[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any of you fellas train/compete in Brazilian Jiu jitsu. If so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: rickson.jpg (72 KB, 760x405) Image search: [Google]
rickson.jpg
72 KB, 760x405
Any of you fellas train/compete in Brazilian Jiu jitsu. If so how has this affected your workout regimen?
>>
I got a lot weaker by choosing BJJ over lifting but now I started lifting again. It hasn't really done much to my BJJ game besides making me tired from working out more frequently.
>>
>>35184343
it comes down to priorities...if bjj is your priority you have to change your lifting regiment to compliment your bjj...if not they can get in the way of eachother. if your just having fun you can do everything
>>
>>35184343
What's the difference between Jiu Jitsu and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?
inb4 retard faggot
>>
>>35184611
bjj came from japanese jui jitsu...but bjj has become so popular that people just call it ju jitsu now....people rarle say im going brazilian ju jitsu class they say im goin ju jitsu..
>>
>>35184611
BJJ is new and shinny and is an integral part to being a complete fighter. where as classical jiu jitsu hasnt changed much in the last 100 years. BJJ is more ground game, like wressling (but cool) but classical jiu jitsu includes striking,clinch stuff, and groundgame.
>>
>>35184611
Nothing. "Jiu jitsu" is one romansation of "jujutsu" (can't be fucked writing tge kana) which BRs adopted and has become common use for the martial art "brazilian jiujitsu". It's generally understood that the jiujitsu romansation refer's to the gracie's style and jujutsu refers to the huge array of japanese styles of both armed and unarmed combat.
>>
>>35184611
One went to Brazil and stopped caring if the other one thought it was legit anymore.

There's other meme style like no-gi now too.
>>
>>35184526
i guess id rather be good at choking motherfuckers out than getting a pump. im just wondering what kind of lifting schedule would complement my jiu jitsu abilities.
>>
>>35184683
Except "kano jujutsu" (later renamed judo) was already a splinter group by that point
>>
>>35184717
Ask your coach instead of skinny-fat manlets on a nicaraguan paper mulching board
>>
>>35184343
Went from 3 days to 2 (training jitz 2 days a week) and I could easily do more if I was a NEET or something.
That's all really. Less time for accessory lifts so my routine is more compound-heavy and I do some movement drills after I'm done stretching.
>>
Monday - 2 hours BJJ
Tuesday - Lift (squat, ohp, row, accessory)
Wednesday - 2 hours bjj
Thursday - 1 hour bjj
Friday - Lift (squat, dead, OHP, accessory)

Any comments? Thinking about switching to this from a slightly lighter schedule
>>
>>35185427
so bjj acts as cardio. i like it. but what about chest day?
>>
>>35184611

i have done traditionnal ju jitsu and bjj and the move are the same, the structure of the course is different
>>
File: greyskull lp.jpg (39 KB, 547x465) Image search: [Google]
greyskull lp.jpg
39 KB, 547x465
>>35184717
>im just wondering what kind of lifting schedule would complement my jiu jitsu abilities.
bjjfag here.
don't listen to that faggot.
if you are having trouble with recuperation, up the intensity and drop some volume.
strength > mass anyways, especially if you are competing, because weight classes.

i have removed squats altogether from my regimen, though if you want to do them, you totally can. i recommend the kind where you set the safety pins up high, then squat so low the bar gets racked on the pins, then explode upwards... i don't know the name of that squat variation, but i have seen in preformed.

what i recommend instead are cleans, power cleans, muscle snatches, and snatches.

this really develops explosive strength throughout the entire posterior chain, and it also develops great quad strength.

outside of that, i recommend lots of plyo work, box jumps, rebound jumps, squat hops (i try to go ATG then extend to straight leg).

this has really had an impact on my game, but i play mostly inversions, so leg explosivity is huge to me

other than that, just a regular strength training regimen, like pic related...

maybe add in some accessories from time to time
>>
>>35185533
No, you haven't
>>
>>35185550
to be fair to him, like 95% of the movement is the same.

and bjj of today (10th planet type stuff) is as different from the bjj of helio's day, as bjj was from traditional jiu jitsu..
>>
>>35185561
basically here in tradi you get your belt from kata
in bjj from competition
>and i have also done traditionnal judo and competitive judo cause in my contry its all the same federation so if you take the licence you can attend the bjj, tradi jujitsu ,judo , tradi judo, and selfdefence course
>>
>>35185561
It was from kano jujutsu (later renamed judo) which combined a few different styles of jujutsu, cut some techniques and trained with an emphasis on safety of the practitioner.

Calling any iteration of bjj similar to traditional jujutsu is about as disingenuous as saying american kenpo is the same as kyokushin
>>
>>35185639
i would say its more like saying shito-ryu is the same as shotokan.

and the earlier stuff helio taught was literally nothing but traditional techniques, with a few modifications because he was DYEL
>>
>>35185639
>a combination of different techniques found in jiu jitsu is not jiu jitsu
..?
>>
>>35185726
>no striking
>no weapons
> jujutsu
>>
I just lift before I train.
>>
>>35185497

Oh whoops. Switch out bench press on Friday for OHP.

Accessory work can be anything, but probably swiss ball work and some light LISS cardio.

In a each hour block at my academy, we have about 45 minutes of drilling (not too bad but heart rate is probably chilling around 130-140), then 15 minutes rolling (which almost feels like HIIT). So if I go for two hour blocks my heart rate is up the whole time, even when I am uke for my partner (active recovery?)

I only recently started lifting again, because I want to look good naked and scare people (also while naked). So I am just gonna eat a shit load and lift heavy two days a week. The only comp on the horizon that interests me is february so who cares if I go up in weight
>>
>>35184343
I do BJJ 2 times a week, do weights 4 times a week, Works out good. I'm stronger than most of my oponents when I do comps because I lift.
>>
>>35186702
when i do that i feel like im in a dream where i cant move while being choked out. usually ill lift after cuz im supppper warmed up.
>>
>>35184343
Brown belt. I compete and I only do cleans, squats, push press, BP, and pullups 2 times a week. 6 days x 2 times jiu jutsu a week
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.