[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to improve vertical jump besides power cleans?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Michael-jordan-dunk[1].jpg (80 KB, 589x406) Image search: [Google]
Michael-jordan-dunk[1].jpg
80 KB, 589x406
How to improve vertical jump besides power cleans?
>>
Bulgarian split squat
Lunges
Jumping practice, odds are technique isn't where it could be.
>>
You can slightly improve your vertical jump with box jumps/power cleans/squats and such, but there is no evidence of any training that increases vertical jump. As far as we know, you can't increase your ratio of fast twitch to slow twitch muscle fibers, and you therefore can't increase your Rate of Force Development, and you therefore can't jump much higher.
>>
>>35167732
Be black
>>
>>35167782
I heard rip talk about that.What would powercleans or boxjumps do to help?Not op just wondering.
>>
>>35167732
the only place vertical jump improves is on the internet
>>
>>35167782
Pure bullshit
Couple months I could barely tough the rim with 1 hand.

Now I can jump from a pretty good distance and double hand the rim, and Ive GAINED weight.
>>
>>35167858
I don't know what kind of fine-tuned effects power cleans are supposed to have compared to squats or box jumps, but I would guess that pretty much any kind of leg strength training would be slightly beneficial to your vertical jump, just from getting stronger legs.
>>
>>35167952
power cleans are pretty much weighted jumps
>>
>>35167952
Also would having not much fast twitch muscles meaning you couldn't jump high.Mean you could run longer before tiring?Since you'd have more slowtwitch muscles.Or do I misunderstand how muscles work?
>>
>>35167732
Just do the fucking power cleans you goddamned pussy. You're like some fucking retard saying "how do I grow chest without bench pressing or doing flies?".

DO THE FUCKING CLEANS
>>
>>35168004
As far as I'm aware slowtwitch muscles are strength whereas fast twitch are explosive.Nothing to do with endurance.
Could be wrong though senpai
>>
>>35168021
I didn't say besides power cleans as in "how do I jump higher without power cleans". I meant it as what can I do ON TOP of power cleans.
>>
>>35167925
>>35167925
maybe you were physically inactive before, and had poor coordination, poor muscle fiber recruitment from your CNS, and had relatively weak legs.

Then you started training, and had some combination of improved coordination/form, better muscle fiber recruitment, and passed a threshold strength with your legs.

However, with someone that is adequately athletic, meaning that they play whatever sport a few times a month, will reap only a few inches gain on their vertical jump from intense training.

ALL star athletes were star athletes when they were kids, because explosiveness depends on your fast twitch muscle fiber count, which is primarily genetic. They haven't found a way to change that yet.
>>
>>35168026
[retracts post internally]

Well do things that would get your PC up like deads and squats, and do some gradual depth jump training to get used to efficiently transferring momentum. I guess you are a basketballer so just keep up your usual training regime for that, you'll get plenty of plyometric gains.
>>
>>35168004
Fast twitch muscle fibers are named so because they contract faster than slow twitch muscle fibers. However, fast twitch muscle fibers run on ATP, which gets burned up fast during anaerobic exercise, which is short-duration stuff, like a heavy squat or a 100m dash. After a short time, your ATP stores in your cells are exhuasted, and take about 3 minutes to replenish. Once the ATP is burned up, you use a different metabolic pathway, which your fast twitch fibers can't utilize but your slow twitch fibers can. You use both types of fibers at first, but after the Adenosine Tri Phosphate (I think) is gone, you're using only slow twitch.
>>
>>35168030
F = ma
>a = F/m
>Higher strength-to-weight ratio gives higher acceleration
>v = at (from zero v)
>height reached = (v^2)/(2*g) for v = vertical launch velocity

tl;dr high school physics disagrees with your assessment. Getting stronger (higher force production) without gaining mass disproportionately must result in higher vertical leap regardless of the muscle's characteristics.
>>
>>35168068
Could have stopped at acceleration derivation
>>
>>35167732
PLYO-FUCKING-METRICS

squats (and hip thrusts!) for strength... plyo work to express that strength explosively.

deep squat hops (use your hands on your knees to push off to really explode out of the whole - the more explosive the better, make sure you decelerate slowly when you land)
box jumps
more box jumps
straight-leg box jumps
rebound jumps
hurdle hops

there are lots of other plyometrics too that are useful, but those are some of my favorite to really build that explosivity.

in addition to power cleans, consider muscle snatches.

also regular cleans and snatches.
>>
>>35168024
>>35168060
Thanks for the replies very interesting I will definitely look into this.
>>
>>35167858
your vertical is not your box jump.

you can't really train your vertical.

you can train your box jump, and get DRASTICally huge results.
>>
>>35168120
whats the difference?I assume op can still learn to jump high as fuck using box jumps no?
>>
>Didnt get a chance to play hs sports
>Outclass normies who got scholarships to schools
>>
>>35168068
>>35168068
It's not as simple as Force. You have to consider Power, F*d/t, or F*v

This isn't a question of maximum force, this is a question of maximum energy. Your legs have to produce as much kinetic energy as possible in a given amount of time. Maximum Force is a factor in this, but it is not the only factor. The Rate of Force Development is also a very strong factor, and so is the speed at which your muscles can contract.

If we follow your line of logic, then if you can throw a baseball 50 yards, then you should be able to throw a golfball 500 yards easily, yet this is very far from every happening. Your hand just doesn't move fast enough to keep imparting energy into the golfball.
>>
>>35168030
>ALL star athletes were star athletes when they were kids

Dear God, this board gets more insane every day.
>>
>>35168729
I'm not saying that they were playing on a national team when they were 13, I'm saying that they were naturally very athletic when they were 13. They were already faster than other kids. They were already better at sports than other kids
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.