[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First Timer at Gym
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: QEhXTgS.jpg (277 KB, 1500x2122) Image search: [Google]
QEhXTgS.jpg
277 KB, 1500x2122
What if the trainer says
>do what i say
>don't do SS/SL
>>
>>35182577
Do SS anyways, it's the GOAT beginner routine

dont fall for the "SS is a meme" meme
>>
>>35182591
so i don't HAVE to do, say the trainer tells me to do solely machines?
i can upright tell him
>i want to do SS
>>
>>35182605
you dont need a trainer tbqh lad

also machine shit is just straight retarded and great for making zero gains

do yourself a favor and actually read the Starting Strength book and do the routine, do the program as he says to, and youll be ok
>>
>>35182591
This desu. Some gym trainers know what they're doing but most of the time when I see them they're putting someone on some bullshit machine circuit.

Just remember that SS is a beginner's routine and that you might be best off switching it up after doing it for a couple months, according to your goals.
>>
>>35182627
i wanted to check out the gym at first and they're probably gonna give me some instructions n stuff with a trainer.
>>
>>35182577
>trainer
>>
>>35182641
>tfw too shy to go to the squat rack and just do squats with the bar
>tfw don't know where to do barbell rows
>>
don't read the SS book unless you have nothing better to do.

do give yourself constant form checks (the full body mirrors are there for a reason) using reputable youtube videos like candito. this program is simple but it requires that your form is correct, and since personal trainers generally cannot be trusted, you're kinda on your own.
>>
>>35182669
Literally everyone should start by warming up with just the bar. Even if your gonna lift lmao3pl8 you should still be warming up with the bar.
>>
>>35182742
SL tells me to do bar only until i manage that 5x5
>>
>>35182759
You can't manage the bar for 5x5?
>>
>>35182799
don't know yet, that's what i'm gonna find out.

where do i do barbell rows? infront of the squat rack or where
>>
>>35182759
If you're just learning how to squat that is a tremendously helpful way to get used to the motion. I'm just saying there's no shame in doing sets with just the bar. Honestly no one at the gym cares how much you can lift. If you do a bunch of sets with just the bar it shows you care about your form.
>>
Even though SS is a beginner routine, the compound lifts are complex, and they are easy to do wrong if haven't studied or you don't have someone knowledgeable helping you.

If your trainer is worth anything, he'll be able to help you with Starting Strength. If they aren't they'll put you on machines because it's "safer". In fact they just aren't equipped to teach someone how to effectively use free weights for compound exercises.

Remember: YOU are paying THEM. Tell them you want to learn how to bench press, squat, and deadlift. If that trainer can help you, ask which one can. If none of them can help you, then try your best on your own or join a different gym.
>>
>>35182825
alright.

guess i'll just chew through the first times with just the bar on the exercises
>>
>>35182833
If I see someone new DYEL at the gym, I'll give them mad props if they're doing the right exercises. As soon as they start the bicep curls, I just smdh
>>
>>35182870
nah dont wanna do curls

only DL,bench,rows, squat
>>
>>35182831
my gym isnt natively english, dont know if they know SS.
i dont pay the trainer for the first trainng exercise
>>
>>35182811
Barbell rows can usually be done wherever there's space. Unless you're extremely weak doing 5x5 with the bar is probably gonna be easy, so don't be afraid to ignore what SL tells you and add weight immediately. Telling everybody to start with the bar is stupid, and the advice from SS is better, i.e. add weight until the movement starts to slow down and go from there. Obviously you should familiarize yourself with the movement first, but that should serve as just a warm-up.

Also, don't be afraid to listen to your body after a while on SL. The rules for when to switch to 3x5 or when to lower the weight increment should be treated as guidelines, and not absolutes.
>>
>>35182833
I would just recommend that you watch a bunch of youtube videos about how to do the lifts you want to do and work on having the most perfect form you can manage. You might notice some mobility problems you will need to work on to get in the correct positions.

Here's a playlist I would recommend about squatting, but there a million good ones out there
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNhFKPjedRnQ0fZAf1v_K6uCPICapzzJc
>>
>>35182896
for rows the programm recommends me bar + 10kg
>>
>>35182896
>Obviously you should familiarize yourself with the movement first, but that should serve as just a warm-up.
watching the SL videos and SS videos over and over

only thing im unsure about is deadlift
looks easy to fail
>>
>>35182591
>falling for the "SS is a meme is a meme" meme

o i am laffin
>>
>>35182922
This guy really helped me with my deadlift.
https://youtu.be/Y1IGeJEXpF4
>>
>>35182914
That's because you usually need at least 10kg plates to get the bar at the right height off the floor for pendlay rows/strict rows unless your gym has large bumpers, same with deadlifts.
>>
>>35182957
saved anon.thanks
>>
>>35182971
yeah, well.
first time SL, so i'm curious how it'll work
>>
>>35182957
and where do i do that? with the bar from the benchpress?
>>
>>35183002
No, your gym should have bars and an area dedicated for deadlifts. Don't be afraid to ask gym staff where the best place to do an exercise would be, that's what they are paid for.
>>
>>35183036
guess you're right
>>
File: SS.jpg (62 KB, 498x643) Image search: [Google]
SS.jpg
62 KB, 498x643
>>35182577
Do push/pull/legs
ABCxABCx
SS is a meme
>>
>>35183060
>ss
>meme
>>
My gym had a free PT session so I took it during my second workout on SL. I figured it'd be great to have a professional give me form checks and keep me on track.

>immediately tries to get me on some crossfit ripoff circuit
>tell him I'm following a program I found and I'd like advice on form since I'm a total beginner
>show him the app on the workout
>"where did you get that"
>"google play"
>"this is just THREE exercises is that all you wanna do?"
>"yup"
>"so all you want to do today is three exercises?"
>"yup"
>walks me through a single rep of a squat and OHP
>tells me to keep my feet straight on the squat and never turn my toes out
>on the OHP he tells me to never bring the bar below the chin since anything beyond that is a wasted movement
>"i'm just walking you through one rep of each because I don't wanna watch your whole workout. I gotta do my own soon. But if you want to work on something more advanced contact me again"
>I thought the entire reason why I had to schedule this days in advance was so he'd have the time to work with me the entire workout
>he goes straight to the locker room to change and start his workout

t-thanks for the free personal training session senpai. Now I know what's in store for paid ones
>>
>>35184474
Everyone knows PTs are totally ignorant and just a waste of time for everyone involved
>>
>>35182872
Don't need them immediately but I'd incorporate accessories before to long.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.