[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bench Press is dead; Long live The Press
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: overhead-press.jpg (219 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
overhead-press.jpg
219 KB, 640x360
What are /fit/'s thoughts on working the The Press while ditching the bench press and doing something like push ups or dips as assistance?
>>
>>35176747
>ditching the bench press and doing something like push ups or dips

pretty much everywhere is gonna be hot
>>
>>35176747
Cus big pecs are aesthetic as fuck. Big shoulders make your arms look smaller.
>>
I don't do bench press. I do dips with added weight, and occassionally some push-ups with a plate on my back.

http://chestsculpting.com/one-of-the-most-powerful-chest-exercises-for-men/
>>
>>35176810
Pretty much everything I ever read by much bigger guys than I says bigger shoulders make your arms look bigger. I mean, they're the top of your fucking arm and all.
>>
ThePressing thread, OP
>>
>>35176810

big shoulders give you the v taper. big shoulders + big lats makes you look real good in clothes.

also powerlifters can't ditch bench press that's 1 of the 3 lifts.
>>
>>35176810
And does a wide chest make your arms appear bigger then?
>>
>>35176882
A wide chest would compliment larger shoulders obviously, from a side view you wouldn't want to look flat, that would be gay. Do the bench and the OHP, make gainz, get laid, go home.
>>
I unironically enjoy the bench press
>>
File: 1424966902786.gif (183 KB, 214x200) Image search: [Google]
1424966902786.gif
183 KB, 214x200
>>35176823
How the fuck are chest dips any better on shoulders than bench press
>>
If you've benched a while, you don't need to bench press often to be pretty good at bench pressing.

You can bench once a month, while military and dipping 2-3 days a week, and continue to increase your bench numbers.

Ignore this if you're benching for PLing.
>>
>>35176747
It's far easier to progress on bench press than ohp since it uses more muscle and typically people are stronger at that movement.

Push ups don't really build muscle or strength at all unless you're very untrained and dips often cause should problems.

Another problem with dips is that you start of with a set weight far higher than the weight of of a barbell so its more difficult to vary the intensity of the movement. All you can go is up basically.
>>
>>35176747
i think the press is more important functionally than the bench. overhead work is generally just more important, but honestly you should really do both. push ups really aren't enough and dips are alright but they kind of load the chest differently. i wouldn't advocate skipping any serious lift like that but if you were going to drop one bench is probably the one you could most do without imo.
>>
>>35176922
They are better for shoulder health, since they keep up / increase mobility where bench press can make your shoulders more stiff.

What comes to shoulder muscle growth, just do OHP.

My original claim was that dips are better for your chest than bench press, making no statement on shoulders.
>>
i dont mind benching though
>>
>>35176992
Sorry senpai, not what you said, was calling out some bullshit in that article you linked
>>
>>35176958
>All you can go is up basically.
What kind of a fat fuck can not do a dipping movement with his body weight? Does that sound in any way healthy?
>>
>>35176973
Shoulder muscles are small, weak and not meant to be pressing huge weights upwards. Your chest has the largest and strongest muscles in your upperbody aside from maybe your lats, they are made to move weight.
>>
http://chadwaterbury.com/should-you-bench-press/
>>
>>35176855
>Pretty much everything I ever read by much bigger guys than I says bigger shoulders make your arms look bigger. I mean, they're the top of your fucking arm and all.
I am not saying small shoulders, just when they are overpowering/huge. Arnold is a prime example though, massive chest, (comparatively) small shoulders, arms are/look massive. Just having your bicep peak above your shoulder makes your arms look far bigger I think.
>>
>>35177011
My bad.

http://lifestyleandstrength.com/dips-vs-bench-press-best-chest-building-exercise/

here's a better article tho
>>
>>35176871
Big shoulders + big lats has made it impossible for me to get a suit anywhere outside of a custom tailor :(
>>
>>35177038
absolutely true. that has nothing to do with being important, however. nearly everyone has the prerequisite mobility to bench but very few people present with even passable pressing patterns initially. you won't move as much weight and you'll stall without accessory work but pressing well is very important for shoulder health. OPs question was stupid to begin with because he should obviously do both, but I don't think benching is a necessity in the same way pressing is.
>>
>>35177028
Lol settle down spazzie, there are plenty of folks who would have trouble doing 3 sets of 8-12 dips who aren't obese. Also what about rehab? If you have an injury you can just take some plates off when bench, you can't do that with dips.

I forgot to make this point in my other post but dips and flat bench press are not the same movement either so one cannot replace the other.

Why not do both?
>>
>>35176823
>bench press is dangerous
>posts a retard screaming doing smithsonian bench press with a fucking spotter
>>
>>35176823
>plates on back
Enjoy your spondylosis
>>
>>35177048
>That’s why I use the one-arm floor press with rotation to build a fighter’s punching power.
>>
>>35176922
lmao that only matters if you have shitty genetics, gtfo
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.