[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Can't We Purify our own Blood?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11
File: blood facial.jpg (59 KB, 520x387) Image search: [Google]
blood facial.jpg
59 KB, 520x387
There are stories of bone marrow transplants healing conditions and of other similar phenomena.

Why can't blood be purified at home? Can it be boiled, etc.?
>>
What do you mean by purified? Are you trying to extract a certain component of the blood? What the hell are you trying to cure?

You can boil blood, but you'll destroy all the red cells, white cells, platelets, and plasma proteins. So it won't be good for much.
>>
>>35157929
Centrifuges are expensive.
>>
>>35158006
Well, the idea includes viruses, potentially gut microbes, oxidation, etc.
>>
File: 1443644932670.gif (89 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1443644932670.gif
89 KB, 600x450
There are layers of retardation here that I would have never imagined possible.
>>
>>35158029

As far as gut bacteria infecting the bloodstream goes, antibiotics are much safer than whatever it is you're proposing. removing the bacteria from the entire bloodstream without damaging the cells would be incredibly difficult, and transfusions of healthy blood have their own sets of risks. Anyone with sepsis will have blood cultures drawn and susceptibilities done to determine the best antibiotic to use on their particular infection.

Intracellular viruses like HIV would have to involve removing a persons entire population of helper T-cells, which are ridiculously important in the immune system. Even then, removing all the circulating virus is something outside any technology that I'm aware of. Viruses are much more difficult to kill than bacteria because they use host cells to multiply, so killing them involves killing part of the host.

Oxidation is simply a fact of life. Our cells experience oxidative stress just from normal metabolism. Get enough antioxidants and it's not a huge concern until old age when the cumulative effects of oxidation over decades of just being alive accumulate. It's just plain impossible to eliminate the damages of oxidation completely. And certainly not a problem limited to anything in the blood.
>>
>>35157929
>Why can't blood be purified at home? Can it be boiled
God knows my blood is boiling from reading this stupid shit.
>>
>>35158158
>>35158279
IDK if you've tried typing in if blood can boil for health benefits, but there's probably little on the topic.

It's really not that odd. You could manipulate pressure repeatedly to "boil" it.
>>
>>35158805
Do you even know what blood is for and what it does? Why the fuck would you want to boil it
And why are you retarded enough that fucking up your blood could bring health benefits
>>
>>35158837
Because returning semi-intact blood probably requires less resources and is quicker than making fresh blood.

Any here ever read about blood transfusions benefiting any health situations beyond what's standard? Is it even plausible? If you could replace enough blood, through whatever method, eradicating potential oddities could be really beneficial.

Boiling is obviously just an idea that hasn't been discussed much. Put your panties back where they go, pls. They're actually making blood:

http://time.com/4084149/scientists-have-found-a-way-to-make-red-blood-cells/

http://www.medicaldaily.com/scientists-create-artificial-blood-can-be-produced-industrial-scale-limitless-supply-blood-276830
>>
Can't tell if you're trolling or retarded, but to anyone who honestly believes this has merit please read a biology textbook.
>>
>>35157929
>tfw no gf who bathes in the blood of my enemies
Just give me a peasants death
>>
>>35158925
How is boiled blood in any way -semi-intact"? It's fucking destroyed senpai
>>
Is this the /vampire general/?
Do you boil the blood with or without limbs?
>>
File: 1440096495486.jpg (238 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1440096495486.jpg
238 KB, 900x1200
>>35158805
Nigger I'm a biochemist, I know exactly what's going to happen if you try boiling your blood.

If you'd have any idea what blood contains or how any of it functions you would not be asking any of these absolutely retarded questions.

I suggest you go ahead and try it anyways since you seem too goddamn stupid to live.
>>
That's how you make chocolate agar
>>
ITT: Retards

There's a cure for cancer which involves drawing the blood out one side of the body, into a machine which heats it up and pumps it back into the other side
>>
>>35158957
Hemoglobin, nutrients or something, etc.
>>
>>35157929
protip
leave your blood the fuck alone - it has your life in it, your energy
>>
Put a raw steak into a pot of boiling water and you'll see what happens to the blood in it

Nigga u dumb
>>
>ITT: /fit/ can't get over a single word in the OP
Fuckoff.
>>
>>35159188
>There's a cure for cancer
>>
>>35158925
>Boiling is obviously just an idea that hasn't been discussed much

it's about as retarded as believing in a flat earth
please take biochem 101 before spewing garbage on the internet

for the record: boiling denatures proteins. denaturing proteins makes them unable to perform their biological function.

boiling blood would leave you with a messy sludge of destroyed blood cells that no longer do anything. you just turned your blood into organic waste.
>>
>>35159464
>boiling denatures proteins. denaturing proteins makes them unable to perform their biological function.
Pffffffffff.
>>
File: 1244515634090.jpg (21 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1244515634090.jpg
21 KB, 350x350
>>35157929
You clearly are some kid that hasn't been to high school biology or taken the time to google something.
>>
>>35157929
>>>/sci/
>>
File: JJWatt.jpg (92 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
JJWatt.jpg
92 KB, 853x480
>this thread
Confirms that /fit/ is full of stupid meatheads and underage fags who don't even know the benefits of boiling your blood. Damn this place has changed
>>
>>35159464
But I can boil other peoples blood and drink it like a protein filled gains soup right?
>>
>>35160902
If you really want to steal their gains you need to consume their livers raw.
>>
File: 1412289080895.jpg (23 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
1412289080895.jpg
23 KB, 500x359
>>35157929
>can it be boiled?
>>
WTF. Do you mean dialysis? Our kidneys already does purify our blood.
>>
File: 1427671751696.gif (957 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
1427671751696.gif
957 KB, 500x418
>>35157929
>the concept of boiling blood
>>
>>35157929
this thread reminds of the underwater weighing test shit
>>
>>35158925
parabiosis experiments revealed an anti-aging component (GDF 11) in the blood of young mice.
http://www.nature.com/news/ageing-research-blood-to-blood-1.16762

obviously there is no boiling involved.
>>
>>35159299
It's an elaborate suicide
>>
>>35157929
Jesus christ you are retarded.

Pls do a google search before starting retarded threads
>>
>>35160902
>>35160921
There is something in blood that helps with making some of the -globins iirc. Bit like if you make bone broth there's some MCHC in there and that's good for bones I guess. Black pudding maybe?
>>
>>35157929
Go to b into a you rage you lose thread, it will make your blood boil
>>
There is this thing called Hijama in Islam.

"Hijama (Arabic: حجامة lit. "sucking") is the Arabic traditional medicine for wet cupping, where blood is drawn by vacuum from a small skin incision for therapeutic purposes."

Link to wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijama
>>
File: 1437645681529.png (285 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1437645681529.png
285 KB, 1280x960
>>35161396
I have no idea whether you're trolling or actually retarded, but this is making me legitimately upset way more than it should. So congrats, consider me successfully buttflustered.
>>
>>35157929
Give it a try for science

Report results here
>>
File: bb.jpg (125 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bb.jpg
125 KB, 1920x1080
>>35157929
We Bloodborne now
>>
>>35161655
Vaguely remembered truth makes you angry?
>>
>>35161638
Don't the Chinese have something similar in acupuncture?
>>
Garlic purifies the blood, plebs.
>>
>>35157929
If you seriously want some a legitimate blood treatment for good health, make a blood donation.

Phlebotomies help rid the body of excess metals that we absorb from food, doesn't put stress on the body to work overtime to filter it out
>>
>>35158279
Easy there, Sledgehammer
>>
File: 1448666117379.gif (2 MB, 421x384) Image search: [Google]
1448666117379.gif
2 MB, 421x384
>>35158006
>boiling removes protein
There's that fad science again.

Beyond that, is there anything decent remaining that would define the idea as an early alternative to synthetic blood for purification? If no - not even through pressure manipulation for staggered boiling? Couldn't that affect viruses in a manner (IDK, maybe they implode or something) that doesn't completely reduce the value of the blood? It's not exactly clear, the mechanisms viruses influence cells with (on a material level), and maybe they're (or those cells are) susceptible to some process that neutralizes what the immune system hasn't.

Reader warning: 90% of this thread (up through 50 posts right now) adds nothing to the discussion because of a single word (boiled) in the OP, not even any sources on why that would be "completely worthless". The point is about ideas for purification. If you have nothing actually for discussion, fuck off.
>>
>>35162662

If a virus has taken over a cell, that cell is FUCKED and just needs to die. When the immune system detects a virally infected cell, a cytotoxic T-cell hits the self-destruct button on that cell and it implodes. Even if you could somehow selectively kill the virus, the afflicted cells will keep making more viruses. Also, viruses are way more durable than our cells are. They have essentially zero metabolic needs, so disrupting their ability to function would require more stress than a blood cell, with all their metabolic and environmental needs, could take.
>>
>>35157929
>start boiling my blood for gains
>lyses all my RBCs
>get jaundice and renal failure from hemoglobin overload
>hyperkalemia and hypermagnesemia make send my heart into arrhythmias
>platelet count now under 5k, start spontaneously bleeding
> boiled all my clotting factors and denatured them so I just bleed out
> haha what a great idea
>>
>>35162662
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denaturation_(biochemistry)

heating up proteins fucks em up. Taking blood up to 100C would kill all the cells
>>
I laughed far too hard because of this thread
>>
>>35164603
>>example of renaturation is that an egg white can be uncooked using vitamin C or sodium borohydride.
"Fucks up proteins" is naught "makes them worthless".
>>
>>35157929
/fit/ - Blood boilers
>>
I hear there are significant health benefits from getting transfusions of blood from young bodies, especially if you're older. Maybe now that we're making synthetic blood old billionaires will stop buying baby blood on the black market.
>>
>>35165488
Supposedly people with various diseases that require regular blood transfusions can tell if the blood came from a young/healthy person or an older/unhealthy person. Or even if their diet was clean or shit.
>>
>>35165488

Were it so easy. But every time someone gets a transfusion, there's a risk they'll be sensitized to one of the antigens on the blood cells they're transfused with. There's way more blood types than just ABO and Rh (which has more than just positive or negative), and each one has antigens that someone could start reacting to as if it were a pathogen. People who require constant transfusions get harder and harder to find compatible blood for to the point where you have to give them blood that will cause the weakest reactions. But every blood transfusion has risks of causing a serious reaction.

It'd be nice if we could make blood without antigens, but the antigens are functional parts of the blood cells. Even synthetic blood would probably risk sensitizing events...assuming it exists, it's not something I'm familiar with.
>>
>>35165536
> >>35158925
>>
>>35165536
Could you not just stick to the same blood type with the same antigens?
>>
>>35165622

With all the different antigens out there, it's be too difficult and cost-prohibitive to find a perfect match. Especially if the donor lacks an antigen that most people (meaning most donors) do have. Somewhat luckily, recipients don't always get sensitized, and the first time you encounter a foreign blood antigen won't cause a reaction. You can give an Rh negative person Rh positive blood once, but after that there are decent odds they'll have a reaction the next time. Rh just happens to be the group that someone is most likely to get sensitized to, so it's best to avoid using an Rh mismatch unless you have to. But people do get tested between transfusions, and we can detect if they'll produce an antibody and what that exact antibody is, and donor units are checked to ensure we don't give them that particular antigen again.

ABO is different because people produce antibodies to A and B antigens naturally. You can't give someone an ABO mismatch even once without causing their shit to get royally fucked. "Sense of impending doom" is an actual medical symptom of an ABO transfusion mismatch.
>>
>>35165758
I see. I wonder if that could be circumvented with artificial blood.

Thanks for the informative posts, anon.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.