[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come so many pro athletes are able to get both so good at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: wrestler.jpg (30 KB, 720x523) Image search: [Google]
wrestler.jpg
30 KB, 720x523
How come so many pro athletes are able to get both so good at their sport AND get big and muscular? I started wrestling and it seems like you need to choose between either. To get good I train wrestling 4 or 5 times a week, which not only burns a ton of calories but also leaves room for 2 lifting sessions a week. How are they able to get so juicy? Is it genetics? I'm stuck at 172 lbs at 6'1 but would like to hit 200 lbs.

TL;DR: How to get big and good at sport? How do they do it?
>>
Let me blow your mind real quick
It's possible to train for a sport and lift on the same day
>>
>>35150824

Top level athletes (pro or amateur) are able and willing to dedicate a fuckton of time to exercise, diet and recovery.

They also may or may not have genetic and chemical advantages.
>>
>>35150824

hmm.. perhaps because it's their job to train and stay fit
>>
>>35150831
This changes everything
>>
>>35150831
I got told that it "overtrains" you but maybe that's bro science
>>
>>35150854
I too am willing to dedicate, lifting and wrestling is all I do when I'm not studying. Maybe I could lift more often though
>>
>>35150824
Karelin was a genetic outlier. Absolute beast. He was 185 lbs and 5'11 at 10 years old or something absurd like that. Plus the soviet union was notorius for its use of anabolic steroids in sports. Wrestling is brutally taxing and I think that for your weight class adding muscle could be detrimental. I would rather be a badass wrestler that can manhandle adversaries easily than a big muscular meathead who can't fight for shit.
>>
Op I wrestle 160 varsity and I lift everyday alongside of season practice, srsly, quit being a pussy and lift
>>
>>35150824
Pro athletes have no real responsibilities except to train for their sport. It's their job. They dont train for a few hours a day, they train all day every day
>>
>>35150824
Probably because a few guys have an insane appetite, and a godlike hormonal profile. This is what separates the gold medalists from the rest.
>>
>>35150824
every elite athlete is on roids.
>>
>>35151194
>Pro athletes have no real responsibilities except to train for their sport. It's their job.
except you get paid jackshit to be an olympian. several olympians come from universities or have side jobs. you don't know what you are talking about.
>>
>>35150890
over training is going to be case by case. I work a physical job and lift 3-4 times a week and cycle 3-4 times a week too. I have to take a few days off to recover when I notice my lifts are starting to fail. I doubt you are going to overtrain with a 3-4 hours of training/physical work a day even at 6-7 days a week, but at 10-12 hours a day for 6-7 days a week then its almost assured that you will reach that point.
>>
are you getting your post-wrestling protein supplement? all those sweaty crotches in your face, you better be sucking a few off for those gains
>>
>>35151237
>all pro athletes are olympians

you stupid retard
>>
>>35150890
Saying that over training is a myth is bro science but the threshold of working hard and overworking varies per person. Things like diet fitness level sleep cycle and genetics determine how hard you can work your body until it breaks
>>
>>35150824

Eat more lift more. You just have to find the time. If not, you won't make it. Simple as.
>>
>>35151223
this
>>
>>35150890
Overtraining is a real thing. It's also pretty hard to do UNLESS you're a professional athlete. You probably don't have enough time in your day dedicated to training to over train otherwise.

>inb4 NEET

If you are NEET, you are too lazy to over train.
>>
>>35151256
No, I eat tuna after lifting but I don't go crazy on the protein after wrestling since I didn't think you were building muscles from it. I usually grab some oat meal or yoghurt afterwards
>>
>>35151294
I once went to 5 sparring sessions and had 1 lifting session in the coarse of 4 days and I could barely move the next day; everything hurted as fuck. Can you increase what your body can take before getting overworked? I feel that it wasn't that much exercise
>>
File: de la riva.jpg (80 KB, 900x491) Image search: [Google]
de la riva.jpg
80 KB, 900x491
>>35151722
Posted this the other day in another thread:

I started lifting 3 days a week while doing jiu jitsu 9 days a week (mwf lift, jiu jitsu m-s, doubles on the days I didn't lift). I now lift 4 days a week, jiu jitsu 7 days a week, doubles on the days I don't lift. I've been lifting 2 years, jiu jitsu for 8. Your body just adjusts to the increased workload over time. I can't even remember the last time I had doms.
>>
>>35151754
*9 TIMES a week.
>>
>>35150824
Nigga, that's Karelin you are posting. I shook his hand once when I was a kid. He is massive. Absolutely fucking massive

Man is a genetic wonder 1 in a billion
>>
>>35151754
> 9 days a week
>>35151762
> 9 times a week

Keep changing your story there bud, eh?
>>
>>35151754
That's impressive. How much do you sleep and eat?
>>
>>35151825
I sleep between 7-8 hours a day. I haven't tracked my calories in a while (stopped caring about abs) but the last time I did, I was eating 3500 calories on a slight cut. I'm 6'1 and was cutting from 220 down to 190. Right now, I'm back up to about 200 and I would estimate I eat maybe 4000-4500 calories.
>>
>>35151754
That's comforting.
>tfw just started jiu jitsu
>tfw so sore cannot move
>>
>>35150824
that's why there's an offseason you damned fool.

even if you're in season and don't care about making weight just eat more and maybe do full body 2-3x a week if you dont have time.
>>
>>35150854
To get
>1 Olympic asshole
You must first have
>An early start (Compete seriously by Middle or High school)
>Great genetics (Your father and mother were probably great swimmers or runners or lifters)
>Lots of time (People pay you to get good. You don't need to spend time working at an office or doing homework to pass Math 101)
>And lots of support (Coaches, aides, fans, parents, friends)

Take out good genetics and an early start and after 1 year, you'd have the body of a man who's been lifting for 3.

I'm not trivializing the hard work and dedication most Olympic athletes put into their routines, but if EVERYONE had the same opportunities they had, then there'd probably be some random dude from Bumfuck Kentucky that could beat even Michael Phelps in the 100 meter freestyle.
>>
>>35151267
your post doesn't negate my argument by one bit
>>
>>35151754
>bjj 9 days a week
if you are not sparring it doesnt even count as a workout fagit
>>
>>35150824
Competence is an attractive trait, and athletes are very attractive regardless of their body types. They all have ups and downs; for instance, a powerlifting female has a scrumptious booty but is always sore. All bodies are beautiful, except fat ones.
>>
>>35150824
dont you guys have to starve yourselves to make weight
>>
>>35151924
Me too hardly got through my second class but pushed through it. Can't wait to get better
>>
>>35150824
You're a pussy or a genetic weakling or don't get to eat/sleep/relax enough. I rowed varsity crew in college (6 rowing workouts plus 5 erg sessions plus 3 lifts a week) and trained Jiu Jitsu three nights a week on top of it for years.
>>
>>35151237
Olympians, by definition, aren't pro athletes as the olympics is an amateur competition.

Which is why you don't see Federer et al getting gold medals for tennis
>>
>>35150824
They roid, OP.
>>
File: 1448294953397.jpg (35 KB, 602x376) Image search: [Google]
1448294953397.jpg
35 KB, 602x376
>>35150824
what if i told you they take performance enhancing DRUGS?
>>
>>35154967

The Olympics stopped being amateur-only back in the 80s.

A lot of pros avoid the Olympics for various reasons (mostly that it'd interfere with their actual professional work and nowhere in the west pays its Olympians as much as they could get on their regular contract or prize money) but they would be able to compete if they went through the qualifying process. In the case of tennis, it has largely been dominated by professional tennis players.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.