[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
YOUR OWN GYM AT HOME
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: 1449521145490.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
1449521145490.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Who has their own gym at home? Share tips.

I intend to buy a power rack, a barbell, a bench, and weights. My only concern right now is that I am not sure I'll have enough room in my apartment, and having it in the living room may prove a problem.

It's a bit of an investment but it's comparable to a one-year subscription to an actual gym, all equipment included. So it's worth it. Now that I've been doing dumbbells for close to a year, I'm confident that I won't give up and so it's time to invest and get the right material.

Post your home gyms! Here's one from anon who said this was all that was needed.
>>
How does a power come? I mean, is it one big fucking box?

Also, how long does it take to set up and undo?
>>
https://youtu.be/ECsROm2UHqY

This video: /fit/ builds a gym in his garage (and keks ensue).
>>
>>35193740

What's the size of these mats? Dimension-wise. I want to know.
>>
>>35193740
>Who has their own gym at home?

I do anon and it's fucking glorious. I can watch netflix while I do squatz. It's like a man cave that gives you gains. The only downside is that there are no qt's to flirt with.

>I intend to buy a power rack, a barbell, a bench, and weights. My only concern right now is that I am not sure I'll have enough room in my apartment, and having it in the living room may prove a problem.

This is what I have, I have a 2-car garage and I can fit both my cars (one a compact, one a minivan) in plus my eq, with enough room to deadlift in between the rack and the compact car. It really doesn't take up much space. The only issue you might have is, I have a concrete floor so I can drop my bar (got bumper plates to prevent damage) without fucking the floor up (or the bar/plates).

>It's a bit of an investment but it's comparable to a one-year subscription to an actual gym, all equipment included

Well mine all in was about $1500 (rack with chin-up bar, 550lbs of bumper plates, weights, bar, bench, collars), which is a lot more than a 1y gym sub, but it's worth it to me because it simply saves me so much time. No driving to gym, no wait for eq, I can wear what I like, etc.

>>35193777
>How does a power come? I mean, is it one big fucking box? Also, how long does it take to set up and undo?

Mine came in a series of smaller boxes. Took like an hour to set up, no problem really.

Good luck anon, you'll never look back.
>>
I just built my own, cost a pretty penny because I didn't have access to used shit via craigslist, nothing in my area.

>flat bench
>barbell
>five pairs of 45s, one pair of 25s
>one set of "change plates" (10, 5, 2.5, 1.25lb pairs)
>collars
>squat stand, barebones as fuck

got it from mdusa because they had a) good reviews b) free shipping and c) 15% christmas coupon. set me back just about $1100

gyms in my area are upwards of $600 per year and have much worse equipment. it's only a couple weeks of pay and I expect to get many years out of it. only real issue is that my deadlift is already at 4.5pl8 so I might have to get more weights soon.
>>
File: 1298744248459.png (14 KB, 497x501) Image search: [Google]
1298744248459.png
14 KB, 497x501
>>35194404
>I do anon and it's fucking glorious. I can watch netflix while I do squatz. It's like a man cave that gives you gains.
>>
>>35194404
>The only issue you might have is, I have a concrete floor so I can drop my bar (got bumper plates to prevent damage) without fucking the floor up (or the bar/plates).

Yep, wooden floor, apartment. Maybe I can rely on the rack's bars for most exercises. Maybe I can buy stuff to deaden the impact. Rolled up mats maybe?
>>
>>35194404
>Well mine all in was about $1500 (rack with chin-up bar, 550lbs of bumper plates, weights, bar, bench, collars), which is a lot more than a 1y gym sub, but it's worth it to me because it simply saves me so much time. No driving to gym, no wait for eq, I can wear what I like, etc.

About the same for me, although gyms are this expensive here, one more reason to create my own.

Here's what anon advised me to get:
-------------------------------------------------
https://www.strengthshop.ch/

Get the bastard bar

https://www.strengthshop.ch/bars-hantelstangen/olympische-bastard-langhantel-20-kg-mit-zentraler-randelung.html

Power Rack

https://www.strengthshop.ch/strength-equipment-sport-kraftgeraete/power-racks/power-rack-cage.html

A pair of cast iron 20's, 15's, 10's, 5's, 2.5's and 1.25's (1s, 0.5s and 0.25s if you want to make meaningful OHP progress).

That's a pretty damn good start for a home gym. If there's one thing you should NOT save money on, it's a barbell. Go cheaper on the rack and weights if you want, but DO NOT get a cheap barbell. They suck dick and you will end up wanting a better one. The one I linked is a very good barbell for the price.
----------------------

I saved his post.
>>
>>35194505
>Maybe I can buy stuff to deaden the impact. Rolled up mats maybe?

Yeah if I were you I would look into rubber floor mats, and bumper plates to spread the force of the impact over a larger area. My work set on deads is 390 and even bumper plates make a fucking hell of a noise on the floor. I actually have a mat on top of the concrete to prevent the rubber plates rubbing off on the floor and fucking up my plates.

>>35194520

>it's a barbell. Go cheaper on the rack and weights if you want, but DO NOT get a cheap barbell. They suck dick and you will end up wanting a better one. The one I linked is a very good barbell for the price.

I would go further and say buy good quality plates as well. This is because cheap plates are often badly weighted (I've heard Dick's sporting goods' piece of shit 45lb plates can be off by as much as 5lbs), the hole is often a bad fit on the barbell sleeve, which will fuck up the nice expensive bar, and cheap plates aren't as durable. Shit quality bumper plates sometimes can have the metal ring torn out, too.

Good quality plates will last you a lifetime and keeps a good deal of its resale value if that's what you are looking to do. I bought my shit new for $1500, because buying used stuff on craigslist wouldn't have saved me much.
>>
>>35194479
I do the same but naked with a mirror in front of me and one behind me

oh the laughs
>>
trained at home for 5 years
was given a new job offer 1500 miles away
couldn't take the gym with me so i sold it
found a powerlifting gym in my city
best gym i've been at
great people with a solid goal of hitting up some powerlifting on a tuesday
every once in a while i'll have the gym to myself due to people not coming out to train, its quite cold out here sometimes and most people would rather stay in, love having the gym to myself,
>>
I'm too poor to buy anything really beyond food and can't go to the gym. What can I do to create makeshift weights or how would I set up a workout that isn't just pure cardio.
>>
>>35194783
don't think i could ever go back to training alone, its kind of boring and unsatisfying to just sit there in your garage and train, i would rather hit up a quality gym maybe find a solid training partner and train + chill
>>
>>35194718
>I would go further and say buy good quality plates as well. This is because cheap plates are often badly weighted (I've heard Dick's sporting goods' piece of shit 45lb plates can be off by as much as 5lbs), the hole is often a bad fit on the barbell sleeve, which will fuck up the nice expensive bar, and cheap plates aren't as durable. Shit quality bumper plates sometimes can have the metal ring torn out, too.

Good to know. Weights here are expensive, like really expensive, is this normal? We're big on quality in my country, Switzerland, so this may be why. I can only hope so.
>>
I don't want to sound like a superiorist douche here, but I don't ever want to go to a public gym ever again. Went to one last week, and experienced the following
>Had to wait for a squat rack
>When I did get it, there were no plates to be found
>Plates I did find were in a horrible condition
>Some guy was just passively standing behind me and staring at me while I did my squats
>Same thing repeats itself while I waited for a bench
>And again when I was due to do deadlifts
The only plus I found was the number of dumbbells, but that's not as cool as it sounds since I only use those for relatively light fluff exercises.
I also didn't see anyone getting hyped with a pre-PR wank, spitting on the floor or shouting obscenities, nor was there any good music blaring, and I felt like I constantly had to keep an eye on my gym bag to keep people from stealing from it. Oh, and I only got a day pass at the gym, but if I had signed up for a membership, I'd have to sign some bullshit agreement about agreeing to some random steroid testing dickbaggery. Not that I roid, but if I did, I figure it's not really the gym's problem.
And maybe it was just the atmosphere or something, but their plates felt light as fuck.

I did get some free mires because I needed a 2.5 plate and could only find technique bumper plates, so people thought I was deadlifting 240 kg rather than 195.
>>
>>35194969
>agreeing to some random steroid testing

wtf what gym is this?
>>
>>35194990
probably sweden
>>
>>35194795
Calisthenics can be effective, but will take longer than barbell training to produce results. Read Convict Conditioning (the whole thing), and you should have a few very good exercises to work with, a program with a clear progression plan, and a bunch of supplemental exercises you can do. At most, you might find yourself wanting to invest in a pull-up bar, which should not be very expensive at all. Brotip: If you start out fat (Like I did), don't be afraid of the fucking pullups (Like I was). The program starts you off at toddler-level, and before long you'll have progressed to doing at least a few good reps.
>>
>>35193740
Powerline? I have the same rack.
>>
>>35194990
Some gym I forget the name of in Trondheim, Norway. I think all powerlifting clubs (At least the ones recognised by the Norwegian IPF affiliate) do the same thing. I think my old public gym had it in the contract too, but the owner was a lazy cunt anyway and didn't even mention it.
I think it's just something the owners do so that when crab mentality normies call steroids on some dude, he'll make it seem like he gives a shit, and he gets to watch your dick when you take a piss in a test jar or whatever it is you have to do.
>>
>>35194757
>I do the same but naked with a mirror in front of me and one behind me

>army of naked buff dudes squatting away
>>
>>35194795

Look around the internet, there are websites on how to create your own equipment from junkyard stuff and wood and whatnot.

What you need is pretty basic and can be made. Don't lose hope.
>>
>>35194876

Strength shop make good cast iron plates if you plan to get the rest of your stuff from there.

2" diameter Olympic plates are expensive pretty much anywhere, yeah. If you want a shock, look up how much a single eleiko/werksan training bumper plate costs. Crazy.
>>
>35194969
>Some guy was just passively standing behind me and staring at me while I did my squats

This is why I can't do public gyms. I'm an introvert, and working out is like masturbation: I'd never do it in front of anyone except my woman.
>>
>>35194969
>I'd have to sign some bullshit agreement about agreeing to some random steroid testing dickbaggery.

Which shithole is this? Whose business is it if you do steroids? I'm against them but it's private business.
>>
>>35194969
>but their plates felt light as fuck.

I wouldn't put it past a gym to cheat the plates to make you feel like you're improving when you're not.
>>
>>35195071

Not my gym. Does it have a pullup bar?

Do pullup bars have the chin up shit too?
>>
>>35195124

Man. I am not a fan of roids but that is some intrusive shit. Never seen that in an American gym.
>>
>>35194876
>Weights here are expensive, like really expensive, is this normal? We're big on quality in my country, Switzerland, so this may be why. I can only hope so.

They're relatively cheap in the US. Like I mentioned before, I got 550lbs of plates and the rest of the eq for about $1500, and this was all new, good quality stuff (http://www.repfitness.com/ in Denver). I did get this when they were doing a deal on a combo (bench, cage, bar and about 250lbs of bumper plates), but bought the rest of the plates individually.
>>
>>35193740
>>35193740

Bought a power cage and flat bench. Fucking A.

I love it man. It fits just enough in my room in the apartment. I lost some space but I got all I need here now.

I finally have my own cage. I'm so freakin happy /fit/
>>
>>35195406

I'd get excited if I could believe it'll happen. For some reason, I can't believe it.

Think me retarded, but I think God did it. Seriously, some time ago, I was accidentally paid twice for a job, and literally received exactly the amount of money I'd need for a home gym. (The people who accidentally paid me twice fucked me over in the past, and still owe me more than this, and will never pay it back, so I have no moral dilemma over keeping the money and I'm right with the law, I checked).

It really feels like Christmas. It'd be the real start of things for me, after 8 months of lifting DB and getting a good grounding.

I got stronger than I ever was and I can feel it. It's like an exoskeleton: I can lift chairs with a single hand and it's easy, whereas I used to shake doing this in the past. I love it.
>>
Guys, I'm concerned I won't have enough room in my apartment.

There's a spot that fits almost exactly the dimensions, but there's only half of that place where I could lift a bar, that is, half of the rack would be fully usable.

Can you lift within that space?

>concerned
>>
How long does it take to set up and remove?

If I have it in the living room, I'd have to remove it when we have guests and such.
>>
In meters, how much of a rectangle would be needed? I mean, for the whole thing to be feasible.

>dimensions
>1450x1690x2150
>barbell is 2200
>>
>>35195951
>How long does it take to set up and remove?

About an hour

>If I have it in the living room, I'd have to remove it when we have guests and such.

and miss the chance to receive 'mires from your guests?
>>
>>35196133

True.

I'm considering asking my awesome mom to sew me curtains and shit to add on the rack when not in use, so my woman doesn't mind the rack so much if it looks like a little room on its own. Maybe put her a desk in it.
>>
File: 2015-08-09_15.03.20.jpg (144 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-09_15.03.20.jpg
144 KB, 1080x1080
20qm with tv and couch
>>
>>35196245

>dat flag

I like you.
>>
>>35196133
>and miss the chance to receive 'mires from your guests?

Thing is, right now, I don't look like I work out much. I made progress, yes, but I'm not at the stage where people would be impressed, at all. It would more look like one of those guys who buy stuff but don't do anything with it.
>>
>>35196245
How much does this setup cost? Looks awesome
>>
>>35196245
>checkered floor
>clean equipment
10/10 home gym brah
>>
>>35196997

From what people says, bar and all, around 1500 bucks.
>>
>>35196245
what are those dumbells
>>
File: Home gym.jpg (578 KB, 1540x1220) Image search: [Google]
Home gym.jpg
578 KB, 1540x1220
>>35196245
I think we might have the same rack, bro.
How are you liking the cable attachment? I have considered buying one for mine, but I'm not sure if it'd get in the way when I rack/unrack my squats.

>>35197062
Looks like Bowflex Selecttech something or other.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.