eat of it (Speaking strictly for weight loss, ideally you want a certain amount of protein for muscle preservation, carbs and fats for proper hormone function etc)

you can lose weight on nothing but mcdonalds and twinkies, if you so choose.

just only eat 1800 kcal of that shit a day, and lose ALL the weight.
>>
>>35199523
If he is a on the highway there aren't many chipotles out in the middle of nowhere.

I worked oilfield and many of the truckstops had a subway. I like the chopped salad with chicken.
>>
>>35199598
>eating sweet potatoes raw

pretty good advice otherwise though
>>
>>35199568
Do you have a microwave and fridge in your truck? My dad has been a trucker for ten years and my mom makes food in bulk and freezes it for him. He does have the occasional burger here and there but he mostly eats what Mom packs. He also takes fruit and sunflower seeds to snack on.
>>
>>35199598
enjoy your mercury poisoning.

limit tuna to thee servings per week, MAXIMUM.

salmon has a low bioaccumulation of mercury, and is relatively safe in comparison.
>>
>>35199533
You want to eat 200 - 500 calories under maintenance. Honestly at 350+ you can probably stand to go bigger than that but its all about finding something that works for you. Make healthy choices regularly. Opt for unsweet tea instead of soda. No cheese on whatever that is. Is it fried? Pick something else.

There is good information on the sticky about losing weight and calories in calories out
>>
>>35199598
Non smoker. Cant stand cigarettes or cigars. The shopping list is a HUGE help.
>>
Trucking can be terrible on your back. Make sure you are sitting with a good posture when you can. I would also suggest doing some sort of stretching routing in the morning and when fueling up if you can.
>>
>>35199646
Hey. Go ahead and starve yourself for 2 or 3 days. Then eat light. It will kill your appetite. Gum will also keep you away from food.
>>
>>35199626

I know tuna cans aren't ideal, but he mentionned money was an issue. Besides, at 350lbs he's got bigger issues than mercury poisoning. They wouldn't sell that shit if eating one can a day caused you to die within a few years
>>
Hey OP, here's the best advice you're gonna get in this thread that no one will tell you. Change your fucking job. You weigh 353 pounds at 6' and you sit on your ass 16 hours and your only activity involves shoving shit in your face. Wtf is wrong with you. You clearly don't have money since you struggle with buying salads so your not trucking for the money. So quit that shit job and work at mcdonalds or some shit. At least you'd go home to your own bed every night, you get a free meal, and your standing up for 8 hours.

>tl;dr how can I become healthy while living an unhealthy lifestyle
you can't
>>
>>35199673
Believe it or not, I've tried the "starvation diet". By the end of the first day, i was literally sick. (Fever, vomit, shakes)
>>
File: normies reee.jpg (48 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
normies reee.jpg
48 KB, 750x750
>>35199626
Actually, Tuna has a fuckton of selenium which binds Mercury and makes it inert in your body.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20561558
>>
>>35199698
Fair enough. I'm looking to change it up. I have tow and repo exp, but that pays less than this does.
>>
>>35199270
walk, don't run. in fact, don't even walk.

if you start calorie counting accurately (try Lose It or MapMyFitness apps) it will suck pretty bad for 72 hours, but after that you will have adapted to fewer calories.

stick to breakfast foods too, oatmeal, fruit, black coffee, eggs, toast. think about it like this: if all you ate all day was plain oatmeal, how much could you really even overeat? this is obviously an extreme example cause you need some protein, and some fat, but keep your calories coming from low-GI carbohydrates and it'll make your life easier. stuff that digests slowly will even out hunger hormones, will keep your stomach fuller, you'll shit more regularly.

the other issue is entrees. if you're on the road, it's hard to come by (and potentially expensive) to land grilled or baked chicken that doesn't come on a salad or in a sandwich. this is tough, but the drier the meat the better. fried on a griddle is bad, deep fried is bad, breaded and fried is bad. basically you'll find once you're near a normal weight is that these foods digest too fast, so you're hungrier fast and you've eaten less food. most grill chains, like Chili's, Applebee's, you can ask for a chicken breast, grilled.

eat that, chew it up real good, then get some beans. you want like 3:1 carbs to protein, and then a bit of fat just to even things out (it's inevitable, unless you're doing something wrong).

so in a day
breakfast:
as much oatmeal as you can possibly stomach ~600kcal
some fruit cause you are too big of a wimp to eat oatmeal completely plain
~150kcal

lunch:
chicken breast, grilled
~140kcal
2 cups of baked beans
~500kcal
a can of spinach cause you're fuckin' popeye
~105kcal

dinner:
chicken breast, baked
~140kcal
1 cup baked beans
~250kcal
bowl of oatmeal
~300kcal

2185 kcal total. this will lose you weight real good
>>
>>35199716
>>
op your picture makes me really sad for some reason. are you okay, man?

captcha: commercial trucks
>>
>>35199715
I'm actually really surprised by that. People who are stuck in a rut usually have rationalized it to the point of being defensive about their choices. It's like they have stockholm syndrome to their shitty job. At least you realize it. good job
>>
>>35199716
You got me I the oatmeal. However I'm at the point where i need to do this, and i have pretty good will power. So I'll at least give it a shot. I love fruit, i just don't trust what the truck stops offer. I'll be home in a few days, a trip to Wal-Mart is definitely in my near future.
>>
>>35199270
Kegels. All day every day. Thousands, no millions of kegels.
You may not lose weight, but you will have fucking epic ejaculations.
>>
File: chickencan.jpg (10 KB, 257x196) Image search: [Google]
chickencan.jpg
10 KB, 257x196
>>35199673

good. like other anon mentionned though, perhaps 24cans of tuna will be a bit too much mercury if you eat several every day. try to get cans of salmon instead (they are more expensive however), or any canned meat such as picrelated. Btw everything I mentionned, you can eat at will, just keep in mind nuts do pack a lot of calories, so don't make them your main source of food. Vegetables, fruits and (canned) meat should be the things you eat the most, in that order
>>
>>35199753
Just a little tired. Long day, almost 700 miles driven today. Aside from that, I'm doing as well as can be expected. Although i thank you for your concern.
>>
>>35199757
For someone coming to /fit for advice, op is pretty open minded. I'm used to dumbasses asking for help and rejecting it because 'reasons.'
Good luck bro and whatever changes you make, make changes that you can stick with. Even if they're small. I've seen tons of people crash diet and lose track since they can't maintain the austerity. Small changes you can live with are the best. Once you're used to it, take it up a notch. Repeat till zyzz.
>>
>>35199784
Holy shit, thanks for that. I got a really good laugh out of it.
>>
>>35199823
There's no point in asking for help if you're going to shoot it down. I'm here because I've looked like this my whole life and I'm tired of it. this needs to stop, and i didn't know where else to turn.

Unfortunately /fit/
I do need to get some sleep. i have taken notes, and will be stopping back in periodically. Hopefully with pictures showing some kind of improvement. Thank you all for your kind words and advice.
>>
>>35199753

OP looks pretty cool tbph. I'd play gears of war online with him
>>
>>35199270

you work 14-16hours a day and you have money issues where you can't even afford a monthly gym pass?

Quit your fucken job mate. wtf are you wasting your life for.

>also 353lbs

maybe you have money issues cause you spend $1000 dollars on food per month?
>>
>>35199701
fuck man... i hate these posts
"SO LIT BRO 4REAL SENPAI ON MOMS"
>>
>>35199909
Actually money is an issue because i have a wife and 3 Kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a mortgage, car payment, credit card, and the usual monthly bills.
>>
>>35199270

Really, yeah, as other anons have said, diet. It sounds like you probably get enough exercise as part of your job.

Do you have your own rig? Like could you buy a week's worth of good food before you head out and keep it in a cooler or something? Could you get a little hot plate?

I'm having good luck with low carb/keto. Basically, as long as it's: egg, meat, cheese, green veggies, or almonds, eat up. Stay away from all sugar and starchy vegetables such as potatoes, and fruit.
>>
>>35199962
>Stay away from all sugar and starchy vegetables such as potatoes, and fruit.

OP don't listen to this poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNJNqVOmthE
>>
>>35199978

For low carb/keto (which is what I said) then yes, do listen to me. Otherwise, just count calories or whatever, sure.
>>
>>35199934

What do you eat every day? I assume truck stop food and fast food. If that's the case, have that wife make you some food for the road, not funions and chili dogs.
>>
>>35199578
>these faggots are gonna hate on information that is literally the same as what they've said
>>
I remember seeing some thing that aggregates free gym trials, so you could go to fund for free while traveling. Look it up.
>>
>>35199270
I wish you the best of luck OP
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.